Author Topic: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west  (Read 64938 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2015, 04:19:45 pm »

I'm on about the direction the corp is going. Looking at SOJ output their console line up is lacking and they're more and more the mobile . You really think the fanbase of CA and Sports Int would be happy with their corps going more and more to mobile - even if it made SEGA Europe millions .

Does SOJ have a fanbase. It's more like the Sonic fanbase (hoping for a good game), the Yakuza fanbase (hoping for localizations), PSO fanbase (either playing the JP version or be frustrated) and also Virtua Fighter fanbase (hoping for a game).

The outcry for going mobile, while abandoning what they love has been minimal, as there hasn't been a move such as Breath of Fire 6.
The matter is that TA, you are the only one expecting big ambitious next gen projects.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2015, 07:02:29 pm »
Look

And here is where your argument falls apart. Why are your posts so laughable and biased?

all

What is your source on this? All of what?

I'm

Ah, so this is opinion, not fact. Got it.

saying

Yes, we all hear your ramblings.

is

Expand on this (bet you can't)

that

Get to the point....

Total War: Empire

FINALLY! I agree with you here.

is

And its back to this tired argument....

the

Again, all bias.

best

Stopped reading after this.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2015, 08:25:45 am »
f

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2015, 01:52:06 pm »
u

This thread was going so well until you weaselled your way into it!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2015, 02:00:54 pm »
This thread was going so well until you weaselled your way into it!

You're the one lying about his join date.

"February 07, 2010, 04:25:27 am"

Yeah right. Show a receipt or gtfo.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2015, 02:39:05 pm »
Did we all join February 7th 2010?
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2015, 02:41:12 pm »
Comedic genius and all, but there is still some good discussion here so let's stay on topic. (Or leave the topic, whichever you fancy.)
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »
I've talked about this before on a Jet Set Radio blog I run, but I pretty much share the opinion that Sega has no real business making an in-house Japanese developed game anymore. I've noticed a lot of people are extremely cynical about where Sega is going, but I always make it clear that poor sales= no sequels. There's this one guy in particular that keeps popping up, that I've just taken to ignoring now, that constantly complains Sega isn't doing what he wants, and I keep explaining that it's because of sales, being too risky, and although I've never said it to him, people like him. One particular example I brought up was NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, and how Sega took a huge gamble on making it at all, especially considering how much bigger it was than the first game. The fact it bombed probably affected Sega's desire to try something like that again (which they haven't, except for arguably Sonic games).

I think the sales and reception Sega got from the immediate post-Dreamcast era, that is, 2002 to around 2007,  has REALLY soured any luck of more games in that vein. If people had just bought the games they were making instead of bitching about Sonic and the Dreamcast, we might singing a different tune.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2015, 02:59:43 pm »
^Agreed. Still I hope they continue to strengthen some brands and release new games. There is still a cult following for many of their classics.
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2015, 03:06:33 pm »
Oh absolutely. I still hope for the day we get something new from their old IP's, and at the very least, Sega is willing to give Atlus the reigns on their old IP's, so maybe the same could happen to their other recently-acquired studios. But that's a couple years from now when everyone's current projects from before the buyouts are done.

Actually, that reminds me, are Sega putting their name on stuff like Persona and Total War yet? I ask because I looked at the box for Persona Q and nowhere on it did it ever indicate it was a Sega game. The only assumption I can make is that it's because someone else published it but I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:11:18 pm by Moody »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2015, 03:11:46 pm »
One particular example I brought up was NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, and how Sega took a huge gamble on making it at all, especially considering how much bigger it was than the first game. The fact it bombed probably affected Sega's desire to try something like that again (which they haven't, except for arguably Sonic games).

To be fair, that was also one of the worst games I've ever played, it was a colossal piece of shit.
Maybe if they made a good game it might have sold a little better.

I do agree that the sales don't warrant a return to a lot of franchises, but there needs to be a certain level of quality as well.

To be honest, I don't expect much from Sega anymore, and haven't for years. Old IPs can be considered dead outside of a port, and a few series from Japan might still be alive (Yakuza, VF etc), but have iffy prospects of being translated (Yakuza, PSO).

Offline Sharky

« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2015, 03:19:50 pm »

Actually, that reminds me, are Sega putting their name on stuff like Persona and Total War yet? I ask because I looked at the box for Persona Q and nowhere on it did it ever indicate it was a Sega game. The only assumption I can make is that it's because someone else published it but I don't know.

Total War for many years, yes. Atlus no, its different they're their own publishing house under SEGA. You'll see SEGA trademarks on their covers, title screen and credits but that's all.
Made by SEGA

Offline Moody

« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2015, 03:24:22 pm »
Huh, that's really weird. It doesn't really make much sense to me, why own the game when you're not even gonna let people know you own it, but I guess that's just how they're gonna go about it.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2015, 03:27:51 pm »

CA never had publishing, but Atlus has.

Also Atlus has an overseas investor firm (Atlus Holding), but Sega doesn't (Sega Holding is for all their western and japanese projects, which inludes Atlus JP).

Atlus USA also has no SEGA trademarks on their stuff: http://www.atlus.com/persona5/home.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:29:58 pm by Trippled »