Author Topic: Virtua Fighter 5 FS: Game of the Year, EVERY YEAR  (Read 33755 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Virtua Fighter 5 FS: If you don't buy this you hate Sega.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 12:29:30 pm »
I think even Arcade afficionados would appreciate a home version of the game for training, use in tournaments etc. But yes, it does lack the flash and mainstream appeal of games like Tekken and DOA.

(sigh) there was a time when arcade aficionados and consumer gamers were two different breeds. It blurred and combined during the latter 8-bit to 16 bit era IE the Sega/Nintendo dominance of the games industry due to children playing arcade games and ending up owning consoles but now its back to where it was originally for a variety of reasons. No arcade gamer worth a salt would ever own a console system to train for VF. it just wouldn't happen. If you said they got it to challenge other VF fighters from japan online maybe (but the fact VF5 for xbox sold abysmally indicates that didn't really happen either especially considering howmany people play VF in the arcades.) but the reality is most hardcore arcade gamers are usually just interested in one type and that game only and the reason they play arcade games (i'm mostly talking about people in the 30s onwards here) is they don't have enough time to play hours upon hours playing the 360 or Ps3.

As for the appeal. VF4 was the flash that sega introduced to the series and it did work. but most of sega's arcade ports don't sell well on non sega systems. The last port that sold well was HOTD 2 AND 3 RETURN. But the others that's been made available hasn't done. I think its true what you said but i also feel this is a general problem for sega arcade ports.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »
(sigh) there was a time when arcade aficionados and consumer gamers were two different breeds. It blurred and combined during the latter 8-bit to 16 bit era IE the Sega/Nintendo dominance of the games industry due to children playing arcade games and ending up owning consoles but now its back to where it was originally for a variety of reasons. No arcade gamer worth a salt would ever own a console system to train for VF. it just wouldn't happen. If you said they got it to challenge other VF fighters from japan online maybe (but the fact VF5 for xbox sold abysmally indicates that didn't really happen either especially considering howmany people play VF in the arcades.) but the reality is most hardcore arcade gamers are usually just interested in one type and that game only and the reason they play arcade games (i'm mostly talking about people in the 30s onwards here) is they don't have enough time to play hours upon hours playing the 360 or Ps3.

As for the appeal. VF4 was the flash that sega introduced to the series and it did work. but most of sega's arcade ports don't sell well on non sega systems. The last port that sold well was HOTD 2 AND 3 RETURN. But the others that's been made available hasn't done. I think its true what you said but i also feel this is a general problem for sega arcade ports.

I disagree entirely, but I'm not going to argue with you.

In any event, It's great to see Sega promoting this game, they've been taking Cabinets to the recent Fighting Game tournaments and holding events in the US for it.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:26 am »
I disagree entirely, but I'm not going to argue with you.

In any event, It's great to see Sega promoting this game, they've been taking Cabinets to the recent Fighting Game tournaments and holding events in the US for it.
Cool but its nothing new Sega been doing that for years for VF.
And it doesn't matter if you agree with me or not ,its a fact which happens to be also backed up by sales data as you pointed out yourself. Not every gamer were little kids sitting at home playing mario or sonic while the babysitter was on the phone. ::)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 03:21:28 pm »
I understand Sega has done this thing a lot in the past in Japan, but I can't think of them doing it in the US recently. Did they do anything like that for VF5 vanilla for example?

And are you trying to insult me? No need to be nasty Joseph.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 06:48:35 am »
I understand Sega has done this thing a lot in the past in Japan, but I can't think of them doing it in the US recently. Did they do anything like that for VF5 vanilla for example?

And are you trying to insult me? No need to be nasty Joseph.
Sega used to do a lot of these tournies under Sega amusements/gameworks, by essentially hosting these events at their centres, not like a launch thing or really official but it was organised by fans which they took part.

2)No i'm not being nasty but i realise it may come across as such. What i will point out that arcades was a place for adults at one point, in the UK when i was a kid you had to be 16/18 to get into one. In the states arcades were probably more part of the attraction parks or whatever as well as the pool halls and the like before they moved towards their own centres and eventually the malls. But usually an arcade gamer is someone that doesn't have the time to go and play console systems or give a crap about them. VF5 has had several revisions since its release. VF5 SHOWDOWN is nearly two years old, so i don't think they'll be rushing to buy this game for a gamesystem. The arcade market and the console market has grown worlds apart since the DC era. And besides were all waiting for the VF anniversary game for next year which i suspect is part of the reason Sega is doing what they're doing with VF SHOWDOWN, the competition and cool champ as well as the DOA cameo.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 06:14:02 pm »
Now I get what you are saying, I read your last post different to your intent it seems. I know what you mean now, but I would still think that people actively playing VF in the arcades would like to have a home version to play. Not necesarily for online play, but they could use training mode to practice or to play offline against other friends. This is based purely on anecdotal evidence from forums etc where a lot of arcade fans still look forward to console releases of their favourite fighters (SF4, VF5, KOF etc).

And yes, hopefully they have something nice planned for the anniversary next year, something Fighters Megamix-esque would be amazing.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »
I'd love to see an anniversary box at the level of the Generations box (sorry to bring Sonic into this).

Blocky VF1 statue of Akira, soundtrack CD, art book with the VF2 portrait series pics included, documentary DVD and some game to go with it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 10:14:35 pm »
I'd love to see an anniversary box at the level of the Generations box (sorry to bring Sonic into this).

Blocky VF1 statue of Akira, soundtrack CD, art book with the VF2 portrait series pics included, documentary DVD and some game to go with it.

I'll take a dozen, thanks.

Offline Psycho Echidna

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 03:18:58 am »
I would be satisfied with something sober like virtual on force anniversary box.

I think vf should remain classy and not flashy as sonic generations box.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:31:12 am »
Virtua Fighter anniversary gashapon would be awesome. I could see each character represented, and every game represented. So Akira is blocky VF1, Jacky is his VF2 model, Dural is VF5, etc.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:32 am »
Its more likely to be a brand new game guys than an anniversary pack. Arcade game at least...

@MM. People who play VF on a regular basis won't need to buy the system to train.
And you're right there are arcade fans who will go and get the game but they're not the type of arcade fan that dominates that scene. You have the top end middle to sixty old people who are collectors and dealers, intrested in buying the games for the tech,nostalgia etc. Then you have and then the arcade gamers who essentially are part of the generation we are part of when we were buying games at a time when game consoles and arcades were very close together. And then there is the  hardcore/drifters who basically live at the arcades and they're the ones who dominate the scene. And their behaviour hasn't changed much, you will see them after 5 late at night playing the traditional genres of the arcade games mainly beat em ups to shoot em ups. Ther rest would be the casual crowd who come in to play dance games and whatever. Japan is a real eye opener for attitudes towards consoles as you quickly realise that some of the people you talk to in a place like Club sega for example has either never played a game system or don't really use it much.
It will be intrested if and i will add if (the rumour is true) when BB appears as one of Sega's early or launch game(s) for Wii U and how many BB fans will be tempted to buy the title and the system. Unfortunatly it doesn't seem many arcade fans of a particular Sega arcade title are willing to cross that divide, which i'm sure you will agree Sega needs to address.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 02:52:42 am »
Some footage of VF5:FS from Final Round

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb4wy4DVYSs[/youtube]

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 05:55:16 am »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6PIvjWCAqc[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:25:33 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 08:46:40 am »
Maaaan, this year SEGA is taking so much of my money, Binary Domain, Dead Souls, Hell Yea! Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown... Do they want me to go broke?! :(

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 05:54:34 pm »
You gon' get all that costume DLC as well? I'm considering getting this on both ecksbawks and PStripple so we can have some matches too.