Author Topic: Sega at TGS 2010!  (Read 35108 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: Sega at TGS 2010!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 07:29:14 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
@CrackDude... Any Shenmue 3 rumours are about as likely to be real as... some kind of all mighty creator that nobody can see but we all have faith in anyway. =D

You mean like having faith in Sonic Team ever making a great game ever again?

Thats cool and all but Phantasy Star Portable 2, which was developed by members of Sonic Team and Alpha Systems comes out soon and from the demo is already being called the best Phantasy Star Online since the original.

So... no nothing like that.

It is funny how you could only think of one game to even mention. Also, Sonic Team did not develop it at all, just Alpha Systems.

Kind of makes this even funnier. As soon as Sonic Team got their hands off of the series it is actually playable again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:43:03 pm »

It is funny how you could only think of one game to even mention. Also, Sonic Team did not develop it at all, just Alpha Systems.

Kind of makes this even funnier. As soon as Sonic Team got their hands off of the series it is actually playable again.

Wrong.

The guy that made the entire game great was Satoshi Sakai, (Dragon Sakai) he oversaw the entire project and guess what... He's from Sonic Team.

Not to mention the entire game is based off of an existing Sonic Team developed engine...

Many of the artists, music composers and programmers are from Sonic Team.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:38 pm »

Wrong.

The guy that made the entire game great was Satoshi Sakai, (Dragon Sakai) he oversaw the entire project and guess what... He's from Sonic Team.

Not to mention the entire game is based off of an existing Sonic Team developed engine...

What does Satoshi Sakai have to do with developing the game? Just watching over what they did is not the same as developing it, like Alpha Systems did. Artists and stuff from Sonic Team I can believe worked on it, but again I do not think the art is what made the game fun.

It is like if you said Backbone should get all of the credit for everything on the HD Genesis/Mega Drive Collection... And what does it even matter? Even if half of the staff was made up of people from Sonic Team it still proves my point that Sonic Team has not made a great game in a long, long time. They needed another group to accomplish that, and the funniest part is that this is literally the only game you could name!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure at the time, most of those were working on Phantasy Star Zero whilst Alfa System was commisioned to work on Phantasy Star Portbale. If I recall correctly, the Famitsu interview that revealed Phantasy Star Portable 2, Sonic Team said that Alfa were responsible for most of Phantasy Star Portable, whilst they did Phantasy Star Zero, then when both games came out, the two combined to work on Phantasy Star Portable 2, which is why it was produced relatively quickly.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 08:13:38 pm »

Wrong.

What does Satoshi Sakai have to do with developing the game? Just watching over what they did is not the same as developing it, like Alpha Systems did. Artists and stuff from Sonic Team I can believe worked on it, but again I do not think the art is what made the game fun.

Thats like you saying what does Nagoshi have to do with developing Yakuza...

Satoshi Sakai introduced all of the changes that MADE this a good game... He oversaw development and approved every change.

Again, Sonic Team already MADE the engine, all changes are simply new levels, enemy designs and weapons. Some gameplay tweaks such as roles and sheilds but hardly a brand new game.

Even if half of the staff was made up of people from Sonic Team it still proves my point that Sonic Team has not made a great game in a long, long time. They needed another group to accomplish that, and the funniest part is that this is literally the only game you could name!
Phantasy Star Portable 1, Phantasy Star: Zero, Puyo Pop Anniversary.

How many great new games have AM2 made recently?
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 08:16:11 pm »
Here's my ideal next 3D Sonic game:

3D stages akin to what Colors is offering, with an emphasis on 2.5D gameplay (making up for 70% of the level) and the occasional 3D running segments and epic set pieces (making up 30%). Each stage should be able to be played in full with Sonic, Knuckles or Tails.

Aesthetically, I'd love to see stages that resemble the tracks seen in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. I thought those were a great blend of the Unleashed cartoonish realism and the 16-bit style.

Outside of the regular action stages (oh! and I'd love to see the return of the Zone and Act naming structure) mini-games at about the level of Sonic Adventure would be awesome, stuff like the karts, whack-a-mole, snowboarding, pinball etc. They could mix 'em into the adventure, make them the bonus stages, whatever.

Even if all of the above ends up being less than 10 hours on the first playthrough, I guarantee that if it was fun I'd play it again and again. Take JSR for example, short game and yet I've played through it at least 8 times and played each area with each character at least twice (about 100 times).

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 08:40:14 pm »
Thats like you saying what does Nagoshi have to do with developing Yakuza...

A lot of those concepts are his. While I am not too worried about how the Majima game will turn out (mainly because they are an actual competent group) it is not really that big of a deal anyways because we already have a boatload of great games by them already. One okay or even shitty game out of like seven ain't too bad I think.

Satoshi Sakai introduced all of the changes that MADE this a good game... He oversaw development and approved every change.

So he just said yes or no to all of the changes? Does not really seem like this alone makes it a Sonic Team game above all else...

Again, Sonic Team already MADE the engine, all changes are simply new levels, enemy designs and weapons. Some gameplay tweaks such as roles and sheilds but hardly a brand new game.

So you are saying (As an example to compare) Epic Games should get the credit for every game on the Unreal Engine? Does not really make sense.

Phantasy Star Portable 1, Phantasy Star: Zero, Puyo Pop Anniversary.

Phantasy Star Portable 1 also had help from Alpha Systems... It does not even really change much when this and Zero were both all based on Phantasy Star Online stuff yet are worse even though they have had over 10 years to try and improve on all of it.

And do not bring Puyo Puyo into the conversation... The biggest change to that series in like 20 years was the art direction. Big whoop. Next you will be bringing The House of the Dead 2&3 Returns, right?

How many great new games have AM2 made recently?

What does this have to do with anything? If you are really going to go off and question AM2's quality in comparison to Sonic Team you truly have lost it.

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
3D stages akin to what Colors is offering, with an emphasis on 2.5D gameplay (making up for 70% of the level) and the occasional 3D running segments and epic set pieces (making up 30%).

You want a 3D game that is mostly 2D gameplay? The 2D sections in Unleashed and Colors are just lazy ways to make it seem like there are better platforming sections when it is just a straight away path.

I would like them to focus on normal platforming, I just do not want it to be incredibly frustrating or control poorly... Or have boring level gimmicks. All of these were the main problems with Unleashed, Heroes and both at the same time respectfully. It could have a billion playable characters for all I care, as long as they get the exploration and have normal platforming, none of that item collection nonsense, keep that to unlockable extras if you must.

Oh yeah, and make sure the story is basic and keep Iizuka the Hell away from it. He will find a way to ruin it AND add aliens into it.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:24 pm »
You want a 3D game that is mostly 2D gameplay? The 2D sections in Unleashed and Colors are just lazy ways to make it seem like there are better platforming sections when it is just a straight away path.

Yeah, I'd prefer that. A free roaming 3D game is something I'd prefer to see kept in stuff like Jax, Banjo or Ratchet. Never really worked for me in Sonic games. Whenever Sonic went full 3D (as in run in whichever direction you want) I'd just get lost. '06 was a great example of how free roaming maps fail in a Sonic game. White Acropolis was a mess. Take a look at SA1 and 2 for example, they were great stages but were totally linear. Might as well have flipped them on their sides and play them as 2.5D. In fact that's basically what Unleashed did. THat direction + two or three alternate routes (low, medium, high) would be the best. Anyway, thats my personal opinion so yeah. Off to bed! nighty night  :afroman:

Offline Sharky

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 09:17:21 pm »
A lot of those concepts are his. While I am not too worried about how the Majima game will turn out (mainly because they are an actual competent group) it is not really that big of a deal anyways because we already have a boatload of great games by them already. One okay or even shitty game out of like seven ain't too bad I think.
Not even sure what point you are trying to make here...

So he just said yes or no to all of the changes? Does not really seem like this alone makes it a Sonic Team game above all else...
No... but all of the other things I mentioned does... Such as the entire engine being developed BY Sonic Team...

So you are saying (As an example to compare) Epic Games should get the credit for every game on the Unreal Engine? Does not really make sense.
What doesn't make sense is that you are trying to compare an engine to an already built game... that Alpha Systems simply tweaked to fit the PSP and then added and took away content at Sakais command.

Phantasy Star Portable 1 also had help from Alpha Systems... It does not even really change much when this and Zero were both all based on Phantasy Star Online stuff yet are worse even though they have had over 10 years to try and improve on all of it.
The same way Virtua Fighter 5 is based off of Virtua Fighter 1 stuff... as in, concept and thats about it.

And do not bring Puyo Puyo into the conversation... The biggest change to that series in like 20 years was the art direction. Big whoop. Next you will be bringing The House of the Dead 2&3 Returns, right?
Cool, so you have no idea what has changed in this series since the start... Fever, my personal favourite is completely different from the previous games.

Anniversary has about 10 completely new gameplay modes... Seriously, reseach before you open your mouth.

What does this have to do with anything? If you are really going to go off and question AM2's quality in comparison to Sonic Team you truly have lost it.
No, you are personally talking about quantity... not quality... You are the one banging on about me only naming 1 good Sonic Team game now I'm asking you to tell me how many good recent AM2 games can you name.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 10:07:15 pm »
Not even sure what point you are trying to make here...

I was explaining my stance on all of the praise I have given Nagoshi. I am thinking you are taking a lot of the comments I have made too seriously, I do not see him as a God-like figure or anything. This whole conversation broke out from what you said about God to begin with!

No... but all of the other things I mentioned does... Such as the entire engine being developed BY Sonic Team...

I do not really know what to say here. Lots of people develop engines for others to use. Like look at the game Stubbs the Zombie. I have no idea how good or bad this is, but it was all done on the engine used for Halo, does not mean Bungie should be getting the praise or hate from this game. What matters is not the engine, but who actually made the game, and it was not Sonic Team...

What doesn't make sense is that you are trying to compare an engine to an already built game... that Alpha Systems simply tweaked to fit the PSP and then added and took away content at Sakais command.

Well you are in luck because the Unreal Engines were designed with Unreal Tournament games in mind, and everyone who used it just tweaked it depending on what they needed.

The same way Virtua Fighter 5 is based off of Virtua Fighter 1 stuff... as in, concept and thats about it.

Cool, so you have no idea what has changed in this series since the start... Fever, my personal favourite is completely different from the previous games.

Anniversary has about 10 completely new gameplay modes... Seriously, reseach before you open your mouth.

What? Why would you compare the differences between something like such a massive change like Virtua Fighter 3 with a series that has the same gameplay as it has had for like 20 years now? New modes are just new modes, but Virtua Fighter 5 plays nothing like Virtua Fighter 1. Of course there are similarities, because it is in the same series.

Put it this way. Anyone who knows how to play Puyo Puyo can make a fan game of their own as long as they know how to design basic game structure. With Virtua Fighter... Not so much. Even with what you might see as minor details being tweaked with VF5 Version C to D would be considered extremely large jobs for pretty much anyone, including the people who have worked on the series for years.

Changes like that are not as massive as say... Fever mode, which changes nothing about the basic structure of the game, just sends puyos out differently. I do not know why you have to be such a dick about this, either...

No, you are personally talking about quantity... not quality... You are the one banging on about me only naming 1 good Sonic Team game now I'm asking you to tell me how many good recent AM2 games can you name.

No I am not. I never once mentioned quantity or even liking AM2 in this conversation, you are just assuming again. The point you made was off topic. I can mention how you never even looked for that Sonic the Hedgehog 4 song too!

Listen, the whole reason we are having this conversation at all is because you pretty much said there is no God and you made it seem like anyone who believes otherwise is not entirely right in the head. I made a joke that harmed you in the same way you knew saying shit like that would harm others. If you want my personal opinion, I think Sonic Team has made some 'great' games within the past ten years, you just took everything too far again, as usual and cannot take a bit of your own medicine.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 09:37:11 am »
Sega has trademarked Border Break Air Burst.

And I think there are no more Platinum Games. At least, not as we have seen on the beggining.

Mikami is not there anymore (well, he was never a member of Platinum) and I have seen a lot of people from Platinum leaving the studio to works on another companies/studios.

Well, I hope Platinum follow working with Sega though.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 10:04:22 am »
I do not really know what to say here. Lots of people develop engines for others to use. Like look at the game Stubbs the Zombie. I have no idea how good or bad this is, but it was all done on the engine used for Halo, does not mean Bungie should be getting the praise or hate from this game. What matters is not the engine, but who actually made the game, and it was not Sonic Team...
Yes granted that does happen... but AGAIN it is completely different... This isn't just an engine, Its the full, already designed game... Levels, Weapons, Photon Arts, Rooms, Lobbies... The game ALREADY EXISTS. Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Portable 2 are basically PSU on the PSP with some gameplay tweaks and changes under Sakai-sans guidence.

Well you are in luck because the Unreal Engines were designed with Unreal Tournament games in mind, and everyone who used it just tweaked it depending on what they needed.
Yeah... see above.

What? Why would you compare the differences between something like such a massive change like Virtua Fighter 3 with a series that has the same gameplay as it has had for like 20 years now? New modes are just new modes, but Virtua Fighter 5 plays nothing like Virtua Fighter 1. Of course there are similarities, because it is in the same series.

Put it this way. Anyone who knows how to play Puyo Puyo can make a fan game of their own as long as they know how to design basic game structure. With Virtua Fighter... Not so much. Even with what you might see as minor details being tweaked with VF5 Version C to D would be considered extremely large jobs for pretty much anyone, including the people who have worked on the series for years.

Changes like that are not as massive as say... Fever mode, which changes nothing about the basic structure of the game, just sends puyos out differently. I do not know why you have to be such a dick about this, either...
Puyo Pop Fever plays nothing like the original game... New modes completely change up the gameplay.

Puyo Pop 15th Anniversary has about 10 completely new modes,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZdo8wgK2kY

Yes it still involves falling puyos... but thats because its the same series...

No I am not. I never once mentioned quantity or even liking AM2 in this conversation, you are just assuming again. The point you made was off topic. I can mention how you never even looked for that Sonic the Hedgehog 4 song too!
Way to miss the point... You were the one blowing up about how I could ONLY name 1 good Sonic Team game recently... So I'm asking YOU to tell me how many good AM2 games you can name recently.

Listen, the whole reason we are having this conversation at all is because you pretty much said there is no God and you made it seem like anyone who believes otherwise is not entirely right in the head.

I made a joke that harmed you in the same way you knew saying shit like that would harm others. If you want my personal opinion, I think Sonic Team has made some 'great' games within the past ten years, you just took everything too far again, as usual and cannot take a bit of your own medicine.
I'm not sure how you think this has 'harmed' me, I'm not someone that gives a shit about Sonic Team... You just have this silly thought in your head that I'm some kind of fan of theirs simply because I haven't jumped on the 'OMG SONIC 4 SUCKS IIZUKA SUCKS' band wagon and I've heard from pretty reliable sources that they are back on track...

Maybe your sources have said other wise, but then... hows that Sega All stars mini game collection coming along? How about that one CGI with Joe Musashi? Wheres that Nuckles DLC?... Bayonetta in All-Stars Racing?
Made by SEGA

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 10:13:50 am »
[Querying whois.jprs.jp]
[whois.jprs.jp]
[ JPRS database provides information on network administration. Its use is    ]
[ restricted to network administration purposes. For further information,     ]
[ use 'whois -h whois.jprs.jp help'. To suppress Japanese output, add'/e'     ]
[ at the end of command, e.g. 'whois -h whois.jprs.jp xxx/e'.                 ]

Domain Information: [ドメイン情報]
[Domain Name]                   PSO2.JP

[登録者名]                      株式会社セガ
[Registrant]                    SEGA CORPORATION

[Name Server]                   ns3.segaonline.jp
[Name Server]                   ns4.segaonline.jp

[登録年月日]                    2009/04/20
[有効期限]                      2011/04/30
[状態]                          Active
[最終更新]                      2010/05/01 01:05:01 (JST)

Contact Information: [公開連絡窓口]
[名前]                          五十嵐 勝
[Name]                          Igarashi Masaru
[Email]                         http://whois.shinobi.jp/bin/whois.cgi?q=pso2.jp

i didn't find this btw, so please don't give me credit as the one searching it lol.  I'm just passing on some awesome info.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 10:45:11 am »
PSO2

Phantasy Star Online... 2?!

or.... Puyo Samba Oratorio 2

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 11:28:00 am »
Quote from: "ShadiWulf"
[Querying whois.jprs.jp]
[whois.jprs.jp]
[ JPRS database provides information on network administration. Its use is    ]
[ restricted to network administration purposes. For further information,     ]
[ use 'whois -h whois.jprs.jp help'. To suppress Japanese output, add'/e'     ]
[ at the end of command, e.g. 'whois -h whois.jprs.jp xxx/e'.                 ]

Domain Information: [ドメイン情報]
[Domain Name]                   PSO2.JP

[登録者名]                      株式会社セガ
[Registrant]                    SEGA CORPORATION

[Name Server]                   ns3.segaonline.jp
[Name Server]                   ns4.segaonline.jp

[登録年月日]                    2009/04/20
[有効期限]                      2011/04/30
[状態]                          Active
[最終更新]                      2010/05/01 01:05:01 (JST)

Contact Information: [公開連絡窓口]
[名前]                          五十嵐 勝
[Name]                          Igarashi Masaru
[Email]                         http://whois.shinobi.jp/bin/whois.cgi?q=pso2.jp

i didn't find this btw, so please don't give me credit as the one searching it lol.  I'm just passing on some awesome info.

wow!!