Author Topic: Sonic Generations Demo - 23rd of June!  (Read 28241 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sonic Generations Demo - 23rd of June!
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2011, 01:36:12 pm »
I dont think Sonic appeared to small in fact I think if the screen got any closer you wouldnt be able to see what was coming at high speed.

What they really should do is try and make Sonic/rings/badniks stand out a bit more from the background. Possibly a slight aura around rings, brighten up the badniks and make the colours of the stage less reflective on Sonic. (Sometimes when standing in bright grass he goes greenish)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 01:03:21 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I dont think Sonic appeared to small in fact I think if the screen got any closer you wouldnt be able to see what was coming at high speed.

What they really should do is try and make Sonic/rings/badniks stand out a bit more from the background. Possibly a slight aura around rings, brighten up the badniks and make the colours of the stage less reflective on Sonic. (Sometimes when standing in bright grass he goes greenish)

They could do something as simple a fading the background a bit to make it appear further away. Maybe blur some details.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 07:45:45 am »
I remember Sonic Fan Remix had the same issue, and the creator lightened the background a bit and it helped immensely.

Still, Generations >>>>>>> SFR

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2011, 11:03:20 am »
^visualy, defenitly

Here a speedrun cammed from summer of sonic which demonstrates the spindash drift.

[youtube:qjmee7c7]x5_V4QR0q0s[/youtube:qjmee7c7]

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »
I found that SOnic fan remake or what ever it was called looked hiddious, there was some good ideas like with things happening in the background but the forground looked completely unsonic, clutters and ugly. It looked like it was built on the Unreal Engine or something.

On another note, That Spin Dash Drift looks AWESOME, This is the way to do drifting from now on I think... I love it.
Made by SEGA

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:55 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I'd prefer if the camera remained where it was at the beginning of the stage

I hope not, I feel ridiculously uncomfortable/claustrophobic when the demo starts, and much less so when the camera zooms out.

Offline Bex

• Total Meseta: 0
    • http://girlgamers.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2011, 04:54:46 pm »
I became really dizzy when the camera zoomed out :s. That said, I've still played it over a few times. Shame it expires so soon though (well almost 2 weeks away but, still).

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 09:26:04 am »
If you unplug the Xbox 360 (which resets the time) and do not sign on Xbox Live, the demo still works and has no timer on it. Sonic Team really rushed this demo out the door, it seems.

Seeing a lot of comments that bring in a lot of opinions though.

First, I absolutely do NOT want long boss battles. Lately Sonic Team has been going nuts with these and ruin so many of their last sections of their games. EGG Station Zone would have been fantastic if the last boss only needed to get hit 10 or so times instead of like ... 50. Sonic Unleashed's boss was literally like an hour long and was the worst thing in the game easily. Only Sonic Colors did the last boss right, where the other ones were dull or just outright awful/boring.

Screw you Sharky, Marble Garden Zone is nowhere near the worst level in a Sonic game.

The spindash is obviously way overpowered and shitty. You should at least have to rev it up a few times. The same with the general rolling. I can understand that the physics are kind of wonky on ledges, but they could at least let you roll from the B/O button if it is ducking. It should also let you pick up speed.

The Spin Dash Drift is awesome. I am one of the only ones who actually liked the drift in Unleashed, but this just blows it away. Now we just need him to roll instead of sliding on his back.

On art, I like the graphics a lot, but the colors are way too vivid in Green Hill Zone, especially for Classic Sonic. City Escape does not really have this problem because it was always designed with 3D in mind. Changing the camera would not effect much, but I just wish you could zoom in to see his waiting animations better.

On the list of levels, [spoiler:mhi3ctus]I am sure everyone is disappointed with the list, even the biggest fans are shrugging it off, but I think each level best represents each respective game. The only exception is Sky Sanctuary Zone which is actually a really lame choice unless it has a bit of Lava Reef Zone and Death Egg Zone and that bit leading into it.

Besides Sky Sanctuary Zone I am only really otherwise surprised with Planet Wisp when I expected something like EGG Station Zone instead. I think that would have been a neat way to look at the series full circle. Otherwise, the level seems forced (you can tell it is the latest addition. Assets from every level EXCEPT it are in the demo in some form), probably because they expected Sonic 4 to be the better received game and Sonic Team rather pass that off as a spinoff now instead of Colors.

How the bosses are aligned is very disappointing if that is the correct order. If anything, Death Egg should be the last section, not one of the first. However, I am wondering if something like Stardust Speedway Zone is connected to Chemical Plant Zone? I mean, they have somewhat similar design, the same can be said about Radical Highway as Shadow's boss battle, it is obviously connected to City Escape... As long as I get my Modern Sonic race with Metal Sonic, I am satisfied.

I stand by saying I think this game will be great, but I am only really excited to see Chemical Plant Zone and Speed Highway. The list of missions hints at water sections in Ocean Palace Zone, so that could be a cool way to mix up that fairly boring level. I am also thinking Iblis will be in the background destroying sections of the level or something in Crisis City.[/spoiler:mhi3ctus]

So yeah, could be better, but it really seems like they are trying very hard. This is the first Sonic game in a long while that I have seen an extreme amount of passion behind from both Sonic Team and the fans alike. It also seems like the first Sonic game since like... Sonic & Knuckles that will not be embarrassing to show other people to. I am excited.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 10:26:36 am »
Watching that Green Hill Video reminds me of one of the Problems that Colors has, that the Background looks like could be part of the actual Level,that you can't go to.That shoudn't happen, Unleashed and City Escape in this game don't have this problem.

[spoiler:1uikguiz]And about long Bossfights being long, I'm sure they are this one, with Metal Sonic,Death Egg and Perfect Chaos just being pretty major terms as bossfights.

And I actually think Sky Sanctuary works really well as a representative for Sonic 3&Knuckles, since it has Angel Island flying and the Death Egg in the Backgrounds,and has the Master Emerald, also it's a pretty major Story Point.

Speed Highway seems the most odd one to me,since it seems like the least neutral in terms of being an representative for the game,it's more like a Fan-Favourite.[/spoiler:1uikguiz]

mod edit: Had to put the above in spoilerz, sorry dude!

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »
Quote from: "Trippled"
Watching that Green Hill Video reminds me of one of the Problems that Colors has, that the Background looks like could be part of the actual Level,that you can't go to.That shoudn't happen, Unleashed and City Escape in this game don't have this problem.

Colors had a really bad issue with flat boring levels. Most of the interesting bits were in the background where you could not reach them.

But with Generations I think it is only really in issue in that the backgrounds can get a bit too chaotic and it is hard to focus on certain elements. I think they should have focused on water more than mountains, but I like that they are trying to mix it up. It is the first level of the game anyways, so with not many hazards in your way I cannot imagine it being that much of an issue later on. Maybe [spoiler:h9bmruvm]Crisis City[/spoiler:h9bmruvm] will be hard to see, but otherwise the rest seem fine.

[spoiler:h9bmruvm]And about long Bossfights being long, I'm sure they are this one, with Metal Sonic,Death Egg and Perfect Chaos just being pretty major terms as bossfights.[/spoiler:h9bmruvm]

[spoiler:h9bmruvm]I can understand, but I am just worried they will ruin it all. I mean, Perfect Chaos should not be beaten in like a full minute, but I do not want to spend half an hour on just him alone. That kind of length was really the biggest reason people hated the werehog.

For Metal Sonic... I am fully calling shenanigans if Metal Sonic is not a race. What a hugely missed chance that would be.[/spoiler:h9bmruvm]

[spoiler:h9bmruvm]And I actually think Sky Sanctuary works really well as a representative for Sonic 3&Knuckles, since it has Angel Island flying and the Death Egg in the Backgrounds,and has the Master Emerald, also it's a pretty major Story Point.

Speed Highway seems the most odd one to me,since it seems like the least neutral in terms of being an representative for the game,it's more like a Fan-Favourite.[/spoiler:h9bmruvm]

[spoiler:h9bmruvm]Sky Sanctuary Zone was really only interesting because of what it lead from and what proceeded it. I am excited Eggrobo is in the game, but that alone is not enough to take the sting away of what could have really been a much cooler selection. Especially with how crazy Sonic Team likes to be with bottomless pits, I just have a really bad feeling about this level. Everyone really wanted Ice Cap Zone though, people have been asking for a new level based around it since the 90s, before Sonic Team even hinted at other games, like NiGHTS.

I would say Speed Highway represents the bold, brash style Sonic Adventure was trying to represent really well. It was the best known level in the game for people I think, most trailers, commercials and stuff point to it a lot. Running down the building was the most viewed scene in the game before it's release and the big spiral after the helicopter part was the most well documented screenshot they released and most viewed, I am pretty sure it was even the biggest one on the back of the box too.

Plus, it is pretty unique from the other city levels, where as this is more of a highway level and less of a general city setting. Cannot wait to see this level with the At Dawn part included (fingers crossed!) in HD![/spoiler:h9bmruvm]

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2011, 12:30:10 pm »
I personally loved the demo. Can't wait for the second one where we get to play as Modern Sonic. =)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:54 pm »
PS: This time for Iizuka-san. Some of the more recent Sonic games have been criticized for being rushed such as Sonic The Hedgehog for 360 and PS3 and more recently Sonic Unleashed. I was wondering what the internal pressure was like from within SEGA to release the games quickly?

TI: As you can imagine Sonic titles are really important for both SEGA and their dev teams and because Sonic is loved by very different demographics from small kids to adults it can be difficult to make a game to please both. We have quite a lot of pressure to finish the product on time so we can hit the release date which is usually in time for Christmas. Particularly since our main platforms have moved to Xbox 360 and PS3 it takes quite a lot of time to polish games on these Next Gen consoles. But like with Sonic Unleashed and now Sonic Generations there is a lot of pressure to release on time.  It’s usually around this time of year that we try to finalise the games and cram in time for the final checks so that the quality of the game is of a level that we can be happy with.

source : http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/07/exc ... hi-iizuka/

reading stuff like this is super depressing.  It's not a mystery to anyone that these games are rushed out for christmas.  It's really going to only damage the quality of the game.  Imagine what they could do with a decent production time line.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2011, 02:43:18 pm »
Quote from: "Radrappy"
source : http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/07/exc ... hi-iizuka/

reading stuff like this is super depressing. It's not a mystery to anyone that these games are rushed out for christmas. It's really going to only damage the quality of the game. Imagine what they could do with a decent production time line.

Sonic Team usually are given 2 years, or more, to make a decent game, as much as anyone in the industry barring a developer working directly under a console manufacturer. Planning for Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 started directly after or soon after Sonic Heroes, so at the very least 2 years was spent on that, the same being for Sonic Generations.

So yes, they have been given a decent amount of time, the fault usually lies in their design choices.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »
^Yeah, no matter which way you slice it, some ideas are just fucking horrible.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2011, 05:46:37 pm »
One reason I think Ice Cap would've been a good choice is if was more of a mixture between the Sonic 3 and Adventure versions. Kinda fits with the idea of classic and modern Sonic in one game (but what do I know?)