Author Topic: Sega Saturn issues  (Read 2343 times)

Offline RetroBish15

• Total Meseta: 0
Sega Saturn issues
« on: February 09, 2021, 08:13:52 pm »
Hi. I have 2 sega saturns that I got off ebay. Both were listed as non working/not tested. saturn A had a bad laser and saturn B had this other issue. Saturn B would read the games no problem and then load them (I tested it with a real copy of all star hockey) the sega license screen would show, then the SEGA sports logo would show, then it would stay black and the disk keeps spinning. I then took the laser (whole assembly) out from saturn B and put it into saturn A and it worked perfectly. I even flashed an action replay cart with pseudo saturn and saturn A was able to play all the burned games I threw at it (North american and international). When I put all the lasers back in their homes and tried to boot some of the burned games I had on the Saturn B with the pseudo saturn cart in it, only 2/12 games fully booted. Policenauts and Galactic Attack. I really dont think it is a laser issue because I tested out the laser and it works fine and then I bought two new lasers for them and installed them. Saturn A works flawlessly with the new laser but saturn B still does the same thing. it does read and boot games but stops after the sega licence screen. What else could be wrong with it. Maybe a crystal oscillator is not working, or is it in need of a recap? or maybe something else?
Just for reference saturn A is a VA SD and saturn B is VA7 both ntsc north american
​​​​​​​Thank you for any help.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Sega Saturn issues
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 09:50:05 pm »
Hi RetroBish15, it could be a loose/unstable connection because of solder joints problem but I'm not too sure.
I hope somebody could answer your problem later but to tell the truth I doubt you'll find it here.
Most of members here played new consoles more than their retro consoles. 
My Saturn also had a bad laser and I haven't touched it again since I'm too lazy to repair it.
My suggest is you asked this Sega Saturn UK forum too, many Saturn enthusiast there.
Link : https://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/board/13/hard-wired
Wish your problem solved.

Offline RetroBish15

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Sega Saturn issues
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 10:37:00 pm »
Hey thank you so much for the heads up! Cheers!