Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 164119 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Sonic Generations General Discussion
« Reply #360 on: October 25, 2011, 03:46:00 pm »
Yes, I can now finally play the Generations demo!

8% and counting...

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #361 on: October 26, 2011, 03:07:31 am »
OH OH SHAZAM!
new screenshots http://www.famitsu.com/news/201110/images/00052202/hqVN96CXBZ5f9Y25l41KD97CQ963x736.html
featuring the Shadow boss battle.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline max_cady

« Reply #362 on: October 26, 2011, 04:12:01 am »
'Kay, guys, I played the demo that features both classic and modern.

I know this is work-in-progress demo, but and when I say this hopefully it's just me, I'm assuming my muscle memory is a little shaky right now, but I felt almost insecure and uneasy with the way Sonic handles, it feels a little slippery, but other than that it plays fine.

Classic Sonic plays like a charm too.

At least, I think it's my muscle memory, because I was playing Sonic 4: Episode I last night and kept losing lifes in places where I normally don't screw up.

I like how you no longer have to hit shoulder buttons to switch rails, which is great.

Definately looking foward to this.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #363 on: October 26, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
Quote from: Pao
I didn't play the last demo, but from the footage I've seen for modern Sky Sanctuary, I think Sonic Team has never been this close to achieving my "ideal" Sonic 3D game.

Finally they decided to introduce a lot of 3D platforming, something that annoyed me in Unleashed and especially Colors is that you have to switch to 2D to do platforming, its like the team can't introduce compelling 3D platforming at all.

But things are different from the latest Generations footage, not only the level design works great for the 3D platforming, the camera also positions itself nicely. 

It still looks rough around the edges, but I think if they improve the movement on how Sonic controls, put in more platforming elements and gimmicks and generally better level design... I think that will be a perfect 3D Sonic game.

Generations is the step in the right direction as far as 3D Sonic is concerned.

I also think that if the PC version is mod-friendly, the community will make the game a lot better (adjusted physics, new levels, etc...)

Yes, it is indeed a big jump for Sonic, but it kind of makes half of the game weird at the same time, like are those last 10 years of games really worth celebrating at all?

Although I am very happy the 3D platforming is getting more attention now, exploration is fairly low. You kind of just keep going if you missed the higher path, you know what I mean? In the Genesis games, even sometimes in Sonic Adventure you could go back and look elsewhere, with no camera controls in Generations (literally none at all), I am worried that future titles will have even less of this. I really miss the adventure fields...

On the topic of hacking, I am very excited for a lot of things. One is that if you try to go backwards in the last section of the modern level, you will see a lot of stuff not visable before, like a whole other waterfall. They should have had a mirror mode where you play going backwards, but I hope hackers add this.

Rather silly,  For one its keeping faith with classic that you can finished the classic Sonic  so early , just like MD sonic and then there's the fact that no-one would put up  with the modern Sonic demo's being able to be finished in under 40 sec's , where more or less as soon as you pick up full speed the level would finish (it would be slated if such a broken mechanic was in place)
That's looking over you haven't played the latter classic 2D sections where more and more platforming came in, just like with the MD Sonic, which were very simple and basic with Sonic and Sonic II, but got much deeper with Sonic III ECT

I'm sure Uranus you're just posting such silly nonsense to wind people and get a response and its works tbf  ;D

Of course, any problems anyone has with Sonic Team is a trolling effort, you found me out!   ::)

What about Labyrinth Zone? That was a shockingly vertical set of levels. Scrap Brain Zone also had some very clever (and not so clever) layout designs, not basic at all.

Quote from: Sharky
I don't think they are trying to make one sonic seem better than the other at all, I think they are doing what Sonic fans requested- making a bare bone classic Sonic experience with very little in the way of moves. The problem is that in this day and age people do expect more to their games than jump and roll.

Oh? Well, then that would explain why New Super Mario Brothers Wii outsold both "Deeper" Super Mario Galaxy titles combined or how Donkey Kong Country Returns has outsold every game in the series after the Super Nintendo games or how Street Fighter IV practically reinvented and reinvigorated the genre by almost entirely emulating Street Fighter II, but I digress.

I would love to see the classic mode have some new moves but still be in a 2D perspective with physics based gameplay. I'm not really apposed to things like double jumping, stomp, bounce, shit even the homing attack as a pick up item would be cool.

While I can easily agree many classic fans are stuck in the past, modern fans are just as bad, thinking elements like Wisps are necessary going forward. In the classic games, the sheilds were all optional and changed very little as to what you could do. As the series progressed, too many ideas were forced into one with games like Heroes and 06 being the worst offenders.

The original Sonic trilogy was very deep. The way the engine works is very unique and the level design needs to run hand in hand with this to really express itself. Things like Wisps do not evolve this design, they specifically hold back the game as not only do you have to unlock some and revisit past locations, but you also need to specifically design the levels with them in mind instead of Sonic's basic elements. For instance, in the classic games you would have to speed up and then roll to break a wall, but with something like Wisps (not necessarily them, just unlockable moves in general) you would just grab that item located right next to the wall and then use it to crash through it. If you did not unlock that move then you have to go back to the level later. Any character would be able to do something like this, Sonic Team keeps giving less and less identity to each character like this, like why do we see Amy running at a similar speed to Sonic now?

Which is not to say I hate Wisps. I think they were great for just their one spinoff, but if they tried to introduce them again people would find it dull and uninteresting. Like the light speed dash, it seems so awkward and out of place now for Sonic to randomly follow a line of rings in the air. Now it is all scripted, so there is only ever like just one line of rings in a level you need to go through, and they respawn in some games now too. This concept should be abandoned.

You're right, but those are the best for the best of XBLA/PSN games are of high quality. They're anything but amateur, it isn’t a case of Sonic Generations being bad its those particular games being of very high quality.

I still would say Sonic Generations is a far better game in pretty much every aspect.

Well I am glad you never thought of looking up the games at all, because they are just fairly basic games with the exception of Super Meat Boy just came out within the past month and are very low key releases.

Sonic Generations in comparison is a retail game with over 100 people working on it, a much larger budget, publisher and general scope. It also is hard to compare because it builds off of 20 years of progress and failures. The fact that people can compare these types of games at all is fairly upsetting.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #364 on: October 26, 2011, 03:32:28 pm »
Well, I finally have gotten to play the new demo and I greatly enjoyed it. Modern Sonic's gameplay is just as fun as it was in Unleashed but some of the fine tuning has made it even better. Definitely going to be playing Sonic Generations like crazy next week  and I'll be loving every minute of it.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

« Reply #365 on: October 26, 2011, 05:12:05 pm »
Played the demo and I guess I was completely off last night. Don't know what I was on last night, but the controls felt tight. Both version of the stage are great, but yeah, as pretty as it looks, the design is kinda dull. In Modern Sonic there's a lot of cool looking stuff, but if you spam the boost button it will all just pass by.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #366 on: October 26, 2011, 05:41:19 pm »
FIFTY minutes of gameplay. LOTS shown including opening cutscene, Crisis City, Perfect Chaos and more: http://www.justin.tv/jackign/b/298441858

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #367 on: October 26, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »
FIFTY minutes of gameplay. LOTS shown including opening cutscene, Crisis City, Perfect Chaos and more: http://www.justin.tv/jackign/b/298441858

Oooh. So tempting. But I must resist, I want the rest of the game to be a surprise for me.  ;)
Thank you all the same Barry. :) :)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #368 on: October 26, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »
A little tease: at 16 minutes in you can hear a remix of Sonic 3 & Knuckles Balloon Park. :D

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #369 on: October 26, 2011, 07:28:29 pm »
A little tease: at 16 minutes in you can hear a remix of Sonic 3 & Knuckles Balloon Park. :D

Sweet. I love what they've been doing for this game's soundtrack. I'm eager to see if there will be even more classic tunes hidden in Sonic Generations!
Unlimited Continues:

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #370 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »
Thats a lot of words Sanus.

I'm not at all shocked that Super Mario Brothers Wii outsold Mario Galaxy. The way NSMBW was marketed in the UK at least painted it as the next WiiSports in terms of family friendly casual gaming, it also got a lot more adverts than Mario Galaxy. But thats beside the point, Super Mario Brothers Wii didn't play much like the classics at all it was a Co-op focused, piss easy game and talk about off physics, NSMBW was one of the most floaty games ever and nothing like the originals.

All the games you mentioned did exactly what I think the classic Sonic games should do, recapture the fun of the classics whilst moving forward with the best ideas of the past 15 or so years. Sonic fans did not want that, they wanted Sonic straight out of Sonic 2 from a 17 year old game. That is what Sega tried to emulate and thats why it is pretty barebone.

I have better things to do than look up XBLA/PSN games I'd only heard of Super Meat Boy and just assumed the other ones you named were of the same calibur. In all honesty I don't understand this argument games like Braid and Super Meat Boy have been compared to Mario... I don't see the big deal of comparing great XBLA games retail games. A good game is a good game and Sonic Generations, im my opinion is better than those games.
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #371 on: October 27, 2011, 07:58:26 am »
I finally checked out the new Demo last night.

I'v got to say, there's a certain something about blasting through the Green Hill Zone in a modern Sonic game that just makes me beam with nerdy, nostalgic joy.  I loved how you could see so many different paths to take, and even if you miss them, it's just incentive to play through again. Great level design :).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #372 on: October 27, 2011, 08:15:02 am »
I finally checked out the new Demo last night.

I'v got to say, there's a certain something about blasting through the Green Hill Zone in a modern Sonic game that just makes me beam with nerdy, nostalgic joy.  I loved how you could see so many different paths to take, and even if you miss them, it's just incentive to play through again. Great level design :).

I'm sure the red rings will give even more reason to explore the multiple paths. I'm guessing it's impossible to get all the red rings one go through as they probably put one on one path, and one on another.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #373 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:24 am »
@Barry: That seems pretty likely.
I'm really loving the bits of design they're carrying forward from Sonic 4 and Colours. In most Sonic games, I usually just find my way to the end, and don't worry too much about my times. But I can actually see myself replaying these levels over and over for better times, just like I did in 4 and Colours.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #374 on: October 27, 2011, 09:38:51 am »
What about Labyrinth Zone? That was a shockingly vertical set of levels. Scrap Brain Zone also had some very clever (and not so clever) layout designs, not basic at all.

Again very silly

If these 'said' levels were in the demo in 2D form and it only took a min to finish them, you'll have a point. Not just like Sonic the 1st level was really simple and that was the case for Sonic Gen . Staying really true the original classic

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure