Author Topic: Sonic Generations Discussion  (Read 104370 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: New Sonic Trailer "Sonic Generations"?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »
Quote from: "Chaosmaster8753"
Some of them weren't that bad back then since it was the first of its kind.
Doesn't matter it was the seed that grew the shit tree.

Except this trend started with Sonic 2.
Back when the characters still largely played like Sonic it wasnt a problem. The problem appeared in Sonic Adventure where some characters were far removed from what sonic gameplay is... Big the Cat? E102? Amy?

That's because:
1. It was the first full 3D Sonic game
2. The gameplay was considered mostly good for the standards of the time it was released
3. people weren't traumatized by what came afterwards.
I agree, those are the reasons we largely accepted a game that was full of un-sonic like gameplay and the seed of Sonics destruction.

Unfortunately, we can't do anything about that. And there's nothing really wrong with that, except when they act crazy about it.
What is wrong with it is that Sega for better or for worse DO actually listen to Sonic fans and that is what has got them into trouble.

When it comes to wanting a Sonic Adventure 3, just because something didn't really work that well the first time doesn't mean it can't work at all.
Sonic Colours works much better...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2011, 08:17:45 am »
Sonic Adventure 2 was near perfect. Just triple the Sonic/Shadow levels and make other characters levels optional.
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2011, 08:45:51 am »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Sonic Adventure 2 was near perfect. Just triple the Sonic/Shadow levels and make other characters levels optional.

It wasn't really near perfect...
The level designs in Colours were a thousand times better, the camera wasn't very good, it was full of terrible gameplay. In retrospect there was only a couple of really good levels and the final boss was meh.

The only thing SA2 did BEST so far was the 2 player Vs. mode.
Made by SEGA

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2011, 08:55:44 am »
I don't think SA2 Sonic/Shadow Levels were all that great, they were linear and all about timing and doing "Tricks/Stunts" right. I prefer Adventure 1 which played more like the old games, where each stage was  different in geographical design and gimmicks, in SA2 every stage was essentially "Speed Highway", and the setpieces were more repetetive,and there wasn't really anything to explore. Unleashed was linear and all about fast  too, but was more about avoiding traps hazards etc. then tricks which feels better for a Sonic game IMO, then SA2 way of doing things in a way. Still I agree that 30 stages of Speed levels would make a great game. The Thing that ruined ruined SA2 to me was the Treasure Hunting tough, Eggman/Tails Levels weren't what I call fun, but they were at the least inoffensive. Knuckles and Rouge's levels gave you the bubonic plague. I've had visions of the eternal flames that were more pleasant and less psychologically torturous. I still remember flying around for 60 Minutes in Meteor Herd as a Kid. What a Nightmare. What for alot of fans is the game,with which they became a Sonic Fan,is for me the the first "love/hate" type game I experienced as a Kid. I loved Sonic/Shadow,Chao Gardens and Story, rest annoyed me.

Anyway about Sonic Generations...waiting more info.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:17:29 am by Trippled »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2011, 09:16:45 am »
Welcome to the forum Tripple!

I agree with pretty much everything you said here. I'd say 70% of Sonic Adventure 2 was annoying crap which I really didn't enjoy, most of the game was spent waiting for the 30% that I did enjoy. Even then I think Sonic Colours has out done any speed levels in SA2.

If this new game can take all of the good points of Sonic Colours and improve on it it'll be a great game.

Most of the things I've hated about Sonic games in recent years were finally dealt with in colours.

-Sonic only gameplay
-Just as much platforming as speed, boost meter finally handled well.
-Wonky camera pretty much fixed
-Dr Robotnik was the final boss
-The story was suitably whacky and Dr Robotnik was suitably insane, yet funny.
-Levels were far more whimsical and 'zone' like then the boring real world settings.

Now if only they can get rid of those bloody awful opening lyrical cheesy rock music.
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 09:36:42 am »
If SEGA want to make a succesful 3d game with great stages in the future, they have to study this like madmen

[youtube:29a0lg47]FR86QgC3eiE[/youtube:29a0lg47]

It's got friggin everything. Speed, platforming, puzzle, atmosphere. I like how alternate paths are being implemented nowadays so that would make the stages even more epic.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 09:48:10 am »
My problem with Colors,and pehaps why it's average for some people who play it, is cause all the 2d plattforming was all blocky/generic and junky more akin to Megaman/Mario games, and 3d was weak save for a couple of spots, previous 3d Sonic games where better at times in that regard. And the Level re-usage got a bit tiresome.

And yeah Lost World is amazing,the level layout felt organic similar to 3&K. I still don't know why they decided to base future Sonic games on Emerald Coast/Speed Highway. Perhaps it's Iizuka.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 10:25:13 am »
Lost World was shit. The camera sucked in that snake water thing. Clipping, clipping everywhere.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 10:38:47 am »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Lost World was shit. The camera sucked in that snake water thing. Clipping, clipping everywhere.
Well.. well.. but Yo momma is sooo fat.......!!

Nah seriously

Lost world wasn't polished, that true man. But it is the best 3d stage of all time, just ask kanye west

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 10:59:38 am »
I prefer the style of City Escape

rolling around at the speed of sound, got places to go gotta FOLLOW MY RAINBOW!!
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 12:13:46 pm »
I like the stages in sa2 as well, their just a bit too straight forward as in you literally go forward almost all the time. There's no emphasis on exploration. What I really love about sonic adventure 2 is crazy gadget. That stage is really awesome.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2011, 12:30:31 pm »
Lost World was ambitious but I didn't much enjoy it, as crack dude said the snake was a horrible part, could have been good but you kept clipping over the edge and the poor depth perception of jumping in that game meant often you'd miss the landing.

Whilst I agree that the 3D sections could have been a bit more exciting then just speed sections, i don't think there was anything bad about the 2D sections, they were fantastic.

The Wisp planet is beautifully done, level design, platforming everything and the water planet is just jam packed full of exploration and multiple paths to take.

Just look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbgn1ZLSEio
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
Hmm yeah I agree about lost world but I just like the concept of it. While the implementation and polish may not have been all that great, It shows how 3d stages don't always have to be about running and action but can have good elements of complex platforming and puzzle too.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »
For platforming I enjoyed the snow level on SA1.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2011, 09:02:06 pm »
One thing i'd really hate is if they would make another corny vocalized theme song by some random artist. We allready know crush 40 is involved with this. I really hope it just has something to do with the throwbacks; producing remixes of some sort.

Even if crush40 was better than what they produced for unleashed and colors(ugh), I hope they decide to make an awesome fully instrumental theme track. I am thinking about something very melodic and memeroble.

Kinda like what they used to do in the classics but 10 times better, because they were usually pretty short. I wouldn't mind if they did seperate theme songs for both sonic's. Crush40 for modern and melodic for classic.