Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 and many more...  (Read 36485 times)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Bayonetta 2 and many more...
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 08:02:36 am »
I don't really get why they don't take advantage of all those great IPs when everyone else is sequelizing the crap out of everything, and making tons of money in the process.
In the meantime, they're releasing crappy licensed titles to boost revenue.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:04:59 am by SOUP »

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 08:16:02 am »
I still call it a bit old-fashioned thinking. Alot of Japanese Companies (or in General) have embraced alot of IP's that weren't the most finacially successfull, but were still loved by a cult-following, and gained attention over the Years due that following, and made a game based on that for those people.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 08:59:12 am »
This explains everthing.

It really explains nothing, Storm is just posting the same kind of rumours like Nagoshi wanting to leave, so I would not trust a word of it. Nagoshi (And his team) always references loads of SEGA titles in the Yakuza series and they can range from Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead or Phantasy Star.

And the fact is, SEGA Japan were the ones who wanted SEGA America/Europe make certain titles, like Shinobi, for the Western markets and Westernize the titles. I'd also like to point out most of SEGA's classic titles did not do as well as most people seem to think they did.

I don't really get why they don't take advantage of all those great IPs when everyone else is sequelizing the crap out of everything, and making tons of money in the process.
In the meantime, they're releasing crappy licensed titles to boost revenue.

If this rumour is true and I for one second do not believe it is, then I do not know how you can blame SEGA Japan for crappy licensed titles as it would imply that they allow SEGA Europe/America the freedom to purchase those licenses. And SEGA of Japan have released quality licensed titles too.

And besides, the majority of SEGA's up and coming lineup are major sequels to their biggest franchises.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:04:07 am by Aki-at »

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:36 am »
Nagoshi (And his team) always references loads of SEGA titles in the Yakuza series and they can range from Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead or Phantasy Star.

It's not a whole lot tough. Platinum's games have more references than Sega's own games.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:19:14 am by Trippled »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30:34 am »
It's not a whole lot tough. Platinum's games have more references than Sega's own games.

Yakuza 4 alone had Border Break, Virtua Fighter, Outrun, Sonic, Monkey Ball, Sonic Rush Adventure, Phantasy Star Universe and Shining Force Cross and those are just off the top of my head... Only Bayonetta had SEGA references and that was Sonic, Hang-On, Afterburner and Space Harrier. Yakuza has double.

Other SEGA teams have references to other titles, like Valkyria Chronicles, Rise of Nightmare etc the only reason Bayonetta had so many references is because Kamiya was a big SEGA fan in his youth. But that was not my point, if Nagoshi disliked a bunch of SEGA teams/IPs, he would not allow any references to them in his series that he has control over, but he does.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 05:44:42 am »
Yakuza 4 alone had Border Break, Virtua Fighter, Outrun, Sonic, Monkey Ball, Sonic Rush Adventure, Phantasy Star Universe and Shining Force Cross and those are just off the top of my head... Only Bayonetta had SEGA references and that was Sonic, Hang-On, Afterburner and Space Harrier. Yakuza has double.

Other SEGA teams have references to other titles, like Valkyria Chronicles, Rise of Nightmare etc the only reason Bayonetta had so many references is because Kamiya was a big SEGA fan in his youth. But that was not my point, if Nagoshi disliked a bunch of SEGA teams/IPs, he would not allow any references to them in his series that he has control over, but he does.

True, but Sega referencing their own games isn't a common thing like it is now. Usually a sega cameo or reference would always be down to whether the team that was behind whatever sega game usually being involved with the game that they reference. That's the reason why you had JET SET RADIO reference in the first YAKUZA because the team behind the game was from Smilebit or the reason why SOA characters appeared in VALKYRIA CHRONICLES because they were both made by the same team. Nowadays its seems they can reference any game whether or not they were involved in the game they referenced. Before it was only Sonic that took the majority of references from games made by teams outside Sonic team.

I still call it a bit old-fashioned thinking. Alot of Japanese Companies (or in General) have embraced alot of IP's that weren't the most finacially successfull, but were still loved by a cult-following, and gained attention over the Years due that following, and made a game based on that for those people.
Is it? A lot of games don't get made due to political reasons within the company. Notice that most of the DC games have not had sequels outside the system probably because the DC was considered an abject failure despite it having great games. And the games that did manage to get sequels outside the DC also flopped.
The saturn brand of games are more likely to get sequels ahead of the DC brand of games, which they do in japan at least.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 07:16:59 am »
 Shut up Mr. Aki!  >:(  This rumor is true ;p  Sega's President is also the man behind these changes. I have told it before that he is not allowing any expensive projects which would not have 100% profits guarantee.

That's why Virtua Fighter 5 is coming as a download title. Yeah, I hate that thing! One of the greatest Sega IP coming on this shame format when Bandai Namco is releasing a lot of Tekken on "solid" format. Argh!!! Die NAMCO!! >_<

Sonic is not a reference on Bayonetta. Kamiya told he don't know Sonic too much, but if the users like that, it's OK for him. But "Eggman" and the halos were a mere coincidence. He knows Alex Kidd much more than Sonic.

Others Sega references on Bayonetta are: Zillion, all Sega hardwares, Fantasy Zone, Virtua Fighter, After Burner, Hang On... etc...

Whatever, this thing has nothing to do with this topic ;p

Now some extra-official info! I don't know if someone has posted it here already, but Virtua Fighter 5 FS is the 6th downloadable project title from that team, but... Sega has not yet revealed which one is the 5th one.

Sega's owner also said last week that they are pretending on buy or join some big "social games company". Sega already does games on Deena, Mobage, Gree, etc... but they are going to make a big step on this segment (that I hate too much!).

Ah! Phantasy Star Eternal Hunters was a big flop and will be closed very soon! HAHAHA! Hell yeah!! Phantasy Star is not my favorite series anymore ;p

Now my SEGA TOP 3 are:

- Virtua Fighter series
- Sonic series
- Phantasy Star series

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 09:20:53 am »
Usually a sega cameo or reference would always be down to whether the team that was behind whatever sega game usually being involved with the game that they reference

Spot on , Though there were games like Segagaga and Shenmue that had various SEGA cameo's for various different SEGA IP made by different Teams

It really explains nothing, Storm is just posting the same kind of rumours like Nagoshi wanting to leave,

Yeah :). Too much reading of what certain Japanese editors have to say
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 01:16:48 pm »
I've plaeyd bayonetta but I never knew about all those many sega references. Some were obvious like the space harrier and hang on references, but others were really subtle it seems

Here an article I found  after reading this thread called 30 'hidden' references in Bayonetta. Pretty cool

Offline ROJM

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2011, 05:02:23 am »
Spot on , Though there were games like Segagaga and Shenmue that had various SEGA cameo's for various different SEGA IP made by different Teams

That's when it started to shift and which is why i never count Sonic as a bonifide cameo down to the fact that he was and still is the company mascot, so he would have appeared on lots of games if they wanted to use him. SEGAGAGA and SHENMUE started to do the multiple reference where before up to that point you usually had just one. Nowadays you can't have a sega game without having several references within them,which is fine by me but i'd like to see a bonifide sega crossover title using a wide selection of characters from various sega first, second and western teams.

Shut up Mr. Aki!  >:(  This rumor is true ;p  Sega's President is also the man behind these changes. I have told it before that he is not allowing any expensive projects which would not have 100% profits guarantee.

That's why Virtua Fighter 5 is coming as a download title. Yeah, I hate that thing! One of the greatest Sega IP coming on this shame format when Bandai Namco is releasing a lot of Tekken on "solid" format. Argh!!! Die NAMCO!! >_<

Sonic is not a reference on Bayonetta. Kamiya told he don't know Sonic too much, but if the users like that, it's OK for him. But "Eggman" and the halos were a mere coincidence. He knows Alex Kidd much more than Sonic.

Cmon Storm, i think it was more than a coincidence with the sonic reference, Kamiya loves to wind people up.And VF5 on download makes economic sense even though i'd perfer hardcopy.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2011, 09:16:44 am »
 Maybe yes, maybe not. Kamiya said it was not proposital. On other hands, I think it was proposital, but Sega told him to not tell people about it. You know, Kamiya was not the only one person giving ideas to the game. Probably some designer wanted to make halos like Sonic rings, etc...

It's the same case with Zillion; everybody knows it is there, but nobody comments about it. Especially Sega! They NEVER comments about Zillion and don't allow people to do that there.

I'm fine with VF5, but again, pissed off about Tekken winning over my favorite series. -__-;

Offline ROJM

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2011, 06:08:22 am »
Maybe yes, maybe not. Kamiya said it was not proposital. On other hands, I think it was proposital, but Sega told him to not tell people about it. You know, Kamiya was not the only one person giving ideas to the game. Probably some designer wanted to make halos like Sonic rings, etc...

It's the same case with Zillion; everybody knows it is there, but nobody comments about it. Especially Sega! They NEVER comments about Zillion and don't allow people to do that there.

I'm fine with VF5, but again, pissed off about Tekken winning over my favorite series. -__-;
well Sega hardly officially comments on cameos and references that are in their games,i don't think any company does, as for ZILLION, well that technically belongs to Tatsunoko so that's probably a legal thing if they went out and said that its in the game when they probably didn't get permission to use it and could get done for it.