Author Topic: Shinobi 3DS - SEGA/Gryptonite Games  (Read 46013 times)

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
Re: Gryptonite Games making Shinobi 3DS?
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2011, 07:17:23 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Quote from: "Centrale"
I'm hoping it'll be part of an overall revival of the series with installments on other systems.

Please god yes!

That would be fantastic! *crosses fingers*
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:17 pm »
Realistically though, they're using this game to gauge interest in the franchise.  I wouldn't count on a major home console release unless this does fantastically.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:48 pm »
Well, as of now it's got the ninja niche all to itself, so it's got a good shot of making a big impact.  Wonder if there's any chance Yuzo Koshiro might provide the music...?

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 02:02:07 am »
Really? The artstyle looks like its out of KungFu Panda movie or some comic, its evident in the design of the horses in how big/comical they are, not to mention the stereotypical "Eastern" building design (looks more like Chinese than Japanese)...overall I'm not like the style, and the gameplay sounds like its more of a hack'n'slash with juggling, which is not I want from a Shinobi game (2D nonetheless).

But its good that you guys like it... It's not for me.  :cry:

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 04:17:33 am »
Like with Sonic Generations, the 3DS can do better graphics than this and it looks like they first made the game for DS.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 04:22:45 am »
Quote from: "Pao"
Really? The artstyle looks like its out of KungFu Panda movie or some comic, its evident in the design of the horses in how big/comical they are, not to mention the stereotypical "Eastern" building design (looks more like Chinese than Japanese)...overall I'm not like the style, and the gameplay sounds like its more of a hack'n'slash with juggling, which is not I want from a Shinobi game (2D nonetheless).

How is the artstyle like 'Kung Fu Panda'?

I have never seen the movie, but I thought it involved talking animals...

I'm not saying this game is going to be amazing, just saying i'm excited to see more before I call it crap. All we have had is 3 screenshots and you already decided not to buy it.

This is what happen to Vanquish.

Offline Pao

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 04:52:02 am »
Quote from: "George"

How is the artstyle like 'Kung Fu Panda'?

I have never seen the movie, but I thought it involved talking animals...

I'm not saying this game is going to be amazing, just saying i'm excited to see more before I call it crap. All we have had is 3 screenshots and you already decided not to buy it.

This is what happen to Vanquish.
I was talking about the overall feel of the style that its very western-cartoonish, not about talking animals.

I did not decide not to buy it based on the 3 screens, the info in the magazine is what turned me off most.
I was surprised to see some of the people here get excited when they were talking about how Shinobi should be run'n'gun platforming instead of action/melee few pages back... Because the 3DS game sounds like a heavy juggle based hack'n'slash, totally opposite of what they liked and what Shinobi is all about.

Vanquish was a different case by the way, the first trailer was a CGI done by another company with zero information about the gameplay.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:52 am »
you are not alone here Pao : P

i am also not pleased with what i saw in term of visuals and art style.
but we shall see if it's at least can capture the gameplay style perfectly.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 06:02:52 am »
Hmmmmmm

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 06:04:44 am »
This game's art style is more EASTERN than the original titles. Its basically anime-ish. Yes, the original titles did not have much of a "Eastern" look to them. They had Godzilla and god damn Spiderman in them for crying out loud.

The only thing that concerns me is the juggling portion. I was one of the few that didn't appose the idea of some sort of combo system, as long as it wasn't overall complicated.

Also I would like to see some screens from Kung Fu Panda that looks like this game. Note: I have not seen the movie, but I hear its Eastern influenced animation. No?

Also about the Chinese buildings. So what? The old games had American levels... I think we are picking at straws now.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 06:07:30 am »
Thanks for reminding me George, the one thing I want in this more than anything is thinly disguised copyright infringement for boss fights.

Offline Pao

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 06:50:50 am »
Quote from: "George"
This game's art style is more EASTERN than the original titles. Its basically anime-ish. Yes, the original titles did not have much of a "Eastern" look to them. They had Godzilla and god damn Spiderman in them for crying out loud.

The only thing that concerns me is the juggling portion. I was one of the few that didn't appose the idea of some sort of combo system, as long as it wasn't overall complicated.

Also I would like to see some screens from Kung Fu Panda that looks like this game. Note: I have not seen the movie, but I hear its Eastern influenced animation. No?

Also about the Chinese buildings. So what? The old games had American levels... I think we are picking at straws now.

Completely misunderstood my point.

I wasn't talking about the locations when I say it has a western look, I'm talking about the style. The game could be set entirely in Eastern locations and the style wouldn't be anymore "Japanese".

Please tell me I'm not the only one who see how cartoonish the horses are and how much of depart it looks from the original games style? I would have instantly recognized 3DS version as western developed from the art direction alone.

As for Kung Fu Panda, I didn't watch it either, I just played the demo from its game. and I was just using it as an example of western portrayal of Eastern themes similar to the scans.

And how the hell does the scans look "Anime-ish" to you?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 06:56:24 am »
Don't worry Pao, I understand what you mean.

Offline Pao

« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 07:03:57 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Don't worry Pao, I understand what you mean.
Thanks...
The problem is that examples of what I mean by the "Westerb Cartoonish" art style eludes me at the moment, so I really can't explain myself well.

I'll just say that no matter what kind of artstyle it has, it still turns me off because of the gameplay details we've read.

If you like it then more power to you!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2011, 07:32:55 am »
I was surprised to see some of the people here get excited when they were talking about how Shinobi should be run'n'gun platforming instead of action/melee few pages back... Because the 3DS game sounds like a heavy juggle based hack'n'slash, totally opposite of what they liked and what Shinobi is all about.

When was the last the first level consisted of falling buildings, horse riding, log jumping and then going into a snow cave to battle a witch? Bygone era, that's what it is. Battling a cyborg shark too, yeap sounds like something Joe would get himself involved in.

As I said in my actual post, I need to see the gameplay before I can attack that, or else Sanus would have had very reasonable arguments against Bayonetta. The fact I can attack with shurikens again is reason enough to rejoice, not completely happy with close combat but I do not even know what close combat it is.

As for the art style, I see nothing wrong with it, you cannot expect a series that will soon be three decades old to hold a consistent art style. At least it's better than the Playstation 2 Shinobi art, at least for me. Finally, how are the horses cartoony?