Author Topic: What if Segabits ran Segasammy?  (Read 32473 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: What if Segabits ran Segasammy?
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2014, 06:48:54 am »
I stayed on topic and then you go on about this rubbish that SEGA never made any good games on the Saturn and so on .  You're quick enough to ask questions , not so quick to answer them
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2014, 08:48:59 am »
I stayed on topic and then you go on about this rubbish that SEGA never made any good games on the Saturn and so on .  You're quick enough to ask questions , not so quick to answer them

No you haven't. You started going off topic. You want to talk about the saturn and the DC? Fine, CREATE A TOPIC ABOUT IT. NOW STOP GOING OFF TOPIC ON THIS AND OTHER THREADS OR I'M GOING TO MAKE A REAL COMPLAINT. i'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU DERAILING OTHER PEOPLES THREADS AND TURNING IT INTO A FRIGGING FLAME WAR BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR POINT OF VIEW AND THEN YOU KEEP TURNING ONE QUOTE INTO ANOTHER DEBATE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL POINT! stop it or else!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:28 am »
Guys, please stick to the topic at hand: TA and his Girlfriend's latest date.

Did you buy her flowers TA?
@Joe: Do you think flowers or chocolates are the better gift? I'm thinking about getting flowers for my missus, but I worry it's a bit old fashioned.

Serious answers only guys, let's not derail this topic.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:28 am »
No you haven't. You started going off topic

Its quite clear I did and that where I like to have seen some of the old SEGA magic . To which you then hit back with the usual stuff with the Saturn and go on about the DC and Mega Drive and so on

I'm thinking about getting flowers for my missus, but I worry it's a bit old fashioned

My girlfriend likes eyelashes, eye and nail make up if one is to be serious for a sec.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:42 am »
My girlfriend likes eyelashes, eye and nail make up if one is to be serious for a sec.

Thanks for the suggestion, although my girl isn't really into makeup, I don't think those would suit.
She does have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I'm thinking chocolates or some kind of pastry. Macaroons are usually a hit.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2014, 10:34:32 am »

Its quite clear I did and that where I like to have seen some of the old SEGA magic . To which you then hit back with the usual stuff with the Saturn and go on about the DC and Mega Drive and so on

No TA i just said it wasn't big in the west. You are the one who has gone off topic. When you left after a week to think up more things against me the topic magically went back to its subject. Its only when you returned have you started to detrail it again. Anyway i will be writing a lengthy letter to BTN on your behavior since you keep ignoring mine and others requests to stick to the subject at hand.And now were onto girlfriends. Yet again the attention is on you rather than what its supposed to me. So now i will be writing to the mods and ask them to stop the bulkl you keep pulling.
Good day.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2014, 10:47:15 am »
Well if we want to start picking one another's games apart, then let's go.

Sega Rally 2 was hardly rough around the edges like you make out. It had some hiccups, but it was hardly a "troubled port." Popup wasn't uncommon in the arcarde version, so you can’t pin that on a rush job. Frame-rate issues were the only real issue I remember ever having with the game, and that's not exactly a ruining experience. I'm not the only one who thought the game was solid, either. Famitsu gave it a 36/40 (incidentally the same score they handed the Saturn port, and a sight higher than many of the games on your list). IGN gave it a 90.

Out of your broadened list, I don't think anyone would look at Manx TT or Golden Axe the Duel as AAA (in the case of the latter, I don't think it's widely considered even "good"). Virtual Racing was impressive on the MD. On the SS, it was sort of outdated. Sega Touring Cars was forgettable (I literally forgot about it). House of the Dead was a defining game on the Saturn, at least in retrospect - I'd count it. Last Bronx was AAA in Japan, so I'd count it, too, I guess. Very fun game. I wish Sega had doubled down with Last Bronx on the DC, actually.

Virtua Fighter 2 was a better game than tb, but 3 was also 2 years old when it came to the Dreamcast (3 in the west) and that made it seem underwhelming, especially next to Soul Calibur.  Its gameplay was much bigger advancement than 2, and it was a much more ambitious game the whole way through. From 1996 to 1998 every Saturn owner prayed for VF3 to come to their system before going to bed, and that's a fact. Wasn't the same Fighter MegaMix you cite the test ground for VF3's allegedly poor fourth button mechanism? Wasn't MegaMix touted as the first true 3D fighter? VF3 gets a bum rep for being different.

The four sports games you listed were alright, but they pale next to the 2K lineup. I know its apples and oranges with Winter Heat and Decathalete.

Astal was pretty, but was very shallow. It wasn't AAA, even in 1995. If not for the hand-drawn graphics, it would be entirely forgettable.

Clockwork Knight and its sequel, while fun games, were filler - the same, I suppose, you would say of Zombie Revenge and Outtrigger (though in my mind, anything AM2 does is AAA). I don't think people were queuing up for it at the stores, and I don't think people were waiting for their copy of Next to read previews of it.

While I risk losing Virtual On OT for this argument, but I'll point out that a couple of your games weren't brought over thanks to Sega, but because of the tireless folks over at Working Design. With the particular case of MKR, that was most definitely no thanks to Sega. By the time MKR made it over, it was fairly dated.   

On the topic of bringing some of Sega’s better Saturn games over, wasn’t there a bit of a hiccup there with an e3 booth in 1997? Sega damn near chased WD away with a broom. They sold them a booth (Sold!) and then Bernie tried to rescind the deal to keep up the impression the Saturn was dead. They gated them off and kept WD hidden in some corner booth. Sega lost 5 games because of the way they were handled.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:50:31 am by jonboy101 »

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2014, 10:48:26 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, although my girl isn't really into makeup, I don't think those would suit.
She does have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I'm thinking chocolates or some kind of pastry. Macaroons are usually a hit.

Have you considered taking her to a specialty chocolate shop?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2014, 11:01:39 am »
Have you considered taking her to a specialty chocolate shop?
We've been meaning to go to this great French cafe/pastry place for a while, but it's usually closed when she visits my area, or we've made other plans that don't finish until after they close up.

That's where I bought the Macaroons from, which impressed us both so we wanted to go and try out their other stuff.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2014, 11:04:27 am »
We've been meaning to go to this great French cafe/pastry place for a while, but it's usually closed when she visits my area, or we've made other plans that don't finish until after they close up.

That's where I bought the Macaroons from, which impressed us both so we wanted to go and try out their other stuff.

A lot of those french pastry shops will take orders, so that might be something to consider - that way you can be sure. You could double down with a bottle of a nice buttery wine. If you cook, that's always romantic. You can make her something and buy her something.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2014, 11:45:47 am »
Sega Rally 2 was hardly rough around the edges like you make out. It had some hiccups, but it was hardly a "troubled port." Popup wasn't uncommon in the arcarde version, so you can’t pin that on a rush job. Frame-rate issues were the only real issue I remember ever having with the game, and that's not exactly a ruining experience. I'm not the only one who thought the game was solid, either. Famitsu gave it a 36/40 (incidentally the same score they handed the Saturn port, and a sight higher than many of the games on your list). IGN gave it a 90.

Famitsu reviews are bought lets all remember the score they gave Shadow The Hedgehog for starters .
Sega Rally II had a troubled developed from start to finish : After a poor showing at the Toyko game show the code was redone , the game was held back by Windows CE too and then you had frame rate trouble , terrible handling model , physics and dirt particle effects way behind the Saturn version (half the time it looked like the cars were floating around the track) and a million miles away from the Model 3 version . And we can all use reviews when it suits us , what did IGN give Fighting Vipers  II , Dynamite Cop  ?
Out of your broadened list, I don't think anyone would look at Manx TT or Golden Axe the Duel as AAA

Neither would I and hence why I wouldn't really class them as anything more than decent . But then the same goes for the likes of Outrigger or SEGA GT (a game that didn't get rave feedback even from SEGA fans). 

Clockwork Knight and its sequel, while fun games, were filler - the same, I suppose, you would say of Zombie Revenge and Outtrigger (though in my mind, anything AM2 does is AAA). I don't think people were queuing up for it at the stores, and I don't think people were waiting for their copy of Next to read previews of it.

The 1st game was pants really , but the sequel was much better and was a joy to play , but platforming is one area the DC had over the Saturn (and I've always said as much )

And sales aren't the be and end all either : COD and the likes may fly of the shelves but I'll hardly class them as the best FPS money can buy , same for FF 7 - it might have sold millions and got rave reviews, but Saga is a better RPG in every respect .

While I risk losing Virtual On OT for this argument, but I'll point out that a couple of your games weren't brought over thanks to Sega, but because of the tireless folks over at Working Design

Well you see on that score one could always point out that for the Pal gamer Virtual ON II was never brought to the DC , neither was the likes of Getbass II , Rez was never brought to the DC for the USA or there the fact that for the west we need to thank Acclaime for F355 on the DC or the fact that Space Channel 5 Part II never came to the west on the DC at all  . I think its better just to stick to the games that SOJ that people were able to play in the west in one shape or another

The four sports games you listed were alright, but they pale next to the 2K lineup

NBA action 98 was ace on the Saturn, the Saturn versions of Baseball so much better than the lame DC version and football was one area the DC was shit at at least on the Saturn we had great football games not least from SEGA In-House , 2K Ice Hockey wasn't as good as All Stars 98 on the Saturn either (note that both weren't In-House titles anyway). NFL was mighty on the DC granted and must rank as one of the best sports ever games ever made  and where you just can't coach that

Sega damn near chased WD away with a broom. They sold them a booth (Sold!) and then Bernie tried to rescind the deal to keep up the impression the Saturn was dead

Bernie refused to pay for WD both when SEGA America always used to prior to Bernie taking over . After a phone call to SOJ from WD Bernie was ordered to pay for the both, but the damage was already done .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2014, 11:49:37 am »
Stick to the fucking topic for gods sake. This has NOTHING to do with the topic or the subject. Stop derailing the thread.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2014, 12:07:42 pm »
My fault.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:00 pm »
My fault.

Its directed at TA more than you. I don't blame you for replying to him so it isn't any fault of yours.