Author Topic: Final fiscal year report for Sega Sammy  (Read 4017 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Final fiscal year report for Sega Sammy
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »
From AndriaSang:
 First full details on earnings. No specific mention of profit, but since there's no mention of losses.
Sega Sammy Holdings shared today its annual earnings report for the year ended March 31, 2010. As a whole, the company saw a 10.4% drop in sales to ¥384,679 million but a 399% increase in operating income to ¥36,712 million.

Filtering out all the pachinko, and you come to the core "Sega" gaming businesses, which are divided into consumer business and amusement machine business.

In its consumer business, the company saw a 7.5% drop in sales to ¥121,838 million yen. This was accompanied by a return to profitability. The division made ¥6,332 million this year. Last year, it posted a loss of ¥941 million. The year before that, it lost ¥5,989 million.

The increased earnings came despite lower overall game sales. Sega sold 26.75 million pieces of software, down from last year's 29.47 million and even the 26.99 million of the year before that.

Now the best selling titles:
   * Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii, DS): 6.53 million
    * Aliens vs. Predator (PS3, X360, PC): 1.69 million
    * Bayonetta (PS3, X360): 1.35 million
    * Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing (PS3, X360, Wii, DS): 1.07 million
    * Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP): 600,000
    * Yakuza 4 (PS3): 560,000
Mario&Sonic: Wow.
Bayonetta: Not bad.
AvP: The biggest surprise of the year for such a below-the-radar release.
Sonic & Sega: For a multi-platform release those are not good numbers.

Then the full numbers by specific market:
Europe accounted for 12.38 million units software sold. North America sold 10.55 million and Japan and other parts of the world made up 3.82 million.

Now what to make of these numbers? Either Europe's not doing that great or what critics say about Sega's marketing presence in the US is not accurate.
There's barely 3 million units apart, I listened to Shane on IW go on and on, about how Sega does poor marketing and then one of the guys goes out of his way to say that they have a stronger foothold in Europe, I honestly see that Sega isn't doing bad at all in the US. It just feels that Europe in more competent in marketing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Final fiscal year report for Sega Sammy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:58:24 pm »
SEGA Sammy did announce profits, it was about $220 million, $68 million of that coming from their console and PC games.

I will be going more indepth when I break down the full report later on.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:52:37 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
SEGA Sammy did announce profits, it was about $220 million, $68 million of that coming from their console and PC games.

I will be going more indepth when I break down the full report later on.

no ,you are missing the point here !
this number the consumer division earned was specified as Operation income not Net income
for example the operation income for Pachinco/Pachislots is about 319 Million $ , so it make no sense to confuse the numbers between both Operation & Net income .

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 07:01:23 pm »
Quote from: "Suzuki Yu"
no ,you are missing the point here !
this number the consumer division earned was specified as Operation income not Net income
for example the operation income for Pachinco/Pachislots is about 319 Million $ , so it make no sense to confuse the numbers between both Operation & Net income .

Well yeah, it does not mean that the income comes solely from there, I just meant to say that the gaming division was in $68 million profits as opposed to attributing to the loss to the company. So it's profits contributes to the profit of the group, as opposed to losing money like they did in the Amusement Centres.

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:06:11 pm »
^^
i know that the numbers are good compared to the last year earning .

i just want to correct what you said
$68 million of that

you can't mix this number with the total of net income number

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:33 pm »

Well of course and I did not mean to.

Also concluding from the previous report, Bayonetta has shipped a further 250,000 copies and M&S2 did just under a million more shipped.

Also some funny dealings going on at SEGA Toys... !

Offline ROJM_old

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 03:17:20 am »
Quote from: "Aki-at"

Well of course and I did not mean to.

Also concluding from the previous report, Bayonetta has shipped a further 250,000 copies and M&S2 did just under a million more shipped.

Also some funny dealings going on at SEGA Toys... !

In other words Bayonetta didn't do well in the west but did exceptionally well in Japan and asian territories. Funny that.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:19:26 am »
That is a total opposite for Platinum Games (I mean, Clover Studios). Not that their games did amazingly well.

Offline ROJM_old

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 03:26:20 am »
Quote from: "George"
That is a total opposite for Platinum Games (I mean, Clover Studios). Not that their games did amazingly well.

Sad isn't it. But it doesn't take a brainiac to find out why it succeeded. Bayonetta had wall to wall advertising in japan. You couldn't miss it. Sega west though only advertised it to the converted and not to the general public.