Author Topic: Bentley Jones Teases “So Much More” Remix  (Read 16787 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Bentley Jones Teases “So Much More” Remix
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 09:04:01 pm »
The thing is that Kart racers = moscots. Not tributes to racing games.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 10:42:49 pm »
I do love my SASRT on my vita for quick play or sometimes just to watch the scenery and listenin to the awesome remixed SEGA's music.
No matter how you guys may not like it, at least it's still a lot lot better than Atari Karts.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 12:10:12 am »
I think ASRT is better in alot of ways than Mario Kart 8 and in a lot of ways worse. I think the variety of characters, challenge modes, tracks are all ace. I even think having 3 styles of racing is a good idea. I like the way it handles for cars.

But Mario Kart 8 has better overall handling, ASRT had this weird physics thing with water that screwed up runs and was frustrating. Mario Kart's track selection is a lot of repeats and their character selection is laughable.

I really hope they make a new one with improvements, I think it can do really, really well.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 07:56:12 am »
The weapons... I wasn't so bothered with. I get that Sumo is making a SEGA All-Stars title, but I think they have the right to make the game their own in some areas.

Make it their own by ctrl+C, ctrl+V'ing Mario Kart?

That was my biggest disappointment in the game, as well as having it very item heavy in the first place.

I guess that's what Sega wanted, and it seemed to work for them. This arcade racer dinosaur has no place in this world anymore :(

I don't get what you guys mean when you say there wasn't enough Sega representation. They hit all the key, major franchises with Transformed, stuff like Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead, NiGHTS, Space Channel 5, even brought out frigging Burning Rangers just for fun. I can kind of understand not liking how much Sonic Team rep was in the game, but if it was JUST Sonic being represented, then we'd get people complaing about no Ristar, no NiGHTS, etc.

It would be cool if they hit some of the more recent Sega givings, Hatsune Miku, Madworld, and Bayonetta for example, or more obscure stuff like Vectorman, but for imo Transformed gave a very well-rounded roster that represented a good chunk of history (with the exception of Danica Patrick, I still don't understand why she was in the game).

Billy Hatcher had like, 3 fucking tracks in the game. That alone meant I will never, ever play it.

I think ASRT is better in alot of ways than Mario Kart 8 and in a lot of ways worse. I think the variety of characters, challenge modes, tracks are all ace. I even think having 3 styles of racing is a good idea. I like the way it handles for cars.

You're not alone, I commonly see people laud Transformed as a really good kart racer, that's better than MK8 in a lot of ways.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 08:19:30 am »
Make it their own by ctrl+C, ctrl+V'ing Mario Kart?

In what sense? Nearly every kart racer has similar items because there are only so many ways you can attack and affect vehicles. Unguided projectiles, guided projectiles, vision obscuring, reversed controls, attack the leader, speed up. While ASR and ASRT didn't use SEGA-inspired things for items, the effects would be the same and people would still be complaining about the Mario Kart comparison. When it comes to weapons in any kart racing game, Mario Kart is brought up because it was the first to use what has since become common kart racing items.

I give ASRT credit for doing a good job with the balance of items, and in some cases items function better in ASRT than Mario Kart. For example, the hornets attack punishes first place racers but still gives them a chance to evade the attack.

Billy Hatcher had like, 3 fucking tracks in the game. That alone meant I will never, ever play it.

Moody was referring to Transformed, Transformed only had one Billy Hatcher track. While the original game had three, let's not forget that Sumo did this across the board with tracks. The original did have weak track variety, but are you serious in saying that you have never actually played the original All-Stars Racing and that is your excuse? In that case, is it worth debating with you when you just said you have never played the game to begin with?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 08:49:15 am »
Moody was referring to Transformed, Transformed only had one Billy Hatcher track. While the original game had three, let's not forget that Sumo did this across the board with tracks. The original did have weak track variety, but are you serious in saying that you have never actually played the original All-Stars Racing and that is your excuse? In that case, is it worth debating with you when you just said you have never played the game to begin with?

Well we aren't really debating, I'm just saying why I don't like the look of it.

No I haven't played it (well I played the demo of the first but the demo was either legitimately broken or something), I thought this was common knowledge that I can barely stomach the game. It's not just the tracks but a large factor of things, primarily that I don't particularly like the look of the game play, the selected characters, tracks, weapons etc. Basically nothing in the game looks appealing to me.

It was the same for Sonic Generations, I finally decided to try it earlier this year, and gave up when it required me to start collecting keys or something to progress.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 09:45:04 am »
You quit Generations because of the 4 mini-games you have to do?
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 09:53:36 am »

Because I didn't find it fun enough to continue revisiting levels of mini-games, yes.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 10:00:35 am »
So you've never played ASR outside of the demo? Was it PS3? Because from what I recall the PS3 demo was the Billy Hatcher track.

Anyway, I gotta say that right now you are embodying one of my biggest gaming pet peeves: people who have a strong dislike for a game they never even played. While you are right in some points on the original's negatives, the fact that you have never even played the game outside of a demo on a Billy Hatcher track, and only with AI racers to boot, makes your strong opinions on the game invalid.

Here we are on page three discussing the game that you've hardly played, yet you can type: "I do recall that SASAR was one monumental disappointment after another to the point it made me want to drink bleach. Then I realised I didn't really care that much after all."

Regarding Generations and the keys, each Zone/World had ten side missions each scattered above the main entrance in the hub world. All you had to do was play ONE side mission to progress. So really, you're making excuses and making the game out to be more difficult than it actually was. Many of the side missions featured unique maps and objectives pulled from the classic games. If the game required EVERY side mission to progress, then I'd agree it is too much, but it is ONE side mission to progress. That's it. Compare that to Colors where you have around seven acts per zone and you have to complete every single one to move on.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 10:04:59 am »
At least the minigames in Generations had variety. Sure, you had time trial and and racing for every level, but all the others were at least unique to that specific level, and if you didn't like the selection for one Sonic, you could switch to the other Sonic and get another, totally different set of mini-games with just as much variety. You're not revisiting the same levels, you're doing new challenges in the backdrop of those levels. I don't see what your deal is.

Back on topic, MadeMan, your opinion of arcade kart racers having no place in this day and age is just flat out false. People have different tastes, I myself don't really like realistic racing games, I can never get a hold of their handling for very long. The only one I've invested very much time into was Sega GT 2002, and even then I don't really like it that much. I'm all over arcade-style racers though, I just think they're a lot more fun, and of course there's bad ones, but saying they have no place in this world is just flat-out uncalled for.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 10:07:33 am »

Wasn't it only three? One for Genesis, one for Dreamcast, one for Modern. That is a really weak excuse if that is the case. Side missions descriptions are clearly laid out, so you know what each one entails and you can pick and choose. Many are a few minutes each tops, and while not every one is a winner (the Vector one comes to mind) there are more than enough good ones per zone to make it a non-issue.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10:17 am »
^ You had to do one minigame per level, but the Sonic you did it with didn't matter. So you had to do three minigames total in each world, after completing both versions of each main level.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 10:13:16 am »
^ You had to do one minigame per level, but the Sonic you did it with didn't matter. So you had to do three minigames total in each world, after completing both versions of each main level.

That's right, 3 per world, 9 in all out of 90. So the game only requires 9 out of 90 missions to be completed to progress. It's a cake walk.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 10:17:57 am »
So you've never played ASR outside of the demo? Was it PS3? Because from what I recall the PS3 demo was the Billy Hatcher track.

Anyway, I gotta say that right now you are embodying one of my biggest gaming pet peeves: people who have a strong dislike for a game they never even played. While you are right in some points on the original's negatives, the fact that you have never even played the game outside of a demo on a Billy Hatcher track, and only with AI racers to boot, makes your strong opinions on the game invalid.

Here we are on page three discussing the game that you've hardly played, yet you can type: "I do recall that SASAR was one monumental disappointment after another to the point it made me want to drink bleach. Then I realised I didn't really care that much after all."

Regarding Generations and the keys, each Zone/World had ten side missions each scattered above the main entrance in the hub world. All you had to do was play ONE side mission to progress. So really, you're making excuses and making the game out to be more difficult than it actually was. Many of the side missions featured unique maps and objectives pulled from the classic games. If the game required EVERY side mission to progress, then I'd agree it is too much, but it is ONE side mission to progress. That's it. Compare that to Colors where you have around seven acts per zone and you have to complete every single one to move on.

You're taking me too seriously Barrington, my irrational hatred for the game has been a running joke with me and members of this forum for a while.

I'm not saying the game is mechanically bad, I even pointed out to George I keep hearing good things about transformed. I just don't want to play it, because it doesn't appeal to me. I'm not particularly fond of Kart racers, and when I was disappointed to the level of drinking bleach I explained because it was basically nothing like I wanted or expected and ended up being 'Mario Kart with Sonic'. I don't think we can really argue that.

As for Generations, it's nothing to do with difficulty so much as I just wasn't having fun and stopped playing. I did a few side missions already and they felt like padding. I just wanted to get on with the main levels (which also weren't pulling me in by the balls to be honest) and then seeing the game have an unlock mechanic through these side missions, I just thought, 'Eh, don't feel like playing this right now' and then I never went back to it.

It's not a case of 'this is too hard', but rather, 'this game is already barely holding my attention, backtracking with even less fun side missions = I don't feel like playing anymore'.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 10:19:22 am »
Never take Mademan's posts seriously, got it!