Author Topic: Nintendo *swiqu swiqu* Switch revealed or something like that  (Read 56377 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Nintendo Switch revealed or something like that
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2016, 08:36:43 am »
A slightly concerning thought has just occurred to me mind...seeing as Switch will be the only console and no handheld...if this flops, Nintendo could be in serious trouble
As if that was a bad thing.
Nintendo has been completely incompetent at making consoles since the SNES, which itself was only marginally more capable than the 3 year old Megadrive hardware.

They have managed to stay afloat all these years thanks to their handhelds, which they are now ditching as it seems.

As far as the gaming industry goes, they have been completely irrelevant on its evolution for 20 years, only introducing shitty gimmicks and actually holding it back in the case of handhelds, which lead to a massive loss against fucking mobile phones.

On the gaming front they continue to release the same Mario and Zelda with new paint year after year, meanwhile destroying its beloved IPs, see StarFox, Metroid, FZero, etc.

They are utterly inapt at running a business and rely on nostalgia-bucks to merely exist.

No sympathy for the fuckers.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2016, 11:50:01 am »
Interestingly, it seems Nintendo really have left Nvida to do everything with this console. Nvida clearly used what they've learnt from their Shield, but going further then that, Nvida also created the API. That's a first for Nintendo.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2016, 12:10:39 pm »
Nintendo going the way of Sega utilizing external companies for their hardware, and also having just one type of hardware (ever since Sega went third party, their only type of hardware were mid ranged PCs in arcades)

Offline Tad

« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2016, 03:20:06 pm »
Huh...I didn't know that.

Looking at the Nvida blog about Switch, it seems Nvida have built the following:

New custom Tegra chip
Revamped physics engine
New libraries
New tools
API's - including a new one designed for lightweight gaming called NVN (NVidaNintendo?)
Hardware accelerated video playback
Custom audio effects and rendering
OS integrated into the GPU for flexibility in both mobile and home use.

I give Nintendo credit here. Nvida have some really talented people in their company and this takes the burden of Nintendo having to try to get third party teams behind them. The tech won't be PS4 level, but it's not lagging behind anywhere near as much as their previous consoles did.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2016, 03:29:02 am »
New custom Tegra chip
Revamped physics engine
New libraries
New tools
API's - including a new one designed for lightweight gaming called NVN (NVidaNintendo?)
Hardware accelerated video playback
Custom audio effects and rendering
OS integrated into the GPU for flexibility in both mobile and home use.
That just sounds like they made a Tegra 1.5 and its drivers, hardly anything worth mentioning.
Does it even have a CPU?

"The tech won't be PS4 level"
It's WiiU level with a better architecture. Fitting if they consider Skyrim a selling point.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2016, 04:55:40 am »
Tegra is sort of both the GPU and CPU. Ignoring how Nintendo are planning to use it for a second, and as a chip it's quite impressive really. It's designed for small portable devices, it can stay quite cool and it's capable of cunching some big numbers.

Nintendo have basically looked at this and gone to Nvida to use a more beefed up version. Or as you say, Tegra 1.5. This is only Tegra X1, but this will give you an idea of what it's capable of:
https://youtu.be/nPtLOEh6h80

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2016, 06:24:45 am »
I'm actually quite surprised that a console maker has gone with Nvidia for once after all the negativity towards them as a partner; allthough i'm not sure why that is exactly.

Oh that's pretty impressive Tad. They could always slightly make a game a bit more stylized for the Switch if nescesary.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:14:28 pm by CrazyT »

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2016, 08:18:57 am »
Not selling at a loss and focusing primarily on home console as to not cannibalize the 3DS which is still going strong.

Guess they're having an event in January explaining details about the games and launch titles. I'm guessing plenty of juiced up ports judging from the launch trailer but they should shit the bed with lack of original titles.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #173 on: October 30, 2016, 07:05:34 pm »
^Yeah and it's going to be a conference too, which makes sense for a console launch ofcourse but still surprising.

Nintendos way of messaging throughout the 3ds and wii u lifespan together was really.. amateuristic? Im not sure how to call it but it always seemed so out of touch.

The reveal trailer of the Switch has been a good sign at least so as ive mentioned before, i hope this signals some changes at nintendo.

I also like their mobile strategy a lot; using it to make money and at the same time market their IP's. This makes a lot of sense as mobile phones have become the new television in the every day use context. They should have made this conclusion a lot earlier, but then again I couldnt look at it that way either. Pokemon sun and moon on the 3ds are already showing results, and thats on a 5/6 year old platform.

I guess what im trying to say is that there's signs of changes at Nintendo.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2016, 04:08:51 am »
"The reveal trailer of the Switch has been a good sign"
Because a video with no information other than people playing fake games with mockups of a console is above amateur?
SEG4GES

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2016, 07:03:41 am »
Nah, because a video with no information other than people playing fake games with mockups of a console hit 20 million views in no time whatsoever.

Keep foaming Nintendoom at every post you make, though. It's fun.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2016, 09:23:19 am »
Nah, because a video with no information other than people playing fake games with mockups of a console hit 20 million views in no time whatsoever.
Because that is a good metric to hardware quality/sales. Youtube views of a widely publicized viral video. Maybe by next week it will be more popular than that video of Lady Gaga singing inside a car for comedic effect.

Plus, I don't even need to express any Nintendoom remarks, as a simple look at WiiU sales is pretty self explanatory. You may very well be aware that Nintendo is on its way out, regardless of accepting it or not.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:28:37 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2016, 12:35:54 pm »
It's a bit concerning when they don't understand why it's dropped: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/28/13453226/nintendo-president-switch-market-profit

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2016, 02:58:58 pm »
"The reveal trailer of the Switch has been a good sign"
Because a video with no information other than people playing fake games with mockups of a console is above amateur?
I'm talking about the messaging. I think pretty much everyone knows straight away what the switch is about. Whether they like it or not is another thing. It's night and day compared to WII U. I dont remember anyone even knowing what the wii u was; being all confused or just nodding like oh yeah whatever. But i've seen some people at work mentioning the switch already so I guess its a good start. The thing about fake games and mockups is irrelevant when it comes to that.

Also with out of touch I meant Nintendo always aiming at kids or the family with the 3ds and Wii U. I think its proven not to work anymore, at least the way Nintendo did it lately (cringy af). Nintendo's biggest challenge now is to convince someone like my little cousin for example, who's hadnt owned a nintendo product throughout 3ds and wii u's life to wanna put down his ipad for the Switch. These kids nowadays are addicted to minecraft and roblox. In my experience it doesnt take long before they get bored of smash bros.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2016, 05:18:10 am »
What is the Switch about then?
Most people I've heard talk about it (irl and online) say it's a new portable, which Nintendo has dismissed already. So is it another underpowered console? If so, will it interest anyone besides those already Nintendo fans?

Do you even know any grown adults that would carry around a full sized tablet with controllers and play games outside in a small screen with other adults?
Who is this aimed at? The trailer would make a whole lot more sense if they were all kids. This is aimed at kids. Disguised as a slick adult console. It isn't.

Nintendo has aimed consoles at kids since the NES! It's nothing new.
The NES was sold as a boy toy. The SNES was marketed at boys. The N64 was marketed at families and kids. The GC looked like a toy to begin with. Wii was for families. And finally, the WiiU was marketed at no one.

Nintendo is way past its expire date. It has been free riding on its portables since the N64
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:20:21 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES