Author Topic: Sonic Boom Discussion Thread (TV, Games, and Everything Else)  (Read 53512 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Sonic Boom Discussion Thread (TV, Games, and Everything Else)
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2014, 06:13:51 pm »
Looks like a wanabe Mickey Mouse..

George, when will your review be up?
Hopefully this week, I'm aiming for Thursday.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2014, 07:02:57 pm »
I thought Episode 3 started off strongly but faded as it went on. Episode 4 was bad though but I'll admit that's because I just don't like Sticks at all, I think typically most kids won't mind that so it's fine.

To be honest though do we have any reason why Sticks was introduced? Was it to bring up the number of females in the show?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2014, 07:44:20 pm »
She is the Dale Gribble of the Sonic Universe, she just needs better writing imo.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2014, 01:32:26 am »
Honestly I don't get Sticks either outside of IIRC what was said differentiating the plot in Sonic Boom 3DS (Amy is captured). The other part of the logic I'm guessing is that they want to contribute new characters to the Sonic franchise so that it gives more validation to Sonic Boom itself, which isn't bad in itself but it works towards the franchise making more of an impression. To that end, her outfit is less "modern" than the other Sonic cast, she wears animal skins for example.

I don't know how much importance we're supposed to assign to any Marine/Aika comparisons.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2014, 03:30:54 am »
So I heard that Bob Rafei denied the podcast interview, due to schedule reasons...

...reminds me of politicians when they call of meeting on TV when they screw up ;)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2014, 10:00:02 am »
Just some speculation of mine of the franchise's development timeline:

Here is my thought process of the Sonic Boom timeline - and the SEGAbits Sanzaru interview which goes up in a few hours backs up some bits from my speculation:

Project Apollo (before "Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric"): I'm of the mindset, and the concept art leaked from what we now know as Rise of Lyric supports this, that the project was initially something very different. In 2007 SEGA president Simon Jeffrey stated "We are actually undergoing a fairly considerable refresh of Sonic as an intellectual property, as a character" and "We're not going to be bringing another game out on the other platforms for quite some time, because we feel that it is time to reinvent Sonic, to make Sonic contemporary again. At the same time, even the recent 360 and Playstation 3 games have sold extremely well. Sonic is still an extremely endearing character; there's still a lot of love for Sonic out there in consumerland."

source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/161224/time-to-reinvent-sonic-says-sega-boss/

Well guess what, in 2008 Sonic Unleashed released. My guess is, SEGA of Japan and Sonic Team disagreed with SEGA West's idea of putting Sonic on pause and refreshing the brand. But it seems SEGA West was persistent and they sides agreed on the side-series idea we have now, a Western developed Sonic Heroes-style game. How do we know this? In 2010, SEGA's Mike Hayes stated "Then you’ve got something we haven’t seen for a while, which is like Sonic Heroes, multiplay-type game."

source: http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/4701-cvg-interview-segas-mike-hayes/

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric: This is when the Rise of Lyric we know now started to take shape. While the team were still pushing radical designs, Sonic Team pushed back (as revealed in BRB interviews) and characters underwent less of a redesign. Also, with the Wii U deal SEGA had, development shifted from multi-platform to Wii U which lead to issues with the CryEngine and cutting co-op in half.

Now here's some more speculation:

Sonic Boom TV: SEGA wanted a Sonic TV series, saw the already in development Project Apollo, and decided to have the French animation OuiDo! studio work in partnership with BRB so that the two could form the Sonic Boom brand. However, since the BRB game had undergone so much development of their own, and the cartoon was finding its own look and feel, there were some elements that didn't line up. the Wii U game had the character designs and both shared NPCs, but the game lacked much of the TV show locations, Sticks, and had more of a snarky sarcastic vibe. Eggman was more of a threat in the game as well.

Basically, SEGA allowed OuiDo! develop what they felt would be the best for their show, and didn't tie them down so much to the BRB game's locations, attitude, enemies, and (Lyric and the ancient robots are absent from the TV show). The two did however attempt some late additions to reference one another - Sticks is an NPC in the Wii U game and the TV show's first episode features Tails' Wii U airplane and the enerbeam. Note that Tails' Wii U airplane is quickly destroyed in the first episode and later we see a totally different plane. Also note that the enerbeams have only made one appearance in the intro of the first episode. I honestly think the first episode's intro was a late addition to the series, bringing in a few game elements.

Shattered Crystal: As revealed in our upcoming interview with Sanzaru, there was very little BRB collaboration and much of the designs and concepts came from the TV show. In fact, the 3DS game has much more in common with the show, from locations and characters to bonus items from episodes (wonder if Buster appears?). The 3DS game likely began development once the TV show had a fair amount of episodes produced, allowing the team to almost exclusively draw inspiration from the show. The only BRB connections are Lyric and the enerbeam.

Summing it up:  The creation of the Boom franchise likely went like this: 2007 SEGA West wanted to drastically reinvent Sonic - remember, Simon Jeffrey was the SEGA president obsessed with reinventing classic SEGA IPs (Golden Axe Beast Rider, Alien Syndrome). SEGA of Japan and Sonic Team said "no", eventually Simon left but the idea lived on. In 2009 SEGA east and west agreed that SEGA West could develop a side-series with Sonic Heroes style gameplay. Meanwhile, Sonic Team was releasing Colors, Generations, and SLW. SEGA's Nintendo deal leads to the spinoff becoming a Wii U exclusive, which threw a wrench in development. Around this time, SEGA also wanted to make a TV series and either the series was initially developed separate and influenced the Wii U game changing direction, or SEGA felt the TV series had a better idea of reinventing Sonic than BRB and had both work together. This leads to inconsistencies between the show and the Wii U game. The 3DS game starts development much later, and almost exclusively uses the TV show as inspiration, making it much more in line with the show and comics. 

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2014, 11:21:01 am »
So are you saying that Sega West had a bigger influence on the development of Sonic Boom, then East? If so, that would make total sense, the game looks like it's catering more towards a Western audience than anything.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2014, 12:25:55 pm »
It sounds like there were some serious knee jerk reactions along the development process.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2014, 12:46:18 pm »
Summing it up:  The creation of the Boom franchise likely went like this: 2007 SEGA West wanted to drastically reinvent Sonic - remember, Simon Jeffrey was the SEGA president obsessed with reinventing classic SEGA IPs (Golden Axe Beast Rider, Alien Syndrome). SEGA of Japan and Sonic Team said "no", eventually Simon left but the idea lived on. In 2009 SEGA east and west agreed that SEGA West could develop a side-series with Sonic Heroes style gameplay. Meanwhile, Sonic Team was releasing Colors, Generations, and SLW. SEGA's Nintendo deal leads to the spinoff becoming a Wii U exclusive, which threw a wrench in development. Around this time, SEGA also wanted to make a TV series and either the series was initially developed separate and influenced the Wii U game changing direction, or SEGA felt the TV series had a better idea of reinventing Sonic than BRB and had both work together. This leads to inconsistencies between the show and the Wii U game. The 3DS game starts development much later, and almost exclusively uses the TV show as inspiration, making it much more in line with the show and comics. 

I bet Sonic Team / SEGA Japan was thrilled to shove SEGA West Sonic exclusive on the Wii U and screw up everything related to its development. Doesn't sound like they ever wanted it to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:53:53 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2014, 01:01:23 pm »
I have an Iizuka autographed Sonic Boom poster, it must be worth millions now.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2014, 01:02:56 pm »
I'm just curious, who's idea was it to get Big Red Button to develop it? Did SOJ have anything to do with this game?

Sorry, just getting caught up on this stuff.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »
I'm just curious, who's idea was it to get Big Red Button to develop it? Did SOJ have anything to do with this game?

Sorry, just getting caught up on this stuff.

I'd assume SEGA was looking for Western devs, and Bob Rafei pitched his idea. Remember, Simon Jeffrey was into having third party devs work on Japanese SEGA IPs like Beast Rider, Altered Beast, and Alien Syndrome. I'm guessing they wanted to do the same with Sonic and BRB won the project, working on concepts as early as 2009.

SEGA of Japan mainly kept an eye on the designs, telling BRB when they were too far off the mark and when to stick closer to the Sonic Team look. Seems Sonic Team had a good deal of control, given the changes aren't that big to Sonic, Tails, and Amy. Eggman and Knuckles saw the most changes though.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:08 pm »
I'd assume SEGA was looking for Western devs, and Bob Rafei pitched his idea. Remember, Simon Jeffrey was into having third party devs work on Japanese SEGA IPs like Beast Rider, Altered Beast, and Alien Syndrome. I'm guessing they wanted to do the same with Sonic and BRB won the project, working on concepts as early as 2009.

SEGA of Japan mainly kept an eye on the designs, telling BRB when they were too far off the mark and when to stick closer to the Sonic Team look. Seems Sonic Team had a good deal of control, given the changes aren't that big to Sonic, Tails, and Amy. Eggman and Knuckles saw the most changes though.

Altered Beast was by Sega Japan tough.

In your analysis you forgot to mention that one Sega COO said that he wanted Sonic to be more merchandise and Hello Kitty, and all that.

And looking at the credits, yeah, Sonic Team's involvement was being Character Supervisors...and that was it.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2014, 01:42:17 pm »
Altered Beast was by Sega Japan tough.

In your analysis you forgot to mention that one Sega COO said that he wanted Sonic to be more merchandise and Hello Kitty, and all that.

And looking at the credits, yeah, Sonic Team's involvement was being Character Supervisors...and that was it.

I think that was Jurgen(?) Post who said that.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2014, 02:10:38 pm »
Ah, right, Altered Beast PS2 was by WOW. Never got a US release so I've never played it.