Author Topic: Sega would like Sonic to appear in next Super Smash Bros  (Read 5139 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Sega would like Sonic to appear in next Super Smash Bros
« on: June 25, 2013, 12:27:32 pm »

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jun/25/sega-would-have-sonic-hedgehog-return-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-says-its-nintendo/

With the addition of Mega Man in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Wii U / 3DS, many have been discussing the possibilities of other third-party characters joining the fray.

Takashi Iizuka of Sega's Team Sonic recently stated in an interview with NintendoWorldReport that he would like to see Sonic the Hedgehog make an appearance in the new Super Smash Bros. titles but it's "more of a question for Nintendo". This would not be the first time Sonic battled it out with the all-star cast of Nintendo characters as he was playable on the Super Smash Bros. Brawl roster.

Below is what Iizuka had to say on the matter.

NWR: One more question here. Sonic was very popular in Smash Bros. for Wii. Is there any possibility of him making a return appearance in the next Smash Bros.?

TI: All we can say is that we also think it would be awesome if he was in the next Smash Bros. So yea, but that's more of a question for Nintendo than us.

We have also seen other companies come forward lately saying they wouldn't mind having their characters in the upcoming Smash. Last week, Platinum Games said they would be happy to see Bayonetta as playable but much as Sega stated previously, the decision is up to Nintendo.

Would you like to see Sonic the Hedgehog return to the world of Super Smash Bros. in full fighting form? Do you think the Nintendo should add entirely new third-party characters?

Which probably means that he will appear. ::)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Sega would like Sonic to appear in next Super Smash Bros
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:45 pm »
Yeah, I thought it was a given. Though Nintendo did say they are cutting the roster.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:49:38 pm »
^Yeah I Was just gonna say that

http://www.destructoid.com/super-smash-bros-lacks-full-cast-due-to-time-constraints-256923.phtml

It seems Iizuka is very open for the request(if it didn't already happen). Wouldn't be wise if sonic is one of the cutted characters given his fanbase. There were a lot of redundant characters in brawl I gotta say, so if they go with quality over quantity than i'm all up for it.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:45:41 pm »
Yeah Sonic is almost certainly making a return appearance. He's not one of the people getting cut, I'd think Snake is getting cut.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:19 am »
SSMB is basically an advert of games for Nintendo, anyway. The only reason Snake was included was due to that gamecube remake of MGS. Now the new "stars" to celebrate is Sonic, thanks to the exclusive deal and Bayonetta. So they probably will appear as the new guest characters replacing previous ones. if it does pan out this way and the fighter roster is usually made up of nintendo characters who always had that kiddy/family appeal, it makes you wonder why sega can't put their more "mature" characters in an ALLSTAR game.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:06:00 am by ROJM »

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:17:36 am »
SSMB is basically an advert of games for Nintendo, anyway. The only reason Snake was included was due to that gamecube remake of MGS. Now the new "stars" to celebrate is Sonic, thanks to the exclusive deal and Bayonetta. So they probably will appear as the new guest characters replacing previous ones. if it does pan out this way and the fighter roster is usually made up of nintendo characters who always had that kiddy/family appeal, it makes you wonder why sega can't put their more "mature" characters in an ALLSTAR game.

Because fighting to the death with kid friendly characters is more fun than with "mature and serious" characters. That's also how the first Smash Bros game was advertised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg