Author Topic: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America  (Read 112772 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America
« Reply #315 on: February 21, 2015, 07:47:35 pm »
Sure it's a complete package . But if your game looks great then its helps to get more gamers interested in the title .If Halo looked like crap on the XBox I doubt it would have got half the hype it did (or sell as well) . If Daytona USA on the Saturn looked half has good as RR on the PS or Sega Rally On the Saturn then I'm sure Saturn sales would have been much better early in .

Graphics are only one factor, we've had multiple great looking AAA title fail with both critical acclaim and sales already this generation. The point however is, that having state of the art tech is not the only thing that gets people hyped up as we still get plenty of moderate looking games still selling decent numbers.

You do have to show it, becasue I never said it all and I  you to prove otherwise . MT Framework engine is the most impressive engine I seen from a Japan developer and for me in most cases more impressive than Unreal 3 .

You can just check up your discussion with MadeManG about Sonic Unleashed vs Burnout, it's pretty easy to see how you got so defensive.

Its a PS3 game running on the PS4 . No different from AC Blackfalg running on the PS4 and XBone One .

And if you so my previous post I used LittleBigPlanet 3 as a discussion. The debate wasn't about console exclusive but about video gaming content.

? Monster Hunter more than meets is sales targets . It was the likes of Lost Planet 3 that didn't come close to their sales targets .

That wasn't... What I was getting at all.

It was that because certain titles might not sell as much as others does not indicate the overall health of the brand. Sonic: Lost World and Sonic Boom failed, yes, however Sonic Generations and Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed continue to sell and sell very well at that for titles that are more than a couple of years old. Likewise console versions of Monster Hunter do not sell nearly as well as the handheld versions, you must look at the entire picture and not just part of it to be able to establish a pattern.

That's it in a nutshell . SEGA's once mighty IP now can only sale in decent numbers onthe mobile platform and even then Sonic sales of late on the handheld aren't that great

Sonic was hardly a massive seller on handhelds outside of the 1990s. You're acting like he was a big seller on the Gameboy Advance etc when it's clear the franchise is very console centric.

That to me sounds like a sure fire way to kill Sonic once and for all .

Outside of a mobile games, that sounds like a sure fire way to make Sonic as popular as he could ever be. His resurgence in popularity really occurred because of the Sonic X television and it will probably occur again once he's multiplatform and his movie hits.

Sega's biggest problem is they have only one global brand (Sonic); the rest of their line-up is either Japan only or Western only. This makes them increasingly irrelevant in the global market.

Japan is irrelevant in the global console market and Sonic is irrelevant in Japan, the series is pretty much a Western brand. Better off either strengthening Western development arms and/or getting their Japanese teams to develop for the West, though I'd feel more confident in the former than the latter.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #316 on: February 22, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »
Graphics are only one factor, we've had multiple great looking AAA title fail with both critical acclaim and sales already this generation.
Like I said its a complete package , but the best games are the ones that tend to feature good graphics and also great gameplay . Like with films... Take the effects away from Star Wars A New Hope and I doubt it would have had anywhere near the impact it did .

You can just check up your discussion with MadeManG about Sonic Unleashed vs Burnout
I take it this your spin ? You show me and you quote me  where in that topic I made out that Sonic Gen/Unleashed looked better than 'MT Framework' or 'Frostbite engine' . That's looking over how I was never impressed with the 'Renderware' graphics in Burnout.

And if you so my previous post I used LittleBigPlanet 3
Yep a PS3 game running on the PS4 . Kind of hard to get excited by LBP on the PS4 which is why I haven't talked the game up at all.
however Sonic Generations and Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed continue to sell and sell very well at that for titles that are more than a couple of years old.

They're old games . Lets talk about there here and now and thanks to Sammy stupid move to lock Sonic on the Wii U we've now seen Sonic get some of the worst sales yet for a main Sonic game .
Sonic was hardly a massive seller on handhelds outside of the 1990s

Never said he was massive and always make that point when talking about Capcom sales . Thing was most of the main Sonic games managed to seller a million plus copies - not so for Sonic Lost World . Sonic should have been multi platform .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #317 on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:53 pm »
Like I said its a complete package , but the best games are the ones that tend to feature good graphics and also great gameplay . Like with films... Take the effects away from Star Wars A New Hope and I doubt it would have had anywhere near the impact it did .

Video games and films are not even the same.

The best games last year featured old tech and the ones with the best tech were a disappointment, I'm not sure where you think good graphics equal great gameplay, since Nintendo limited themselves to the Wii and then the Wii U and we got indie popping up left, right and centre we have seen the best games featuring anything but cutting edge graphics.

I take it this your spin ? You show me and you quote me  where in that topic I made out that Sonic Gen/Unleashed looked better than 'MT Framework' or 'Frostbite engine' . That's looking over how I was never impressed with the 'Renderware' graphics in Burnout.

Selective memory, you can ask any one member here who participated in that discussion, George, myself, MadeManG and you will find all of us point out how you made out the Hedgehog Engine was something to be excited about when it just wasn't the case.

Yep a PS3 game running on the PS4 . Kind of hard to get excited by LBP on the PS4 which is why I haven't talked the game up at all.

So now you've established what basis of the discussion is than you know it has nothing, and never had anything, to do with console exclusives. People want new content and Ishin and Zero was that.

They're old games . Lets talk about there here and now and thanks to Sammy stupid move to lock Sonic on the Wii U we've now seen Sonic get some of the worst sales yet for a main Sonic game .

No they're relevant to the discussion because they show the condition of the brand. They show Sonic can still sell on consoles, they show he has pull with mainstream audience. Sonic selling poorly on the Wii U does not show the brand is at it's low point, it shows the Wii U is a low point for almost any brand that comes close to it.

Never said he was massive and always make that point when talking about Capcom sales . Thing was most of the main Sonic games managed to seller a million plus copies - not so for Sonic Lost World . Sonic should have been multi platform .

Sonic the Hedgehog 06 did not manage to sell a million copies, one failure does not indicate the health of the brand when other areas, the catalog and mobile, continue to do well. Sonic's decline has nothing to do with the status of the series but with the console it is on.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #318 on: February 23, 2015, 07:52:11 pm »
I think going multiplatform for any kind of japanese videogame company in this generation is a double-edged sword.

First, you can expand your margin of sales and create something with more money on it, but also, you need to speculate about the results, suffer the double of the loss if you fail to meet your expectations and divide the budget in between the releases...and I didn't count the taxes, distribution, localization, 9 months cycle and publicity investments which are increased by three if you wanna go full multiplat.

I can say the same about the Western developers but it's more problematic than the latter.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2015, 03:38:34 am »
Video games and films are not even the same
That's not what I'm saying but like in a film where the story, script, effects, acting  music score all need to come together for a really good and memorable film then in a game you need the GFX, Sound , Gameplay, Level design control  to all come together and then you're on to a making a memorable game.

The best games last year featured old tech and the ones with the best tech were a disappointment
Games are subjective for a start. Most of the better games made over the last year or so have some real good tech behind them , and by the same token of AAA tech doesn't mean its a must have game, just because you have low level tech doesn't mean you're going to have a must have game . I mean for many GTA V was their game of the year and that featured some of the best tech one would see
Selective memory, you can ask any one member here who participated in that discussion
By All means quote me , or take it back . You know full well I never ever made out Sonic Heg engine was better than MT Framework .

So now you've established what basis of the discussion is than you know it has nothing
Spinning again are we ? I'm saying that when you buy a next gen system its very hard to get excited about a game that was made for last gen system and just brought out to your new console not matter how good the game is . I love the Saturn, but found it very hard to get excited about Sonic Island/3D or Earthworm Jim II on the Saturn - games that were really nothing more than Mega Drive games running on a Saturn with basic GFX upgrades. Did any Saturn owner count Sonic 3D as a true new Sonic entry , I'm sure in a old Sonic discussion not even you did for added irony.

No they're relevant to the discussion because they show the condition of the brand

You go buy how the last games sells, not how a title years before did . Shenmue sold over a million, but SEGA money men would just go on what Shenmue II sold . Sakura Wars was a great seller on the Saturn and DC, but Sammy would look at how well SW V sold on the PS2 when considering a sequel . So no Sorry Sonic isn't in great shape on the 'consoles' thanks to Sammy move to lock it to Nintendo Wii U.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2015, 04:17:05 am »
The issue is that Sonic being on Wii U isn't the issue, its that Sonic Boom was a bad game and came out the same time as Smash Bros on the Wii U, which also featured Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic Boom TV show was aimed mainly at kids (though it had a strong adult viewing base) by being put on TV early in the morning. Right, say your a kid and you have a Wii U, would you rather buy another Sonic game (which one was just released last year) that has been bashed online (kids love these Youtube let's play and this game had plenty of it) or pick up the most hyped Nintendo game, period?

Lost World is also another game that takes a step back, do you think it would have done better on the Playstation 4?

Personally think SEGA needs to step back and see what makes the Sonic brand viable and fun. I think they captured a good portion of it in Sonic Generations, but it seems that Sonic Team thinks they need to reinvent the fucking wheel instead of continuing to polish what they have and adding on more polished parts.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #321 on: February 24, 2015, 05:08:33 am »
Lost World is also another game that takes a step back, do you think it would have done better on the Playstation 4

It should have also been on the 360 and PS3 and XBox One as well  - on all those systems it would have been a million seller easy , more so with the kids getting a 360 or PS3 for Christmas.Backing he Wii U was just a total dumb move
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:10:23 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #322 on: February 24, 2015, 08:34:44 am »
I think going multiplatform for any kind of japanese videogame company in this generation is a double-edged sword.

First, you can expand your margin of sales and create something with more money on it, but also, you need to speculate about the results, suffer the double of the loss if you fail to meet your expectations and divide the budget in between the releases...and I didn't count the taxes, distribution, localization, 9 months cycle and publicity investments which are increased by three if you wanna go full multiplat.

I can say the same about the Western developers but it's more problematic than the latter.

I'd like to see more publishers take the approach that Yakuza 5 is getting, in a physical release in Japan which is teh 'safe' territory, then digital release elsewhere to minimise risk. You still have the translation costs, but it's much easier than distributing a phyiscal release and worrying about dealing with the retailers etc.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2015, 01:18:42 pm »
Sega should always focus on delivering fantastic games.  That's all.  Say what you will of Sonic Boom's platform of choice but that thing was destined to be a stinker regardless of how many or what system it came out on. 

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #324 on: February 24, 2015, 01:49:28 pm »

It should have also been on the 360 and PS3 and XBox One as well  - on all those systems it would have been a million seller easy , more so with the kids getting a 360 or PS3 for Christmas.Backing he Wii U was just a total dumb move

I agree with this to a degree. Sonic Lost World is not a bad game. It had some interesting ideas that were not completely fleshed out. If it had a multiplatform release with the popularity of Sonic, it may have gotten enough sales to get a direct sequel which could have polished the ideas to realise the potential it had. As it was, it came off as a Mario Galaxy clone on a system which can play 2 Mario Galaxy games which DO have that polish.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #325 on: February 25, 2015, 06:46:04 am »
I agree with this to a degree. Sonic Lost World is not a bad game. It had some interesting ideas that were not completely fleshed out.

That's the trouble with Colors, Gen and Lost World - they're almost there but not quite . Which is why I just want the team to only focus 100% on 1 Sonic game - No worrying about HH versions, no producing and looking over outsourced Sonic games - The Team just 100% working on One Sonic game and if it takes 3 to 4 years to get it done, so be it .

That's what I like to see
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #326 on: February 25, 2015, 07:54:33 am »
Yeah, AM2 likes to take their with Virtua Fighter too, why not do the same with Sonic.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #327 on: February 25, 2015, 06:49:30 pm »
That's not what I'm saying but like in a film where the story, script, effects, acting  music score all need to come together for a really good and memorable film then in a game you need the GFX, Sound , Gameplay, Level design control  to all come together and then you're on to a making a memorable game.

But you specifically pointed out the CGI.

In games you do not need cutting edge graphics, which was the initial point, to stand out anymore. You just need a game that looks fun. Persona 5 just started riding the hype wave by just having a pleasing art direction and music, not high tech graphics.

Games are subjective for a start. Most of the better games made over the last year or so have some real good tech behind them , and by the same token of AAA tech doesn't mean its a must have game, just because you have low level tech doesn't mean you're going to have a must have game . I mean for many GTA V was their game of the year and that featured some of the best tech one would see

But we can agree to a consensus and on that regards the best games tend to be the ones that are published by Nintendo who has limited themselves to low end tech. So you can't argue that graphics aren't what catches people's eyes, a well produced gameplay segment tops state of the art tech. The point wasn't though that high end or low end games make a must have game, it just so happens to be in this day and age graphics are not the be all end all of gaming.

By All means quote me , or take it back . You know full well I never ever made out Sonic Heg engine was better than MT Framework .

Never even mentioned MT Framework, just how you mentioned it was a top engine when various members argued it was subpar, something you got defensive about.

Spinning again are we ? I'm saying that when you buy a next gen system its very hard to get excited about a game that was made for last gen system and just brought out to your new console not matter how good the game is . I love the Saturn, but found it very hard to get excited about Sonic Island/3D or Earthworm Jim II on the Saturn - games that were really nothing more than Mega Drive games running on a Saturn with basic GFX upgrades. Did any Saturn owner count Sonic 3D as a true new Sonic entry , I'm sure in a old Sonic discussion not even you did for added irony.

Again, this isn't spinning, this is a failure at reading comprehension about yourself.

This discussion was never about console exclusives, this was never about if the Playstation 4 or Xbox One was worth it, this was if SEGA was still producing video games that people are interested in. That was the debate, the discussion, something you seem to be overlooking. No spin, just a failure to understand what we have been talking about.

You go buy how the last games sells, not how a title years before did . Shenmue sold over a million, but SEGA money men would just go on what Shenmue II sold . Sakura Wars was a great seller on the Saturn and DC, but Sammy would look at how well SW V sold on the PS2 when considering a sequel . So no Sorry Sonic isn't in great shape on the 'consoles' thanks to Sammy move to lock it to Nintendo Wii U.

Your examples are relatively different to the Sonic the Hedgehog brand. The original Shenmue and prior Sakura Wars title stopped selling at a certain point whilst older Sonic titles continue to sell, and sell good numbers too. To imply that Sonic's days as a console series is numbered due to minor failures on a failed console is pure ludicrous but this was never the original point and I'm not sure why you veered off course from the main discussion again to an unrelated discussion.

You argued that Sonic can no longer be considered a multi-million selling franchise but this is an incorrect assumption. As proven with catalog sales, far from it, Sonic is still a multimillion selling franchise.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #328 on: February 25, 2015, 11:44:09 pm »
But you specifically pointed out the CGI

Like I say what gets one hooked in a New Hope ? That opening Scene with the huge star destroyer flying over gets you into the film straight away , with out the effects I bet Star Wars would never have had the impact , but if one looks at the last 3 Star Wars films even thought the effects were good, the script and films were poor . Like with games even if you got an amazing engine you need a game to back it up .

Nintendo who has limited themselves to low end tech

A lot of that is down the Hardware , but Mario Kart 7 and Pikmin III look brilliant for the hardware they are on

Never even mentioned MT Framework

So take it back then . I never said it and please don't make out I did .

This discussion was never about console exclusives

Right and on that score I'll not class a game that looks and plays pretty much the same on the PS3 as PS4 exclusive.

Your examples are relatively different to the Sonic the Hedgehog brand

Its how the business works. The top brass and money men will always look at how the last game performed , not how well a previous title did on a previous gen years back. 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #329 on: February 28, 2015, 10:07:34 am »
Like I say what gets one hooked in a New Hope ? That opening Scene with the huge star destroyer flying over gets you into the film straight away , with out the effects I bet Star Wars would never have had the impact , but if one looks at the last 3 Star Wars films even thought the effects were good, the script and films were poor . Like with games even if you got an amazing engine you need a game to back it up .

Again you are comparing films and video games when they should never be compared.

The point wasn't about what you need beside an engine, the point was gameplay trumps state of the art engines everyday.

A lot of that is down the Hardware , but Mario Kart 7 and Pikmin III look brilliant for the hardware they are on

We are not talking about specific hardware, we were talking about graphics pleasing people. You can't say simply because of the hardware they're on that they look brilliant, Nintendo does not exist in a vacuum and the point was the best games do not have the best graphics.

So take it back then . I never said it and please don't make out I did .

I don't have to take back something because I never even mentioned, you invented it in your head when I mentioned how fantastic you thought the Hedgehog Engine was. This is undeniable, the Sonic Unleashed topic is proof of this.

Right and on that score I'll not class a game that looks and plays pretty much the same on the PS3 as PS4 exclusive.

And the point was never about console exclusives, it's something you entirely made up. The point was about content, which is what SEGA fans. However you twisted it into something I never said after mentioning Ishin and Zero.

Its how the business works. The top brass and money men will always look at how the last game performed , not how well a previous title did on a previous gen years back.

You have no idea how the top brass works though, you don't know if they accounted the Wii U for giving poor sales for the Sonic brand or not. But this is besides the point, I've pointed out how you are largely incorrect to call time on the Sonic brand and act like it's not even a million seller anymore.