Author Topic: Need your questions for Official Dreamcast Magazine crew!  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Need your questions for Official Dreamcast Magazine crew!
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:33:23 am »
I'm excited to announce the guests we have planned for the 50th SEGAbits Swingin' Report Show podcast - celebrating the Dreamcast's 14th anniversary in the United States!

We managed to book three awesome guests discussing the Dreamcast's launch, and their time spent covering the console when it was in its prime:

Francesca Reyes - Former writer for the Official Dreamcast Magazine and current editor-in-chief of the Official Xbox Magazine

Simon Cox - Former editor-in-chief of the Official Dreamcast Magazine and a video game media veteran working on EDGE, GMR, Xbox Nation, 1UP.com, GameQ, and NVision

Ricardo Torres - Former editor-in-chief of Gamespot

The show records Thursday and will be posted to YouTube and iTunes before 9/9.

We'd love to hear from the community, so any questions for the above people would be greatly appreciated. Also, let me know the name you want attributed to the question. Thanks!

Offline David The Lurker

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Need your questions for Official Dreamcast Magazine crew!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:31 am »
Oh man oh man. I used to be absolutely obsessed with this magazine back in the day!

Though I'm sure you'll ask about their relationship with SEGA and how they acquired their news stories, there is one thing I'm curious about, simply because the woman is going to be in the call. Not that I expect her to remember any details, or even writing the article. But here goes:

"Francesca, in the seventh issue of the Official Dreamcast Magazine, you wrote a one-page preview about the upcoming release for the game Sonic Adventure 2. In it, you mention something specific - a point in the game where Sonic would either have to control a submarine, or escape it, implying some rudimentary form of branching decision making in the game. Were previews like these written based on information SEGA provided, or were they also rumors gathered from insiders that didn't always have a stellar track record?"

The question could be cleaned up a bit, I'm sure. I'm just trying to write one up quick, but I know it would be super annoying to ask extreme specifics about one thing she wrote in an article that she most likely has no recollection of putting together....hmm. So maybe it could be more along the lines of:

"When Sonic Adventure 2 was announced, did SEGA let you in on the ground floor to write up your previews for the game, or were they secretive, forcing you to look towards other sources that gave information that you knew could turn out to be false?"

A bit more generic, you could throw in how it became one of the swan songs for the system (especially in the United States)...

...but yeah. Something to consider talking about. Here is the article in question, as well.

Either way, looking forward to what anecdotes they may have to say about the whole thing. Especially when they found out the Dreamcast was being discontinued and the subsequent cancelling of the magazine. Bitter journalists are always fun, haha.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:14:37 pm »
I wish I could, but I never really owned a Dreamcast, and my question would be about the lack of marketing in the UK after it's initial launch.

I guess I could ask this though:

"When you were working with SEGA on the Dreamcast regarding marketing, PR and retail sales. Did SEGA acknowledge that Sony would likely have a more powerful machine than the PS2 and assumed that the general public would buy their software renouned for Arcade quality games? Did they ask you guys to sell the console as the de facto console for such experiences that Sony would never have?"

Personally, the idea of that would be very exciting, but general gamers don't think in the same way.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 01:30:54 pm »
OXM!

This one is for Francesca Reyes

I would like them to answer this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headhunter_Redemption#Controversy

This open letter was posted on OXM forums and was promptly deleted cause I was never able to find it. Was any internal action taken towards the reviewer of HHR?

Next one for Simon:
Shenmue 2 was obviously cancelled because Microsoft asked to publish the game exclusively for X-box, but why were Headhunter and Rez cancelled?

All 3 games were released in November 2001. Sega of America released their last game in January 2002.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:39:58 pm by cube_b3 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:12:10 pm »
I think that OXM thing is from the UK magazine, also I don't want to get into controversies surrounding them or colleagues. :/

I can ask if Simon knows anything regarding that, but its unlikely given ODCM writers were not SEGA staff and I'm pretty sure Simon left the mag in July 2000, well before either game were even considered a US release.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:26 pm »
I would love to know about the feeling these people had playing the awesome Dreamcast launch titles before everyone else.
What is their favourite Dreamcast game? Do they still play on the Dreamcast, or has the dream faded away?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 09:05:03 pm »
We're talking launch NOW!!! :D

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:14:47 pm »
You could ask their opinion on indie games keeping the Dream-Alive.

Though I can't imagine either of them giving an insightful answer, as these professionals would be so busy playing main stream games and critiquing them. I mean all of us still boot Shenmue from time to time, but these guys they have to beat a new game every weak I don't think they have the time to play games the way we do.

I supposed that is another question for them:
What is their favorite game and when was the last time they booted it?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 09:27:24 am »
Sorry, show was going when these were posted and I didn't notice them. In any case, as you'll hear in the show, they are all HUGE indie fans. So throw any thoughts of them being bound to main stream out the window. :) It's a great show! Can't wait to share it!

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:08 pm »
I'm just saying if I was a professional reviewer who had to review 10 games a month. It would be very difficult to play games recreation-ally it would be associated with work and the pleasure of beating Headhunter for the 4 time wouldn't be there... or would it?

I don't know cause I haven't been a professional reviewer for a magazine.

Offline stang2712

• Total Meseta: 1
    • my deviantart
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 04:00:54 pm »
ask them how they felt about covering shenmue in almost ever issue

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 06:51:07 am »
I actually did. :)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 11:01:00 am »
Good one Barry. I hope that you guys have a sucessful broadcast/podcast even though i never get mentioned in it, as well as getting more interviews with people who have worked with or alongside Sega on future swingin' reports. You guys have really come far,well done!
I remember Reyes was featured on that GOLDEN AXE BEAST RIDER documentary, ages back. Wonder what she thinks of Sega nowadays.