Author Topic: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west  (Read 65104 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: SEGA says PSO2 still coming to the west
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:14 am »
I noticed the lack of SEGA mentions in Alien: Isolation reviews, but then again the game was getting high praise and high scores. In the end I think positive perceptions are way more important than drilling it into the readers heads that it's a SEGA game. SEGA is mentioned in the little info box on places like IGN and Gamespot and SEGA is on the box, I think people get that it is a SEGA game.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:34 am »
I noticed the lack of SEGA mentions in Alien: Isolation reviews, but then again the game was getting high praise and high scores. In the end I think positive perceptions are way more important than drilling it into the readers heads that it's a SEGA game. SEGA is mentioned in the little info box on places like IGN and Gamespot and SEGA is on the box, I think people get that it is a SEGA game.
They don't.
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2015, 10:05:30 am »

It's one of those things isn't it though Barry? People were quick to dismiss and paint the Aliens: Colonial Marine trainwreck (And rightly so) on SEGA and I do remember a lot of previews for Isolation referring to people being wary of the latest offering from SEGA because of their past with the brand. Bad news or issues about x company always sticks in our mind rather than anything positive they may churn out, which is why we still get referred to the Sonic series not having a good game since 1827.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:06 am »
I know but I think that's wrong, so what if the public thinks x or y is by SEGA when it's not but z is and it's not regarded a SEGA title? I just don't get in this mess of "Well this was outsourced so not true SEGA DNA" when I don't even believe in that. I take the good and the bad, Sonic Boom is as much as a SEGA game as Alien: Isolation is as much as Thor is which is as much as Bayonetta is.

No arguments from me, I also see them all as Sega games, for better or worse.
Just saying that to the greater public people probably forget Alien is a Sega game whereas they would immediately and inseparably associate something like Valk with Sega.
I'm not trying to get into 'This is Sega, this isn't True Sega' at all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509652

You can see how many people were excited by the news.

I'm not doubting at all that people were excited, I thought it was great news personally. Was more poking fun at the paranoia of some of the fans. I was on the forums telling them that Sega openly sponsors and encourages VF5, so there is no fear regarding streaming/tournaments.

The thing is you CAN play the original Crazy Taxi in mobiles,consoles and PC and no one of them made a significant revenue yet although the Steam port was selling good with sales. But those sales was handled by Steam when they want.

Yes, but as I said it was a shit port. The music was changed, the graphics were poor and in general it was quite bad.
I still bought it on 360 and Steam. Yes, on sale, because it was a bad port but also one of my favourite games.

Handling right or bad doesn't matter anymore and that's a thing we may need to swallow unpleasurably.
We don't need to 'swallow' anything. I just buy games I like and ignore the ones I don't. This does mean the only game I bought not on deep discount in the last two years were Bayonetta 2 and Hotline Miami 2.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2015, 10:11:35 am »
No arguments from me, I also see them all as Sega games, for better or worse.
Just saying that to the greater public people probably forget Alien is a Sega game whereas they would immediately and inseparably associate something like Valk with Sega.
I'm not trying to get into 'This is Sega, this isn't True Sega' at all.

Oh I know they do, but I don't think whatever people see as SEGA or not SEGA games because they are misinformed should dictate what is or is not a SEGA title. I'm glad we are on the same page though.

I'm not doubting at all that people were excited, I thought it was great news personally. Was more poking fun at the paranoia of some of the fans. I was on the forums telling them that Sega openly sponsors and encourages VF5, so there is no fear regarding streaming/tournaments.

They should have been more worried about DLCs!

(Though I think most of it was down to THQ, but it's not like SEGA's current DLC policy is encouraging for any future sequels)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2015, 10:26:11 am »
They should have been more worried about DLCs!

(Though I think most of it was down to THQ, but it's not like SEGA's current DLC policy is encouraging for any future sequels)
Yeah I feel like the DLC plan was in place long before Sega took the reigns. TO be honest, I think CoH2's DLC isn't quite as bad as Rome 2's anyway. Locking out entire factions is horse-shit.

CoH2 does affect multiplayer which is really bad, but I don't feel the game has the chops to be real 'e-sports' worthy anyway. It's good and really fun, but has severe balancing issues and overall I feel it relies a lot on RNG factors. The fact they've released some outrageous DLC only to nerf it a month later has been frustrating for the community though.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2015, 12:36:29 pm »
I feel like this discussion has wound down in a relatively civil way which is good.  I never meant to get into a dogmatic debate about what IS or ISNT "sega."  Nor do I care what the public perception is. 

The only perception I care about is my own and it's as follows: I'm unhappy with Sega's current output and don't consider Alien games, Persona games, or TW games to be a valid replacement for the kinds of games I fell in love with this company for in the first place.  This isn't just about appreciating high quality games; if that were the case this website would just be called "good-gamesbits."  Sega has/had a distinctive flavor.  What that means to you is of course, subjective. 

Basically, if CA were tasked with making a new altered beast, virtual on, or shining force I would be much, much happier. Or!  or!  Or heck even a new ip!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:47:26 pm by Radrappy »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2015, 01:21:22 pm »
I think we are just feeling the 'Nomad' SEGA effect years later and what your really calling 'lack of perception' = lack of in house Japanese games. But even then, no one purchases said games and SEGA has been badly marketing them. SEGA gave Rhythm Thief a chance (a in-house rhythm game) before the whole Miku thing and it failed. Miku did good. The list goes on. My only point is that if people bought good games, they would continue to do said games.

As for what you think 'SEGA' is, that is subjective. Why is Football Manager less of a SEGA game than, lets say, NFL 2K? SEGA always did western aimed titles.... always. You aren't mad that they are still doing it, your mad that people actually buy those Western titles and ignore Japanese titles.

This is a problem that the whole Japanese industry is facing, including Capcom, Konami and such. They all cut their mainland franchises and are aiming at more 'western style games'. Do you think Dark Souls looks Japanese in style? Dragon's Dogma? Dead Rising? Even Resident Evil turned into more of a 3rd person action shooter co-op game (that was really popular thanks to Gears of War).

Do I wish SEGA could release new Japanese in-house ips in the West that rival Jet Set Radio, Rez, and the such? Of course, but it won't happen because no one purchases said games.

In the end its about sales. Why would Creative Assembly want to work on a Altered Beast game (come on, that game wasn't even good) when it will come with restrictions (gotta be true to the IP) and fan whining? Why not just continue doing their Total War games that sell 2+ million guaranteed or do a new IP? Why does it have to be a old IP? When did SEGA dip into IPs so much?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:23:49 pm by George »

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2015, 01:52:01 pm »
I 100% agree with you, George.

The fact that even with a new release of an old IP, fanside consumers still complaining about everything despite quality and effort and that hurts sales very much because we are the demanding side, not the  general public.

If it doesn't work, that project fail miserably.

Of course the SoA Marketing was poor, but the Miku games hasn't sold too bad and that's because there is a loyal consumers to buy that stuff and was marketed as a niche title...just like every thing Sega old IP's need to do even freakin Yakuza..

Heck, even we will get the new game before Japan do it!!

Be careful, I was talking about Miku last paragraph xD

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »
The fact that even with a new release of an old IP, fanside consumers still complaining about everything despite quality and effort and that hurts sales very much because we are the demanding side, not the  general public.

Which release of an old IP are you referring to specifically?

Also I don't get this whole 'blame the consumer' thing. If people don't want to buy, they won't buy, I'm not running a charity to support Sega. It's their job to make products consumers want to buy, not a moral obligation of consumers to buy their products.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2015, 02:05:43 pm »
Exactly MadeMan, SEGA (and the Japanese industry) IS putting out a product that consumers will buy and those products aren't Japanese style games, but western style games.

Facts are: No in-house Japanese developed game since going 3rd party have sold more than a single entry of Total War, Football Manager or Relic's Dawn of War/Company of Heroes games.

A business replies to consumer demands and there isn't a demand for Japanese in-house developed titles outside of a minor vocal group online and that group is spread (aka: I want Shenmue, I want Streets of Rage, I want Jet Set Radio 3).

I agree 100%, consumers aren't here for 'charity' and a company like here isn't here to please 20,000 people while losing money. Just how it goes.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »
I was talking specifically about Nimurgen talking about how
fanside consumers still complaining about everything despite quality and effort and that hurts sales very much because we are the demanding side

When sometimes it's just not a very good product. Of course people will complain if they don't like it.

I'm not even sure what this thread is discussing anymore to be honest.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:27:30 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2015, 03:22:20 pm »
Well, putting and reversing to the thread title, if PSO2 was released, despite that there is a "demand" for that game, people who played PSO and who like to compare everything as a whole matter will be talking shit and disregard everything for F2P game not for them. Despite that the game is having a really good time, appreciation and more right now in Japan and by 700+ people including me who play the game with the english patch.

That how it goes. I don't know if it is a good idea to release a 100% direct sequel to a 10+ year old game but fan of that thing always have a voice in the internet and ruin everything.

See what happened with the "sucess" of Megaman 9 and later the "fall" of Megaman 10.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2015, 02:43:47 am »
Facts are: No in-house Japanese developed game since going 3rd party have sold more than a single entry of Total War, Football Manager or Relic's Dawn of War/Company of Heroes games.

Some of the Sonic Games , but that's it . I've been saying for years SEGA Japan needed to get more IP than can work and sell worldwide

PSO and who like to compare everything as a whole matter will be talking shit and disregard everything for F2P game not for them.

I hate F2P ..1) becasue nothing is free and in end you could pay far more to play a game than what it would cost you at normal retail price. 2) what happens when the likes of SEGA pull the plug if the game bombs - You left with a game you might love but can't play . Some might have loved Demon Tribe but you can't play it at all , thanks to SEGA dropping the title .

Exactly MadeMan, SEGA (and the Japanese industry) IS putting out a product that consumers will buy and those products aren't Japanese style games, but western style games.

Yes and this is somthing SEGA used to be quite good at , more so in the Arcades . The likes of SEGA Rally, Daytona, OutRun , Streets of Rage , Mickey Mouse and so on were all made with massive western infulances or with the west in mind. In fact with the Mega Drive doing so poor in Japan and so well in the USA/Europe most of SOJ output for the machine was made with an eye to the West . Shame SOJ can't go back to those sort of days ....

No interest in SEGA on the mobile , but I would love to see a SEGA Japan working on a next gen Shinobi Action game, a Huge Sonic game (even if its just reuses the best stages from Sonic Adv , Sonic Adv II and Unleashed, Colors with just a kick ass engine , a true PSO II for the consoles with improved engine , Border Break with new maps and a consumer mode, Binary Domain II this time with more big boss battles and a full 4 player on-line co-op modes and mabe even a high end remake of Skies using a new Canvas II engine  all for the XBox 1,PS4 and PC

To me that would start to please a lot of the old SEGA fans, wouldn'tcost the earth and one would like to imagine SEGA Japan is more than capable for doing it

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »

A business replies to consumer demands and there isn't a demand for Japanese in-house developed titles outside of a minor vocal group online and that group is spread (aka: I want Shenmue, I want Streets of Rage, I want Jet Set Radio 3).

I agree 100%, consumers aren't here for 'charity' and a company like here isn't here to please 20,000 people while losing money. Just how it goes.

Super Monkey Ball and Virtua Fighter both averaged more than the typical Football Manager I would have thought.