Author Topic: Sonic Boom Thread  (Read 88096 times)

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Sonic Boom Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »
Sega is not planning to release this game in the japanese market (neither the cartoon series)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/sega_has_no_plans_to_release_sonic_boom_in_japan_sonic_team_will_continue_to_work_on_the_franchise

we'll, they will lose the opportunity to sell 10K units of the game haha

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2014, 05:06:59 pm »
@Barry

Transformers and Ninja Turtles are properties that have managed to stick around for quite some time now, because they are somewhat easy to recycle with every new iteration. Also memorable toons from the 80's will always stick around, because they are marketable.

Sonic, on the other hand, was a product from the 90's and Lord knows anything barely anything from that decade is still around, but even more difficult as I've commented a few times before, there was never any Sonic cannon, no proper theology, he was always an blank slate to whatever Sega wanted to do with it, so discussions as to why Sonic should be X, Y or Z never really made much sense. I hope SEGA can pull a Ninja Turtles with Sonic.

Now this TV show and it's companion video game, I see some potential in here. At first glance, my most primordial fear while unconfirmed still lingers, you see, I never liked Sonic SATAM, nor Underground and to some degree, Sonic X because they weren't completely Sonic-related.

Sonic SATAM: Essentially Princess Sally's b***.
Sonic Underground: Stuck with band singing terrible rock music
Sonic X: Chris Thorndyke, the less said about him, the better.

Sonic Boom seems to be more Sonic-centric, which is a good thing... I hope.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2014, 06:23:50 pm »

I haven't been following this closely, but I thought it was just an opportunity to do something new and fun with the franchise rather than a targeted attack on Western markets specifically. I didn't think it was all that west-pandering, just something different. Which I personally like, having new interpretations that don't meddle with the ongoing franchise is always good IMO.

Nah, SEGA or rather Iizuka, said that this version of Sonic is made specfically for Western audience. Which to me is probably one of the strangest (Or dumbest depending how critical I'm feeling) things I've read. Next up, making Total War even more Western by making everyone lanky and making it a buddy flick.

More importantly I want Andrew York to be a new character in VF6. His family was murdered by the J6 Syndicate and he's got a mad crush on Vanessa Lewis. You can get a costume that makes him look a lot like the Punisher, but not so much that you can get a lawsuit.

Also Vanessa has a costume that makes her look like Storm, but SEGA American can use their ties in showbiz to get Halle Barry as paid $60 DLC and rename the game as Halle Barry and Allstars Fighters Transformed.

The way I see it is they can either bring back sonic to popularity or kill him off even more. Honestly after more analysis it seems like the IP is in good hands.

I had a discussion with someone recently and he told me that the sonic we know just isn't appealing anymore. I think Iizuka is right about sonic while having had benefited a lot of his popularity in the west, the characters seem very Japanese oriented. I wouldn't be surprised most of sonic's popularity back in the days came because of the western tv shows and games. The games benefitted because despite them not being exactly like the shows (like sonic spinball), they were open to interpretation. So after great show + quality games, people were pretty much sold?

I have to disagree with you on a number of things, firstly why do you think the Sonic we know isn't as appealing anymore? I don't really see much evidence to support that and it's more likely the case I outlined, that Sonic has been mediocre too long to expect an explosion return after a few good to decent games.

Secondly what exactly is suppose to be Japanese about Sonic? The series has ALWAYS sold minor numbers in Japan despite SEGA's continued insistent to push the titles over there. Just because Sonic is a Japanese produced IP does not mean it's a very Japanese like title, the same with stuff like say Trigun, which is influenced by American comic books whilst Sonic by American animation.

The final point would make sense if we were talking about Sonic X, which no doubt helped make Sonic Heroes the best selling platformer of it's generation. But Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and SATAM came out AFTER the two most successful Sonic titles of the generation, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Infact sales declined dramatically by the time Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was released, whilst the first two Sonic titles enjoyed sales of 4 million+, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles were both above 2 million in sales. So the theory that the shows helped boost the popularity of the brand is not entirely true.

That being said I would have been confident of Sonic Boom if it was a multiplatform title, however it being stuck on the Wii U will spell doom for the console version, however the handheld version could be quite the seller.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2014, 07:06:18 pm »
I've been saying that the designs make them look more "adventurous", but it seems to clash with the fact that the tv show is supposed to be a comedy. The teaser was action packed, but we've got two episode plots revealed and one involves Eggman failing to get into "Lair Monthly" and taking Sonic to court over it, and another involves Sonic firing Tails as his sidekick and Eggman trying to get his position.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2014, 07:36:16 pm »

Green Hill Zone?

I dunno, I'm psyched for this game, lol.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 07:54:00 pm »

Green Hill Zone?

I dunno, I'm psyched for this game, lol.

Sonic looks so weird in that pic. Probably just the perspective it's in, but yeah. It looks so proportionally off.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:31 pm »
Sonic looks so weird in that pic. Probably just the perspective it's in, but yeah. It looks so proportionally off.

Yeah, that model looks simply horrifying.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »
Well yeah some of the character designs look fairly awful, but I'm eager to play the game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:10:59 pm by Ben »

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 10:26:05 pm »
Looking at that lush scenery makes me wonder what the game's frame rate is gonna be....

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 12:11:48 am »
Looking at that lush scenery makes me wonder what the game's frame rate is gonna be....

30 FPS most likely. Maybe sub 30 FPS at times. Cry Engine has always been known for it's impressive foilage, Crysis 3 basically looks the same way... and Crysis 2.. and Crysis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h3ItDjxLBo

I personally find it a really odd choice of engine to use for a Sonic game, but it is what it is. Western devs love their western engines. At least it's not Unreal 3(i swear that engine gives everything a brown tint)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 12:49:33 am »

I have to disagree with you on a number of things, firstly why do you think the Sonic we know isn't as appealing anymore? I don't really see much evidence to support that and it's more likely the case I outlined, that Sonic has been mediocre too long to expect an explosion return after a few good to decent games.
Hey I wasn't claiming anything. Thought it was an interesting thought shared by a friend.
Secondly what exactly is suppose to be Japanese about Sonic? The series has ALWAYS sold minor numbers in Japan despite SEGA's continued insistent to push the titles over there. Just because Sonic is a Japanese produced IP does not mean it's a very Japanese like title, the same with stuff like say Trigun, which is influenced by American comic books whilst Sonic by American animation.

The final point would make sense if we were talking about Sonic X, which no doubt helped make Sonic Heroes the best selling platformer of it's generation. But Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and SATAM came out AFTER the two most successful Sonic titles of the generation, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Infact sales declined dramatically by the time Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was released, whilst the first two Sonic titles enjoyed sales of 4 million+, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles were both above 2 million in sales. So the theory that the shows helped boost the popularity of the brand is not entirely true.

That being said I would have been confident of Sonic Boom if it was a multiplatform title, however it being stuck on the Wii U will spell doom for the console version, however the handheld version could be quite the seller.
But him being japanese produced is very striking imo Since the day he started talking in sonic adventure. But sales in the west haven't been the issue indeed. Maybe it's an experiment?

Anyway i'm not an expert. Most was just speculation. All in all it's another game I can look forward to this year. Maybe you should get a wii u too now and enjoy the doom and gloom ride with us?:p
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:25:57 am by CrazyT »

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 06:42:56 am »
30 FPS most likely. Maybe sub 30 FPS at times. Cry Engine has always been known for it's impressive foilage, Crysis 3 basically looks the same way... and Crysis 2.. and Crysis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h3ItDjxLBo

I personally find it a really odd choice of engine to use for a Sonic game, but it is what it is. Western devs love their western engines. At least it's not Unreal 3(i swear that engine gives everything a brown tint)
If the game is going to have a similar framerate to Crysis 3 on consoles, then expect it to run below 30fps most of the time. Of course, that really depends on how heavily they use effects and stuff. It doesn't seem like Sonic Boom will be as heavy on the special effects as Crysis 3 is, so hopefully it has a solid 30fps framerate at least. (Of course, 60fps would be ideal)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:45:03 am by TimmiT »

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 07:31:29 am »
Hey I wasn't claiming anything. Thought it was an interesting thought shared by a friend.

Was just wondering why, I just don't see much evidence supporting it.

But him being japanese produced is very striking imo Since the day he started talking in sonic adventure. But sales in the west haven't been the issue indeed. Maybe it's an experiment?

Like I said, it could be produced in Japan but does not mean its a very Japanese product. Compare say, the recent Godzilla film (The 2014 one, not the abomination from 1998), despite being produced by Americans it still feels very Japanese, whilst Sonic or Trigun which are produced by Japanese creators just does not mean its a very Japanese product.

Anyway i'm not an expert. Most was just speculation. All in all it's another game I can look forward to this year. Maybe you should get a wii u too now and enjoy the doom and gloom ride with us?:p

To be honest I'm not fond with the Wii U or it's hardware so I'll wait it out until we get a Sonic Boom 2 as a multiplatform title! :p

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 07:44:41 am »
Aki-at will be too busy doing manly things in 2014 to waste time with the Wii u:

If the game is going to have a similar framerate to Crysis 3 on consoles, then expect it to run below 30fps most of the time. Of course, that really depends on how heavily they use effects and stuff. It doesn't seem like Sonic Boom will be as heavy on the special effects as Crysis 3 is, so hopefully it has a solid 30fps framerate at least. (Of course, 60fps would be ideal)

Yeah, maybe. The Sonic game is still pretty detailed, though. I personally don't think we will see it go above 30 FPS.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 08:23:53 am »
Saw this flying on twitter, not only do I like the character designs significantly more, I think I prefer them over the mainline versions too.

Bandages on shoes is still stupid though.