Author Topic: Random Gaming Discussion  (Read 10583 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Post your current thoughts thread
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 05:16:33 pm »
You think the 360 is made up mostly of RPGs?

I don't think this generation is much 'FPS' anymore, just that FPS games are rising to popularity due to its online modes. This year is getting a TON of racing games, probably more so than FPS games.

Blur, GT5, Need for Speed, Split/Second, Mod Nation Racers, SEGA All-Stars Racing and a few others I missed. I think people aren't seeing the big picture and just take 2 or 3 games out of a period of 3 years and say "This is what is bad for gaming."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »
It's true. There is so much variety now on every platform, I don't see how anyone who seriously looks for a game they like can be 'tired of' a genre or feel that theres nothing for them.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 05:37:31 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
It's true. There is so much variety now on every platform, I don't see how anyone who seriously looks for a game they like can be 'tired of' a genre or feel that theres nothing for them.
What about my fast paced arcade first person shooters?
On the PS3 I have Unreal Tournament 3, but I already played it.. so.. I don't know if there's another one as awesome, mindless and fast-paced.
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:17 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
On the PS3 I have Unreal Tournament 3, but I already played it.. so.. I don't know if there's another one as awesome, mindless and fast-paced.
Aren't they porting Quake Live to Xbox LiVE? I know, its not helping you, maybe it will get a PSN release.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 06:15:50 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"

Thats a very specific genre though... hmmm. George pointed out Quake 3 might be getting a release, apart from that you might be onto something.

Offline George

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 06:29:14 pm »
There was always a lack of that type of game. Really, outside two series of games, its pretty much 'dead'.

also, you can play Quake here free: www.quakelive.com

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 06:44:56 pm »
Bulletstorm sounds right up your alley.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 07:08:02 pm »
Quake Live is a poor man's version of Quake III Arena, which still plays fine online..
But you see how in such a crowded genre there's a spot that isn't greatly covered?

What about fun FPS like Duke Nukem, Serious Sam, Soldier of Fortune? Where are they this gen? Duke is a joke, Serious Sam is receiving lukewarm ports of older versions (and I still don't get the great great SS2 anywhere but the original Xbox), the SoF on the PS3 was panned by the critics and not well received overall..not as fun as the original.

The problem isn't that there are many FPS. The problem is that they mostly cater to a single market (war-based tactical team co-op) bar the small dose of the other market (ambient-based story driven shooters, like Bioshock and F.E.A.R).

Have to check out Bulletstorm.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 07:30:49 pm »
What about The Darkness for a fun FPS? I found it fun and it didn't have stuff like limited weapons or aiming down the sights etc. I really liked that game anyway, not everyone did though.

Ditto Prey, which wasn't great, but was still pretty fun with it's basic gameplay and some nifty stuff like Spirit Walking.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 10:30:47 pm »
I played The Darkness once. I hated it, but can't quite remember why..

Prey was awesome. Too bad it's not on the PS3.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 10:44:48 pm »
You liked Prey better than The Darkness? Wow. You and I are very different people.

Did you at least get to the part where you get the power in The Darkness? Early on it's just guns, but it picks up a lot when you can rip people's faces off and eat their hearts from the other side of the room.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 11:11:50 pm »
The game wasn't mine. I remember having these black tentacle demon things in me that could attack people, if that's what you're talking about lol
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 11:51:00 pm »
There was a bunch of stuff you could do. You could skewer/throw people around at close range with tentacles, call in demons to fight alongside you (They would like, hacksaw people's heads off and stuff), send out a tentacle to explore small areas and stealth kill people, create black holes, use Darkness Guns. Sounds like you missed out on quite a lot of it. I would reccommend trying it again sometime if you get a chance to play it, you might enjoy it!

Offline George

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 01:19:54 am »
Solider of Fortune games are not that great.

But, Bulletstorm, like said before, might be up your alley. Its by the studio that did Painkiller, if you have not played that. Check it.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 05:45:36 am »
I am really surprised MadeMang did not like Prey and liked The Darkness, the only console FPS with worse controls than The Darkness is Perfect Dark Zero, and that says a lot.

Did you ever play Black on the PlayStation 2 or Xbox? It was made by Criterion (Burnout people) and has gameplay based around explosions and ricocheting bullets, single player only though. There is a sequel in the works called Bodycount coming out pretty soon too.

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but I would keep an eye on Brink if I were you. The controls, concepts and art especially seem outstanding, but it might be a bit too ambitious.

Also, for cheap I would highly highly recommend TimeSplitters 2 and TimeSplitters Future Perfect on last gen consoles. I am certain you would like these games a lot.