Author Topic: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America  (Read 112970 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2015, 08:02:06 am »
Nintendo is it's own thing. They are smaller, release less games and are conservative. They publish about 7 games a year, and at least most of them are of decent quality. They never really chaned since the 80's, in my mind.

I like that they are truly global, most of the time. Sega lost that
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:29:46 am by Trippled »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2015, 08:23:32 am »
Learning curve than RTS? I find RTS to be easier to play, MOBAs are more highly competitive imo.

The thing is, controlling multiple armies doesn't make a game harder or deeper and even then, making a game harder to pick up is just bad game design. MOBAs are about working as a team of 5, it has more in common with Football (UK, aka SOCCER) and Basketball than it does with RTS games.

You have 5 people having their or separate jobs in the map, you need map control, you need to do last hits on minions, you need to poke and you need to get powers that will help your enemies in team fights. You have objectives in the maps you have to beat people to, its just a game where you play 40 minutes of trying to outsmart the other team.

There is a reason why the tournaments are huge for these games and will continue to grow. They are some of the most highly competitive games out right now due to always balancing and changing the game, keeping it fresh years after release (LOL came out in 2008).

I'm not saying they aren't competitive or have depth, just that they probably seem less imposing to newcomers and are less taxing execution wise from my understanding.

I think a big part of their success is that the big 2 are free to play as well.

I mean I get it if Sonic Generations wasn't for you, but like George said it's clearly a good game

As someone who played the game for about 10 minutes I can safely say you're wrong. It's fucking garbage and has end of the world monsters.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2015, 08:58:47 am »

As someone who played the game for about 10 minutes I can safely say you're wrong. It's fucking garbage and has end of the world monsters.

I know you like talking shit about Sonic, but in this case you've lost it.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2015, 09:03:10 am »
Not cool mang. Not cool.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2015, 09:20:50 am »
I know you like talking shit about Sonic, but in this case you've lost it.
Not cool mang. Not cool.

Turn on game: Sonic with ten million furry friends, giant end of the world monster, cutscene that would probably have gone for forty minutes had I not skipped it.

Okay, let's try the game.

BOOST BOOST BOOST BOOST with twenty versions of beach levels and seventy-eight versions of city levels, mostly from horrible Sonic games and only one level each from the only actual good games in the series (Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles).

The tennis segment wasn't even fun.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2015, 10:14:18 am »
Kind of want to tell Mang more about the Time Eater but I myself got disappointed I spoiled myself about it.

Also Speed Highway is a classic level : <

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2015, 10:48:37 am »
Kind of want to tell Mang more about the Time Eater
More like Dick Eater, that game was so bad.

You know a game is terrible when I can say that after having only played five minutes of it.  :afroman: :afroman: :afroman: :afroman: :afroman:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2015, 10:54:04 am »
Is it worth having a discussion with you when you take sense one minute, and then act like a trollololol ass the second?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2015, 11:48:14 am »
Is it worth having a discussion with you when you take sense one minute, and then act like a trollololol ass the second?

This topic seems to be a mish mash of nonsense already anyway. Also I was surprised people took my post seriously at all, it was too tempting to pick it up and run with it.

Having said that I don't think Sonic Gens looks very good at all and I don't really have any desire to play any more of it. One level per game kills any remaining enthusiasm I might have had.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2015, 12:52:36 pm »
I kind of feel MadeMan on this.  Gens is a game that honestly feels worse from a certain perspective every time I play it.  The level design is kind of garbage; the reliance on boosting and homing attacking your way through the levels really shines a spot light on just how poorly Sonic controls in a 3d space as the game would be literally unplayable without those abilities.  The bosses are mostly junk, the story is barebones, and the level selection is morbidly bad.  The music/visuals are nice and the game has its heart in the right place but from a gameplay perspective it is certainly not the messiah many make it out to be.  Far from it.  A game where Sonic controls so poorly as he does in the boost games fundamentally is broken.     

Another thing to note is that context is everything.  After monstrosities like 06, Shadow, Black Knight, and Unleashed, Colors/Gens look good by comparison.  Really damn good.  But if Gens was the first game you've played since the megadrive games or even SA1, you might not be impressed.  Most of us had the luxury of having played Unleashed first to ease us into the boost style of game too.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 01:17:26 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:46 pm »
Sega has never made a good 3d plattformer, there.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2015, 02:48:54 pm »
Basically what this whole thread is about, someone played Sonic Generations for less than 10 minutes and wrote a review. Mademan works at IGN confirmed.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2015, 03:08:15 pm »
Sega has never made a good 3d plattformer, there.

Billy Hatcher wasn't awful

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2015, 03:30:25 pm »
Basically what this whole thread is about, someone played Sonic Generations for less than 10 minutes and wrote a review. Mademan works at IGN confirmed.

I didn't even make it to ten minutes it was  so bad!

Jokes aside, I played Dengeki Buko Climax yesterday, I feel my comments about it being a poverty fighter are 100% justified, and can add that the game is pure, unadulterated shit. But it's also kinda fun.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »
Billy Hatcher wasn't awful

I was just joking, actually. But really, people blow the hate on some Sonic games out of proportion...

I'd say Billy Hatcher really has alot of the similar problems of recent Sonic games. Generally unrefined, clunky etc. You're right it's not awful, but personally I would count the awful Sonic games on one hand...

Not to mention Jet Set Radio really felt clunky to play too IMO, even at the time. Personally I thought the Sonic Adventure games just felt way better to play...yeah it had good music and art, but Sonic has that too.
JSRF and Sonic Adventure 2 had the best 3d platform control of any Sega game IMO.