Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 164245 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sonic Generations General Discussion
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:18 am »
Woohoo! I've played a lot of it, only bits I've yet to see are the latter half of Planet Wisp act 1 (died halfway, was too lazy to try again), Silver, Egg Dragoon and Time Eater. Started playing yesterday at 2pm, played til 5:30 then got an additional hour in that evening. So a normal person should be able to see the end credits in five hours. However, I barely scratched the surface of the mission acts or red rings. I also did not replay a lot of stages, which I plan to do dozens and dozens of times just like I'd do with Unleashed (day stages) Colors and the Adventure titles.

I will say that this game is VERY replayable. Every main act is incredibly fun, and none of them make you want to play them once and never return (Unleashed did this with some of the later acts and Eggmanland).

Classic Sonic: Loads of fun, this is how Sonic 4 Episode 2 should (and probably will) control. Lots of nods to past games in later stages. Planet Wisp evokes Spring Yard Zone, Crisis City evokes Lava Reef act 2, Rooftop Run evokes Carnival Night. Power ups a fun, but not required. I did find my personal favorite set, which includes faster speeds, ring retention and shields. Overall, Classic Sonic, while simple in concept, is great fun and continues to be fun as the game goes on thanks to gimmicks and skills.

Modern Sonic: Amazing! Like Adventure meets Unleashed. I was afraid the game would be non-stop speed like Unleashed, but once I hit Sky Sanctuary I realized the game plays both ways. You run, trick and boost through areas, and slow down for 3D and 2D platforming. A lot of the stages open up to big 3D areas that remind me of the best of Adventure 1&2. Seaside Hill feels a lot like Emerald Coast in SA1, with large spaces littered with enemies and items. Overall, a great mix of what has worked since 1998, and removes what didn't work.

This is a game that I see myself playing for years, returning to it (even after beating it) again and again to find items, play with new background songs and explore different paths.

Wish I was home playing it NOW. :P I might get the 3DS version for myself just to have a taste of the game on the go, despite it playing differently.

I'm not the one reviewing it for SEGAbits, but in my opinion it's an "A" release, only brought down from an "A+" because it could use more boss battles. Another three would have been welcomed. Such as sub bosses, personally I would have loved to see these three represented:

Not Rivals, not major bosses, but sub-bosses. Would have brought the boss total up to 9 to match the stage count.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #406 on: November 02, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »
I'm addicted to this game xD don't have much more to say. Crisis City classic kicked my ass though xD that was the hardest zone for me.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #407 on: November 02, 2011, 03:24:39 pm »
I beat the main game last night. 

Other than the excessive loading and framerate problems, the only thing that really killed the game for me was the final boss.  Like, I don't think I've played a boss battle this mucked up in a long time.  A really bad note to end on.  Egg dragoon was also bad.  The controls were seriously effed up for that battle.     

My favorite stage is probably classic spagonia.  Great set pieces, music, and visual progression (from the streets to the wine cellars to the clock tower to the airship.  Brilliant)

My least favorite is Modern Seaside hill.  Shit is awful.  The camera is almost always in the wrong place and the level design doesn't make a lick of sense.

oh, and it's worth noting that the Silver rival battle was surprisingly delightful.  A really great old school challenge. 

over all, I'd say the game is good but a definite step down from Colors on many fronts.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:27:27 pm by Radrappy »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #408 on: November 02, 2011, 03:59:47 pm »
My copy was shipped today. I hope it makes it on Friday.

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #409 on: November 02, 2011, 06:04:35 pm »
For those who bought Sonic Generations on Steam (PC), it's already possible to pre-load the game, that means, it's possible the download the full game, but the game is encrypted and will only be unlocked once it's released (November 4 at midnight GMT).

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #410 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »
How do you do that ezo? I mean for me it still says 4th november. Is it set on 3 for you ?

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #411 on: November 02, 2011, 06:57:25 pm »
How do you do that ezo? I mean for me it still says 4th november. Is it set on 3 for you ?
On your Steam library, does Generations appear as "Sonic Generations" or "Sonic Generations Pre-order"?

If it appears as "Sonic Generations Pre-order", restart Steam or check for Steam client updates (the option is on the Steam menu).
If it appears already as "Sonic Generations", right click it and there should be an option to start the pre-load.

If you're talking about how do I know when the game will unlock, it said this in the Sonic Generations steam page 1 hour ago: "This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 1 hour".

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #412 on: November 02, 2011, 08:00:48 pm »
I had to restart steam. Thanks for the heads up ezo, apreciate it

But this whole lock thing? Isn't there a work around it?

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #413 on: November 03, 2011, 08:57:05 am »
I had to restart steam. Thanks for the heads up ezo, apreciate it

But this whole lock thing? Isn't there a work around it?
Definitely not. The game is heavily encrypted in it's current state, and we will receive an update to decrypt the game on the release time (in about 10 hours).

According to a moderator in the Steam forums, Portal 2 used AES-256 encryption, I guess most likely all pre-loaded games use that type of encryption. This is why games that are released first on Steam are pretty much impossible to pirate before the release date, that is, unless someone that works for the publisher would leak the game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:08:33 am by ezodagrom »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #414 on: November 03, 2011, 02:54:30 pm »
Definitely not. The game is heavily encrypted in it's current state, and we will receive an update to decrypt the game on the release time (in about 10 hours).

According to a moderator in the Steam forums, Portal 2 used AES-256 encryption, I guess most likely all pre-loaded games use that type of encryption. This is why games that are released first on Steam are pretty much impossible to pirate before the release date, that is, unless someone that works for the publisher would leak the game.
Lol wow, that's some good security there. Steam rocks. Only 5 hours left....

I just can't wait sigh

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #415 on: November 03, 2011, 05:07:44 pm »
Lol wow, that's some good security there. Steam rocks. Only 5 hours left....

I just can't wait sigh
Yeah. Even the EULA txt files are encrypted, haha.
Anyway, only 1h50 left. :D

Offline max_cady

« Reply #416 on: November 03, 2011, 06:01:18 pm »
I hope my copy arrives tomorrow, I so want to play it this weekend.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #417 on: November 03, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »
30 minutes left, oh man i'm so pumped

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #418 on: November 03, 2011, 06:55:35 pm »
It's out, I just started decrypting it. :D

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #419 on: November 03, 2011, 07:04:58 pm »
Yeah same, takes kinda long though lol. Well Im gonna be playing this for a while. Have fun ezo ;)