Author Topic: The 'take an educated stab at TGS line up' thread.  (Read 9864 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: The 'take an educated stab at TGS line up' thread.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:45 pm »
Quote from: "Suzuki Yu"
i know that he didn't . and that's why i think this is had to be something related to a new engine and gameplay mechanics , rebooting the whole series .
everybody knows that this series need a fresh start ...

I am not sure if I agree with this. I think it is more likely to be a new genre in the series before they totally revamp the engine (which barely makes money as-is). If they are going to make a new HD engine, I think it would be Yakuza 5 before a spinoff.

And I do not agree that the series needs a fresh start. It is fine the way it is, just needs more exposure, which is what it looks like SEGA is attempting.

I also think that potentially this could be an arcade game as well, but considering the franchise is an RPG, and with how good SEGA's Japanese RPGs do on the PSP...

you forgot the 2 years development cycle ? the new game supposed to be shown this year . Sonic 4 release date scheduled for July , the major sonic game will most likely planned for holiday season .
and if i am not wrong i think they will start celebrating sonic's 20th anniversary this year .

What two year cycle? The only recent Sonic game that took two years to make was Unleashed, before that... Sonic Advance 3, I think. There is no pattern to their release schedule, but what is a fact is that the franchise turns 20 late next year. I am entirely certain SEGA will take advantage of the whole year with the slogan "Sonic's 20th" or something, but there is no way they would miss out on releasing the next big game near the original date. They did it with Sonic 06 and Sonic Adventure 2, why would they change now?

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is also episodic, so I do not even think we will get the third one by February next year. They will obviously try to spread out the release dates as much as possible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »
I am not sure if I agree with this. I think it is more likely to be a new genre in the series before they totally revamp the engine (which barely makes money as-is). If they are going to make a new HD engine, I think it would be Yakuza 5 before a spinoff.

And I do not agree that the series needs a fresh start. It is fine the way it is, just needs more exposure, which is what it looks like SEGA is attempting.

I also think that potentially this could be an arcade game as well, but considering the franchise is an RPG, and with how good SEGA's Japanese RPGs do on the PSP...

i see no problems here , they can easily use the new engine in multiple projects not only the next RGG game .
and also why would they wait more ?! they are still using the same engine for 5 years now ! the PS3 games is actually using a modified engine from the ps2 games , nothing major ...

What two year cycle? The only recent Sonic game that took two years to make was Unleashed, before that... Sonic Advance 3, I think. There is no pattern to their release schedule, but what is a fact is that the franchise turns 20 late next year. I am entirely certain SEGA will take advantage of the whole year with the slogan "Sonic's 20th" or something, but there is no way they would miss out on releasing the next big game near the original date. They did it with Sonic 06 and Sonic Adventure 2, why would they change now?

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is also episodic, so I do not even think we will get the third one by February next year. They will obviously try to spread out the release dates as much as possible.

i am pretty sure that i heard it in an interview that the development cycle for any sonic project is two years .
and as for 2011 they can release sonic 4 ep2 with some spin-off .
also the celebrating actually will kickoff this year , so no big deal .

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 11:25:57 pm »
i see no problems here , they can easily use the new engine in multiple projects not only the next RGG game .
and also why would they wait more ?! they are still using the same engine for 5 years now ! the PS3 games is actually using a modified engine from the ps2 games , nothing major ...

Kenzan used a heavily modified version of the engine used for the first two games, but 3 used a new engine that 4 in turn used as well.

I just do not think SEGA is going to spend a significant larger amount on the Yakuza games until they get it to be a hit or at least a decent seller outside of Japan. It took awhile for Yakuza 3 to make any money back, it is not like they can afford to keep bumping up the production quality if it will remain in Japan, that is a really limited market compared to the rest of the world. The PSP is a no-brainer to me in this case. It would sell, be cost effective and the demand for it outside of Japan would not be as big as Yakuza 3 was and Yakuza 4 will be, so less angry fans.

Besides, this is supposedly a spinoff. Why would anyone want to bump up their tech a significant amount for a spinoff and not the main series?

i am pretty sure that i heard it in an interview that the development cycle for any sonic project is two years .
and as for 2011 they can release sonic 4 ep2 with some spin-off .
also the celebrating actually will kickoff this year , so no big deal .

Well the development cycle is not true because the actual release dates prove against this.

I still say a spinoff game is on the way as well, but I suppose a new DS release makes more sense.

The way I think Sonic the Hedgehog 4 will be released is:

Episode I in June
Episode II sometime in Fall 2010
Episode III in early 2011, probably February
Compilation disc with all episodes around Sonic's 20th

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 12:04:05 am »
I think you over estimate how long it takes to do a Sonic 4 episode. I am fairly sure it can all get done this year.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 12:16:12 am »
I am certain it is all done or nearly, I just think they will space out the releases of them is all.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 07:17:59 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I am certain it is all done or nearly, I just think they will space out the releases of them is all.
They don't want to space them out too much, or people like me will stop giving a shit by the time the second one comes out.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:00 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
What two year cycle? The only recent Sonic game that took two years to make was Unleashed, before that... Sonic Advance 3, I think.

Yeah, if you look at between Silver, which started just before Sonic Heroes in 2003, and Sonic Unleashed which started just before Silver which was 2006, seems more likely to me the games get 2 to 3 years development.

Not that it matters, Sonic Team just isn't very good :lol:

[spoiler:1e3ffg8r]Yes I wrote this post to mock them[/spoiler:1e3ffg8r]

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 10:38:55 am »
No, they are immensely talented.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:13:28 am »
The main question here is that Yu Suzuki is still on Sega as CO or not.

If so, I believe Sega will show some new project of him soon.

For the TGS list, I can think about these 3 games:

- Whirlwind Stories(2 characters already showed before)
- Project K
- Nagoshi Western Title

I can't remember anything else... oh, Phantasy Star new title that is not for handheld crap.

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 11:30:12 am »
Kenzan used a heavily modified version of the engine used for the first two games, but 3 used a new engine that 4 in turn used as well.

I just do not think SEGA is going to spend a significant larger amount on the Yakuza games until they get it to be a hit or at least a decent seller outside of Japan. It took awhile for Yakuza 3 to make any money back, it is not like they can afford to keep bumping up the production quality if it will remain in Japan, that is a really limited market compared to the rest of the world. The PSP is a no-brainer to me in this case. It would sell, be cost effective and the demand for it outside of Japan would not be as big as Yakuza 3 was and Yakuza 4 will be, so less angry fans.

Besides, this is supposedly a spinoff. Why would anyone want to bump up their tech a significant amount for a spinoff and not the main series?

no Yakuza 3 wasn't using a new engine at all , Nagoshi himself said that they started the actual development after they have finished from KENZAN . that makes it only one year under development ! the only game that took them three years was the first one and since then they started to pop-up a new RGG every year with some changes and enhancements .. nothing major really

and nobody confirmed if this is a spin-off or not . Kiryu Kazuma Story will not going on and on forever !

Well the development cycle is not true because the actual release dates prove against this.

I still say a spinoff game is on the way as well, but I suppose a new DS release makes more sense.

The way I think Sonic the Hedgehog 4 will be released is:

Episode I in June
Episode II sometime in Fall 2010
Episode III in early 2011, probably February
Compilation disc with all episodes around Sonic's 20th

i mean this is the new strategy for Sonic Team since sonic unleashed . this was from my understanding from the interview .

about the DS game , most likely they will announce something for the new 3DS .

regarding sonic 4 , i don't know but i think between each episode there gonna be a 1 year gap , or at least 9 months .

The main question here is that Yu Suzuki is still on Sega as CO or not.

If so, I believe Sega will show some new project of him soon

what makes you think so ?
i have been known for begin optimistic regarding anything related to Yu Suzuki , but seriously after all these years i lost my hopes  :|
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:42:00 am by Suzuki Yu »

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 11:41:10 am »
The rumor said he would leave Sega this year, but we have seen his name on Sega Allstars Racing as Creative Officer... and we know he was not CO anymore since last year.

I've lost my hopes too, but I want to believe that he still there making something new to us!  :cry:

It's hard to see Sega putting money on big talents like Kamiya, Mikami and tri-Ace when they already have the biggest one inside their company.

This shit just hurts me!

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 11:45:42 am »
Quote from: "STORM!"

It's hard to see Sega putting money on big talents like Kamiya, Mikami and tri-Ace when they already have the biggest one inside their company.

This shit just hurts me!

QFT exactly my feeling  :cry:

but actually in this situation i encourage him to do so ! at least maybe we will get the chance to play new games by him again !

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 12:11:27 pm »
Maybe Suzuki wants to take a break for a while? Keep in mind the guy is over 50 now and game development is pretty stressful, especially when you consider the length Suzuki went to with his personal time when he was younger and working on stuff like Virtua Fighter and Outrun, the amount of research he put in his younger days was probably something no other leading industry figure had done either.