Author Topic: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?  (Read 58150 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2015, 02:46:15 am »
Finally read on the site that this game has been released and George is kind enough to share the APK files.
Since I'm still at work, I couldn't get it on it right now. Anyone has played the game? What do you think about the game?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:17 am »
I've played 2 hours of the game so far. Contrary to the teaser and to Sharky believing that this would be better than Sonic Advance - it's not. It's a very fun endless runner, but it's not a traditional 2D Sonic title and it does not stack up against those. Still, the game has some very attractive graphics with 3D stages and black outlines around the characters making them stand out easily. I also dig the redesign of Sonic for the game, with a slightly smaller body and shorter quills, it's actually very much like the nendoroid figure and I'm hoping this is a redesign we will see again in the future.

As for controls, you tap to jump and can triple jump. There is no homing attack, and the spindash occurs automatically when you hit a downward slope but unlike boost pads in games like Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal you can cancel out of it with a jump. I've also not seen any boost pads in the game.

I do like the progression, with the story advancing based on how far you're progressed through the runners segments. Sometimes you might be on a streak and playing very well, and when you die, you go back to the story and progress through a full episode through to the boss. The cutscenes are super low tech, just talking heads of still frames, but the writing is pretty good and they make reference to games like Sonic Colors which is sure to please fans who like a bit of continuity.

As far as IAP goes, it's really not that invasive. There is no "gas" refill like Crazy Taxi City Rush, or a meter like in Jump Fever. You can play as much as you want. I've also yet to see ads, or "watch an ad to get rings". You earn a good amount of rings and red rings in the game, and I've yet to see any reason to spend money (which I guess is a bad thing for SEGA).

It's a fun game though, I like it way more than Dash and it is much more fitting for Sonic than Jump was despite Jump being a solid game.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2015, 12:06:37 pm »
So someone posted the credits on SSMB, and I'd say Sonic Team staff is pretty much in the vein of a Dimps release, without outsourcing to Dimps being such a small release anyhow.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:41 pm »
Well, its a fun game and I currently liked it more than Sonic Dash and Sonic Jump.

The game is 2D in perspective and I find that the speed resembles more akin to the Sonic Retro series, though the jumping is a bit heavier than the retro titles. I played the game on an Android tablet, the Nexux  7. I did have a few issues with the game; not game breaking but:

- The game had a weird minor slowdown especially when jumping.
- The game's menu's weren't designed for 1080p I think, look a bit lower res.
- IF you pause the game on Android and you leave to do something and the screen turns off, if you come back it restarts the game (annoying.).

Outside of that all I have played so far was like 40 mins and I had fun. Its a nice little fun game that has some potential I think.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2015, 01:32:36 pm »
So someone posted the credits on SSMB, and I'd say Sonic Team staff is pretty much in the vein of a Dimps release, without outsourcing to Dimps being such a small release anyhow.

could you rephrase this?  I can't make head or tails out of your statement. 

Offline George

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2015, 01:37:56 pm »
That its a smaller title, not made up of the full Sonic Team... team.

Which I thought we all assumed. Sonic Team also has a small team updating Phantasy Star Online 2. Sorta gives me validation that they might be working on a bigger game, for newer consoles....maybethatisit,don'tbesurpised...

Offline Trippled

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2015, 01:46:20 pm »
Sonic Team don't make PSO2.

To answer RadRappy, the director of this is the same as the handheld versions of Colors and Lost World. Meaning a smaller scale title.

Offline George

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2015, 01:53:17 pm »
Just noticed its not Sonic Team anymore its the Phantasy Star Crew....

TODAY I LEARNED.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »
Isn't it ironic how they used Sonic Team to promote PSO, but now they rather use the Phantasy Star name to promote Phantasy Star...?

Offline George

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2015, 02:23:06 pm »
Sadly there hasn't been a Phantasy Star game published in the US since 2010... :(

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2015, 04:30:33 pm »
I like the game. It's pretty vibrant. The music is keeping me from getting too into it though.

There's two types of music that I identify as Sonic music. The stylish, hip, timeless neo-synth-pop of Sonic 1 - 3k + CD and the bland, uninspired lame guitar rock of the modern games. This game has the blandest of the bland music.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2015, 05:33:09 pm »
It's classic sunoe.  The melody aint bad; it's just the fucking power chords are seriously grating after about 5 minutes. 

Offline George

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2015, 05:43:40 pm »
I didn't think it was bad, I actually thought some of the tracks where catchy. As good as Retro titles? Nah. Trash? no.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2015, 05:48:00 pm »
Superior music coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9zZus_1_ag
SEG4GES

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2015, 06:39:42 pm »
to a 13 year old perhaps!