Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced + Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. PS4.  (Read 45334 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Valkyria Chronicles 4 announced + Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. PS4.
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2015, 08:55:40 am »

Pretty sad to see Media Vision tech seems better than anything SEGA Japan can offer . Is this the same SEGA Japan that made the likes of Orta, Shenmue II, Rez , Yakuza II, JSR  In-House . Love to know what the hell has happened to SEGA Japan and their R&D and tech pipe lines even Atlus are doing better In-House stuff .

Sort it out SOJ

Not sure how you can make that comparison since SOJ never had the chance to flex their muscles with a next-gen only title.    I'm sure Yakuza 6 will be technically more impressive than Azure Revolution.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:34 am »
Well on the other hand the graphical fidelity would also not be possible without Sega's resources and direction. Yakuza uses tons of external companies, so will this. All a matter of perspective imo.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2015, 12:16:51 pm »
That's just the nature of the games industry, and business in general in this day and age. Every developer hires on contractors for various tasks and then lets them go at the end of the production cycle. Honestly it's kind of a crappy practice as it merely cheats would-be full-time employees out of health care and other benefits, but that's capitalism for you. The race to the bottom.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2015, 12:40:38 pm »
That's just the nature of the games industry, and business in general in this day and age. Every developer hires on contractors for various tasks and then lets them go at the end of the production cycle. Honestly it's kind of a crappy practice as it merely cheats would-be full-time employees out of health care and other benefits, but that's capitalism for you. The race to the bottom.
Well not really..
I don't know how it works in Japan, but usually outsourcing companies have employees signed in full-time-contracts and lend them to companies interested in their talents. That's what happens in all industries, gaming included.
As long as the intermediate company is legit, everybody wins.
SEG4GES

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2015, 01:13:22 pm »
even Atlus are doing better In-House stuff .

You say that like it's something surprising or whatever.

Anyway, aren't they doing some pretty cool games in the Arcade department? And didn't they move most of their developers with actual talent to the mobile division? Fuck, just the other thread here pointed out that the crazy taxi creator is working on a mobile action rpg with retarded high production values.

They probably can't work that well on core gaming because their past core game developers are stuck in other development divisions. You know, the ones that don't matter to old school Sega fans.

While we're at it, the Crazy Taxi mobile game is fucking horrible. Giant stain on the series. Crazy Taxi 3 was stupid good.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2015, 01:21:19 pm »
Anyway, aren't they doing some pretty cool games in the Arcade department?

I mention this in the upcoming Sega Japan feature article, but a mistake Sega has made is completly gutting console development in the arcade division. Especially when arcades are non-existent outside of Japan.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2015, 02:56:09 pm »
Well not really..
I don't know how it works in Japan, but usually outsourcing companies have employees signed in full-time-contracts and lend them to companies interested in their talents. That's what happens in all industries, gaming included.
As long as the intermediate company is legit, everybody wins.

Eh? That's not really how it works. If you are a contractor with one of those companies, like Volt or Creative Circle or whatever, they call you up when a position opens. But they don't keep you employed with any kind of payments or benefits when you're not working with one of their clients. This is speaking from experience, as I've been a contractor for many years now. In any event, the original point was the idea that TA has that in 2015 Sega should be functioning like General Motors in the 1950s, with nothing but full-time employees producing all their works. Sega outsources just like every other company in the industry, nothing unusual there.

Offline FlareHabanero

• Total Meseta: 4
  • Resident of Puyo Hell
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2015, 03:43:09 pm »
Keep in mind the reason why companies outsource their IPs varies, but the most common reason is that there is a lack of manpower to produce something new since internal staff are already busy with planning and developing other titles. Naturally they look for another division or third party to produce the game under supervision in order to produce or assist with those titles. Companies practice this since it means software can be produced at a consistent rate without brutally murdering their own staff. It's a common enough practice that some companies like TOSE and Dimps specialize in these type of collaborations.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2015, 08:00:00 pm »
Eh? That's not really how it works. If you are a contractor with one of those companies, like Volt or Creative Circle or whatever, they call you up when a position opens. But they don't keep you employed with any kind of payments or benefits when you're not working with one of their clients. This is speaking from experience, as I've been a contractor for many years now. In any event, the original point was the idea that TA has that in 2015 Sega should be functioning like General Motors in the 1950s, with nothing but full-time employees producing all their works. Sega outsources just like every other company in the industry, nothing unusual there.
Interesting, both me and my fiancee are contracted as I said each in our respective fields.. Guess it differs
SEG4GES

Offline MykonosFan

• Total Meseta: 0
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:18:06 am by MykonosFan »

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2015, 02:19:26 am »
I mention this in the upcoming Sega Japan feature article, but a mistake Sega has made is completly gutting console development in the arcade division. Especially when arcades are non-existent outside of Japan.

This got me thinking...is the move to moblie really that surprising? I mean, ignore the fact that loads of them are trying it now, but for SEGA it does sort of make sense. Arcade games are very quick experiences designed to easily play, but difficult to master. This drop in, drop out style easily fits the mobile gaming model. I mean, as you said, arcades are non-existent outside of Japan, but most people have a smartphone now that can offer the same experience.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2015, 02:30:58 am »
Saw the screenshots and the teaser... I guess it's not going to be a Strategy RPG? This seems like a more traditional JRPG.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2015, 03:42:46 am »
Not sure how you can make that comparison since SOJ never had the chance to flex their muscles with a next-gen only title

And it seems like they never will . SEGA Japan should be allowing its own In-House teams learn and get used to next gen consoles, not pay Media Vision (whom seem to really nice tech)

with nothing but full-time employees producing all their works. Sega outsources just like every other company in the industry, nothing unusual there

I haven't said that at all but never mind and no not all Teams outsource most of their console development and I'm not against the odd bit of outsourcing too  . I much rather SEGA Japan outsource its Handheld and mobile games and keep most of the console stuff in-House kind of what the likes of Ubi, EA and some others do .

The Val Team already produced stunning tech and a great game and can see no reason why SEGA Japan felt the need to outsoruce other than the Team aren't up to the task, the team are busy on a new epic  or most prob it's done to cut costs
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2015, 06:37:53 am »
Cool stuff! News'd it.

Honestly I am not bothered by the gameplay change. I mean, this isn't Valkyria Chronicles 4. It's Valkyria: Azure Revolution. And it's not like changing up a franchise's gameplay is always a bad thing, look at the jump from PS IV to PSO.