Author Topic: TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT  (Read 37131 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 05:39:19 pm »
They should be happy, 3D Out Run is coming to 3DS tomorrow.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 05:53:24 pm »
There's a whole load of reasons why it's not coming to the Wii u - or a Nintendo platform for that matter. Third party usually don't sell well on Nintendo hardware, money on development for Wii u hardware, it's on more then enough platforms,  Game Freak wanted to try something different, the list goes on and on. The real question Nintendo fans should be asking is why didn't Nintendo offer their support? 

If those people want to act like spoilt kids, then they need to grow up.

Back on topic,

I've had an idea. Is there any chance we (as Sega fans) could help push this game? Go out there and spread the word, talk about it on forums, youtube, twitter, facebook, twitch etc and help Sega out a bit more. Be Sega's street team so to speak. I only say this because whenever I go on other sites etc, there never seems to be any buzz around what Sega do. It's like they slip under the radar for most of their products unless it's bad.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:55:36 pm by Tad »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:40 pm »
I'm super into this and am intrigued that the lead developer is seemingly British.  Did anyone play his other game, Harmoknight?

Offline George

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 07:17:11 pm »
If you guys want to be SEGA's street team, tell these idiots to buy Outrun on 3DS tomorrow.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 07:25:01 pm »
I never would have guessed any of this, like jeez. You'd think Nintendo would secure their properties a bit better, but if that were the case I guess we wouldn't have Tembo.

I imagine it'll come out on Wii U after the first launch. Demand and confusion will be too damn high not to.

I would imagine, although not entirely sure, that this game first passed through Nintendo before arriving at SEGA. Nintendo do still have strong controlling stakes in each of their IPs that they don't own 100% and essentially they are tied down on Nintendo platforms but they need the developers (Like Game Freak, Intelligent Systems etc.) on board before they can continue the franchise.

It's worked out well for them and the majority of the cash generated from the IPs have come back to Nintendo, at the same time it helps these third parties have room incase they want to try something Nintendo don't feel the need to support or they feel would be better served with a different publisher, hence Tembo was born.

Don't disagree with the method, SEGA outsource a lot of their stuff too and/or get help in production (MediaVision for example, helped in the development of Valkyria Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed) we just know much more about how they do their dealings then Nintendo. Or maybe it's because I'm a SEGA fan that I do know this actually, haha.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 08:29:07 pm »
It's a very unexpected direction.

The game looks interesting though!
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 10:47:49 pm »
Most of people only remembers Pulseman & Magical Taluluto about SEGA & GameFreak's colaboration.

There are still four games again,
and they are all Pokemon games

..... for SEGA Pico.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 11:57:45 pm »
When I first saw this I thought...

Then I watched the trailer and I have to admit it looks pretty bad ass, haha. Definitely will be supporting Sega and game freak with a purchase.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 12:47:18 am »
As was  mentioned above, I'm very into the idea of pushing this game. It looks really, really good, and I feel like it'll be a bit of an uphill struggle for SEGA/Game Freak with all these Nin fanboys trying to shit talk the game. Perhaps SEGAbits could do our part.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 01:02:16 am »
I think this game will do great. I think most Nintendo fans don't hate the game, but are just salty it isn't coming out on Wii U. I think they will be bitter but in the end of the day they are a very minor percentage of sales lost and their reasoning is insane. I think the biggest impact will be Pokemon streamers. If they support the game with streams, I can see it doing amazing for both companies. I say 'Pokemon streamers' because those games have a large and active online audience.

Offline Berto

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 01:38:23 am »
Many WiiU fans said that the excuse about the poster is really lame. Well, what do they expect, there is no way GameFreak will say the real reason such as :

"Nintendo wants to remove "badass" from the title and change it into "Tembo The Elephant", but we felt that the badass word in the title is one of its main appeal and would make the franchise isn't easy forgetable, that's why we and SEGA went to other platforms."

or

"Nintendo fans don't buy anything that isn't Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon so we and Sega felt this was the best way to reach a large audience for the cost of development. After all PC, X1, and PS4 version could be built with the same engine."

or

"Nintendo wants to change the Elephants into Rambi The Rhino (their franchise from DKC), but there are many elements that had to change for that (the ability of Rambo to stay for a while in the air by tapping the jump buttons and to spray water from his trunk) and we want the franchise to be ours, that's why we went to SEGA."

Haters gonna hate, regardless of the reason.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 02:04:51 am »
I should say, I don't mean just because of the Nintendo fans and I don't just mean this game. I've just noticed how Sega try and push their games through trailers etc, but I rarely see any real discussion on them socially. Word of mouth (or keyboard in this case) play a huge role persuading people to at least check it out.

I remember a few years back a small development team started a kickstarter and a bunch of us decided to do this very thing for that. We don't know how well it went of course, but I'd be surprised if we didn't do some good.

So, here's the objectives. Regardless of what game it is (just released/or soon to be) we at least try and talk about it on some of the following list of social sites:

Reddit
Facebook
Twitter - even a RT from Sega themselves help
Google+
YouTube
TwitchTV
Ustream
Steam community
whatever else I'm forgetting

Forums:
Giantbomb
IGN
Eurogamer
Gametrailers
Gamespot
Polygon
Nintendo sites

And so on...

Another thing that sometimes helps is to bring them up in the off topic section of unreleated to games forums. See if any gamers that are also there are interested.

I must stress, I'm not saying create a load of accounts and spam. I'm simple saying if you have a account with other sites etc, use it to help raise the profile of a game. If a site's forum has a new releases or new announcements thread, simply post said game in there etc.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:08:42 am by Tad »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2015, 06:41:12 am »
So I see that TEMBO has a 'water gage' of some kind under his life bar, I assume, being an elephant he can squirt water or something? But surprisingly this is never shown  in the trailer? I hope it's used for platforming, the one thing I didn't see enough off in the trailer.
Made by SEGA

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2015, 08:36:03 am »
Do you know what happened when they released a digital game in every platform? The Virtual Console mandatory limit in space butchered sonic 4 in episodes and you know what happened later....

Although the eShop is less restrictive than the other, the stigma still kick it and Gamefreak knows it..
I know for a fact that that's not the reason Sonic 4 was split into episodes. And like you said: the eShop isn't as restrictive anymore and if Game Freak was angry about the stigma of Wiiware then they wouldn't have made HarmoKnight for 3DS.

Offline Berto

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 08:24:53 pm »
So I see that TEMBO has a 'water gage' of some kind under his life bar, I assume, being an elephant he can squirt water or something? But surprisingly this is never shown  in the trailer? I hope it's used for platforming, the one thing I didn't see enough off in the trailer.

Yeah, he DOES spray water from his trunks and he also has the ability to stay for a while in the air by tapping the jump buttons.
You can see him do those in the IGN's 6 minute gameplays of Tembo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/11/pokemon-devs-swap-cute-for-carnage-with-new-game

I don't know why they don't include those in the trailer since they do make gameplay more interesting.