Poll

Should Sega license out their IPs?

Yes they should
No they shouldn't

Author Topic: Should Sega license out their IPs?  (Read 7800 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Should Sega license out their IPs?
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:16:32 am »
After it was announced that Nintendo will be publishing BAYONETTA 2, it set a danger ous precedent that thinking about i feel that they should at least go with. Sega should license out some of their other ips to game publisher/developers that want to make them.

Actually its not the first time Sega has licensed out their games to other publishers but this recent trend was started on the xbox when REZ was licensed out to the game's creator and his new studio Q Entertainment to create the HD version. Now its clear which way Sega is going towards the next gen, and after what's happened to BAYONETTA a game that proved to be quite profitable but alas expensive to recreate. Isnt it time for Sega to do the same with other IPs? Most people here and probably nearly every Sega fan wants to see SHENMUE completed, Yu Suzuki has also inquired about licensing the game from sega, they already licensed the use of VIRTUA FIGHTER to him and someone else for a mobile phone card swapping game that nobody cares about. But if he believes he can get the money in order to complete the series or at least continue the game without the game costing anything to sega then why not? What makes BAYONETTA so important that Sega was willing to give out the license for the big N to exclusivily publish? And i'm not just talking about SHENMUE either but other titles that could or should be licensed out if Sega is unwilling or cant afford to do the game for the next gen. Its a win win for the company because they'll get some money from the license and a cut from the game sales and they didn't actually had to pay to make it, if the game is sucesful it benefits sega in the long run. I wouldn't approve of this idea usually but Sega set this precedent themselves and the fact that they'll only going to release a handful of big games for next gen(lower than the xbox1 Sega releases) wont cut it. What do you lot think?

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Should Sega license out their IPs?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:18:00 pm »
I can tolerate licensing titles to other publishers, but not some random developers.  We know Bayonetta 2 is in good hands because it's still being developed by Platinum.  Rez was licensed to its original designer, and Virtua Fighter was licensed to its original designer. 

On the other hand, Shinobi 3DS was licensed to another developer and published by Sega.  In that case the developer were big fans of Shinobi and came up with a test build to pitch to Sega, who apparently had no plans of their own for the series but could see that it was a quality product.  That is obviously a preferable situation to the case of Golden Axe: Beast Rider, in which a substandard studio was assigned the task of rebooting an IP.

But something developed and published by some other companies... My first reaction is, I just can't see myself having a good feeling about some long-dormant, beloved IP like Alex Kidd or Space Harrier being revived but having no in-house involvement.  But ultimately I think if they were high quality games it could be a good thing.

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 02:59:59 pm »
Nintendo trusted SEGA with F-Zero and that worked out great. Trusting Team Ninja with Metroid... not so great.

Could Team Ninja do a good Fighting Vipers or Last Bronx? Highly likely, especially as a downloadable game.

The greatest unlikely thing that would unravel time itself is if Nintendo developed a Sonic game, and SEGA did a Mario one. Mind blown.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:05:50 am »
Nintendo trusted SEGA with F-Zero and that worked out great. Trusting Team Ninja with Metroid... not so great.

Could Team Ninja do a good Fighting Vipers or Last Bronx? Highly likely, especially as a downloadable game.

The greatest unlikely thing that would unravel time itself is if Nintendo developed a Sonic game, and SEGA did a Mario one. Mind blown.

I think Team Ninja would do a wonderful job with this game Team NinjaXStreets Of Rage. Since sega hasn't been able to get this game or find a suitable devoleper for this game. With those guys added with Yuzo's music.....wow. Best thing after Sega japan doing the game themselves of course.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »
NIS/XSEED would be good for VC3 localisation, since NIS did the localisation for Sakura Wars.

I have faith in a few such as Falcom, Nintendo and Namco (as long as they don't restrict it within Japan) but I am more wary of the likes of Square Enix, Konami and even Capcom.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »
NIS/XSEED would be good for VC3 localisation, since NIS did the localisation for Sakura Wars.

I have faith in a few such as Falcom, Nintendo and Namco (as long as they don't restrict it within Japan) but I am more wary of the likes of Square Enix, Konami and even Capcom.

I'm with you on NIS. I've really grown to love them over the past year.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »
I'm with you on NIS. I've really grown to love them over the past year.

I've heard that they expanded their offices due to their success with the Disgaea series. I hope that they made more IPs that are just as popular.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 05:32:00 pm »
I've heard that they expanded their offices due to their success with the Disgaea series. I hope that they made more IPs that are just as popular.

Their Western release of the Atelier games were brilliant. That's what really got me into them.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:02:05 pm »
Good topic Joe.

Frankly, if Sega is going to neglect/ruin their franchises, why not have someone else pay for the rights to do something with it? If they don't want to do anything with Bayonetta, hell yeah let Nintendo publish the game (and pay for the privelage). I would love to see them farm out Shining Force for example, so we get something that isn't a dating sim or whatever the hell they are making with the name now.

Team Ninja? The DOA guys? I dunno, they really don't fill me with confidence in making good fighters.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:21:13 pm »
I don't want to see my favorite Sega franchises licensed out to other companies. It happened to Sakura Wars V and that didn't do well. I didn't know that NIS (which I was unfamiliar with the company at the time) was going to publish it until SegaBits mentioned it, but I still bought it. If Sega West had done it like they did with VC, it would have sold well enough.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:35 am »
To the 5 people who have voted 'no' so far, would you rather have Bayonetta 2 never be created rather than have Nintendo publish it?

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 11:10:31 am »
To the 5 people who have voted 'no' so far, would you rather have Bayonetta 2 never be created rather than have Nintendo publish it?

No, but that's because Platinum is still making it.  If it were being developed by Nintendo, forget it.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 11:16:39 am »
@kori maru,the game itself wasnt hot to begin with,i doubt sega localisation would have made a difference.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 02:26:00 pm »
No, but that's because Platinum is still making it.  If it were being developed by Nintendo, forget it.

Agreed. That was my thinking too. I voted "NO" in the poll in regards to IPs like Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star, , Virtua Fighter,Sonic. Internal stuff. In regards to Bayonetta, I view that situation differently since it is still the same developer. Just different publisher.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 02:47:22 pm »
@MM I agree about SHINING FORCE if     Sega,nintendo can work something out,but with golden sun around,not a chance.