Author Topic: Consoles. Consoles everywhere. (what to do with games)  (Read 3879 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Consoles. Consoles everywhere. (what to do with games)
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:36 pm »
I've been thinking about the number of consoles and games I have around here.
I have PS3, Dreamcast and Saturn hooked up.
Then I have a PS1, N64, two Megadrives and some broken Xboxes laying around.

That amounts to 9 consoles, 16 controllers, hundred games scattered around..
I know some of you might have even more.

Thing is, eventually we have to get rid of all this right? Or at least many of it. So do you guys have any planning on what to do with your games?

I sold every single Xbox game I had (which I regret now, cause I kinda wanted to keep Shenmue 2, JSRF and Outrun06 just for the sake of it) since I'm not planning to get any more Xbox. But I would like some 128bit company for my DC.

So I'm thinking of getting a Wii.
I can rebuy most of my MegaDrive and N64 games. And it plays GC disks.
I can play PS1 games on the PS3 (most of them).

So I'd get rid of all these games I have around here, and use that money to rebuy them and get them all on the same place.

My roster would be: PS3, DC, Saturn, Wii (and a Megadrive just for the sake of nostalgia). I would still have about 12 controllers or so..
But I could sell many games (except for those "personal rarities").

This way when I move out I won't have to carry around hundreds of disks and cartridges and stuff.

Anyone else does this kind of consolidation? Are there any cons to this? Is there anyway I can consolidate even further?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
Re: Consoles. Consoles everywhere. (what to do with games)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »
I do that.  I don't have a Genesis/Sega CD/32X and Master System anymore.  

Also the Wii is greatest for all the Gamecube stuff, just hang on to all the peripherals.  I sold all my memory cards, wave-bird, controller.  You need all that stuff for Gamecube games.  Internal storage doesn't work for them.  Also I was hoping PSO would work, but there is no interface to bridge the modem driver from the Gamecube to the Wii's wireless network that I can find.  So no online games.  

XBOX 360 can play most XBOX games, but not Gunvalkyrie :(  .  I wanted to try that game, and I bought a cheap copy and never got to try it.  

My Console setup:  Apple Mac Mini Aluminum (I know, not really a console), Dreamcast, Saturn, Super Famicom, Wii, PS3, XBOX 360,

Handhelds - PSP Go (Good for playing those PS1 Games), DS.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »
Right now I've got pretty much all my consoles hooked into my tv using a few system switches.
Dreamcast, NES, N64, PSOne (pretty redundant), PS2, and PS3.
The Gamecube's packed away somewhere since the Wii basically makes it obsolete. I might as well do the same thing with the PSOne, but it's got a nice look to it, and doesn't really take up much space at all.
For portable systems, I've got the DS, DS Lite, GBA, GBA SP, Gameboy, and PSP Go. The only real reason I have the second GBA is for transferring levels to Mario Bros. 3 with the e-card reader.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:45:25 am »
I never sell anything. Shit, I have about 17 controllers for Xbox 360 alone when you factor in my custom arcade sticks and whatnot.

Basically I can't see any benefit in selling the stuff, the most I would get is what, a few thousand dollars (even that is a huge stretch considering the rate of depreciation in games). Fuck that.

I'm keeping all my stuff and eventually when I get my own place I'll set up my living room to accommodate for my huge collection of awesome gaming stuff.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 04:43:23 pm »
Unless it's a current gen system or a brand new game, I don't see the reason to sell my video game stuff. Even rare stuff, like my mint copy of Burning Rangers or some Dreamcast rarities, I could technically make a profit off of, but then if I'd ever want to play them again I'd have to pony up the same amount of cash to get them back.

Yeah, I'm a hoarder like MadeMan. The games that I wouldn't mind parting with are so shitty and cheap, that should I sell them I'd get a few bucks at most. I'm looking at you Platinum Hits Sonic '06, SEGA CD Double Switch and 360 copy of Blue Dragon that I earned with Kartel Karma points! Eh, not worth the hassle, might as well keep 'em.

I have a fat PS2 and two Dreamcasts in my closet, an NES, Genesis, 32X, SEGA CD, Dreamcast and XBOX 180 in the back room. 360, PS2 slim, Dreamcast and Saturn in the living room. About three drawers of controllers and a tall shelf of all my games that would probably fall and kill me someday. PlayFire.com says I have around 400 games on that shelf. Scary stuff.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:22:12 pm »
"but then if I'd ever want to play them again I'd have to pony up the same amount of cash to get them back."
Thing is selling the games that you can have on a consolidated console.

What's the point of continuing my N64 collection if I can have the worthwhile games on the Wii? Get it?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »
Ah! Well if all the N64 games that you loved are also on the Wii, then go for it. :)

My thing is, that all the rare and great games I own are on the Dreamcast and Saturn. So far the only titles to get a rerelease on current gen consoles are Rez, VIrtual On and Sonic Adventure. Not even coming close to being an option.

I'm not big into Nintendo, so I'm not sure how they handle their rereleases.

Selling your XBOX made me cry a little. No more JSRF? :(

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:13:38 am »
Here is what I plan to do:

Around 2001 - 2006 I was an irrational fan buying anything and everything with a SEGA logo on it. I stacked up an insane collection of 32x, CD, MD, Saturn, and Dreamcast collection. While I still plan on being irrational for the Dreamcast I plan on selling anything SEGA related that has no physical (life) invested in to it.

For example all the SEGA CD or 32x games I own that I will never played them. I will however keep the Sonic and Shinobi games for the Mega Drive I spent a lot of my life playing those games and selling them would be selling a part of my life.

Given that you get them in the right compilation for example Sonic Jam on Sega Saturn I could and should consider selling the original Genesis games.

I haven't gotten around to discarding but since I plan on moving out now I will have to.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:56 am »
Nothings better than playing the original game in my opinion. Popping the cartridge case open, inserting the game into the system, the feel of the classic Genny controller, booting up the console and seeing that little red light come on.

It's [s:3vv4wmue]almost[/s:3vv4wmue] sexual.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 09:31:28 am »
hahaha

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:42:54 pm »
I agree with Barry, excluding the weird sexual fetish stuff. But really, I'm a video game fan/enthusiast, why wouldn't I want to own the original console and games? It's like a car nut saying 'Why should I keep my Ferarri Testarossa when this new Skyline GTR is faster and more comfortable? I may as well sell it to make space in my garage!'.
I know I'm drawing a long bow with that analogy, but really, I would get like $10 for my old Sega Saturn probably, I'd rather keep it to play the odd game and just to have it and the games in my collection. Even the Mega Drive which is easier to emulate than anything else I can think of, I'd rather keep it and the games for collection purposes and because I would get such a pittance for it, frankly it's not even worth my time selling it.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Selling your XBOX made me cry a little. No more JSRF? :(

I still have the Xbox, it just doesn't work. My regret was selling some of the games :(

I made some tables in Numbers to compare which games I own are in other consoles, and what games I own that I already have doubled.
I also took the opportunity of choosing which games I should trade off (games I truly don't care) for the Wii.

Buying a Wii I can put aside my MegaDrive and N64 games.

There are only 5 games I own and enjoy that I cannot get elsewhere:
Italia '90, NHL 96, FIFA 95, Winter Challenge and Super Monaco GP

Other 10 I'll have to rebuy if I want them. (Including Super HangOn [less I play it on Shenmue], ToeJam n Earl, Virtua Racing and Revenge of Shinobi).

I'll probably keep most of my MegaDrive games though, the console too. Just sitting comfy in a pretty box.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »
Yeah, I can understand that too much can get out of hand, but it depends on the person's personal values of the game they are playing. I got rid of a ton of my game stuff and most of it does not bug me (I have no real attachment to most Nintendo games, so the Virtual Console is nice instead of having so many games with no cases because they were all made of cardboard), but some of the ones I sold I regret.

Plus, the authenticity of it all sometimes is enough for many. Putting your old console and shitty television on the floor while beating a game with a friend in one go that takes all night while eating junk food and not worrying about getting gross crap all over your controller because you can get a dozen of them for $5... Man... Nothing beats that feeling. I would be scared shitless to try something like that with a newer console because of the $50 controllers and worrying about dust getting inside it, some would even be impossible because in the case of motion controlled games.