Author Topic: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!  (Read 98741 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!
« Reply #480 on: September 29, 2023, 01:58:10 am »
Famitsu Sales: 9/18/23 – 9/24/23

1. [NSW] Pikmin 1+2 (Nintendo, 09/22/23) – 23,941 (New)
2. [NSW] Pikmin 4 (Nintendo, 07/21/23) – 22,894 (864,229)
3. [PS5] Lies of P (Neowiz, 09/19/23) – 9,493 (New)
30. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Special Price (SEGA, 11/17/22) – 1,305 (91,931)

Article : https://www.gematsu.com/2023/09/famitsu-sales-9-18-23-9-24-23

Offline Berto

« Reply #481 on: October 02, 2023, 01:32:15 am »
SEGA CORPORATION's Published Mobile Games September 2023 Summary

Total SEGA CORPORATION mobile app revenue in September 2023 was $12m, including $8m for iOS apps and $4m for Android apps.
Total mobile app downloads for SEGA CORPORATION was 5m, including 1m iOS app downloads and 4m Android app downloads.
SEGA CORPORATION has a total of 538 apps (inactive apps included), including 299 iOS apps, and 239 Android apps.
Their top grossing app last month was Project Colourful Stage! feat. Hatsune Miku and their most downloaded app was Sonic Dash.

Link : https://app.sensortower.com/ios/publisher/sega-corporation/302946768

Offline Berto

« Reply #482 on: October 02, 2023, 01:35:04 am »

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #483 on: October 02, 2023, 10:25:23 pm »

Famitsu Sales: 9/18/23 – 9/24/23

Article : https://www.gematsu.com/2023/09/famitsu-sales-9-18-23-9-24-23
If that video is how Puo Puyo battles are really like by the characters perspective then I'm honestly surprised at how violent they are.

I always imagined it like Yu-Gi-Oh where they make it seem like dueling monsters is a grand thing with monsters attacking one another and draining ones "life points"... but really it's just a card game brought to life with holograms.
(Unless it's a Shadow Game but that's besides the point.)

I've seen (on YouTube) the Puyo Puyo On Stage and while they depict Puyo Battles as a form of conflict they still use gameplay footage from Puyo Puyo Champions.

Offline Berto

« Reply #484 on: October 02, 2023, 11:00:34 pm »

If that video is how Puo Puyo battles are really like by the characters perspective then I'm honestly surprised at how violent they are.

I always imagined it like Yu-Gi-Oh where they make it seem like dueling monsters is a grand thing with monsters attacking one another and draining ones "life points"... but really it's just a card game brought to life with holograms.
(Unless it's a Shadow Game but that's besides the point.)

I've seen (on YouTube) the Puyo Puyo On Stage and while they depict Puyo Battles as a form of conflict they still use gameplay footage from Puyo Puyo Champions.

This is a problem when puzzle games were given a story treatment.
Tetris was some sort of puzzle problem solving in the old games' stories and suddenly now it has battle with Puyo Puyo.
When I first played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I never understand too how they battled with each other.
And I doubt it's using flashy special moves just like in the video since the gameplay was still basic then.
May be if there's a movie about them it'll become more understandable.

Offline Berto

« Reply #485 on: October 02, 2023, 11:07:09 pm »
Puyo Puyo manju!

Both the dough and the red bean paste are green in color, making it truly “Midori Puyo”
Please enjoy it ✨

Link : https://umetsubo.com/archives/21869

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #486 on: October 03, 2023, 02:27:45 am »
This is a problem when puzzle games were given a story treatment.
Tetris was some sort of puzzle problem solving in the old games' stories and suddenly now it has battle with Puyo Puyo.
When I first played Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, I never understand too how they battled with each other.
And I doubt it's using flashy special moves just like in the video since the gameplay was still basic then.
May be if there's a movie about them it'll become more understandable.
I imagine Puyo Battles amongst Arle, Amitie and Ringo are as treated as grand and as competitively as Duel Monster duels are in Yu-Gi-Oh, but with magic instead of holograms. No one really gets hurt but still feel the impact of the spells they cast on one another... I think. Not like the game uses "Life Points". It's just it looks like they have Puyo Battles amongst one another for fun and othe rtimes they have Puyo Battles to resolve conflicts.
Just like what they do in Yu-Gi-Oh and almost all trading toy/card game anime out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGJcRg7RFk

As for a movie adaption, I actually can imagine how Puyo Puyo movie could work, I have a rough plot in mind and how it be about loss and mental health.

Offline Berto

« Reply #487 on: October 03, 2023, 09:09:44 pm »
I imagine Puyo Battles amongst Arle, Amitie and Ringo are as treated as grand and as competitively as Duel Monster duels are in Yu-Gi-Oh, but with magic instead of holograms. No one really gets hurt but still feel the impact of the spells they cast on one another... I think. Not like the game uses "Life Points". It's just it looks like they have Puyo Battles amongst one another for fun and othe rtimes they have Puyo Battles to resolve conflicts.
Just like what they do in Yu-Gi-Oh and almost all trading toy/card game anime out there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGJcRg7RFk

But weren't there puyos and blocks falling from the sky in PPT?
And they'll get hurt when those puyos/blocks fall into them?

As for a movie adaption, I actually can imagine how Puyo Puyo movie could work, I have a rough plot in mind and how it be about loss and mental health.

That sounds dark...

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #488 on: October 03, 2023, 11:55:47 pm »
But weren't there puyos and blocks falling from the sky in PPT?
And they'll get hurt when those puyos/blocks fall into them?
Yeah but given these games don't spend much budget on the cutscenes and keep them on tier as "visual novels" of cutscenes. I understand falling puyo and tetronimo do cause some disruption but no lasting damages, and we're not sure exactly how big they are, but I presume the average size of a puyo is about a third meter tall or so, also being regarded as "slime monsters" their gelatinous bodies probably means less of an impact if one falls on you, I imagine it's more of a humiliation when you fail a Puyo Match and all those puyos pile on you.
That sounds dark...
Not if it's done right. Think of it more like how Inside Out depicted the mental health of a young teenager going through changes in their life using personifications of her mental health.

The cinematic opening in mind depicts a creature similar to the Beast but we don't get to see his face. He laments his one true love has died and casts a spell to be rid of his heartbreak and turmoil, literally causing a magical beam to erupt from his body and shoot up into the sky over his castle. This caused a cloud caught in the beam to absorb this colourful energy and start to grow into a more menacing storm cloud.

Next scene take place in a pleasant hamlet town where Arle Nadja wakes up, maybe sing a song, give the impression she is happy even though she lives in a house with an absent parent.

The "storm cloud" creeps over her town and begins to rain, only instead of raindrops it rain puyo. The puyo seem to be attracted to people of certain mental state, for example two men arguing, we see red (angry) and blue (sad) puyo stack around them, a sort of "puyo battle" that mimics the direction of their argument.

Arle goes on a quest to find the root of the problem and encounters a dark mage warrior who confronts her. They learn the puyo can be used for battle but require willpower to use, but their "fight" leads into a verbal confrontation where Arle loses... She feels sad about herself and her story is pretty much coming to terms with her mothers death that she's been in denial over.
After getting over herself, she and Schezo sort of become friends, and they go to the fortress where the monster that started it all.

It turns out the monster was "Satan" who, after purging himself of his emotions, become the handsome green-haired demon prince we all know him as. When he sees Arle, he believes she is his beloved Lilith, who has returned to her. Arle understands that the reason why Satan did all this is that he couldn't handle mourning the death of his wife and like her, he was in denial. They have a Puyo Battle which again is depicted as Arle reasoning with Satan to come to terms with his loss, she speaks to him with sincerity and pity while Satan insist everything is fine and deluded. This cause the puyo to manifest a doppelgänger of Arle which confuses Satan and... well, I figure it eventually ends with Satan having a breakdown and accepting what he had done, that she is truly gone, to come to terms and be able to move on.

He eventually undid the puyo storm cloud and peace is restored... but has a comical ending with Satan wanting to "move on" with Arle who more regards him as a difficult friend than romantic.

At least, that would be my pitch for a Puyo Puyo movie. A fantasy adventure film that favours "talking about our feelings" than just action-fighting scenes for the heck of it. And while normally most audience would find "people talking" rather boring for an adventure film, I like the idea of puyo battles being used as a representation of debates and arguments between characters. Arle is trying to get over the loss of her parent by keeping herself "happy", Schezo is a dark mage with insecurities and Satan is in denial over grieving for the loss of his wife. Characters we normally recognise as positive, happy-go-lucky sort in the games who are broken people in this film and how the "puyo storm" is both a bad thing given anyone caught in the rain of puyo become more emotional and confused, but also a good thing because the puyo encourage people to express how they feel, talk and "work it out" the same way puyo matches are played.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 12:13:08 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #489 on: October 04, 2023, 01:15:50 am »
Yeah but given these games don't spend much budget on the cutscenes and keep them on tier as "visual novels" of cutscenes. I understand falling puyo and tetronimo do cause some disruption but no lasting damages, and we're not sure exactly how big they are, but I presume the average size of a puyo is about a third meter tall or so, also being regarded as "slime monsters" their gelatinous bodies probably means less of an impact if one falls on you, I imagine it's more of a humiliation when you fail a Puyo Match and all those puyos pile on you.

Okay, puyo falling may not hurt that much, but block falling may.
Especially since the edges are sharps.

Not if it's done right. Think of it more like how Inside Out depicted the mental health of a young teenager going through changes in their life using personifications of her mental health.

The cinematic opening in mind depicts a creature similar to the Beast but we don't get to see his face. He laments his one true love has died and casts a spell to be rid of his heartbreak and turmoil, literally causing a magical beam to erupt from his body and shoot up into the sky over his castle. This caused a cloud caught in the beam to absorb this colourful energy and start to grow into a more menacing storm cloud.

Next scene take place in a pleasant hamlet town where Arle Nadja wakes up, maybe sing a song, give the impression she is happy even though she lives in a house with an absent parent.

The "storm cloud" creeps over her town and begins to rain, only instead of raindrops it rain puyo. The puyo seem to be attracted to people of certain mental state, for example two men arguing, we see red (angry) and blue (sad) puyo stack around them, a sort of "puyo battle" that mimics the direction of their argument.

Arle goes on a quest to find the root of the problem and encounters a dark mage warrior who confronts her. They learn the puyo can be used for battle but require willpower to use, but their "fight" leads into a verbal confrontation where Arle loses... She feels sad about herself and her story is pretty much coming to terms with her mothers death that she's been in denial over.
After getting over herself, she and Schezo sort of become friends, and they go to the fortress where the monster that started it all.

It turns out the monster was "Satan" who, after purging himself of his emotions, become the handsome green-haired demon prince we all know him as. When he sees Arle, he believes she is his beloved Lilith, who has returned to her. Arle understands that the reason why Satan did all this is that he couldn't handle mourning the death of his wife and like her, he was in denial. They have a Puyo Battle which again is depicted as Arle reasoning with Satan to come to terms with his loss, she speaks to him with sincerity and pity while Satan insist everything is fine and deluded. This cause the puyo to manifest a doppelgänger of Arle which confuses Satan and... well, I figure it eventually ends with Satan having a breakdown and accepting what he had done, that she is truly gone, to come to terms and be able to move on.

He eventually undid the puyo storm cloud and peace is restored... but has a comical ending with Satan wanting to "move on" with Arle who more regards him as a difficult friend than romantic.

At least, that would be my pitch for a Puyo Puyo movie. A fantasy adventure film that favours "talking about our feelings" than just action-fighting scenes for the heck of it. And while normally most audience would find "people talking" rather boring for an adventure film, I like the idea of puyo battles being used as a representation of debates and arguments between characters. Arle is trying to get over the loss of her parent by keeping herself "happy", Schezo is a dark mage with insecurities and Satan is in denial over grieving for the loss of his wife. Characters we normally recognise as positive, happy-go-lucky sort in the games who are broken people in this film and how the "puyo storm" is both a bad thing given anyone caught in the rain of puyo become more emotional and confused, but also a good thing because the puyo encourage people to express how they feel, talk and "work it out" the same way puyo matches are played.

That's an interesting take of Satan and Schezo.
Satan's always treated as a joke I started feeling sorry for him so I kinda like your version better.

I also kinda dig it for Puyo became some sort of emotion enhancer too, not just as an object to play with.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #490 on: October 04, 2023, 01:30:54 am »
Okay, puyo falling may not hurt that much, but block falling may.
Especially since the edges are sharps.
Yeah the blocks out be an issue... unless the decend as slow as puyo.
That's an interesting take of Satan and Schezo.
Satan's always treated as a joke I started feeling sorry for him so I kinda like your version better.

I also kinda dig it for Puyo became some sort of emotion enhancer too, not just as an object to play with.
Yeah, puyo have faces and colour that seem to correspond to an emotion.

Anger
Joy
Sorrow
Calm
Apprehensive

While in the games puyo colours are generated randomly, I can imagine scenes in the movie of heated arguments or compassionate reasoning between two people while puyo are stacking around them in colours associated with their words and feelings.

You know when you're having an argument with someone, and you really want to prove your point, but they speak imposingly or with reasoning that makes you feel their words are stacking against you? And that even if you don't want to agree with them, you have to give way to falter to their words and lose the argument.
That's why in my "cinematic vision" I compare puyo battles to heartfelt discussions. Maybe Draco Centurion is depicted as a "rival" to Arle, but when the puyos encourage them to talk it out and in turn they stack puyos together, they start to enjoy each others company and regard one another as riends, all the while the purple and red puyo pop away while green and yellow puyo begin to stack.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 01:32:45 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #491 on: October 04, 2023, 02:09:28 am »
Yeah the blocks out be an issue... unless the decend as slow as puyo.Yeah, puyo have faces and colour that seem to correspond to an emotion.

Anger
Joy
Sorrow
Calm
Apprehensive

While in the games puyo colours are generated randomly, I can imagine scenes in the movie of heated arguments or compassionate reasoning between two people while puyo are stacking around them in colours associated with their words and feelings.

You know when you're having an argument with someone, and you really want to prove your point, but they speak imposingly or with reasoning that makes you feel their words are stacking against you? And that even if you don't want to agree with them, you have to give way to falter to their words and lose the argument.
That's why in my "cinematic vision" I compare puyo battles to heartfelt discussions. Maybe Draco Centurion is depicted as a "rival" to Arle, but when the puyos encourage them to talk it out and in turn they stack puyos together, they start to enjoy each others company and regard one another as riends, all the while the purple and red puyo pop away while green and yellow puyo begin to stack.

Nice emotion picks for puyo color, especially green.
Green Puyo is the most popular one and since it represented calm, I guess Green Puyo is the normal one.
We are usually always calm inside, not too happy, not too sad, not too angry.
The most normal state.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #492 on: October 04, 2023, 04:34:54 pm »
Nice emotion picks for puyo color, especially green.
Green Puyo is the most popular one and since it represented calm, I guess Green Puyo is the normal one.
We are usually always calm inside, not too happy, not too sad, not too angry.
The most normal state.

I've yet to decide if my vision of a Puyo Puyo movie should be live-action like Sonic's films or CGI like Super Mario film, but the continuity and nature of the puyo will be different from the games.

Such as "Satan" be depicted as a cloaked monster who purges his emotions and transforms into a handsome dark prince, while his purged emotions become the puyo.

Also, I might rename Satan and Lilith, Puyo Puyo can get away with that in Japan, but I doubt the religious audience would appreciate the names being used so callously.
Maybe Lillith is renamed Lucy and Satan is renamed Cifer. (Their shipping name being "lucifer")
Unless Sega of America has proposed alternate names for them.

Offline Berto

« Reply #493 on: October 04, 2023, 08:42:56 pm »
I've yet to decide if my vision of a Puyo Puyo movie should be live-action like Sonic's films or CGI like Super Mario film, but the continuity and nature of the puyo will be different from the games.

Such as "Satan" be depicted as a cloaked monster who purges his emotions and transforms into a handsome dark prince, while his purged emotions become the puyo.

Also, I might rename Satan and Lilith, Puyo Puyo can get away with that in Japan, but I doubt the religious audience would appreciate the names being used so callously.
Maybe Lillith is renamed Lucy and Satan is renamed Cifer. (Their shipping name being "lucifer")
Unless Sega of America has proposed alternate names for them.

Satan has already renamed by SEGA of America as Dark Prince (or just Prince) so we can use that.

Lilith's name is not as controversial as Satan since lot of people's using that name.
Capcom didn't change Darkstalker's Lilith name to in western version eventhough they've changed the name of the werewolf, ancient robot, and merman.

But if you still want to change it, you can use how it's name pronounced in Japan : Ririsu (or just Riri).

Offline Berto

« Reply #494 on: October 05, 2023, 08:32:17 pm »
Puyo Puyo's Arle Fan Art by miyata__0529

Source : https://twitter.com/miyata__0529/status/1709132177701757066