Author Topic: This might be a hard one!!  (Read 4708 times)

Offline JohnOfRage

• Total Meseta: 2
  • "Bare Knuckle"
This might be a hard one!!
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:17:53 am »
Out of all the Sonic games what is your most favorite!

Mine would have to be Sonic:Jam because I love how you can look at all the video's from Japan. I also like how you can look at the art work of Sonic and Friends(Love that kinda art work.), and love how you can hear the soundtrack of Sonic's 1,2 and 3! I just love the game  ;D

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: This might be a hard one!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:45:28 am »
Sonic Jam here as well.

I love all the different play modes, and Sonic World is like a bonus features disc before those things even existed. It's just such an awesome package. Shame recent compilations make fans think that Jam is obsolete, because it's not. It has proper lock-on, optional spin dash in Sonic 1 and an easy mode that lets you blow through truncated versions of the games. Sonic Jam is definitely a desert island disc.

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:08:42 pm »
A close one between Sonic Jam and Sonic Generations, I am a sucker for fan service. 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:42:23 pm »
Oh totally. Jam and Generations are all I'd need. If I never played another Sonic game again, other than those, I'd be happy.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 02:46:17 pm »
Sonic 2 for me. It was the first one I played, and I still love picking it up now and then.

Offline SEGA RedWolf

• Total Meseta: 2
  • SEGA Born
    • Wolfpackcomms Stream
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 10:46:24 am »
I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this but my favorite Sonic game is Sonic CD. It has an odd level design that encourages exploring rather than speed running, the soundtrack is the best in the series (imo), and besides the very easy bosses I appreciate the time travel element to keep things fresh.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:27:01 am »
@SEGA RedWolf: I don't think anybody'd give you any flack for that one. Sonic CD's usually seen up there as one of the best.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »
Wow... I was going for Sonic the Hedgehog 3. But you guys make a good point on Sonic Jam.

The compilation was great for it's time. The pretty curious aspect of it, is that the games were not emulated, but actually coded on SEGA Saturn hardware. It had some random slowdowns, because of it. But on the other hand, you can actually tweak a lot of stuff. Add spindash in Sonic 1, enable an Easy Mode on several of those games. The 3D Sonic World was great. It was basically a collection of media, the movie section was the best. I remember the Sonic OVAs as the major highlight.
There was also a pretty weird cartoon where Eggman impersonates Sonic. The movie just ends with the townfolks shouting at Sonic and Eggman in the distance just falling off.

This one:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LecH7KTDGAo[/youtube]

Out of all the movies this struck me as the oddest. What was this supossed to be? Some sort of pilot episode? This was most likely made by TMS, who had also worked on Tiny Toons at the time. What's the dirt on this?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:04:36 pm »
Out of all the movies this struck me as the oddest. What was this supossed to be? Some sort of pilot episode? This was most likely made by TMS, who had also worked on Tiny Toons at the time. What's the dirt on this?

I know the answer to this one!

I believe it was a pitch video for a potential Sonic cartoon. The work was done by TMS Entertainment, who also did some episodes of Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Batman and a ton of other Japanese anime and foreign works.

I love their stuff, even though I wasn't aware of them at the time I was watching their work. But you can tell. There were always those select episodes of Batman and Sonic and Chip n Dale that had awesome animation.

Anyway, the Sonic cartoon ended up being Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and a majority of the work was done by DiC. I think DiC got the job because they were less expensive than TMS. DiC also made a pitch video, which I assume was made at the same time as Man of the Year. I'm guessing a call was put out for studios to show what they could do with a Sonic cartoon and DiC and TMS answered the call.

DiC's pitch:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZ54vXrcVU[/youtube]

However, TMS did animate a few episodes of AoStH, namely the best episodes of the series: Quest for the Chaos Emeralds 4-parter and the episode Super Robotnik. Not sure why TMS was given the task of doing these episodes when DiC was handling the show. My guess is DiC was overloaded and farmed the work out to another company that had experience animating Sonic. Or the episodes were too complicated for DiC.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ke5QF1ngNU[/youtube]

I always wondered what AoStH would have been like had TMS animated the whole series and kept the Man of the Year aesthetics. Imagine AoStH with Man of the Year quality animation, humans interacting with Sonic years before Sonic Adventure and Eggman with his Japanese design. I'll bet the appearance of humans in SA1 wouldn't have been such a shock if that happened, plus the Saturday Morning show with Sally and the freedom fighters wouldn't be as good by comparison (though I personally prefer AoStH to SatAM still).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:07:06 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14:39 am »
Man, I wish we could've had a series like that pilot..silent humor was already better then anything in AoStH, lol.

TMS probably handled those episodes because it was a multiparter or something. Maybe DiC wanted to release it direct to video as a movie?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 12:47:01 am »
Sonic 2 is my favorite, followed by Sonic Adventure.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 02:10:16 am »
It's hard for me to say because I haven't played every single Sonic title. Right now, I'm enjoying Knuckles Chaotix. I know it isn't a true Sonic title, but I feel it counts. That, and Sonic CD is pretty badass. I'd love to get ahold of Sonic Jam.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline ribbitking17

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:21 pm »
That Man of The Year video was great. I wish that was a show right now.

Sonic 2 I think is my favorite over all. Out of just the 3D  it would be sonic adventure 2