Author Topic: dark room arcading: share your arcade gaming thrills  (Read 6457 times)

Offline east of eastside

• Total Meseta: 0
dark room arcading: share your arcade gaming thrills
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:34:42 pm »
SEGA Super GT aka Scud Race

Just did some dark room arcading...

Put a few dollars in Super GT and went on a nostalgia trip that gave me goose bumps.

There's just something about those Sega Model 2 and 3 racers that never got translated into today's realistic racers. Take this over a Forza or GT, seriously..

Even though the graphics have aged they still have that look to them.. sharp, crisp, cutting edge, stylized over those classic Sega metropolitan backdrops.. pure 90's Sega edge and Sega style.

I really hope it's not my nostalgia, but I think that there was a quality to those arcade visuals that have been lost to today's racers, actually Sega Rally Revo tapped into it a bit.. kind of  a vibrancy that skips straight realism for something more akin to that old school video game feel.

Handling and wheel feedback worked together really well to produce just the right drift..  Nice vehicle and track selection.. easy to get into but hard to master..

anyway, would love to see a modern rendition of one of these arcade classics with up to date graphic tech, but stylized visuals over sheer realism.

This is the art of gaming.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Show Yakuza love and pick up a custom banner here:
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=313960

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: dark room arcading: share your arcade gaming thrills
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 07:38:13 pm »
I really like this thread, but never had a lot to share.

Arcade thrills, eh?

Well, a few months back I was playing Daytona USA and a a large group of overweight african american women joined in (they were having a company party). I totally left them in my dust and placed first, then their team leader (or boss, whatever) announced the winners and said "First place... that white boy over there!"

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 07:54:04 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I really like this thread, but never had a lot to share.

Arcade thrills, eh?

Well, a few months back I was playing Daytona USA and a a large group of overweight african american women joined in (they were having a company party). I totally left them in my dust and placed first, then their team leader (or boss, whatever) announced the winners and said "First place... that white boy over there!"

oh, thanks! you're nice.  :P

thanks for giving my thread some life, it was kind of sadly reflecting the lonely obscurity of my life.  :|

Daytona USA and overweight african american women.. hmm.. going to really have to think hard to understand the cosmological significance of that..  
:afroman:

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:16:50 pm »
Okay then lets see...

I remember going to the arcades a lot as a kid with my dad, but I was really young, like must have been 5 or 6 at the time probably. Used to play Afterburner all the time and when you are that young it's the most amazing thing ever.

Moving forward to when I was probably about 9 or 10, I was playing some racing game (Can't remember what it was, I'm pretty sure it was 2D though, so before Daytona took over everywhere). I was playing in one of those link up machines, and there was a teenager with all his mates playing as well, and another guy as well. I remember I came second and the teenager's friends started laughing and saying "Dude, you got beaten by that little kid over there!", that was great.

Again moving forward to last year; First time I had set foot in an arcade in many many years (I was so out of touch, I tried to put coins in the machine before realising it was all done by swipe cards now  :oops: ), I found out there was an arcade close to the train station and whats more they had KOFXII (at the time it was brand new and I was really interested in trying it out). I jumped into the arcade mode, tried out a team of Raiden, Iori. Another guy came and started playing, he beat me easily. I then chose my more known favourites of Terry, Robert and Leona, and ended up beating him 4 times, when he then left. Next time I went there was nobody to play, apparantly the machine is really unpopular. Come to think of it, I remember hearing they might have replaced it with a BlazBlue machine. I should go down and check it out again sometime.

I know that they have one of the big Sega Rambo machines though, so I should go for that if nothing else. They might have had R-Tuned or something similar too... Maybe it was Initial D.

Either way, I wish I had more friends who actually liked games/fighters enough to come with me!

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:52:57 pm »
Thanks for the memories, MadeMan.

You have arcade soul, bro!
:afroman:

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 03:24:58 am »
Sadly, I do not live near any arcades, nor have I even seen many in my life... Even then, none were all that special. When I have, I do spend a lot of time and money on them.

The best arcade experience I had was with Virtual-On where I was the first one in the entire area to be able to really wrap my head around the game. People would surround me watching in amazement that I could do really basic stuff, and I would blast away any challenger to come around. I spent so much money on the game every time I went that the owner just eventually made a whole pizza for me!! It was such an amazing experience.

I did play some other stuff like The House of the Dead, Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Calibur II and Street Fighter II, but never with anyone else. I also once saw Virtua Fighter 2, but it was not working. I was pretty upset!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:03:10 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I did play some other stuff like The House of the Dead, Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Calibur II and Street Fighter II, but never with anyone else. I also once saw Virtua Fighter 2, but it was not working. I was pretty upset!

Never played VF2, but there used to be a VF3 machine at the cinemas we went to. I couldn't pass that game without playing it at least once each time. I remember I loved the game so much, and the graphics were so amazing I couldn't wait for the Dreamcast so I could play it at home.

I really should go to the arcade more often, i'll have to try and con my friends to come next time we are in town.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:53:29 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
The best arcade experience I had was with Virtual-On where I was the first one in the entire area to be able to really wrap my head around the game. People would surround me watching in amazement that I could do really basic stuff, and I would blast away any challenger to come around. I spent so much money on the game every time I went that the owner just eventually made a whole pizza for me!! It was such an amazing experience.

Heaven = arcade, pizza, and cute girls  :afroman:

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 11:02:35 am »
Quote from: "east of eastside"
Heaven = arcade, pizza, and cute girls  :afroman:

I could not possibly agree anymore, my friend.  8-)

Though, maybe some beer would help!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:05:41 am »
I think one of my fondest memories was playing Virtual On at the arcade for the first time. It just blew my brains, at the time it was like being in a real robot. I mean I was a kid.

The other one was going to some roller blade place with the family, instead of roller blading I was playing Ninja Turtles arcade game and then I noticed it.... a game that would dominate most of my life in the 90's.. Street Fighter II. There was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE line for that game, the wait was worth it... just to bad I got my ass handed to me by a older kid using Guile.

Offline east of eastside

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 12:47:25 pm »
Speaking of childhood memories, I actually have a fairly clear recollection of playing Zaxxon in an arcade.. must have been 82 or 83.  As far as I know this was my first experience with a Sega title.

'3D gaming' in the 80's

Who is 'Gremlin'?