Author Topic: What if Segabits ran Segasammy?  (Read 32472 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
What if Segabits ran Segasammy?
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:17:30 am »
There's been various discussions in various topics about the current state of Sega and what happened if they did this or that or released a new system or in one case release a "super" system.

So the question is for this topic how do you think Segabits would do if they ran Sega? Collectively as the staff or any of the members here? What would you implement going forward from this year?

Lets try to be realistic though. Were not living in the nineties where Japanese video companies like Sega can exist by themselves, were living in a era where most of the major players have merged in order to exist. So selling Sammy is not an option ...we just have to look at Capcom to see games alone isn't enough to pour in the revenue enough to really sustain the company that size. Other than that what would you do...

I put up what i would do later..

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: What if Segabits ran Segasammy?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:43 am »
Honestly, we would just argue indefinitely until the money ran out.

Otherwise, if we ran into something stable and got something similar to smooth sailing, I bet we'd probably keep the ship sailing as is and keep to the status quo, except we'd have a Shenmue HD collection released on PC and a new Virtua Fighter 'sometime in the future' along with the torrent of mobile games.

Apart from that Sega just seems to be making sense financially at the moment, even if it doesn't win many fans.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:43:24 am »
I would put select writers and forum members in charge of different IPs and genres, and have them all report to Sharky, George, and Myself. Sharky would oversee the UK, George and I would oversee US, and we'd have to find a person to oversee Japan.

Mademan, I'd put in charge of AM2 - specifically the fighting games
Will is our Miku expert
Aki could oversee localizing imports, with the assistance of Will and the Segalization guys

I think the key things that we could change is:

• Atlus USA manages SEGA of Japan imports - bringing PSO2, Yakuza, Miku, and Atlus titles over in special edition boxes

• SEGA of America, being the digital arm, would step it up with rereleases - bringing us Shenmue HD, Skies of Arcadia HD, and console titles like Valkyria Chronicles to PC. We'd also see a Sonic 3 & Knuckles remastered

• Physical content would be as it is now. Focus on profitable IPs, but give a new or returning IP a chance every now and then.

• More XBLA/PSN releases of arcade classics  - Planet Harriers comes to mind

• More XBLA/PSN revivals of Genesis/Master system era IPs

Basically the return of 2010/2011:
http://segabits.com/blog/2010/12/12/round-table-our-favorite-sega-games-of-2010/
http://segabits.com/blog/2011/12/31/round-table-our-favorite-sega-games-of-2011/

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:51:23 am »
Philosophically, I'd acknowledge that Sega is one international company, and that there is a niche/core of fans that are aware of what is going on in each territory. With the advent of the web, anything that SOJ does is known to fans in the West within a day whether or not Sega announces it. So, I'd embrace that. I'd establish a text-only localization facility that works to bring over titles that have a small but reliable fanbase in the West. And I'd do it in a way that makes fans feel involved. Let's say we budget a localization effort that brings over four titles per year. Three of them could be selected in-house, and the fourth could be selected via a series of polling events. Big titles like Yakuza and PSO2 should not only be localized, but released in sync in the West.

I'd have the website redesigned to be more similar content-wise to the Japanese site as well, with information about Sega's long history, and featured interviews with developers from all eras.

I'd establish a service model for ongoing access to the Sega back catalog, similar to EA's recently announced Netflix-style subscription but with more content spanning the entire console and arcade history, as well as selected recent titles. Charge a reasonable monthly or annual fee and let gamers have access to hundreds of games in a curated collection. Feature special events like weekly high score competitions to shine a spotlight on various older titles. Use some of the income from this subscription service model to fund the ongoing Sega Heritage HD update series.

There's still a market for consumers who would find Sega-branded hardware appealing, so I'd establish a hardware division that manufactures Steam Machines and configurable gaming PCs that have a high margin, perhaps in partnership with an established manufacturer like Dell/Alienware.

Part of the unifying of the company to operate as a whole would include establishing a pipeline to release home versions of arcade titles within a year of their arcade debut. Games like Border Break would be brought home with functionality and player character persistence that can transfer back and forth to the arcade, enhancing arcade revenues rather than undermining them.

I'd shut down all in-house marketing and hire established high-end marketing firms in each region to handle all PR campaigns.

I'd re-establish the uniquely branded internal development team model and place an emphasis on attracting new talent with smaller, more agile teams. New hires who are exceptional should be able to progress to leadership positions on development teams within 8 years.

Lastly, I'd personally take on consulting duties for the continuing series Outrun, Shenmue, and Jet Set Radio.  :D

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
Mademan, I'd put in charge of AM2 - specifically the fighting games

VF on PC, and new Eternal Champions game. I'm going to need a budget of one gorillion dollars.

Actually wait, real idea here: I would make Eternal Champions a digital only release, and make it free to play. You can purchase costumes for all the characters seperately, and each week only four characters of the full roster are available and it rotates week to week.

To avoid it being 'pay to win' and alienating a large market, there is a 'Complete' pack available for the price of a normal retail/digital game that lets you use everyone all the time and comes with all the costumes. Also a pack that allows you to buy all the characters to unlock but no aesthetic changes.

Story mode can be a cheap purchase as well, but it should be ultra cheaply made with still art in a comic book style or something to progress the story.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:08:55 am by MadeManG74 »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:52:31 am »
To add to that Eternal Champions idea, I'd collaborate with a comic book company like DC or Marvel to release a promotional comic book on Free Comic Book day to promote the new game and to introduce people to the characters and world. :3

I'd play up the fact that it is free with slogans like "Free to Fight" or "Free for Eternity".

Offline ROJM

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 11:58:36 am »
Here is what i would do...

Establish a Sega legends contract where people who were involved in Sega's past glory will be given a contract for life and help in the direction of re estabilshing the brand in the west or whenever area it needs to be.

Re organise the western digital divison.

Introduce an app for mobile phone systems that is based on various Sega systems. From Master system to DC. The idea is the app emulates the sega systems to a T.
Reach out to indie developers who are making games for the systems and for a very reasonable fee get them to release games for the DC app ,Sega CD app Megadrive app etc.

But the biggie is this. Get the Sega japan/west divison to start releasing new games for the various apps themselves.even games that was cancelled.

Release more Sega games for the PC in the west
Depending on the title release Sega games on the PC and make them available for the west and not just the PC users in japan.

Someone mentioned this but the netflix thing i would introduce as well but call it Segaflix or a new Sega channel similar to how the WWE does it with the user having a complete access to ALL sega games ever released(obviously not the electro mechanical games)

Redesign Sega.com
Bring all the various sega websites together..Sega arcade and sega.com and as already mentioned bring it in line to Sega japan's website. Also create a type of fan exchange where sega western fans can talk directly to sega japan fans and sometimes the developers as well. Oh yes sack everyone currently at sega.com.

Use Creative Assembly console department as a basis of a new western focus studio to grow out of. Where they will make mostly original IP that is closer to what they make in the west these days instead of stuff that isn't relavant to the western market.

Cut the red tape and make it easier to create a Sega game
Block the red tape that exists in sega now so developers with a particular idea can get a game greenlit easier.

Re estabilish the japanese western co development teams.
Effectivly an idea that a japanese developer has for a game but can't make in Sega, will be brought over to the west and guided by a few japanese staff with the idea the game is made in the west. And vice versa. This way both team/divisons will be more clued up in what style of game they can make for each market.

Gather a strong base of development studios for Second party games
So like Platinum for example approch talented studios for a contract to create a particular game or games that the players can get excited about and re engergise the Sega name.

Identify what game goes on what system
I would look at a game being designed by Sega or their second parties and decide if it should go multi platform or exclusive. This avoids putting any game on any system or a game in a genre where that system has too many games of that genre on there as opposed to a system where it doesn't. This way if the game is really strong it may be easier to estabilsh that game and its potential franchise on one system to the point where you could go multi platform down the line. 

Second chance system
If a game is getting plaudits but didn't make too much money, the game should get another sequel and see if its able to build up its audience

Re estabilsh Sega characters so people can identify Sega other than sonic.
Effectivly make new updates on various Sega characters like TOE JAM AND EARL under a new deal with their creators, ECCO and other such character led games so you can promote the brand further with the younger side of the gaming audience and expand the brand name better.

Re estabilsh Sega with the older gamer...
Basically start making core Sega game again. Be it new original titles or updates of long forgotten series

Expansion of Sega brand in other media.
Start an aggressive focus of launching Sega ip in films or television. Any ip that is estabilshed should get made into a tv show or film depending on the game content. To do this i would basically set up a Sega Studios film company.

Using assets you already have to full effect.
Use the properties that anime studio TMS owns or other companies Sega owns and use them for future game content

Create or re organise a Sega store for the west where fans can purchase ALL merchandise japanese or western relating to Sega and their properties.
Create a Sega con
Create a convention focusing only on Sega for the fans. Call it SEGA CON and use it to bring legendary names from Sega's past or present to talk and interact with the fans. Use it as a place to present various tournaments to various games as well as being the place where people can play some new and older arcade games or console games. Also gradually start annoucing new games being made by Sega at the event.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:08:58 pm by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:26:16 pm »
To add to that Eternal Champions idea, I'd collaborate with a comic book company like DC or Marvel to release a promotional comic book on Free Comic Book day to promote the new game and to introduce people to the characters and world. :3

I'd play up the fact that it is free with slogans like "Free to Fight" or "Free for Eternity".
Yes that would be cool if they had the sense to do that.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
Have Atlus USA handle the localizing of Japan's titles, like Barry said...

Establish an F2P army of games on Steam that not only includes PSO2, but Arcade titles that work in a similar fashion. RTS Card games, MOBA, 3rd person shooters, Action RPG's, they have lots of games like that.

I would definitely partner with a PC manufacturer to make a SEGA branded Steam Machine. SEGA fans want new hardware, Steam has a slew of SEGA titles, SEGA could easily create a Steam Machine that meets the needs of their games and release it with a few free games included. Either give it a sleek new design, or callback to the 90's era of machines.

You know how recent machines like the Ouya or the Moga controller heavily promote the inclusions of Sonic 4 episodes and Sonic CD?
Do the same cross-promotion with PSO2.

You know most suggestions here don't seem that outlandisch, which makes Sega's situation currently all the more aggravating.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:49:29 pm by Trippled »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:30:41 pm »
I would definitely partner with a PC manufacturer to make a SEGA branded Steam Machine. SEGA fans want new hardware, Steam has a slew of SEGA titles, SEGA could easily create a Steam Machine that meets the needs of their games and release it with a few free games included. Either give it a sleek new design, or callback to the 90's era of machines.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:30 pm »
Crack up the backporting of IP's as has been suggested. DOUBLE for Obscure Arcade IP's(Ocean hunter), release them digitally, use sales and potential cash infusions as a gauge of interest in any given IP.

Sell communities instead of just games. Don't just sell a new panzer dragoon, sell the soundtrack, sell an art book, sell T-shirts, backpacks ect....Make the absolute best use of an IP possible within reason. Most companies seem to underestimate the potential demand there is for merchandise.

Add a Subscription Option to PSO2. This needs to be done without otherwise altering the F2P components, everything stays as is, but allow those who formally subscribe to not deal with the already in place F2P limitations.

All Backported games SHOULD have a DRM free option, such as DotEmu(console releases on PC) or GOG(More PC dedicated releases). I grow tired of this trend of slightly updating decade year old games then chaining them behind a software wall(ergo Steamworks, I could care less about achievements and the like, I just want to play the game).

Explore post support longevity. It's inevitable that a game will simply become abandoned even with community support behind it in the console realm. Deals should be explored with private hosting companies about being able to lease or rent servers to players for a low cost after the game is deemed too costly or too old to support. Or at least look into attempting to bake listen server support for consoles.

PC games shouldn't have this issue, as dedicated server software(ala Quake, Unreal ect...) should be provided even if most games these days don't.

That's about all I got.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:37:11 pm »
Basically your asking what would you do for SEGA?

1. Allow SEGA of Europe to make an all in one console that is superior to the Dreamcast ( which SEGA can do ). I say Europe, because they seem to want to bring back Dreamcast. Just make it Region free, and dev-free. No TOS agreements. No Vimeo or X-box live.

3. Have an Wireless division but do not ever make it better then anything released on the official SEGA consoles.

4. Release an Auyo system in China, with only Chinese languages. Why China? Because they do not have the purchasing power for such games. However people from all around the globe can purchase the system but it stays in Chinese. You have to buy a translated account.

5. Make a pre-paid ( highway robbery ) card system. So people can purchase things with the points they have. Meaning differny managed accounts but one system ( as with PSO ).

6. Remove the loud speaker from PSO2 .

7. About Sammy. Make series ( IP, Franchise ) based machines, and release them around the globe.

8. Make machines that interacts with games. Like memory card based.

9. Make new series ( like Bayonetta ) on non-SEGA consoles, but port them later to official SEGA consoles and make them better. Basically hoar out the SEGA name to make some bucks on non-SEGA systems.

10. Include games for previous SEGA systems, including the Dreamcast.

11. Release at least one new game for each original SEGA series. on an official SEGA console or Nintendo-etc. It does not have to be the greatest game.
Seriously SONY and Microsoft are garbage to be honest.

12. Allow free games and free portable gaming for military around the world. Not just the US army. All military personal gets access to free new SEGA games, WHILE IN SERVICE.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:43:22 pm »
Basically your asking what would you do for SEGA?

1. Allow SEGA of Europe to make an all in one console that is superior to the Dreamcast ( which SEGA can do ). I say Europe, because they seem to want to bring back Dreamcast. Just make it Region free, and dev-free. No TOS agreements. No Vimeo or X-box live.

As soon i read this i stopped with the whole post...
Sorry if i offense you but you are thinking with your heart and no with your brain in my opinion.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:37:47 pm »
ROJM and TA would be the CEO's of SEGA West. They would have to collaborate everyday and agree on solutions to make SEGA West successful.

Aki would be the finances person.

Barry would be a newly created position called Fansite Relations.

thats all i can think of at the moment.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 04:44:52 pm »

As soon i read this i stopped with the whole post...
Sorry if i offense you but you are thinking with your heart and no with your brain in my opinion.

You just decide to take your time to insult and slander me because you was probably reading my other post. Wanted to join the band wagon and used this opportunity to verbal abuse me. Eitherway nobody here is logical in charge of SEGA. That is their decision alone to bring a new console along.

I am not talking about making an upgrade. I am talking about a new system all together. No DLC however. Just sell them in stores and save the DLC/Auyugah for China.