Author Topic: Region Free Consoles  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
Region Free Consoles
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:33:16 am »
So I went to the Expo last week, and noticed a LOT of Japanese games on the shelves as well as American games from the Gamecube to 32x.

Now...what I don't get is this.

The consoles cost from £70 to 200 for being (like new)...now I'm sorry, but I won't take that risk especially when they are NOT region free.

Now looking online, finding a region free console is pretty hard as well as risky in terms of pricing and reliablility.

So I want to ask you guys if you have a region free console, and if so...where did you go?

I live in the UK, so the plugs and whatnot would help also.

What am I looking for? Either a region free Saturn, Famicom/SNES or a region free PS2. I'll probably considered buying one in 2013 when I can get my games down in my backlog.

Any tips?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Region Free Consoles
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »
For a lot of those old consoles, it'd probably be cheaper to mod them yourself.

Play Asia has the action replay for Saturn: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-k8-49-en-70-1b2.html

The Dreamcast just needs a boot disk, if you're planning on using that one at all.

PS3, DS, GBA, and PSP are all region free from the get-go as a bonus.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »
Well, my SNES was easy. I just had to remove these two pieces of plastic from the cartridge slot that kept me from inserting Japanese games. Easy money.

The Genesis just needed a Game Genie to play Mega Drive titles.

I use the 4-in-1 Action Replay for my Japanese Sega Saturn, since there's more than enough titles that use the 4MB cart and it's compatible with SNK games.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »
Well, my SNES was easy. I just had to remove these two pieces of plastic from the cartridge slot that kept me from inserting Japanese games. Easy money.

I use the 4-in-1 Action Replay for my Japanese Sega Saturn, since there's more than enough titles that use the 4MB cart and it's compatible with SNK games.

Wow...really? I have one of those! I only used it for cheats.

Oh...the American Genesis...will it work with the EU MD?

You mean the catflap thingys for the SNES? I never knew that...well..for the American one I can understand. So can EU SNES' use the Japanese cartridges?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 02:25:14 pm by Nameless 24 »

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:39:50 pm »
Oh, it's not just for cheats, good sir. I see no reason why the EU model shouldn't work, but I don't have a Mega Drive yet. Tax refund can't get here soon enough. *crosses fingers*

You should be able to play SNES games on a Super Famicom, but I think the actual cartridge slot is too small. I'm guessing, but seeing as how the SNES lacks a regional lockout chip, you could try using a Game Genie as a pass-through. Worth a shot.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:45 am »
Oh, it's not just for cheats, good sir. I see no reason why the EU model shouldn't work, but I don't have a Mega Drive yet. Tax refund can't get here soon enough. *crosses fingers*

You should be able to play SNES games on a Super Famicom, but I think the actual cartridge slot is too small. I'm guessing, but seeing as how the SNES lacks a regional lockout chip, you could try using a Game Genie as a pass-through. Worth a shot.

I see, interesting.

Apologies if I'm wary if it doesn't work on the EU GG carts...I tend to worry if I buy a Japanese MD game and it fails to work should I find my Game genie somewhere. :3

I should, but first I need to get a SNES (again). <_<

Was bought one for cheap in 1997 but I've only played Kirby's Ghost Trap, Mario All Stars and Killer Instinct on it....I actually no knowledge on Legend of Zelda and Super Metroid back then...but my neighbour had DKC1 on his SNES once upon a time.

My mum sold it when we weren't using it any more though. <_<

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 04:18:59 am »
Hey, no worries.

I like the SNES. I'm having a tough time working through Link to the Past. Not much interest in the Metroid series. Personally, it's all about Super Castlevania IV. Love the Castlevania series. I cannot wait to snag a copy of Symphony of the Night for JP Saturn.

Still, Star Fox and F-Zero are good titles. If you snag a copy of Valken, I highly recommend it. Hard as Hell, but very cool. It's a side-scrolling shooter where you ride a mech and blast the shit outta' everything in sight.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:57:08 am »
Hey, no worries.

I like the SNES. I'm having a tough time working through Link to the Past. Not much interest in the Metroid series. Personally, it's all about Super Castlevania IV. Love the Castlevania series. I cannot wait to snag a copy of Symphony of the Night for JP Saturn.

Still, Star Fox and F-Zero are good titles. If you snag a copy of Valken, I highly recommend it. Hard as Hell, but very cool. It's a side-scrolling shooter where you ride a mech and blast the shit outta' everything in sight.

I had to use a visual guide to beat it  thoroughly since I couldn't make sense of everything you needed.

SotN is just so amazing...I managed to 200.6% it without a visual guide unlike Link to the Past.

Sounds awesome, but I don't really play shooters...although I did own Hellfire on the Mega Drive (or still do...I can't find it).

I heard that Sparkster on the SNES is just like the Mega Drive original in terms of graphics and HUD, but it goes for £100 here.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:42:17 am »
I had to use a visual guide to beat it  thoroughly since I couldn't make sense of everything you needed.

SotN is just so amazing...I managed to 200.6% it without a visual guide unlike Link to the Past.

Sounds awesome, but I don't really play shooters...although I did own Hellfire on the Mega Drive (or still do...I can't find it).

I heard that Sparkster on the SNES is just like the Mega Drive original in terms of graphics and HUD, but it goes for £100 here.

Well, it looks like I'll have to invest in a strategy guide.

Holy fuck! That must have taken forever. I'm curious; how does it compare to the PS1 version for you?

Never even heard of Sparkster. In American currency, it's almost as expensive as Spider-Man: Web of Fire for the 32X.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 08:07:25 am »
Well, it looks like I'll have to invest in a strategy guide.

Holy fuck! That must have taken forever. I'm curious; how does it compare to the PS1 version for you?

Never even heard of Sparkster. In American currency, it's almost as expensive as Spider-Man: Web of Fire for the 32X.

For LttP? Nah, just use Youtube, there's a guide that gets you to 100% the game in 4 hours if you follow it closely.

Not really, I had the XBLA version btw, it took me a few days to 100% it, but I took my time with it, since I really enjoyed it to it's fullest (the game is probably 4 hours long too if you explore everything!)

The PS1 version has lesser content then the Saturn one, so you'll have 8 hours of gameplay on yours compared to 6 hours for me (Richter's story doesn't need a 100%, just speedrun through the game to get to the end, LOL).

Overall, I thought it was well made, it has a few daft things as you expect in 2D games sometimes, but the glitches are very few and far between...just expect to do the tricky jump with Richter all the time...which is a design flaw I feel.

Sparkster is Rocket Knight Adventures 2 on the SNES, but it may as well be RKA for the SNES as it's like the Sonic CD of that franchise. Sparkster on the MD is good, but it's not at all like the original (they tried to do more with it, including a random slot machine that rewards you when you collect gems).

I recommend RKA anyway...but it gets so fucking unfair at the end...I lost 6 continues on the Stage 6 boss! (It takes about 5 hearts from you on NORMAL mode....as you only have 8 hearts in the game as health. One boss can OHKO you on Stage 5 I think but you have to basically run from it until you get into a robot).

Otherwise it is a good game with good ideas. 2 so far is easy on easy mode, and pretty easy on Normal Mode....so it's toned down the difficulty for the sequel...but the SNES version retains 1's difficulty curve in terms of how you need to memorise platforms and crap.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:09:42 am by Nameless 24 »

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:11 pm »

This is the same cart I used when my Saturn was still with me. One burglary later and my game library took a huge kick in the daddy parts...

Still rebuilding but my hopes of getting my hands on a nice Saturn collection has been tough. Other means have been via the virtual console feature on the Wii and PSN.

A modern region free system is the PS Vita. I have a Japanese import model and it works fine here in the USA
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 02:10:33 am »
This is the same cart I used when my Saturn was still with me. One burglary later and my game library took a huge kick in the daddy parts...

Still rebuilding but my hopes of getting my hands on a nice Saturn collection has been tough. Other means have been via the virtual console feature on the Wii and PSN.

A modern region free system is the PS Vita. I have a Japanese import model and it works fine here in the USA

That fucking sucks! What all did you have for the Saturn?

Building a Saturn collection's hard work, yes. Always backing up files for that fateful day when the internal memory dies. Trying to find complete copies with cases that are still intact, and for a decent price. Having to decide whether or not a rare title's worth $250.

Dreamcast games are almost as bad, but not quite. Master System is the 3rd most difficult....all because I'm really anal when it comes to the cartridge labels.

Offline ungibbed

• hater of haters...
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 06:27:58 am »
That fucking sucks! What all did you have for the Saturn?

Building a Saturn collection's hard work, yes. Always backing up files for that fateful day when the internal memory dies. Trying to find complete copies with cases that are still intact, and for a decent price. Having to decide whether or not a rare title's worth $250.

Dreamcast games are almost as bad, but not quite. Master System is the 3rd most difficult....all because I'm really anal when it comes to the cartridge labels.

I had the JP version of SOTN complete with spine card as well as many of the late US titles before the Saturn was all. UT forgotten here in the USA.

Notables were...

Street Fighter Collection Vol. One (The second volume was only on the PlayStation)
Earthworm Jim 2
Quake (three copies of it...)

Everyday games were the norm. I had filled a book case with those plastic tall cases.

Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Clockwork Knight and it's sequel
Bug
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon: Orta
Astal (amazing fucking platformer with killer graphics and music)
Iron Srorm
Virtua Racing (With many sealed extras to give to friends, all are gone...)
Every Working Designs title under the sun since I handled their account.
Shinobi
Virtua Fighter II
Grandia
Tomb Raider
Sonic Jam (That's how to do a classic collection in style!)

Many other common games. At my best guess for Saturn games alone, I had well over sixty and multiple consoles. Two American versions (the launch model with oval buttons and the access light and the newer 2.0.x model with the Sega logo printed near the controller ports and round buttons. I also had the Hitachi model (Hi-Saturn) that came with the MPEG board so the video in the Lunar re-release looked just as good or better than the US re-release for the PlayStation. Being all in Japanese though added a lot of difficulty and firing up my Sega CDX to reference the same part of the game but was still stuck often as the Saturn import was a "Directors cut" like the amazing PlayStation version and Eternal Blue afterwards.

I miss Working Designs badly. That was a game company for the players instead of the paycheck. I had bought every retail game from them including the shooters from the Spaz! brand they came up with for the great shmups over the years.

Not only did I lose my Saturn library and consoles, but my CDX, original Play Station, N64, and 3DO systems and games.

I was devastated... Despite my homeowners insurance covering the loss, the rare games I had once would never be found again in such good condition. The only thing they didn't take was my old computer and software /games I had stashed in my office. I kept the door locked as a habit since I also had a safe in there but they didn't get in it and it was bolted to the foundation of my house.

My gaming rig was gone. I felt like I died that day. They even took my damn 27" TV...

That evening sitting by my loaded rifle I had only books and some of my music to keep me company till I got my window replaced and cleaned up the mess left behind.

Once I got my payment from my insurance claim, I started over with the Dreamcast and eventually the PS2.

After the DC sputtered out, I picked up the original Microsoft Xbox. Sega gave that system some love along with the PS2 and the Gamecube (no haters allowed) Super Monkey Ball was awesome!

Between that generation of consoles, the Xbox really felt to me like a spiritual successor of the Dreamcast. Sequels and more Panzer Dragoon goodness came to the Xbox and I bought a lot of other games before buying Halo. Toejam & Earl wasn't a great hit on the 'box but it showed bright colors in true Sega fashion, if there was only one game I could pick from that console generation that truly felt "SEGA!!!"

F-Zero GX on the Gamecube really kicked my ass and I loved the challenge. I wish I still had it along with the Memory card and my old Wavebird wireless controller. Playing that game on the Wii right now still would look as good as many modern games of today. Full on 16:9 @ 60FPS from that unloved redheaded stepchild of a console from Nintendo really rocked in the right hands and the Wii being a improvement upon the Gamecube design, I longed for a sequel from the combined efforts of the two largest rivalries of years past.

Perhaps that's why I will never part with my gloss black Wii. Some of the best Genesis games along with hundreds of others all in one tiny box without the hassle of digging out the old consoles.

The only ones I have from years past is my Super Nintendo and the launch model Genesis which were in storage years ago. They all still work but space is tight in my place these days. With only my PS3, Vita, and Wii. I have a good library once again but nothing like years ago when half my living room was bookcases full of games.

I learned my lesson after that. Signed up with ADT and I've never had my media rig visible from the street at night if I had my window open. Robbing my place now would take a lot of work having to wait for an elevator to get to my floor.
I despise ignorant fanboys. Enjoy the great games on all systems or platforms. There is no reason for blind hate...