Author Topic: Sega's MMO, Card and Simulation games in mobile and Arcade...  (Read 10646 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Sega's MMO, Card and Simulation games in mobile and Arcade...
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »
The most famous and of course pioneering Online Sega game is PSO, but SEGA did have many networked games in the arcades since then. And internally, alot of developers actually developed these kinds of games. You could say that, for a while, most of Sega's budget for internal staff, went into these kind of games (and the whole arcade division in general), after the Dreamcast died.
It's funny how really relevant Online, Card and Simulation games are relevant these days, while in the early 2000's it wasn't even ignored. Sega thinking ahead as usual.
Many might be mad that Sega didn't focus on console games coming out in the West, but as it is, these games were and are a huge success.

Derby Owners Club

This horse racing simulator has pretty much become a classic in Sega's Arcade line-up. Still operating today, and has been since 2000. Ports happened on smartphones, and a PC port that operated in Japan for 2 years.

World Club Championship Football

This Soccer-sim game with cards, started the card craze in arcades. Also has been operating since a long time. Since 2002 to be exact, and also a money maker and classic by Sega. Sega is probably the only company with 3 football sims going. Football Manager, Let's make a Soccer Club! and this game.

Mushingking, Love and Berry and Dinosaur King

Mushiking made SEGA ALOT of money. So much so, that Sega considerss it their last really big financial success (source: their 2013 financial report). All of 3 of these kid based card games, got DS ports.

The Key of Avalon

Sega's first giant cabinet networked game, outside of Sports and Sims. Basicilly an "adult" version of their kids games, it doesn't only have the monster fights but also a Board game. The "Key" refers to the Holder that other players have to get, so a Capture the Flag situation. It got a port similar Derby Owners Club, it was on PC in Japan and operated for 2 years. Operated and got updates from 2003 to 2008.

Quest of D

A PSO-clone pretty much with a middleages or Diablo skin. The loot was basicilly the cards. Operated and updated from 2004-2008

Sangokushi Taisen

Sega took their football card game and put a Dynasty Warriors skin on it. A huge success, and still one of their top earners. In 2009, it turned into Sengoku Taisen. And went from being Chinese-themed to Japan-themed. Still operating today. Given it's giant success over these years, it got a DS port, a smartphone port, and a PC port was cancelled.
This isn't Sega's first RTS, they did Hundred Swords on the Dreamcast, which also went online. It came out in the UK on PC.

Shining Force Cross

After Sega stopped operating Quest of D, they quickly created the follow-up with using the Shining brand. You can easily look at videos of this, and see the similarity of PSO. If you look closely, they only changed newmen for elves and CAST for birdmen. Still going today.

Border Break

Probably the most popular game from all of these. People would like a port of this the most. Constantly updated since 2009, and 2015 they even have a Grand Prix in Japan.

Code of Joker

A monster battle card game with no actual physical cards. It's linked with The Key of the Avalon, with the same developers.

The World of Three Kingdoms

When the Taisen games went into japanese history, Sega did a real time action based on the classic Chinese Novel of "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms".

Wonderland Wars

An Arcade MOBA game controlled with a stylus, which is their latest announced game.

Sega continued that trend with various games on the iOS and Android.
Kingdom Conquest is a famous one, that's also been released on the west. Samurai Bloodshow, Demon Tribe, Dragon Coins, Chain Chronicles etc. are other ones. Not to forget The World of End Ecplise from the Valkyria Chronicles developers coming this year. Sega has a lot of games operating on the Arcade on Mobile. While on PC and console, there really only ever was PSO.

Alot of information and depictions of these can't be find on regurarely wikis. So I searched on old articles, smaller blogs and so on.

Article on Derby Owners Club
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_3/17-A-Horse-of-a-Different-Color
Article on WCCF
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sports-gaming-in-japan-world-club-champion-football/1100-6233603/
Blog post on The Key of Avalon from 2004
http://radio-weblogs.com/0118995/categories/gaming/2003/08/16.html#a125
A pretty recent article on the DS port of Sangokushi Taisen
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/matters_of_import_conflict_is_always_on_the_cards_in_segas_sangokushi_taisen_ten
A review of Border Break
http://www.mechadamashii.com/reviews/reviews-border-break-910/
Blogpost The World of Three Kingdoms
http://shinjuforest.blogspot.co.at/2013/10/upcoming-sega-arcade-game-world-of.html
Wonderland Wars
http://www.gamesinasia.com/sega-announces-new-arcade-moba-title-wonderland-wars/

Also there is a Youtube podcast talks about Quest of D (and also Dragon Treasure, a coin pusher arcade game, which was the base for something like Dragon Coins). Time stamp at 30:43 where they begin to talk about Japanese arcade games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyRitp5-fmE#t=1844

Oh, and the OST for these game is easily findable.

So overall thoughts? Overall most of these really never get even aknowledged, it's pretty much the most obscure type of game. Not only are they Japan only, but in arcades only. And unlike most tradional arcade games, they have a language barrier.
Should they be ported and translated, especially with the Free2Play craze and success of PSO2?

IMO with the popularity of MOBAs and 3rd person shooters, Wonderland Wars and Border Break, are games perfect for PC.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Sega's MMO, Card and Simulation games in mobile and Arcade...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:12:11 pm »
Border Break
After Burner Climax
HOTD 4
Let's Go Jungle
Primeval hunt
And I don't care how old it is...but I need Ocean hunter on something other than an obscure arcade.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:18:38 pm »
So overall thoughts? Overall most of these really never get even aknowledged, it's pretty much the most obscure type of game. Not only are they Japan only, but in arcades only. And unlike most tradional arcade games, they have a language barrier.
Should they be ported and translated, especially with the Free2Play craze and success of PSO2?

We've mentioned and discussed these games a lot in Segabits..at least i have...but these games are more japan centric and was spinning on the card phenomenon that Pokemon started and Yu Gi Oh heavily cashed in on. It didn't appeal to the usual Sega gamer and it turned others off with their countless updates.

SANGOKUSHI TAISEN got a PC online game from Sega China...for that market only.

MUSHI KING and LOVE AND BERRY were big hits for Sega but for some reason the company is not good at maintaining character based titles like they are with titles that isn't about any character at all.

They just took the card based thing and spun it into different arcade games which became popular in japan and asia...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:32:20 pm by ROJM »

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and throw in Sega's Card Gen MLB games.
Add a my player, Dynasty/franchise, season modes and please save us from the mediocrity that is the MLB 2K baseball series.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 12:06:08 am »
Key of Avalon always looked really cool to me, I love the art on some of the cards.

Is there any more info on that new Fantasy one with the stylus? Looks interesting!
Made by SEGA

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:06:55 am »
Key of Avalon always looked really cool to me, I love the art on some of the cards.

Is there any more info on that new Fantasy one with the stylus? Looks interesting!

Gameplay videos on Wonderland Wars is easy to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eziwnDwB3ts

I read an Interview with Kenji Kanno on Crazy Taxi: City Rush in a german magazine. Some might be asking what he did between the Crazy Taxi releases. Well he did work on card games mostly...Dinosaur King, WCCF and also MLB Card-Gen.

@ROJM

Card games as online games are now more popular than ever, take a look at Blizzard Hearthstone on PC. Sega could follow that trend. In the mid 2000's these games didn't make much sense in a western market (altough they did do PSO Episode III)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:31:24 am »
@ROJM

Card games as online games are now more popular than ever, take a look at Blizzard Hearthstone on PC. Sega could follow that trend. In the mid 2000's these games didn't make much sense in a western market (altough they did do PSO Episode III)

Sure they are. What i meant to the dedicated Sega arcade gamer who followed or only play Sega arcade games like myself, got tired of these type of games and wanted more diversity. We saw it as the asian gambling culture creeping into the arcades..and in a way ended up dominating the arcade space for a long time.

Because you have to COLLECT all these frigging cards just to even get a decent match in some of the games. And it just wasn't our bag. The first few games were ok but then it became an explosion. They did their job though because it attracted the average players into the arcades of japan,Singapore etc.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:35:51 am by ROJM »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 10:20:21 am »
That Wonderland game looks brilliant! Why haven't I heard of this?! We really need someone on Segabits staff that is clued in on the Arcade scene because I feel a lot of stuff is going unnoticed here in the West.
Made by SEGA

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 05:04:59 pm »
That Wonderland game looks brilliant! Why haven't I heard of this?! We really need someone on Segabits staff that is clued in on the Arcade scene because I feel a lot of stuff is going unnoticed here in the West.

The SEGANerds twitter usually upload A LOT of information about SEGA even the most "irrelevant", you should really follow them if you have twitter.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »
Yeah, especially if you want your feed spammed with thirty photos in one hour when they could just give their source and a link to the gallery they're pulling from. :P