Author Topic: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America  (Read 112986 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2015, 04:57:17 am »
On one hand I think consoles are done for, Sega is simply getting their shit together before it all crashes down.
On the other, I side with TA. There's nothing to be excited about, games wise

Wildcard:
Sega is buying up all these companies and IPs and cutting connection with consoles, so that when other consoles fail Sega rises with it's own console filled with exceptional exclusives.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:59:16 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2015, 06:25:59 am »
We only know that a third of Sega Japan's developers is making mobile. What lies beyond, who knows.

Well look at SEGA the last 2 or so . Hardly anything from SEGA Japan other than Yakuza, Sonic (and even Sonic team seem to be now focused on bloody mobile)   and a few music games. I really wonder if the rest are up to the task of producing  AAA console games that can rival anything that other 3rd parties couldn't do or offer. Be it on-line, Next Gen pipe lines tech and R&D or just making AAA games SEGA Japan seems really behind most major studios these days.

Some might same its great SEGA makes money (and it is) that it  makes great mobile games: but that is not the SEGA I loved or supported even their Arcade line up is a bit depressing these days . I worry about SEGA Japan becoming irreverent to most gamers with each passing year.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:33:49 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 06:44:23 am »
The point of Sega Japan being really relevant to anyone outside of Japan passed a long time ago.

The Yakuza series still generates excitement among gamers who like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid, delaying the localizations for so long kills the buzz when the latest game is in Japan.

You say the Arcade line-up doesn't speak to you, but really it's the arcade industry or the game industry in general in Japan that doesn't seem to be exciting to most.

I liked the line-up of games Sega had last gen. Jun Yoshino produced stuff like the Platinum Games and Binary Domain and is now at Sony, helming stuff like Bloodborne, a new next-gen Japan IP. Sega needs to have something like that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:01:49 am by Trippled »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 08:06:06 am »
I've been saying it for a long time, there's very little reason to be a 'Sega fan' anymore.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 08:13:09 am »
No, I think Sega is still fun to follow and I like the stuff they make.

It's just in the western world, I don't care too much. I follow the Japanese Sega Twitter accounts, but not the western one.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 08:15:21 am »
The content's collapsed dramatically, that's undeniable.

But it's the same for gaming in general, there's really less content in the medium to big publishers space if you enjoy specific types of games outside of first/third person shooters, overworld games or mobile. Only the console developers have any sort of impressive library coming into this generation and even then, only Nintendo has a good one.

Even with Capcom they've yet to get more than one game out of their pipeline. The one that they did was made by their American branch. Japanese publishers and developers are going to look to maximize their earnings via crossplatform development or social games (Unless prepped up by one of the big 3s) whilst Activision, EA and Ubisoft are going to continue to dominate the AAA space, that's pretty much the future of the industry at this point.

And Sonic Team making mobile games isn't a bad idea. If it takes resources away from console development it would be an issue but there is nothing to suggest it does.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 08:26:20 am »
It's the current video game climate that's kinda depressing in general. SEGA had a huge influence on my gaming life and yeah with them nearly invisible on the Third Party Scene it's hard to get excited. Could be worse, look at Atari right now. Now that is depressing.

But when you think about it, most developers which are within SEGA's range (Square Enix, Deep Silver, Namco Bandai, Konami, Capcom) they are very much using the following approach:

-2 or 3 AAA boxed titles;
-A ton of digital releases on PC and Mobile;
-"Remastered" HD games on Xbox One and Playstation 4;

SEGA seems to be doing OK on PC and they've proved themselves with the Aliens franchise. Sonic is SEGA's Call of Duty and they definately need to get this sorted out asap.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 09:10:35 am »
When we have stuff like the 3D Classics, Isolation, and VC on PC - not to mention the upcoming Yakuza 5 localization and the Miku games (which are a lot of fun once you get past the cheesiness that is vocaloids) - that is more than enough reason for me to continue to be a SEGA fan.

I know Mademan is the Cranky Kong of the forums, so I'm wasting my time writing this, but I disagree with the sentiment that there is no longer a reason to be a SEGA fan. I know I dig this up a lot, but the past 30+ years are enough reason for me to always be a fan. Even if SEGA evaporated tomorrow, nothing takes away the memories or the huge back catalog of games that I enjoy replaying, and the many titles I haven't even scratched the surface of. I know the counter is that you're referring to their output NOW, which I agree is not as strong as the SEGA console era nor is it as strong as the mid-00s. But it's simply a sign of the times. It's unfortunate that SEGA has had to scale back, but I still think what we did get last year and will be getting this year (with the exception of Rise of Lyric) has been enjoyable.

That's why I have to scratch my head when people like Nameless 24 make their exit from the community. I don't mean to call the guy out, but SEGA of America's proposed 2015 plans are not much different from 2014. Sure there will be less output, but there will be output and there will be games to enjoy. I know one of his reasons for leaving was SEGA moving away from physical releases, however it has been noted that physical releases are not going away, and quite honestly does a box and a disc make a game better? Is Yakuza 5 a better game when the disc is spinning versus running from the hard drive? And let's be honest, Xbox, Playstation, and Wii U cases are far from exciting. Colored DVD and blu-ray cases with a slipcover and no manual. I'm not saying I want physical releases to go away, but they are hardly a reason I'm a SEGA fan.

I want good games, and I want enough of them released each year. That's it. If this means more digital titles than physical, so be it.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 10:52:46 am »
I've been saying it for a long time, there's very little reason to be a 'Sega fan' anymore.

Yep they're all but dead . Quite sad too see SEGA Japan  become such a lame duck in the console world.

Even with Capcom they've yet to get more than one game out of their pipeline. The one that they did was made by their American branch. Japanese publishers and developers are going to look to maximize their earnings via crossplatform development or social games

Some key differences ... Capcom have a Next gen piple line and engine that already showing off impressive results . They not only have opened a toally seprate HQ to handle their mobile games (paid for the profits from MH III) but also have brand new HQ to go and another one that be ready to go in 2 years time : Capcom are investing and taking on staff ready for the next gen and the generations after that .

SEGA Japan have none of that, not even a next gen engine :Yakuza 0 engine is hardly state of the art for a PS4 game , even Fromsoftware will be wowing more gamers with its Bloodbone  and then its Team can work and build on the tech with no doubt sequels to Dark Souls and Armored Core . Where's SEGA Japan next gen piple line and engine to match these then Aki ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74eveBPDY5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrXCfVKXEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa2VwNV-6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjyb3TKWcVo

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline max_cady

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:05 am »
Also, we've had this dance before. SEGA has only made a few game annoucements and I expect them to show their full lineup before E3. This has been their standard practice since the early Xbox 360 days.

That being said, I'm also a little partial on the whole physical vs digital thing. I still wanna have stuff on my shelf when it comes to video games. Even though, I've reversed that stance on movies, music and comics.

Personally, I wanna see how Yakuza 5 on digital only plays out. Who knows, maybe it'll be sucessful enough to warrant other big digital titles and usher in the era of digital AAA big budget game releases.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 11:13:40 am »
Also, we've had this dance before. SEGA has only made a few game annoucements and I expect them to show their full lineup before E3.

And nothing ever comes of it. I can't remember the last time SEGA wowed gamers at the Toyko Game show or E3 . I think the real reason is SEGA Japan have little to show off when it comes to the next gen . They've all but given up and are focused on bloody mobiles :(
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Trippled

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 11:21:20 am »

And nothing ever comes of it. I can't remember the last time SEGA wowed gamers at the Toyko Game show or E3 . I think the real reason is SEGA Japan have little to show off when it comes to the next gen . They've all but given up and are focused on bloody mobiles :(

Tokyo Game Show has been so lame that Yakuza is always the highlight of it. (and PSO2)

Offline max_cady

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 11:22:01 am »
Yeah, I was reading your post regarding Capcom who seemed to have stepped up their game.

Come to think of it, I guess Creative Assembly right now seems to be the only developer that has the tech and experience to do PS4 / Xbox One titles since they did develop the only new-gen game thus far.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 12:18:00 pm »
When we have stuff like the 3D Classics, Isolation, and VC on PC - not to mention the upcoming Yakuza 5 localization and the Miku games (which are a lot of fun once you get past the cheesiness that is vocaloids) - that is more than enough reason for me to continue to be a SEGA fan.

I know Mademan is the Cranky Kong of the forums, so I'm wasting my time writing this, but I disagree with the sentiment that there is no longer a reason to be a SEGA fan. I know I dig this up a lot, but the past 30+ years are enough reason for me to always be a fan. Even if SEGA evaporated tomorrow, nothing takes away the memories or the huge back catalog of games that I enjoy replaying, and the many titles I haven't even scratched the surface of. I know the counter is that you're referring to their output NOW, which I agree is not as strong as the SEGA console era nor is it as strong as the mid-00s. But it's simply a sign of the times. It's unfortunate that SEGA has had to scale back, but I still think what we did get last year and will be getting this year (with the exception of Rise of Lyric) has been enjoyable.

That's why I have to scratch my head when people like Nameless 24 make their exit from the community. I don't mean to call the guy out, but SEGA of America's proposed 2015 plans are not much different from 2014. Sure there will be less output, but there will be output and there will be games to enjoy. I know one of his reasons for leaving was SEGA moving away from physical releases, however it has been noted that physical releases are not going away, and quite honestly does a box and a disc make a game better? Is Yakuza 5 a better game when the disc is spinning versus running from the hard drive? And let's be honest, Xbox, Playstation, and Wii U cases are far from exciting. Colored DVD and blu-ray cases with a slipcover and no manual. I'm not saying I want physical releases to go away, but they are hardly a reason I'm a SEGA fan.

I want good games, and I want enough of them released each year. That's it. If this means more digital titles than physical, so be it.

Referencing Nintendo Characters? A SIGN OF THE TIMES PERHAPS?

As much as I'm the curmudgeonly old man on this forum, I know what you mean, and I think we're just arguing semantics. Sega that I grew up with is the best video game company that ever existed in my eyes. No other Publisher/Developer had as many stand out games and creative ideas that Sega had for my tastes.

But when I talk about being a fan of something, I always think it to reference current output. Unless you put the disclaimer 'back in the day' or for a certain time frame.

I have to share the pessimism for the future though, I don't see much coming from Sega that interests me, or otherwise is so seperated from 'Sega' that anyone could have published it.

I'm a big fan of games going digital, but at the same time I don't think Sega will be publishing the likes of Bayonetta, Valkyria, or old franchises we love in the digital space. I think it will be smaller low budget games and third party efforts instead.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:20:53 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 12:21:44 pm »
who is the best company in the world then...Sega is just 90's that's all there is to it.