Author Topic: Shenmue 1&2 HD - Time for us press home our advantage.  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Shenmue 1&2 HD - Time for us press home our advantage.
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:19:55 pm »
If anybody is interested I think we should gather our strengths, and using the successful kickstarter as proof of demand ask SEGA to publish a HD remastered version of Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2. Preferably before the launch of Shenmue 3. I'd like to use Segabits and co as a base launch a campaign; letters, facebook group, poll, twitter and so on.

So, from the Shenmue 3 kick starter we know this:
-SEGA gave Yu Suzuki the license to use Shenmue, SEGA however still owns the IP and Shenmue 1 and 2.
-Yu Suzuki gave a rough estimate of December 2017 as the release date for Shenmue 3 but I suspect it'll be pushed back.
-The Shenmue 3 kick starter is one of the fastest to reach 1million ever and the fastest game to ever be fully funded.
-SEGA are probably paying attention.

This would involve:
-We will try to rally all Shenmue fans and fansites to the course.
-We will send a letter to SEGA Japan, America and Europe with outline of our request.
-We will probably do an online poll (I know, I know... don't start)
-A twitter campaign
-Perhaps a dedicated website/facebook page.
-Anything else we can think of.

I would like to launch it right after the Shenmue 3 kickstarter ends so I can use all relevant information and stats from that kickstarter as leverage.

I don't want to do this all on my own, so I'll really only go ahead with it if people here are interested, let me know in the comments below?
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Shenmue 1&2 HD - Time for us press home our advantage.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:24:58 pm »
I have a feeling like this is already in their mind and they are waiting to leverage the Kickstarter hype, OR they simply can't do it due to licensing issues with middleware or some other boring stuff.

I do support this, may as well ask I guess.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 12:28:01 pm »
This would involve:
-We will send a letter to SEGA Japan, America and Europe with outline of our request.

This part won't work. If there's anything to learn from the Mother fanbase, it's petitions, raids, and letter-writing campaigns don't work.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:17 pm »
This part won't work. If there's anything to learn from the Mother fanbase, it's petitions, raids, and letter-writing campaigns don't work.

Maybe not, maybe not... But Mother didn't have the fastest ever kickstarter campaign and millions of dollars proof of demand behind it. Plus it really costs very little to try.
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 01:49:22 pm »
Directly from the kickstarter page:

"Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?
The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that."

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 02:56:09 pm »
Letters are going to annoy SEGA more than anything else.

However showing numbers and stats is more than enough to get them moving in motions. I don't think any of that is needed after Valkyria Chronicles PC port shattered expectations and became one of their best selling port and Shenmue is probably getting enough hype for SEGA to justify a port.

The real issue is if the licensing issues is as bad as the rumours said.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »
A small win; the Kickstarter hit the stretch goal to include a movie recap of both Shenmue 1 & 2.
It's not the same, but at least new players will be able to catch up on the story.

I really do hope that they can sort out the licensing issues, whatever they are. This is a game that really deserves a re-release with the sequel now on it's way. The only legal way to play the game is on a Dreamcast or the sequel on a Dreamcast or Xbox. Both of which have been out of production and the games out of print for many years.

Aki- can you fill us in on what the rumours were? Was it middleware rights or usage that they weren't able to secure?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 03:09:36 pm »
Aki- can you fill us in on what the rumours were? Was it middleware rights or usage that they weren't able to secure?

The licenses was for the very engines Shenmue used, the big problem was the companies SEGA licensed the engines from were all defunct and no one really knows who holds the rights to the middleware.

Then the NiGHTS port flopped and Sonic Adventure 2 didn't meet expectations so SEGA opted out of the legal hassle needed for the port.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 03:34:28 pm »
I thought it was NiGHTS and Jet Radio Radio ports that didn't meet expectations.  Still I hope this means renewed interested for the HD ports and more importantly, Yu Suzuki comes back to mainstream attention (and develops more games afterwards).

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 04:18:32 pm »
I thought Jet Set did fine...Nights flopped though.

Regardless, I imagine this is on Sega's mind right now.

What became of the rumored two Sega-Sony games? Hopefully the miku Morpheus wasn't one of them...

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 03:40:55 am »
I hope this does happen soon...maybe they'll announce it after the KS to see where the money stops rolling in.

It's difficult enough to get now, but it's only going to get tougher as time goes on. A PC release would be great and expose many more people to these games.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:58:56 pm »
Sharky...

I'm in!

Offline Mentality

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 08:32:16 am »
I want to see HD remakes of Shenmue 1 and 2 so bad. It really needs to happen. Whatever it takes Sega, stop dragging your feet and do it already.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 06:18:01 pm »
Shenume Dojo is planning a "Tweetathon" on Aug 3rd using #SaveShenmueHD. Trend it.