Author Topic: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west  (Read 65111 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2015, 09:15:21 pm »
Well outside of Sony's upcoming interview with the Producers (including user submitted questions via twitter)? not much

Asked Sam Mullen (SEGA of America Localization Producer) about it and he said his team isn't working on it. So I assume another localization producer at SEGA is heading it up or its being worked on by Sony.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2015, 09:21:56 pm »
Here we go again with the whole 'If it aint Asia it aint SEGA' nonsense. It's such a dumb argument for SEGA of all developers. A tonne of their greats weren't even developed in Japan including Sonic 2... They aren't even originally a Japanese company and they found their greatest success in home consoles in Europe and basically all thanks to Sega of America in the 90's. SEGA has always been a multicultural company right from the start.

The Creative Assembly only released 3 TW games and 2 expansion packs before SEGA acquired them, since then they've released over 10 stand alone and a lot of expansions. They've been with SEGA for over a decade. They're most 'SEGA' than GameFreak is Nintendo...
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2015, 09:32:13 pm »
Here we go again with the whole 'If it aint Asia it aint SEGA' nonsense. It's such a dumb argument for SEGA of all developers. A tonne of their greats weren't even developed in Japan including Sonic 2... They aren't even originally a Japanese company and they found their greatest success in home consoles in Europe and basically all thanks to Sega of America in the 90's. SEGA has always been a multicultural company right from the start.

The Creative Assembly only released 3 TW games and 2 expansion packs before SEGA acquired them, since then they've released over 10 stand alone and a lot of expansions. They've been with SEGA for over a decade. They're most 'SEGA' than GameFreak is Nintendo...

Geography has nothing to do with this; nor have I ever made such a claim.  The Pokemon/Gamefreak comparison is not appropriate given that Pokemon has never existed without Nintendo.  Total War has existed without Sega, and has flourished without Sega.

The ridiculous thing about this is that I have no personal beef with Atlus or CA.  Certainly not.  But I won't lie and say it doesn't grind my gears when people say "Sega's doing just fine look :Total war and Atlus!"
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:42:59 pm by Radrappy »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2015, 09:49:18 pm »
The thing is Total War has nothing to do with why SEGA Japan (and every Japanese publisher) is scaling back production on console. Its the market. Japanese people are moving away from home consoles.

Total War is a investment and so is Relic from the company. SEGA has enough money to make any game they want to make, but as a business they have to make games that viable and will return profits.

SEGA is mismanaged and they have terrible advertising. Sure. But less console titles is the trend in Japan, the only publishers still sticking hard with console are the few Japanese Sony in-house devs and Nintendo... because they are selling you consoles. Even Atlus has a majority of its titles on handheld instead of consoles.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2015, 09:55:31 pm »
Geography has nothing to do with this; nor have I ever made such a claim.  The Pokemon/Gamefreak comparison is not appropriate given that Pokemon has never existed without Nintendo.  Total War has existed without Sega, and has flourished without Sega.

The ridiculous thing about this is that I have no personal beef with Atlus or CA.  Certainly not.  But I won't lie and say it doesn't grind my gears when people say "Sega's doing just fine look :Total war and Atlus!"

But I think those ARE good indications of SEGA doing fine, having the money to buy those companies, plus they have taken on a LOT of staff and increased the size of CA. Alien Isolation for example, was created by a brand new team, all brought in by SEGA post buyout. So what would make them SEGA? If they just had a different name? The whole argument of who is and who isn't SEGA becomes really blurry as soon as you scratch the surface.
Made by SEGA

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2015, 10:03:54 pm »
So, exactly what you want from them: sequels from 10+ year old games exactly like they were back in the day or new IP's that people ultimately wouldn't care about?

Rereleasing their legacy even if people pretend to want that and buy it in a sale?

Well, Capcom could tell us what happen when you please your fanbase too much...they trend to hate us even if we release already more than 70+ Megaman games in 7 long series and we cancel 3 of them that only 2 are like niche stuff.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2015, 10:42:47 pm »
Honestly, SEGA needs to start looking at how companies like Atlus, CD Projekt, and Paradox Interactive pick and advertise games. Not only them but also the way Nintendo is reaching fans with Nintendo Direct. I know that SEGA Japan does stream events per game (Yakuza stream, Phantasy Star stream). I think SEGA needs  a clear picture day one on what games will come over and organize a pre-made stream (like Nintendo) where they announce a bulk of their games.

You know if SEGA teases a new hedgehog game all the Nintendo/non-SEGA fans will flock up on the stream just to catch a glimpse of Tails butthole. Alien fans will come to see if the new game will be shit and Total War fans will join to see what new era they will tackle.

The thing is, they have a ton of fans that are spread and don't keep up with SEGA. If they could just announce all that stuff in one stream and have quality games, that would help SEGA's brand name more than anything else and give you more eyes on your games than being buried in some Kotaku article (that will most likely bash Sonic games anyway).

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2015, 12:14:01 am »
I agree, maybe the move could allow to work closer with Atlus and see how it's done? I mean, they can't just soley rely on word of mouth/the fandom movements like with what happened with the VC port and Yakuza 5 response.  Couldn't they at least modify that UK video series they have for a more worldwide reach?

Asked Sam Mullen (SEGA of America Localization Producer) about it and he said his team isn't working on it. So I assume another localization producer at SEGA is heading it up or its being worked on by Sony.

Well now I'm a little more curious, isn't Sam leaving once the office relocates to Southern California? Is his team working on the 3DS Miku game or Dengeki Bunko? Though speaking of the latter, I'm waiting for a release date or at least a pre-order page outside of Amazon.

On a personal note with Yakuza 5, if Sony is incharge, I wonder who will be doing the localization work: inhouse or just fund the work done by one of the usual companies that SEGA uses (Pole to Win, Inbound)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:18:52 am by SuperSonicEX »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2015, 03:35:02 am »
A tonne of their greats weren't even developed in Japan, including Sonic 2..[/font]
[/font]C'Mon That's just being silly. We all that even in STI the Japanese ST worked on a seprate floor and developed the game more or less by themshelf's[/size]
They aren't even originally a Japanese company and they found their greatest success in home consoles in Europe and basically all thanks to Sega of America in the 90'
True but lets face it . SEGA Japan built and made the Hardware and really made SEGA best games for it's systems  and more people became SEGA fans to their consoles and Arcadeoutput, more than their PC or these days mobil games I put to you.  Lets face it the only reason you're a fan on SEGA on the mobiles is becasue its the one aera SEGA is doing well and its cheap . If you had a XBox One or PS4 I'm sure you would be hoping for better from SEGA Japan .
Valkyria ChroniclesYakuza
 Virtua Fighter
 Bayonetta
 Vanquish
 All games that were incredible
Well you see you're already started to lists games which weren't even developed by SEGA and its not like Bay didn't sell that bad . I'll take issues wih Vanquish being a good game too and given it had zero PR push by SEGA no online modes whats so ever - it was always going to have a hard time to sell . VF is too hardware for the masses really , Yakuza is held back but its focus on Japan and its being a single platform game and Valkyrie was a game that had a few issues - It was a game that even in Japan is a niche game , only single platform and came very early into the PS3 life when it was selling not the best - So even in Japan it was going to have a hard time and even the West most people didn't even know the game was out SEGA PR push was so rubbish - That is one game like Yakuza , that should have been multi platform. SEGA isn't making games that it's fans are really looking forward too, games where even we hear are counting down the days till it hits the streets like we used too . I couldn't wait for PSO II and even now SEGA pisses off its own fans by keeping it non console and no hope of us playing it in the west .I miss the days of when SEGA was a leader in the tech and just was out in front in the creative terms.
But I think those ARE good indications of SEGA doing fine, having the money to buy those companies, plus they have taken on a LOT of staff and increased the size of CA.

SEGA has cut the number of its In-House staff in real terms has't it . Its true to say it added to the console line of CA but CA always had a console line and that was divsion that used to make their sports games for the likes of EA on the consoles .I'm not knocking CA they're a great team and show Japan that if you make a good game, with great tech for the PC and consoles you can get over a million sales. Would you be so for Alien Iso if was mobile and iPad only I very much doubt it , But that seems to be the direction SEGA Japan is going .
Even with releasing AM2 games, Dreamcast games, Saturn games, Arcade games in the online stores there is no response whatsoever

What do you mean ?

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Nirmugen

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2015, 06:30:27 am »
I'm not trying to convice everybody but if Sega is participating in various premium conferences about the mobile business  all around the world, maybe they less powerful for doing that, I think? : https://twitter.com/yutaiguchiblog/status/585628695613833217?s=09

At least you can depend from another companies for your next gen experience with superior graphics and gameplay. Sure they didn't fuck up nothing of that last year.

What a great time this year with all this console exclusives like Halo......

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2015, 07:41:46 am »
At least you can depend from another companies for your next gen experience with superior graphics and gameplay.

I want it to be SEGA Japan . The likes of EA, Ubi and hell even Square have strong mobile arms and yet also have a big focus on the consoles too. Why can't SEGA Japan . This is just a short term messsure by Sammy and in the end will kill the console side of SEGA Japan .

What a great time this year with all this console exclusives like Halo

And what have got the look forward too on the mobile ? other than yet another candy crush rip off's :P  . This year will be a great year for games with Halo V, Rainbow Six, The Divison, Witcher III, Batman , Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fable Ledgends. That's with out any rabbits both SONY and MS pull of the hat for E3     
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2015, 07:44:00 am »
I'm not trying to convice everybody but if Sega is participating in various premium conferences about the mobile business  all around the world, maybe they less powerful for doing that, I thin

You serious .If you want to play the mobile game then there's way more  bigger players than SEGA and ask many whats their fav and most played mobile game and no doubt it be the likes of Candy Crush , Tapped out and so on . Even on Mobile SEGA aren't quite as great as you make out
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2015, 08:49:27 am »
So I suppose the likes of Smash Bros 4 (Namco/Sora LTD) Fire Emblem Awakening (Intelligent System) Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Hal Laboratory) and Pokemon Omega (GameFreak) are all Nintendo titles because people will incorrectly state them as inhouse developed titles when the respective developers are independent of the publisher?

And yet because a reviewer is incorrect or leaves out any mention of SEGA for a game developed by an inhouse studio, a subsidiary that is wholly owned by the publisher, it somehow is disqualified in being a product by SEGA? I don't see how this is a reasonable way to judge if a product is by SEGA or not.
So now since reviewers don't mention SEGA they aren't SEGA games? Is that how it works? So I assume games like Comix Zone, Vectorman and such aren't SEGA games? Is it too hard to just enjoy a good game and not worry about what other people think? SEGA created Alien Isolation in-house with their money, the same way they made Die Hard Arcade.

Who cares what reviewers say?

He's talking about perception though, right Radrappy?
He's saying he feels the public at large doesn't associate those titles with Sega so much as Valk, which I think is completely fair.
In an era where arcades are dwindling, Sega has been the only company that still made 2 high end games for the arcade the last year, it is pretty cool. I hope it is an example for their PC Online focus - and while their at it, bring it to console, thats something that TA would want.

The World of Three Kingdoms:

Wonderland Wars:
World of Three Kingdoms reminds me a bit of Kingdom Under Fire. Looks fun.

Wonderland Wars has a nice Valk style watercolor effect. Not sure what the gameplay is meant to be.

I miss arcade ports :(

1) If Atlus release a Sega IP's title, you will be pleased?

2) If we talk about Gamefreak, see what happen with their next game..Tembo.
1) If it was good, yes.
2) I don't really feel particuarly excited for that game, but I'll see how it goes. Would be surprised if it's a hit.

I missed this but I think you'd find console gamers are the ones with the most negative opinion of SEGA. Mobile gamers and PC gamers love what SEGA's become and for obvious reasons. I recall many being jubilant over SEGA purchasing Relic over at NeoGAF. A stark contrast to them purchasing Atlus, with many bemoaning the fact that Sony or Nintendo didn't purchase them instead.
I don't know about NeoGAF, but I do remember a lot of CoH fans being paranoid about Sega buying Relic. Their fears were unfounded thankfully ('Oh No! Sega is going to stop us streaming games and running tournaments!').

So, exactly what you want from them: sequels from 10+ year old games exactly like they were back in the day or new IP's that people ultimately wouldn't care about?

Rereleasing their legacy even if people pretend to want that and buy it in a sale?

Well, Capcom could tell us what happen when you please your fanbase too much...they trend to hate us even if we release already more than 70+ Megaman games in 7 long series and we cancel 3 of them that only 2 are like niche stuff.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I think most of us would love more sequels to our favourite games and Sega legacy titles.

It doesn't mean we are delusional and expect Sega to dump money into these ventures though, when Freemium Apps are making money hand over fist for them. At the same time I won't pretend I'm excited to play Crazy Taxi: City Rush (Hulk Hogan DLC does help though).

Honestly, SEGA needs to start looking at how companies like Atlus, CD Projekt, and Paradox Interactive pick and advertise games. Not only them but also the way Nintendo is reaching fans with Nintendo Direct. I know that SEGA Japan does stream events per game (Yakuza stream, Phantasy Star stream). I think SEGA needs  a clear picture day one on what games will come over and organize a pre-made stream (like Nintendo) where they announce a bulk of their games.

You know if SEGA teases a new hedgehog game all the Nintendo/non-SEGA fans will flock up on the stream just to catch a glimpse of Tails butthole. Alien fans will come to see if the new game will be shit and Total War fans will join to see what new era they will tackle.

The thing is, they have a ton of fans that are spread and don't keep up with SEGA. If they could just announce all that stuff in one stream and have quality games, that would help SEGA's brand name more than anything else and give you more eyes on your games than being buried in some Kotaku article (that will most likely bash Sonic games anyway).

Having a big stream would be relatively cheap and more effective than finding out about the game via a hastily translated famitsu article published the month after E3.

Also it would help out things like Relic's 'waypoint' streams by combining them into one big event maybe?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:50 am »
He's talking about perception though, right Radrappy?

He's saying he feels the public at large doesn't associate those titles with Sega so much as Valk, which I think is completely fair.

I know but I think that's wrong, so what if the public thinks x or y is by SEGA when it's not but z is and it's not regarded a SEGA title? I just don't get in this mess of "Well this was outsourced so not true SEGA DNA" when I don't even believe in that. I take the good and the bad, Sonic Boom is as much as a SEGA game as Alien: Isolation is as much as Thor is which is as much as Bayonetta is.

I don't know about NeoGAF, but I do remember a lot of CoH fans being paranoid about Sega buying Relic. Their fears were unfounded thankfully ('Oh No! Sega is going to stop us streaming games and running tournaments!').

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509652

You can see how many people were excited by the news.

Offline Nirmugen

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2015, 09:24:51 am »
It doesn't mean we are delusional and expect Sega to dump money into these ventures though, when Freemium Apps are making money hand over fist for them. At the same time I won't pretend I'm excited to play Crazy Taxi: City Rush (Hulk Hogan DLC does help though).

The thing is you CAN play the original Crazy Taxi in mobiles,consoles and PC and no one of them made a significant revenue yet although the Steam port was selling good with sales. But those sales was handled by Steam when they want.

As I said, there is no point to please a false fanbase in consoles anymore. Not for Sega or any dev. The reason? People in general don't buy that and "fans" are not that big to make a difference.

Maybe I'm ignorant in something but some people know how the things work this day:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159234025&postcount=993

Handling right or bad doesn't matter anymore and that's a thing we may need to swallow unpleasurably.