Poll

Should Sega license out their IPs?

Yes they should
No they shouldn't

Author Topic: Should Sega license out their IPs?  (Read 7800 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Should Sega license out their IPs?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 05:02:45 pm »
To everyone saying 'Bayonetta is different', in terms of what this question is asking, it's really not. Platinum games isn't Sega, so essentially Sega has just licensed out the IP to Nintendo to make the game. I can see where you are coming from, but by voting 'no' you're saying you wouldn't have wanted Bayonetta 2 to get made. I do understand where you are coming from and maybe this isn't just a 'yes or no' kind of deal, but still.

Even Sega's internal stuff, unless they are actually doing something good with it, they may as well let someone else have a stab at it I guess. As a random example, we are never going to see another good Streets of Rage as long as Sega holds the IP, let's be honest. If they let someone else take the reigns though... we might get a horrendous pile of garbage, but we might also get something cool.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »
Metroid: Other M ruined what was one of my favourite video game franchises. Never again.

Considering SEGA were responsible for their very own abomination, might as well be them who screw up rather than someone else. I would not mind developers like Camelot coming back and working on Shining however.

Being honest though, outside of Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star and Total War or Football Manager, who in their right mind would pay to use SEGA's older IPs? Very few, if any. Platinum Games found themselves in the unique circumstances with both working with Nintendo and having a prior relationship with a publisher who is known to be quite friendly with third parties. So I do not see this occurring with older IPs like Streets of Rage, Ristar, Burning Rangers etc

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 07:05:55 pm »
^True, not many people are going to be clamouring for Sega's old IPs after years of non-existence. Either way, as you said Sega has had a lot of occasions where they just abandon their old games, or alternatively butcher them in a terrible way (Nights JOD comes to mind...). Might as well let those IPs go to someone else who actually wants them.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 06:23:24 pm »
Only if the name doesn't have a respectable status, i'd say why not.

For example, I didn't mind zaxxon that much.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:04 am »
To everyone saying 'Bayonetta is different', in terms of what this question is asking, it's really not. Platinum games isn't Sega, so essentially Sega has just licensed out the IP to Nintendo to make the game. I can see where you are coming from, but by voting 'no' you're saying you wouldn't have wanted Bayonetta 2 to get made. I do understand where you are coming from and maybe this isn't just a 'yes or no' kind of deal, but still.

Even Sega's internal stuff, unless they are actually doing something good with it, they may as well let someone else have a stab at it I guess. As a random example, we are never going to see another good Streets of Rage as long as Sega holds the IP, let's be honest. If they let someone else take the reigns though... we might get a horrendous pile of garbage, but we might also get something cool.

Yes because by saying no you are saying no to this...

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/886464-shenmue-creator-wants-to-buy-game-rights-from-sega

Offline Centrale

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:52 am »

What?!  Why even ask the question if you're just going twist around people's answers to suit your expectations.  That's not what we're saying at all.  The bottom line is Platinum is developing the game, not Nintendo.  Nintendo is funding it, not involved in development of it. 

As for Shenmue, if that comes to pass it will be Yu Suzuki leading development, not whoever ends up publishing it.  It would be an entirely different story if Sega licensed it out to some other random shithouse.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 04:39:19 pm »
^Platinum and Yu Suzuki aren't Sega though, and Sega wouldn't be publishing it so yes it is licensing it out.

I'm not trying to twist your words or answers but I'm just saying that Bayonetta being published by Nintendo is Sega licensing out it's IP. Shenmue going to Yu Suzuki is Sega licensing out their IP.

As I said, maybe 'yes or no' doesn't really suit this conversation since it seems many people do believe 'yes they should license it, but only to certain publishers and developers'.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 05:17:13 pm »
LOL, I thought that's what we were talking about all along.  I just assumed there would be some care involved in who is allowed to work with a license.  I wouldn't expect them to just auction off licenses to the highest bidder no matter what their qualifications were.  Coming soon, Alex Kidd in Klan World, by American Nazi Party Games.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
LOL, I thought that's what we were talking about all along.  I just assumed there would be some care involved in who is allowed to work with a license.  I wouldn't expect them to just auction off licenses to the highest bidder no matter what their qualifications were.  Coming soon, Alex Kidd in Klan World, by American Nazi Party Games.

What on Earth are you on about? That game sounds awesome!

Rock, Paper, HAIL HITLER!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 05:56:24 pm »
I can see it now, using the power belt to set a cross on fire...