Author Topic: Sharky's corner of negativity: "SEGA of America f***ing sucks"  (Read 35291 times)

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Re: Sharky's corner of negativity: "SEGA of America f***ing sucks"
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 11:45:17 am »
The funny thing about Simon Jeffery, I thought his plan was solid. I mean, make Marvel movie games? This was announced before the whole big 'Avengers' thing, but I knew the movie franchises where going to be big. He just fucked up when it came to development, using studios that had no talent and not being able to make a marketable product in like 2 years of development time. But if Thor, Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man games where good, I could see them selling like 10+ million considering how popular the characters are and how much consoles they where on.

I agree that the intent was great, but damn did they blow that opportunity. You think they would've learned their lesson after they released those horrible games and then ACM happened.. I'm just glad that Isolation is good which is an indication that they may be learning their lesson with not screwing up licensed games.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2014, 11:45:28 am »
My main problem with SoA has been their focus on being like every one else, thinking they can chase the same sales goals as EA/Activision/Ubisoft by putting out inferior and same-looking games. They used to deliver the goods from SoJ with offbeat, counter culture, and artistically unique concepts that thrived in being or emulating arcade-style kineticism. Since that only seemed to sell on their own platforms, and not well enough to keep them in the hardware business, they jumped into a busy intersection and can't cross the street without being mauled by a monster truck.

Most of their western-developed, 3rd party games now are things that I'd rather watch as a movie than play as a game. I should want to play a game based on the Alien franchise, but nothing SEGA has done with that license stood out as worth throwing money at (Isolation came close). They always seem like they could be ok, but then release at a time when better games or better things to do with my money appear.  IMO, the best thing they published was Spiral Knights, but I wish it weren't online-only and pay-to-actually-see-the-good-stuff.

If the Valkyria Chronicles PC port hadn't happened this year, I'd probably be done with SEGA until another Saturn/Dreamcast port happened. I wouldn't even assume any ports could happen anymore, if not for VC.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2014, 11:57:38 am »
Nah GBX was on a con job from the start..you can't blame SOA for that regardless. GBX went out of their way to deceive Sega of america even when they pt the project on hold and then re started the project.Can't blame SOA for that one entirely..

Sure you can.  Sega is a giant company who should watch their investments closely.  Think about how incompetent you have to even be to be hoodwinked by a business partner on this scale.  The very fact that they can't/haven't taken legal action yet is them basically admitting they don't have a case to stand on.  Fuck man, they even readily COMPENSATED people who sued for false advertising.  Gearbox are crooks but SoA fucked up plain and simple as well. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:02:31 pm by Radrappy »

Offline SuperSonicEX

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2014, 12:07:26 pm »
I understand the frustration, but I will agree that there were positives a long with the negatives.  To SoA's credit, at least they were smart enough to pass on Project Altered Beast.

I think after ACM and Boom, which are clear signs of something wrong in project management, they need to look into their policies/procedures and handling/choosing a developer for a project.  Otherwise SoJ is just going to come down harder and harder on them.

The funny thing about Simon Jeffery, I thought his plan was solid. I mean, make Marvel movie games? This was announced before the whole big 'Avengers' thing, but I knew the movie franchises where going to be big. He just fucked up when it came to development, using studios that had no talent and not being able to make a marketable product in like 2 years of development time. But if Thor, Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man games where good, I could see them selling like 10+ million considering how popular the characters are and how much consoles they where on.

Wasn't the Captain America game better received of the Marvel games (not counting the Thor DS game)? I know Hulk got compared as an unpolished version of Ultimate Destruction.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »

Not to mention the characters and IPs would be enduring enough to support sequels and other games even without movie releases. Look at the Arkham games for example. I could see myself playing a good Thor game this year even though there was no movie release.

Having said that, Thor on DS was quite good.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:32 pm »
Wow, this place has sure changed...

It was regarding the topic title. I don't want people to think that topic titles like "SEGA of America fucking sucks" is okay here, because it is not. Have an opinion and back it up? Sure! And Sharky did, despite the over-the-top venting, which I'm not suppressing.

I just don't want forum members thinking "a mod made a topic titled that, I guess I can make my 'Iizuka is a fucking moron' topic and it will be cool.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2014, 01:40:26 pm »
I just don't want forum members thinking "a mod made a topic titled that, I guess I can make my 'Iizuka is a fucking moron' topic and it will be cool.

Dang, well there goes my next topic idea.. I kid..

Seriously though, i feel like it's sort of our fault(well not us specifically) that we keep getting crap Sonic games like Boom. If people buy the games, then Sega will continue to feel like it's okay to release something as half assed as that game. Want to make a point, don't buy it.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline SuperSonicEX

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2014, 01:55:21 pm »
As big as of a Sonic Fan that I am? I made it clear that I was never really on board with the Boom games, especially after the E3 previews started pouring out.  I never felt the need to pre-order/pick-up the games up at launch...and boy those pre-order bonuses were kind of weak.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2014, 02:06:48 pm »
It was regarding the topic title. I don't want people to think that topic titles like "SEGA of America fucking sucks" is okay here, because it is not. Have an opinion and back it up? Sure! And Sharky did, despite the over-the-top venting, which I'm not suppressing.

Why is it not okay though? And that's what I was referring to as well, there used to be much more abrasive topic titles than this one, and it was part of the charm.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2014, 02:09:05 pm »
Why is it not okay though? And that's what I was referring to as well, there used to be much more abrasive topic titles than this one, and it was part of the charm.

Because a certain level of decor/professionalism needs to be maintained if this website wants to retain a connection to Sega.  An alternative would be to remove that forum sidebar from the front page? 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2014, 02:17:44 pm »
Because a certain level of decor/professionalism needs to be maintained if this website wants to retain a connection to Sega.  An alternative would be to remove that forum sidebar from the front page? 

We have a redesign in the works that should remedy that. But really, it's not a huge deal (speaking to Mademan) I just didn't like such a topic title. Sharky and others can say what they want as long as it doesn't break existing forum rules, but theres that line that is crossed when that level of decor/professionalism Radrappy mentioned is broken.

This topic can continue on, I was just voicing my concern over the topic title and was saying I don't want people to think such topic titles are okay here - mainly the profanity bit.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2014, 03:54:18 pm »

This was the real reason he ended up resigning because the money that Sammy gave to the subsidiaries was a lot and he rewarded it on companies that obviously didn't or weren't able to deliver on time..including Silicon Knights, Gearbox and Edge of Reality

Yep but they did have some bad luck too. Like with Pandemic Studios war game paid for SEGA only for EA to buy the corp. The crucible was going to be a real fab game with some great idea's and plans and some good Producers behind it (Ex system shock developers/producers) but that didn't work out in the end  .

Shitty Sonic spin offs...western interpratationNIGHTS 2 was part of many games SOA was charged to remake for western appeal along with GOLDEN AXE and several others. The result was SONIC RIVALS SUPER MONKEY BALL ADVENTURES and other terrible iterations. Sonic Team took NIGHTS 2 themselves under their usa division..and screwed it up.

No the Sonic spin off all have to go through SEGA Japan . To give one example  SEGA America wanted to remake the GBA/DS Sonic games for the PSP but SEGA Japan and Sonic Team rejected the idea and instead came up with the Rivals concept . NiGHTS II was planed to be a 360 and PS3 game with amazing dream visuals and to use the On-line side for real world weather systems and what not. That was blocked by SOJ for being to costly and SOJ thinking 'NiGHTS' was a child based game and so should be made on the Wii instead .

The localization of that game more than likely confirmed Nagoshi's fears about SOA not getting it..especially when Nagoshi was meant to reveal the game at E3 and not japan as was originally intended. But he didn't like the way the promotional staff was going to promote the game. Once the game got localized with plenty of good strong actors..it was a horrid dubbed mess. Swear words where none had been before and other nonsense..did more damage to YAKUZA's chances in the west

The English dub was a mandate by SONY America and it was nothing SEGA America or Japan could do about it and as for the swearing that is something the Japanese team and Nagoshi-sand wanted to be put in.

No please don't hit back with saying all of the above is rubbish , Back in those days I used to know A senior producer at SEGA and its all true.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secret Level was the perfect example. Wasted 30 million on a studio that didn't last very long. If he had waited he could have gotten Midway when they were up for sale..

Agreed a total waste of money. Should have bought a much better studio.

I've been less than convinced of SoA for years now. It wasn't SOJ that released the Saturn months before it was ready

No but SEGA Japan didn't help matter with no Sonic game planned early in and issues with development kits and tools

Bernie Stolar was a moron. "the Saturn is not our future". That was an idiotic thing to say in public. He was also responsible for some idiotic choices in terms of the list of great games that we didn't see outside of Japan. Working Designs left Sony because of stupid policies he had when there, and when he came to Sega with the same policies, they fled the Saturn, returning to Sony. Everything this guy did was bad

To a point yes , But he did do a lot of good with the Dreamcast and its lauch to be fair .

Next we have Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1... Just in case they hadn’t shit on your childhood with Beast Riders or quite ruined SEGAs overall image enough! Back at it, taking a beloved classic and really royally fucking it. SEGA of Americas idea of honouring a classic is making a game so cheap and shitty it felt like I could have been playing it on New Grounds.... In 2008.Phantasy Star Online 2.... WHERE THE FUCK IS IT?!
Blame SEGA Japan for no PSO II over here and everything SONIC and I mean everything Sonic goes through Sonic Team and SEGA Japan - They're in complete control with what happens with the IP and what gets the go ahead 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:12:30 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2014, 04:01:04 pm »
Someone at neogaf said it best imo
SEGA is like that degenerate gambler, always finds himself in a hole and the moment he lucks out and makes upward progress, he doubles double down on stupidity and ends up in a bigger hole.

The only bright thing i've been seeing is how good they have been on PC lately. The studio they bought have found benefits under SEGA as a PC publisher so far, and I hope they improving in that expertise hopefully we'll have a brighter future with localized games on steam as well after valkyria chronicles.

It is mostly the SEGA of old that I have a connection with. Turning on a mega drive or dreamcast instantly brings me back to why I like them so much, with the occasional gems that came out like valkyria chonicles and some of the yakuza games. But mostly the stuff of today is just a crock of shit full of shit garbage and motherfucking poor shitty attempts. FUCK!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 04:07:51 pm »
But mostly the stuff of today is just a crock of shit full of shit garbage and motherfucking poor shitty attempts. FUCK!

I'm sorry, but we don't use that type of language on this forum, please edit your post or you will be reported.

(Just kidding Barrington, you know I love you  :-* :-* :-* )

Yep but they did have some bad luck too. Like with Pandemic  Studios war game
There was also that time he bet on a sure-fire horse to win, and wagered the entire development budget of Jack Lumber on it. The horse got a cramp and collapsed on the first turn, he lost tens of dollars on that race, which he had to pay back out of his own pocket. Thankfully he was able to mug a pedestrian that same evening and use the contents of his wallet to complete development of Jack Lumber AND pay for the voice acting of NiGHTS: Journey into Dreams.

And before you say all that stuff is rubbish, my uncle works for Nintendo.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2014, 06:05:48 pm »
Sharky, I know you're a mod and all, but can you not make topics with titles like that?

Anyway, retitled the topic as this does appear on the front page as a new topic.

Barry please... When I helped create Segabits, long before you weaseled your way in. Swearing was a non-issue, we swore on the front page, we swore in the podcast. It's just a word. Segabits wasn't trying to be SEGA's little bitch, Playing the bitch is the reason both George and I lift SegaNerds and went our own way in the first place.

Anyway back to my corner of negativity, SEGA of America may have done some good, Relic is a great start but that doesnt negate the fact that almost all of the really big issues over the past decade have been linked to SoA to some degree. SURE we can find issues with SoJ and even some with SoE, but it's SoA's level of ridiculous decisions that damages SEGA's overall image that I'm so wound up about. I hear rumours that the whole Sonic Boom band has cost SEGA over 20 million dollars and I don't know how true it is but it doesn't seem so far fetched and its success hinged on a game they couldn't even bother to ship out without making sure it's not a shit game, let alone bug free... Which it bloody well isn't!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:20:04 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA