Author Topic: So, these rumors about 2 Exclusive PS4 SEGA games.  (Read 31351 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
So, these rumors about 2 Exclusive PS4 SEGA games.
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:29:02 am »
There have been some rumblings from multiple industry insiders about 2 SEGA exclusives for the PS4, these came from different individuals so I'm inclined to believe it for now.

What do you think these exclusives are?

Most likely, the first one will be RGG6, but the other one I'm not sure... Does anybody knows what the Valkriya/Skies team are working on now? I sure hope its a new IP from them.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: So, these rumors about 2 Exclusive PS4 SEGA games.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:57:54 am »
Yeah RGG6 without a doubt. I think beside that hatsune miku like they did with the vita cuz of that game being a system seller, which valkyria chronicles(or any other franchise if i cant think of something now) is not. But having said that, this is pretty great news. Wonder how well SEGA will position itself on the upcoming consoles.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:45:09 am »
It isn't Miku. That franchise has always been a modest budget title at the most that's appeared on systems that dont require too much R+D costs which in turn gives Sega good returns in sales. Its also a multiplatform title, either on the Sony platforms, PSP /vita or 3DS and IOS. The upcoming new game was put on PS3 because its cheap to make that game now for the PS3 where before early in its run it wasn't. The PS4 wont be that cheap to develop for.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 04:41:59 am »
One is Yakuza 6.

The other is a new IP Sony opted for over Sonic exclusivity.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 04:58:06 am »
To be honest regardless on how the exclusives go, i feel this is really the best way for Sega to go in making sure they can build a new big selling franchise. The multiplatform route didn't work for most of the newer Ips that Sega launched compared to the new IPs that are just exclusives. it also helps in the marketing as the console maker is more sure to help advertise the game as they have a stake in making the title becoming succesful. As for Sonic, that title has hardly been a big performer on Sony systems so it could have been a good play by sony or that it was suprising that it happaned in the first place if it did happen. sega may not be smart all the time when it comes to business but they aren't stupid. It made more sense to offer exclusivity to Nintendo since sonic has always sold strongly on nintendo systems than to offer it to sony.

Almost makes you wonder why they didn't go for BAYONETTA 2 if it was ever offered to them since most of the million sales the game accumilated came from the PS3 end.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:01:42 am by ROJM »

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 05:11:46 am »
The other is a new IP Sony opted for over Sonic exclusivity.
Any idea which team?   I just did a quick search and it seems that VC/Skies guys (Specifically, the director and art director) last game was VC3 back in early 2011. They must be working on something right now, no?   

Would it be feasible to think its their new IP? That'd be awesome!

Offline ROJM

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 06:32:54 am »
And repeat what happened the last time they tried to launch a new IP on a Playstation system? Knowing this new regime they would go with someone else and probably someone who has a name. But i do think that they are long overdue in making a console specific game.

Not to mention if Sega does indeed get Atlus that will boost the exclusives number up. Especially since Atlus USA is publishing their own PS4/PC horror game next year.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:39:09 am by ROJM »

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 06:37:35 am »
Spill the beans Aki!!!

Seriously though, unless there's some funding going on, I can only see SEGA giving next gen a one shot after how miserably they performed this gen, generally. I wonder how Yakuza is gonna perform on ps4, also i wonder how much its gonna improve from Y5

Offline ROJM

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:42:17 am »
Spill the beans Aki!!!

Seriously though, unless there's some funding going on, I can only see SEGA giving next gen a one shot after how miserably they performed this gen, generally. I wonder how Yakuza is gonna perform on ps4, also i wonder how much its gonna improve from Y5
Yeah but the titles mentioned are the ones that will be ready for launch year. They wont reveal to the public their overall plans of games for the system for the next five years.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:55 am »
Would it be feasible to think its their new IP? That'd be awesome!

It would not be quite the safest option, but they are willing to take a risk since they have Sony's support much like they did with Yakuza. That's my understanding of it anyway.

I would also like to state this is not the same source that told me all those nice little things I told to you about prior.

Spill the beans Aki!!!

SEGA will be involved in all markets, it would make no sense not to have a product available for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 when both are at the very least going to do 100 million+ sales.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 06:46:45 am »
Seeing as there wasn't much coming out from them in the last couple years anyway. This gen has proven that the installbase doesn't really matter that much, cuz the game could still sell poorly.

SEGA has always been on he launch bandwagons. Sometimes with great games, and sadly mostly with pretty average games. I hope they take this launch more seriously, and possibly strike gold with a great IP, if thats the other exclusive. But I don't know. All I know is that SEGA has been bringing out less big games on the consoles for reasons
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:49:25 am by CrazyTails »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 06:51:32 am »
Seeing as there wasn't much coming out from them in the last couple years anyway. SEGA has always been on he launch bandwagons. Sometimes with great games, and sadly mostly with pretty average games. I hope they take this launch more seriously, and possibly strike gold with a great IP, if thats the other exclusive. But I don't know
Yeah but before Sega Japan had Sega USA and Sega Europe helping them tally up the number of the exclusive IPs during the launch. now that those operations in making game content has been more or less severed its just sega japan. but of course as mentioned before if Atlus ends up being brought by Sega they will have a lot more exclusives for PS4.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 06:56:06 am »
SEGA will be involved in all markets, it would make no sense not to have a product available for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 when both are at the very least going to do 100 million+ sales.

Well it could help. FULL AUTO and CONDEMNED especially didn't do too bad. They both had modest numbers in sales. But instead of passing the buck to sega west like they did before this gen, maybe SOJ should make a new game exclusivily for that platform for its launch year as well.
Sega's next batch of multiplatform games seems designated for the current generation and the 360. Which makes one wonder if its all new games or based on arcade ports.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 06:56:49 am »
That's true. I sometimes forget about how SEGA japan still has great support. We'll see I guess. I am not very good at these kinds of predictions. What I know is that I got a Wii U for SEGA games, and that if PS4 gets something great as well, I might have to put aside some money for when they come out... if they get localized. How big are the chances yakuza gets another chance here in the west?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 07:02:37 am »
Sega japan runs the subsidaries now, they're not semi independent like they use to be. And they wanted YAKUZA to be a strong IP internationally.So if they want it localised the others have no choice but to localise the title. I can't see how that will change, especially since it was one of the key five IP that Sega will focus on that has been mentioned in subsequent stock reports. But of course these things are never etched in stone, it always depends on what the situation is at the time and sega always changes their mind.