Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 164267 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Sonic Generations Chemical Plant Zone / Metal Sonic
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2011, 10:43:49 am »
Are you sure? I have seen almost complete unanimous hate for the Fable series as it has progressed from the first game being overly hyped to people filling up comments of almost every game blog about how they will not be tricked into getting another Fable. The hatred is really similar as far as I see.

Where ?. Fable 1 and II are always being praised even to this day, never mind Fable II is full of more bugs than any Sonic game ever made.

Kenzan mostly was made for the groundwork of games like Yakuza 3, 4 and OF THE END. I think it's budget was deserved in that it has significantly dropped the price of production for three major hits after it.

Kezna took over 3 years and cost upwards of £30 million to make . Yet it's gfx and game engine were hopelessly outclassed by rival 3r parties

The Yakuza engine is not the best thing around, but the Hedgehog Engine really is nowhere near as great as some people say. The potential is certainly there, but at it's current state... it is worse.

? The Yakuza engine was pretty  poor  and basic for next gen shaders (at least Binary Domain is fixing part of that) . At least Sonic makes user of some decent next effects and tries the odd bit of HDR lighting, nice motion blur and some decent water effects . Sonic Gen is already at this stage a far better and one of the best looking games around imo

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2011, 10:53:19 am »
Urh, shits getting serious and I don't have the patience for this kind of long winded novel sized reply anymore.

A lot of that was in reply to TA, but I agree my post was too long, sorry about that.

I'm sure flaws hurt the enjoyment of the game, but all games have flaws. Sonic Adventure had tons of them even when it released... But the same people who are expecting Sonic Generations to be completely flawless are the people that enjoyed Sonic Adventure despite all of its problems and not to mention it was the game that pretty much introduced everything people have been complaining about for the past decade like 'Shitty friends' 'Locked into loops' 'non sonic game play' 'wonky physics' ... 'green eyes'... (A lot of these Sonic Generations has fixed)

I am sure no one expects a flawless game, but when games are specifically marketed as a certain kind of game - Especially one that holds a lot of nostalgic value for many people, things are expected.

Games like New Super Mario Brothers did not get this kind of attention because it was not a direct continuation of Super Mario World and the gameplay is not marketed as "Just like the classics!", it was just a new 2D Mario. Basically what SEGA is doing is falsely advertising stuff like Sonic 4 and Generations when they should just say it is similar, not the same. It is especially upsetting when comments come in a few months before the game ships that basically say nothing will be changed, it is almost as if Sonic Team does not beta test even.

And there can never be a perfect Sonic game because of how much Sonic Team has changed the style throughout the years. There are people who actually prefer everything you just said that they are 'fixing'. It is an endless cycle that Sonic Team dug themselves into. Do not blame the fans for complaining, blame Sonic Team for giving them so many reasons to do so.

As for my list of things people complain about, you are clearly taking this all too personally. I never said anyone on this forum was complaining about these things... I’m not talking about anyone on this forum at all! I'm talking about the complained I keep seeing cropping up in the Sonic fan base. I HAVE seen people complaining about things like the size of the badniks… and other nonsense like that.

I am not really effected by any of your previous comments, just am tired of seeing the same defenses over and over again.

And for the record, badniks that are larger than the bosses is an issue.

Finally, I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with Generations, I agree that the roll is off and the jump could be less heavy. But the fact is it's a million times better than a game that came out only a couple of years ago. They have improved vastly, but nobody is paying attention to that, instead there are people intentionally trying to break it and pick apart any little problem they can find. I saw a video of a guy trying to claim the game is broken after he spent about 3 mins trying to get Sonic to stand on the wall similar to Sonic 4 and he did, for a split second....

The fact that so many people are vocal is a good thing, that the passion for the franchise is still there. We now are aware that many of our comments do actually effect the games in some lights. Like, I honestly never expected Sonic Team to ever have him roll anymore, let alone bring back classic levels or music.

And as I said before, the people defending Sonic Team are just as bad. What you said just now is a wonderful example! The video you mentioned is not about the wall glitch at all, not only is the guy who made the video excited for the game, but the whole video was just made to show off a glitch with the badniks. He did not even notice that he was stuck to the wall when he posted the video.

I would say it takes a lot more effort and skill to make a perfect Sonic game than any other platformer out there, the levels already have to be much bigger, they have to think about sonics speed, trajectory, physics all sorts. It's lame when you see the efforts Sonic Team have put in to this to make the game better and better and nobody giving any credit where it is due.

Yeah, a good Sonic game is certainly harder to make than a Mario, or Kirby game based on what you said. I can agree to all of this, but it is to the point that some fans have been able to upstage some Sonic Team efforts, that is just really embarrassing... I cannot think of a single other game franchise that has this type of issue.

Sonic Team is certainly improving, but it is just so painfully obvious that they are exhausted of the series. You misinterpreted me before through IM when I said this, but I entirely believe that some other developer should take care of the Sonic series for two or three years, maybe more while Sonic Team goes off to do their own thing for awhile like a new IP. Even people like Iizuka talk about they have all of these great ideas about epic stories and stuff. Those can only make the fanbase grumpier right now, so a break could be a really great thing for them.

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2011, 10:57:57 am »
Where ?. Fable 1 and II are always being praised even to this day, never mind Fable II is full of more bugs than any Sonic game ever made.

Kezna took over 3 years and cost upwards of £30 million to make . Yet it's gfx and game engine were hopelessly outclassed by rival 3r parties

? The Yakuza engine was pretty  poor  and basic for next gen shaders (at least Binary Domain is fixing part of that) . At least Sonic makes user of some decent next effects and tries the odd bit of HDR lighting, nice motion blur and some decent water effects . Sonic Gen is already at this stage a far better and one of the best looking games around imo

Where did you get that number for Kenzan? Not saying it is wrong, just curious. I would actually like to know the budgets for all the Yakuza games.

And maybe consider how they were developing an engine for Yakuza Kenzan, 3, 4, and Of The End at the same time. They were investing in the future, not a one-off game.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2011, 11:21:10 am »
Where did you get that number for Kenzan? Not saying it is wrong, just curious. I would actually like to know the budgets for all the Yakuza games.

The 1st Yakuza is on the record for costing over 25 million and Nagosh-san is on the record for saying (at the time) Kenzan was the biggest consumer game he had ever worked on (as Team head) in terms of Man Power and Budget

So at a guess Kenzan would have cost 30 Million maybe, even more.  Each Yakuza game millions , I'm sure SEGA/Kawagoe -san  are the record as saying Yakuza III only just made a profit despite selling over 400,000 copies at the Higher rate of PS3 games in Japan. So even the yearly updates cost millions to SEGA

And maybe consider how they were developing an engine for Yakuza Kenzan, 3, 4, and Of The End at the same time. They were investing in the future, not a one-off game

What and the Sonic Unleashed engine wasn't made with other games in the series in mind? . Same goes for Capcom MT Framework engine or the like of Ubisoft's Anvil engine . It's a pretty silly point, all teams make engines that are then improved for latter game in the series , if they take off.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »
I think the staff on Yakuza games are much bigger than the Sonic games( it's pretty small from what I've seen).

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2011, 01:26:08 pm »
The 1st Yakuza is on the record for costing over 25 million and Nagosh-san is on the record for saying (at the time) Kenzan was the biggest consumer game he had ever worked on (as Team head) in terms of Man Power and Budget

That is completely incorrect.

The first game AND the sequel cost a combined budget of $21 million. No way was Kenzan going to cost them £30 million.

I think the staff on Yakuza games are much bigger than the Sonic games( it's pretty small from what I've seen).

What? Sonic games have over a hundred people working on it, it is not a small team at all.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2011, 01:36:38 pm »
ONM: How does the game make use of the 3DS's StreetPass function?

TI: StreetPass allows players to exchange profiles and even adds games. Further details will be revealed later on
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=158565
"Adds games"
Will the 3DS version have playable Genesis games?
But Sharky is right, There is too much focus on Sonic and these so called broken physics and cheap deaths like they wasn't any in the 16 bit Sonic titles in the 1st place. You look on YouTube and you can see a list of Videos for the likes of Zelda, GT 5, Forza III or Mario Sunshine all displaying iffy moments and real bad physics at times (and GT 5 and Forza are meant to be sims)
Wait... What? Why are you looking for physics in a Mario game, or even a Zelda game?
The problem is that cheap deaths and bad physics are much more apparent in Modern Sonic games. Don't tell me the Classic physics are "about the same" as Sonic 4's. And no, Sonic Generations has not fixed all of them. Scripted launch offs? LMAO! Did Sonic 4 even have that?

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2011, 03:24:17 pm »
All sega really has to do to succeed is make a polished, well crafted experience.  It doesn't even need to address our personal concerns as hardcore fans.  It's the non-sonic fan that needs his attention captured, not us.  We'll buy the shit regardless.   

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2011, 03:42:04 pm »
Alternatively they could make a good game anyone could enjoy, fan or not.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2011, 03:55:38 pm »

I'm positive lots of people, particularly children, have enjoyed Sonic games from the last decade. :)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2011, 05:12:16 pm »

A sonic fan is not going to enjoy it if it doesn't meet their personal requirements as to what a sonic game should be.  As developers, they need to ignore the fans and just focus on making a great game.  There are people here that no matter how "good" the game is, if it doesn't feature open SA styled environments and controls, they're out.   

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2011, 05:13:15 pm »
I'm positive lots of people, particularly children, have enjoyed Sonic games from the last decade. :)

Yes but if they want to expand their userbase, as any good corporation does, they need to just make better games.  Kids will enjoy the good games too I promise. 

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2011, 05:54:04 pm »
Mostly autistics if Sonic Stadium is fair evidence. Though I guess someone has to make games for them.

And there is a difference between a game selling only on Christmas to kids and a game that is considered good. Compare Sonic 2 to Sonic Unleashed. Both sold well, but does anyone care about the latter game now? (Answer is no.)

Bad games do not create brands or continue to sell in the future.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:57:29 pm by Waffle »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »
Mostly autistics if Sonic Stadium is fair evidence. Though I guess someone has to make games for them.

I didn't enjoy most of the Sonic titles from the past decade, but putting it that way is incredibly juvenile and insensitive. It's just wrong on a number of levels. I'm issuing you a warning, and considering your track record this week, I've brought it up with the admins.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:37 am »
The first game AND the sequel cost a combined budget of $21 million

The 20 Million figure did not included the sequel at all. The Budget for Yakuza was over 20 million for the 1st game alone and that is a Fact.

Wait... What? Why are you looking for physics in a Mario game, or even a Zelda game?

I'm not, and I don't really get why people expect the real world physics in a Sonic game.

The problem is that cheap deaths and bad physics are much more apparent in Modern Sonic games

There are plenty of cheap death moments in Sonic 2 for starters. But looking back and rose tinted glasses are a wonderful thing.

And no, Sonic Generations has not fixed all of them

Amazing !. You've played a finished version of Sonic Gen, Please share ...

No way was Kenzan going to cost them £30 million.

Seeing as Yakuza cost over 20 million alone, and Kenzan was a bigger production in terms of man power, budget not helped buy the high costs of High Def next gen development . I see no reason why Kenzan didn't cost SEGA 30 million.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is