Author Topic: SEGAbits rejoice. Our first Binary Domain review has arrived (from IGN)  (Read 5804 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: SEGAbits rejoice. Our first Binary Domain review has arrived (from IGN)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 09:13:16 am »
The Game is simple awesome and its SEGA at their best and that's talking other's idea's and mixing with SEGA own and giving their own spin on it .
This is the best 3rd Person action game after GRAW and Gears II  and SEGA really needs to make a sequel to this and fix some of the small issues and do what EPIC did with Gears II - More epic and more bad ass with top level GFX polish

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »
More reviews, seems the game is a solid 8 or so out of 10 for most reviewers. Looks like multiplayer was a waste of resources but its a shame they need that for games these days, if it gave another 2 or more hours to the campaign I think we all know what we would prefer.

http://www.gamesradar.com/binary-domain-review/

7 out of 10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-24-binary-domain-review

8 out of 10

http://spong.com/detail/editorial.jsp?eid=10110628&page=2

8 out of 10

Anyway, time to open up the official thread it seems, enough reviews I think!

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:05 am »
There are more ways to affect people's trust in you....

Accidentally hurting them in battle through crossfire and explosions. Sending them into a crapshoot and getting them hurt. Telling them to charge then staying back and letting them thin out the enemies for you at their expense. Telling other team mates to heal people.

Stuff like that. And when their trust gets low enough, they will start disobeying orders and not helping you when you need it. Like when you have a giant ass robot gorilla bearing down on you and the only way your staying alive is by running away. You can only get out of that mess by asking your team mates to shoot at it and draw it's attention. If they, say....disobey you, well, your right fucked.

So I wouldn't say it's completely superficial. It punishes players who are careless and use their squad as a means to an end rather then treating them as people. It helps feed into a story that is about comradery and team work, and helps you actually care about the characters. So I wouldn't say it's completely superficial. Though more probably could have been done with it. I don't believe you can get alternate cutscenes in accordance to your team mate's trust level, right?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 02:25:21 am »
Destructoid gave it a 7.5/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-binary-domain-222782.phtml

Note that Jim Sterling (yeah  that asshole) isn't really a big fan of the genre, so from him this is really good, especially considering gears of war got an 8. The actual followers of the website are aware of this, as can be seen in the comment section. So some of them are actually convinced. The written review itself is very positive

Binary Domain is yet another Japanese game based around mainstream Western design, a cynical idea that usually leads to terrible abortions such as Quantum Theory. Yet this cover-based squad shooter bucks convention and delivers something not only competent, but fun and original.

In a distant future where rising sea levels have destroyed much of the old world and sent the wealthy into sprawling aerial cities, robotics have taken center stage as the most important scientific endeavor. Needed to replace the millions left behind in flooded slums, robots have been used to serve, build, and police the streets, leading to a series of strict worldwide rules about their creation. The most important rule is Clause 21 of the New Geneva Convention -- robots cannot be indistinguishable from humans. So guess what happens!

Binary Domain's plot never gets in the way of the action, and while it certainly throws up some interesting ideas in the same vein as A.I. Artificial Intelligence, it doesn't ever gain a huge amount of steam, feeling rather bolted onto the side of the experience rather than fully integrated. It doesn't help that Binary's story does too good a job of making the humanoid robots sympathetic, so that by the time the bad guy revealed his end game, I was on his side. Still, it's a plot propelled by a genuinely likable squad of sarcastic soldiers, and full of bizarre twists that could give even Hideo Kojima a run for his money.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:46:23 am by CrazyTails »