Author Topic: Sonic Generations Discussion  (Read 104363 times)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Sonic Generations Discussion
« Reply #465 on: June 09, 2011, 07:36:51 pm »
Quote from: "Chaosmaster8753"
Quote from: "Radrappy"
You go into a DW movie expecting bad jokes and decisions of bad taste.

I guess you haven't seen these movies:

Plot twist time.  I work at Dreamworks.  Also these movies you're mentioning came out within the last two years, making my comparison even more valid.  Sonic is improving at a rate that is nearly identical to DW.  And for the record:

Dragons, was a fluke.  That it's as good as it is is a complete miracle.  The film was on track to be terrible, got scrapped in the last year of development and was rebuilt from the ground up with the help of Chris Sanders and Dean Deblois.  

Panda, was as good as it is because of a director they brought in from the outside who is no longer with the studio, leading us to

Panda 2, which is not all that great.  Has some cool moments but is generally full of sloppy ass story telling.

Quote from: "Sharky"
Head on over to most non-Sonic forums and you'll see a lot of people complaining that the City Escape trailer DIDN'T include Escape from the City.

These people all played SA2 and probably have fond memories of it(how else would they even KNOW about it?).  Any normal human being would not find the song very appealing.

Quote from: "Chaosmaster8753"
Radrappy wrote:
But they'd be fools to not include this song in this game, one of the very things that made sonic fans love the level in the first place.

Fixed.

fixed again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #466 on: June 09, 2011, 07:43:18 pm »
I refuse to believe any movie with Jack Black is more than just 'shitty cheesy jokes' .

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #467 on: June 09, 2011, 07:48:16 pm »
Quote from: "George"
I refuse to believe any movie with Jack Black is more than just 'shitty cheesy jokes' .

true dat.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #468 on: June 09, 2011, 08:17:19 pm »
Looks like I was too busy playing games to argue about games on here.

Honestly, I love this recreation of City Escape. I love how it is not really a remake, but a re-imagining with great use of level concepts and colors. I love how the truck has saw blades on it and how classic Sonic uses a skateboard. I loved every section of what I saw from both gameplay styles in there. I cannot wait for the real set of songs from this level, and I actually am really hoping the modern version has lyrics.

Spagonia though... I really do not want that. I mean, I liked it in Unleashed, but I can just play Unleashed. If they REALLY need to use a Sonic Unleashed level, why not make it at night or something instead? At least it would be slightly more unique and they could still reuse the assets. I guess any Sonic Unleashed level would have annoyed me, I mean the only Sonic-like level is probably Eggmanland, and everyone hates it.

Kind of worried that just like Unleashed, Generations will have way too many town or city levels. I mean, stuff like Chemical Plant, Speed Highway and even Carnival Night Zone are all pretty much shoe-ins. I am really hoping they focus on more places in the wilderness and stuff.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #469 on: June 10, 2011, 04:15:46 am »
Maybe they'll have Jungle Joyride(Adabat) as one of the "Modern" stages. That was my favorite level from Sonic Unleashed. It's so much fun! =)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #470 on: June 10, 2011, 04:47:49 am »
Nacho Libre literally has a cheese joke about chips in it.... really?

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #471 on: June 10, 2011, 05:46:08 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Boosting doesn't ruin a damn thing.

Maybe not in your opinion.

SA2: Running full speed into an enemy hurts you, gotta tap A twice to take him out. Spin dashing also works. Generations: Running full non-boost speed into an enemy hurts you, gotta tap A twice to take him out. Boosting also takes the enemy out (hey, just like a spin dash, remember that?). However constant boosting leads to a higher chance of hitting spikes or going into pits if you aren't careful. So really, boost = modern spin dash. Does the same thing. Remember Sonic Adventure 1&2? Tapping the spin dash button allowed you to roll right through enemies and certain objects. Hell, players even spammed it just as they did the boost to make it through stages faster.

I tried running into enemies in unleashed and nothing happens, they stand there looking stupid and I keep running into them while cursing the game. Haven't played Gens, but I do hope they addressed it.

In SA2 when we did the spin attack it effected momentum like it should and the later levels had trickier enemies I played both versions of Unleashed and it was the same pattern boost - force feedback - that's about it. It is autoplay man, I can't stand it.

I don't remember, nor care if people hate the spin dash I like it just like I like the homing ability (Although I completely understand why some people don't like it - but I always say it should be optional would like to unlock optional homing in the classic segments :P)

Your opinion on the truck is just plain stupid. Generations has already shown that we will see old things made new. Old truck rammed into you, new truck has ramming and saw blades. Straight out of Unleashed and Coloers? Try straight out of:

And even if there are similarities between this and Unleashed and Colors, why the hell wouldn't there be similarities? They're from the same series!

Maybe I was just nitpicking there but I really don't like Colors/Unleashed, personal opinion that's all.

Seriously cube, you're just complaining for the sake of complaining. Do you live in bizzaro world? Where good games are bad, bad games are good and M. Night Shyamalan's Last Airbender won eleven academy awards?

The Bizarro references are getting old.

Sure, I might've nit picked a little more then necessary but I genuinely dislike the boosts, just like people genuinely dislike the homing ability it is autoplay there is no challenge aside from jumping, for the most part the directional buttons can be ignored if you are boosting, obviously you got to make a few turns.

I also dislike the Side Scrolling segments in the Modern Gameplay and while they were probably a good nod to the old days in unleashed/colors I don't understand their purpose here.

Okay, so maybe my opinion is just my opinion but I don't have to be from an Alternate Universe, nor do I need to like the god awful Air Bender movie because I prefer the SA - S06 style gameplay over unleashed - gen.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #472 on: June 10, 2011, 08:02:05 am »
Honostly I can relate with what cube says but it doesn't bother me much in this game as the selling point for me is classic sonic gameplay. I think what cube likes is the sonic adventure esque gameplay where there was more emphasis on free exploration and free control.

I agree with him if that's the case because I am not too fond of the unleashed gameplay either. I find it flawed in the sense that it's too straightforward and feels more like a game of reflexes. There's no doubt that it looks spectecular, but gameplay wise it's not really my thing.

It also explains why cube likes sonic 06 the way he does because it also had that kind of gameplay where you didn't feel restricted despite it's flaws.

This game is catering to most fans, but to those who really loved the sonic/shadow gameplay of the adventure era, I can understand that there isn't much to "love" about generations. But yeah it still looks enjoyable though

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #473 on: June 10, 2011, 08:12:41 am »
Ah-ha, cube! But in bizzaro speak you are telling me that the bizzaro references are getting NEW!

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #474 on: June 10, 2011, 08:54:48 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
Honostly I can relate with what cube says but it doesn't bother me much in this game as the selling point for me is classic sonic gameplay. I think what cube likes is the sonic adventure esque gameplay where there was more emphasis on free exploration and free control.

I agree with him if that's the case because I am not too fond of the unleashed gameplay either. I find it flawed in the sense that it's too straightforward and feels more like a game of reflexes. There's no doubt that it looks spectecular, but gameplay wise it's not really my thing.
The Adventure gameplay give the illusion of having free exploration, but the stages themselves are quite straightforward as well, especially in Adventure 2.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #475 on: June 10, 2011, 09:22:34 am »
Quote from: "ezodagrom"
The Adventure gameplay give the illusion of having free exploration, but the stages themselves are quite straightforward as well, especially in Adventure 2.
I don't think it's an illusion, I think it's the level design which defenitly is more apparent in sonic adventure 2, but in sonic adventure 1, there were alot of open environments where you could run around and actually find secrets. In the unleashed gameplay it's mostly straightforward. The controls aren't designed in a way that it encourages you to explore environments to find hidden monitors for instance and the level design builds upon that. Sonic adventure had that from the first stage, emerald coast. Or think about sky deck, that stage was mostly open with alot of branching paths, allthough very glitchy lol.

However I think we agree on that most of sonic adventures level design have been linear. I would love to see them expand upon the sonic adventure gameplay. Think away the flaws like the alternate gameplay, the glitches and add better controls, better and more stages with this time alot of branching paths(those were defenitly missing) and lots of variation.

Honestly just thinking about it gets me excited. I was dissapointed at first for this very reason about sonic generations and  the way it's gameplay was, but I really hope that they won't have to play it safe with unleashed gameplay forever. They probably think it's the concept that was broken, I think it was the execution and flawed choices that gave sonic adventure the reputation it's got today.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #476 on: June 10, 2011, 10:26:46 am »
Quote from: "upsidedown fuji"
Quote from: "Aki-at"
And embarrassing? Most of us are like in our 20s and discussing on an internet forum about a game starring a 3 foot tall blue hedgehog.

Just turned 30. Quit reminding me. shhh :(

I was not trying to be offensive!

[spoiler:3e2690dt]Why are you still on a gaming forum? I kid, I kid![/spoiler:3e2690dt]

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #477 on: June 10, 2011, 10:49:47 am »
I'm curious if Sonic Heroes will be considered for part of the Modern era for Sonic Generations. If it is, I hope to see either Frog Forest or Egg Fleet.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #478 on: June 10, 2011, 11:48:25 am »
I'm pretty sure heroes has been has been arbitrarily cast as a "DC" era game.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #479 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »
Next Page, didn't want to be at the bottom  :|
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:02:02 pm by cube_b3 »