Author Topic: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?  (Read 21002 times)

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
Re: What's next for Dreamcast Revival?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 06:20:10 am »
My realistic takes:
- Propeller Arena.
- Toy Commander.
- The first Space Channel 5.
- Sonic Adventure 2.
- Chu Chu Rocket.
- Cosmic Smash.

The first one is completed, I see no reason to not put it up, at the very least the sales would cover the porting costs. Toy Commander is excellent, it wasn't published by Sega but I'm sure Sega owns the rights to it. It's great fun, it lasts for forever and has a fine multiplayer splitscreen mode which is a rarity in many games these days.

As for SC5, I can see them porting it eventually. Part 2 has MJ, that's why it's coming out first (do they want to release it at the same time as Ubisoft's game? :lol: ). Sonic Adventure 2 is a given, it will come out next year, probably as a bridge to the anniversary game. Chu Chu is on its way to iThings, I'm hoping it does well, I need that stuff on Xbox. Cosmic Smash, an obscure Japanese-only release, would please many import freaks like me but its niche nature wouldn't make it very appealing to the masses, I'm not sure if publishing it would be worth it.

The not so realistic:
- Shenmue
- Skies of Arcadia

I don't think space is an issue here, to be honest. The sound in Skies Legends was bad because it was very compressed. Audio codecs evolved and these days stuff sounds great and takes little space. However, testing and debugging an RPG is a nightmare... As for Shenmue, many (if not all) of the graphical assets across the discs were reused, the biggest chunk was definitely audio and the same deal applies here. Shenmue 2 is a whole different story and XBLA's file limits are a step back. They could get around this by releasing Shenmue 2 on the Xbox Originals, but I don't think Microsoft releases games under the "originals" brand anymore. Besides, doesn't Microsoft "own" that release?

The licensing nightmares:
- Jet Set Radio

Well, we discussed this regarding Crazy Taxi. Sega owns at least one third of the soundtrack, including the iconic Let Mom Sleep. Releasing a gimped game would annoy a lot of people but having some of the soundtrack instead of having a completely different one is way better. And there's custom soundtracks...definitely nowhere as bad as Crazy Taxi.

Needless to say, all of these re-releases must have widescreen because it can make me buy them. Ha.

</confusing post>
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 10:22:56 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
Toy Commander is excellent, it wasn't published by Sega but I'm sure Sega owns the rights to it. It's great fun, it lasts for forever and has a fine multiplayer splitscreen mode which is a rarity in many games these days.

As for SC5, I can see them porting it eventually. Part 2 has MJ, that's why it's coming out first (do they want to release it at the same time as Ubisoft's game? :lol: ). Sonic Adventure 2 is a given, it will come out next year, probably as a bridge to the anniversary game. Chu Chu is on its way to iThings, I'm hoping it does well, I need that stuff on Xbox. Cosmic Smash, an obscure Japanese-only release, would please many import freaks like me but its niche nature wouldn't make it very appealing to the masses, I'm not sure if publishing it would be worth it.

The copy of Toy Commander I have was published by SEGA.

Michael Jackson's in the first Space Channel 5 too. I think the biggest thing holding back a re-release of the first game is the fact that they're doing them all in high definition.  The first game was all pre-rendered (and pretty compressed) video sequences with character models pasted on top. Doing it in HD and widescreen would mean re-doing all of those videos. I really don't see them making that much of an effort. Also, the second game is much better than the first.

Cosmic Smash would be pretty great. I could see it translating really nicely to HD with it's Rez-ish visuals.

Offline Orta

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
Yes, published by Sega. I meant it wasn't produced by Sega, but by a French team called No Cliché. My apologies.

Offline kozmo

• Total Meseta: 0
  • The key to victory on this cool course is patience
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 12:01:16 pm »
Whilst i'd obviously prefer to have the full original soundtrack for a JSR rerelease, licensing issues wouldn't be as big a hurdle as they may seem, as you could replace the dropped tracks with other Naganuma tracks from JSRF, Ollie King or even Sega Rally. Whilst it wouldn't be ideal, it would be in keeping with the style of the game and wouldn't be all that jarring.

I'd seriously miss Deavid Soul though.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »
My realistic takes:
- Propeller Arena.
What? That game wasn't even released back then. How is that realistic? lol

Agree with you on the rest.
SEG4GES

Offline SOUP

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 12:52:28 pm »
Yes, published by Sega. I meant it wasn't produced by Sega, but by a French team called No Cliché. My apologies.

Gotcha. I guess that could cause some issues with the Visual Concepts games too.

Offline Orta

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 01:09:09 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
My realistic takes:
- Propeller Arena.

How is it not? The game was completed and ready to ship when it was cancelled because of 9/11. That was a long time ago.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 01:14:25 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
My realistic takes:
- Propeller Arena.

How is it not? The game was completed and ready to ship when it was cancelled because of 9/11. That was a long time ago.

From what I've heard from an ex-Sega employee in Japan, he said that was just an excuse. The real factor that forced Sega to cancel this game, was the fact that nobody was able to find the opponents on the battle arena playing online, because it was too much large and had horrible playability.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 02:07:36 pm »
Great single-player campaign though.
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 02:52:59 pm »
Really? Oh wow... I enjoyed the game myself.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 03:17:13 pm »
Really? Oh wow... I enjoyed the game myself.
I think he was referring to the online gameplay alone..
Were you Storm?
SEG4GES

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 10:29:56 am »
The Dreamcast games Compilation has only, i mean, only 4 games.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1144039p1.html

Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, SEGA Bass Fishing and Space Channel 5: Part 2

They could make a memorable launch. Something like the "Neo Geo Online Collection" for the Playstation 2.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 10:45:18 am »
I added the package art to the main page post, here it is below:

SEGA Press also released new screens, though nothing too new (I mean, we know what the games look like already).

Looking forward to SC5 Part 2, that'll be the highlight of the release.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:10 am »
Oh yeah, and I want to freakin' slap those who request Power Stone for the Dreamcast rereleases upside the head. It's a Capcom game, NOT a SEGA game. I want Power Stone on XBLA/PSN, but I'm not gonna spam SEGA's facebook page about it. Better to ask Capcom. :P

Offline SOUP

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:47 am »
They've got both Power Stone games in a package on PSP if you're interested.

With only these four games in the collection, (and considering that I've got them all on Dreamcast, plus Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi on Gamecube, and SP5: Part 2 on PS2), I don't really see a whole lot of reason for me personally to buy this game.

I'm still downloading Space Channel 5: Part 2 though. I love that game, and would love to get some trophies for it.