Author Topic: What does Sega of Japan consider as their major products?  (Read 17139 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: What does Sega of Japan consider as their major products?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 02:03:11 am »
Eh, games like Skies of Arcadia and Space Channel 5 were low selling titles even back when SEGA was making quality titles.

Their problem has been they don't produce big selling titles on a regular basis and back then one Sonic title could cover the losses of 20 failed titles, now it's more like 5.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 02:09:22 am »
I think you took what I said the wrong way.  I'm not saying they should stop making Alien games; I'm saying that it's because they've lost the trust of consumers altogether that they need to rely on established(licensed) franchises like Alien to make a buck in 2015. 

Well the best selling games on the Genesis were Sonic and licensed games (some of which Sega published)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 04:22:33 am »
Eh, games like Skies of Arcadia and Space Channel 5 were low selling titles even back when SEGA was making quality titles.

Yes, but arguably because they came out on a dying platform with little to no third party support and no advertising buckaroos behind them.  You need a platform with a huge install base, quality, and good advertising to birth a smash hit.  And hey, after a few said hits Sega might just earn themselves a few new fans. 

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2015, 04:52:14 am »
I think you took what I said the wrong way.  I'm not saying they should stop making Alien games; I'm saying that it's because they've lost the trust of consumers altogether that they need to rely on established(licensed) franchises like Alien to make a buck in 2015. 
Personally I think they should focus on making new quality IPs in the vain of Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza series (not like those, but games made by in-house SEGA that are fun to play and hopefully higher quality and more polished).

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2015, 05:52:19 am »
Yes, but arguably because they came out on a dying platform with little to no third party support and no advertising buckaroos behind them.
Dying platform? SC5 was a fucking launch window game. The advertising was at it's peak, Ulala being prominent in every goddamn commercial. Not only that, it was one of the (then) few games you could get for the system.

So yea, people sometimes don't buy good games. Investing in them is not that much of a good idea.
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 06:23:02 am »
Yes, but arguably because they came out on a dying platform with little to no third party support and no advertising buckaroos behind them.  You need a platform with a huge install base, quality, and good advertising to birth a smash hit.  And hey, after a few said hits Sega might just earn themselves a few new fans. 

I was talking about the Gamecube and Playstation 2 versions but I don't disagree about advertisement. However sales of their third party games were absolute disasters.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 07:57:12 am »
Are Sega of Japan titles really 'low quality'? I thought they were just very light release schedules and just being ultra niche/weeaboo (see Miku and Dengeki). Yakuza seems to be the most likely to have mass appeal, and I'm still kind of boggled as to why it can't ever catch on.

I feel like the issue is just releasing more games that people might want to play rather than 'quality' concerns.

On the topic of Sega's games on other consoles, I feel that was a real mess. I remember at the time the thought of having more than one console was absurd to me. I went with the Xbox because of JSRF & Sega GT bundled with it, as well as the prospect that the Shenmue series would be going there. I missed out on all the Gamecube and PS2 releases (including VF4, which I still regret), and not being a big Panzer Dragoon fan, I never got Orta.

It's really quite weird how my buying habits changed when I didn't have a Sega console.
I didn't even know what Otogi was. That's a game I probably would have enjoyed, but a poor demo and no coverage (no Sega magazines anymore) meant I missed most of Xbox's Sega exclusives. I didn't even get OutRun2 until it was in the bargain bin because I felt I wasn't into racing games or arcade racers for some reason (although playing it much more recently it's phenomenal).

I do think it was just a case of having too many games spread out seemingly randomly on different consoles, and without news and reviews showcasing them (like I would have had for Saturn/Dreamcast magazines), I only read about Halo and Splinter Cell (both excellent games, but still).

I'm rambling, I have no idea what I'm talking about and I need my meds.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 09:18:40 am »
I get what you're saying.

Sega should have somehow maintained it's magazine and try to unite it's fans. It feels they tried to spread them out as much as possible.. (LIKE FIGHTING GAMES?? THEN NO ARCADE RACERS FOR YOU)
SEG4GES

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 04:14:13 pm »
Personally I think they should focus on making new quality IPs in the vain of Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza series (not like those, but games made by in-house SEGA that are fun to play and hopefully higher quality and more polished).

My thoughts exactly, they don't have to be franchises, but they can be high quality games in their style/ideas.

Offline George

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 04:30:43 pm »
The following franchise will most likely get attention in the next few years if the announcment last year mean't anything:

- Altered Beast
- Streets of Rage
- Shinobi
- Rise of Nightmares
- Crazy Taxi
- Virtua Fighter
- Golden Axe

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/12/11/sega-planning-development-of-tv-and-film-adaptations-of-video-game-properties/

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 04:43:50 pm »
The following franchise will most likely get attention in the next few years if the announcment last year mean't anything:

- Altered Beast
- Streets of Rage
- Shinobi
- Rise of Nightmares
- Crazy Taxi
- Virtua Fighter
- Golden Axe

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/12/11/sega-planning-development-of-tv-and-film-adaptations-of-video-game-properties/

Still say a live action Golden Axe tv series would be bloody awesome.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:13 am »
Still say a live action Golden Axe tv series would be bloody awesome.

My only concern would be that I imagine these are all going to be low budget affairs rather than Game of Thrones style blockbusters. It would end up more like The Adventures of Hercules. Which might not be a bad thing at all actually...

"Gillius! You accidentally gave that Ogre a love potion you fool!"
*Cue 23 minutes of hijinks*

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2015, 10:40:28 am »
If it did happen, I really hope it's not as bad as GoT. That series is just insufferable glum to the point of there being no point in watching.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:41 am »
If it did happen, I really hope it's not as bad as GoT. That series is just insufferable glum to the point of there being no point in watching.

I've only watched the first 3 seasons, but I thought it was pretty good. The fact that I didn't bother watching it since then says something though.

Offline George

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2015, 04:06:56 pm »
I like Game of Thrones because its not just happy fantasy. I read the books before the show was announced and got really excited then was a bit shocked at how HBO didn't really promote it (before it was out). I guess I can't complain, its one of the best shows on TV.

There are like dime-a-dozen fantasy novels that all have smiles and happy endings.