Author Topic: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!  (Read 98631 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: SEGA Puzzle Games - If it doesn't fit, just flip it over!
« Reply #510 on: October 12, 2023, 12:14:11 am »
Compile Heart launches 2023 to 2024 title lineup website

Compile Heart has launched the “Compile Heart 2023 to 2024 Title Lineup” website, which introduces the new titles it recently announced it plans to launch by summer 2024 in Japan.
The full list of titles is as follows:

Death end re;Quest Code:Zion (title tentative)
Platforms: PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch
Release Date: Summer 2024
Copyright: Idea Factory / Compile Heart / NOW PRODUCTION

Madou Monogatari 4 (title tentative)
Platforms: PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch
Copyright: Idea Factory / Compile Heart / Sting; D4 Enterprise; SEGA

Todokero! Tatakae! Calamity Angels (title tentative)
Platforms: PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, PC
Release Date: ...

Website : https://www.compileheart.com/ch_titlelineup2023_2024/
Article : https://www.gematsu.com/2023/10/compile-heart-launches-2023-to-2024-title-lineup-website

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #511 on: October 12, 2023, 04:24:00 am »
Agree to disagree.
Even if SEGA didn't pick it up, another company would and it still could success with their themes.
Gameplay is still the core.
Just look at Tetris, no matter company who picked up, the game's usually sold well.

Also my first gaming system was PC and I did play and enjoy Columns back then.
There's also Columns-clone game called Wowtris (using PC MS DOS too torun) which gave cat-theme to Columns and it's more fun to play.
Too bad the game's dissapeared now, I can't find its trace anywhere, not even in the internet.
I think I remember playing a COlumns clon that had the statue of Liberty.
Depended on the goal then. Want to show the uniqueness of Columns themes (and unfortunately stays niche) or to ride the popularity of Puyo Puyo? I do still prefer the first one.

The story I have for "Columns 4ever", I can imagine both. The game could emulate the colourful art-style of Puyo Puyo but would still be set in the ancient world.
The various places Amethyst will visit will have themed background for Columns matches, just as Puyo Puyo has themed backgrounds.

The story is you're seeking the "crown jewels" of Carthage, each jewel based on one Columns signature gems. The yellow crown jewel is found in Egypt.

There, Amethyst befriends Helia. Helia is an Egyptian priestess and a big fan of Cleopatra, who she idolizes like a celebrity. She is snobby and vain about her beauty but when she realises Amethyst plight she is insistent on helping, showing her generous side.
(I'll properly introduce her when I finish making these profile sheets. Still working on Sapphira's.)

Offline Berto

« Reply #512 on: October 13, 2023, 12:58:18 am »
I think I remember playing a COlumns clon that had the statue of Liberty.

The core gameplay was really fun that it produces many clones and starts its own genre that is "match-three games".
Columns was the basis of a line of development of tile matching games based on shifting or swapping tiles.
It'd be then perfected in "Colors Game" (1999) then getting perfected more and popularized in Bejeweled series (2001-2020).
And "match-three games" as type of gameplay getting more popular after Bejeweled gameplay was used in Puzzle Quest series and Candy Crush Saga (2012).
Despite having to introduced the mechanic first, Columns sadly is not popular as the most financially successful "match-three games" of all time that is Candy Crush Saga.

The story I have for "Columns 4ever", I can imagine both. The game could emulate the colourful art-style of Puyo Puyo but would still be set in the ancient world.
The various places Amethyst will visit will have themed background for Columns matches, just as Puyo Puyo has themed backgrounds.

The story is you're seeking the "crown jewels" of Carthage, each jewel based on one Columns signature gems. The yellow crown jewel is found in Egypt.

There, Amethyst befriends Helia. Helia is an Egyptian priestess and a big fan of Cleopatra, who she idolizes like a celebrity. She is snobby and vain about her beauty but when she realises Amethyst plight she is insistent on helping, showing her generous side.
(I'll properly introduce her when I finish making these profile sheets. Still working on Sapphira's.)

I see. So graphicaly Columns 4ever is using Puyo Puyo's cheerful and cartoonic approach?

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #513 on: October 13, 2023, 02:26:09 am »
The core gameplay was really fun that it produces many clones and starts its own genre that is "match-three games".
Columns was the basis of a line of development of tile matching games based on shifting or swapping tiles.
It'd be then perfected in "Colors Game" (1999) then getting perfected more and popularized in Bejeweled series (2001-2020).
And "match-three games" as type of gameplay getting more popular after Bejeweled gameplay was used in Puzzle Quest series and Candy Crush Saga (2012).
Despite having to introduced the mechanic first, Columns sadly is not popular as the most financially successful "match-three games" of all time that is Candy Crush Saga.

I see. So graphicaly Columns 4ever is using Puyo Puyo's cheerful and cartoonic approach?
Yes, as well as the characters being "likeable" as Puyo Puyo characters... but at the same time I have the storyin mind which preserves the ancient world setting.

I mean, "cute anime girls" is a tried-and-true successful method. While Puyo Puyo has some guy characters (Schezo, Klug and Sig), Arle Nadja is the poster girl for the franchise followed by Amitie and Ringo, with major characters or most side characters being female. Plus, the "six best friends" formula was inspired by My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and DC Super Hero Girls. But also it is to coincide with the fact Columns games have six specific-coloured gemstones, so it all fits in a way.

>Scratches my head.
I dunno why I'm going through all this planning over a game I'll never make. I mean, I probably have more of a chance making Columns 4ever than I do my Golden Axe fan game. I imagine recreating Columns gameplay in Unity won't be that difficult (though if I ever decide to put the game up on Itch.io it depends if Unity's upcoming runtime fees or if Sega are lenient to fan games other than Sonic.)

I also keep having second thoughts if a Puyo Puyo × Columns gameplay could even work! Tetris was slightly modified to work for Puyo Puyo simply by making the five tetrominos colour-coded to the five puyo colours. Columns have six colours to that means either an orange puyo is introduced or orange gem is removed. (For a Puyo Puyo × Columns story, I do have a possible explanation on how the Puyo Puyo characters crossover and how the orange gems are absent but again I dunno.)
EDIT: I forgot there were orange tetronimos.

Also, I dunno if I should make "crush" (when the playing field is raised, limiting your space) should still a manual button-triggered function or make it automatically like "garbage puyo" are.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 03:52:11 am by Mystic Monkey »

Offline Berto

« Reply #514 on: October 15, 2023, 07:35:58 pm »
Yes, as well as the characters being "likeable" as Puyo Puyo characters... but at the same time I have the storyin mind which preserves the ancient world setting.

I mean, "cute anime girls" is a tried-and-true successful method. While Puyo Puyo has some guy characters (Schezo, Klug and Sig), Arle Nadja is the poster girl for the franchise followed by Amitie and Ringo, with major characters or most side characters being female. Plus, the "six best friends" formula was inspired by My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and DC Super Hero Girls. But also it is to coincide with the fact Columns games have six specific-coloured gemstones, so it all fits in a way.

>Scratches my head.
I dunno why I'm going through all this planning over a game I'll never make. I mean, I probably have more of a chance making Columns 4ever than I do my Golden Axe fan game. I imagine recreating Columns gameplay in Unity won't be that difficult (though if I ever decide to put the game up on Itch.io it depends if Unity's upcoming runtime fees or if Sega are lenient to fan games other than Sonic.)

I also keep having second thoughts if a Puyo Puyo × Columns gameplay could even work! Tetris was slightly modified to work for Puyo Puyo simply by making the five tetrominos colour-coded to the five puyo colours. Columns have six colours to that means either an orange puyo is introduced or orange gem is removed. (For a Puyo Puyo × Columns story, I do have a possible explanation on how the Puyo Puyo characters crossover and how the orange gems are absent but again I dunno.)
EDIT: I forgot there were orange tetronimos.

Also, I dunno if I should make "crush" (when the playing field is raised, limiting your space) should still a manual button-triggered function or make it automatically like "garbage puyo" are.

While both Columns and Golden Axe are franchises abandoned by SEGA, their genres are really different so I didn't know which one is more interesting to be ressurected.
But having a plan to make fan games of them is wonderful. The spirit of those abandoned franchises do live in the heart of the fans afterall.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2023, 08:53:47 am »
While both Columns and Golden Axe are franchises abandoned by SEGA, their genres are really different so I didn't know which one is more interesting to be ressurected.
But having a plan to make fan games of them is wonderful. The spirit of those abandoned franchises do live in the heart of the fans afterall.
It does.

A part of me does want Sega to "give a damn" and give these abandoned franchises another chance.

But I also fear that they will either take it t a direction I won't like (such as abandoning the ancient world look in Columns Crown and stack Columns) or if they end up with another "bad game" just give up on the franchise (As what happened to Golden Axe: Beastriders).
Or worse, both!

Still, I don't work for Sega, who am I to say what they should do and how they do it?

I don't even know if I should get Unity back given as a business I dunno what they're doing.

Offline Berto

« Reply #516 on: October 16, 2023, 10:37:23 pm »
It does.

A part of me does want Sega to "give a damn" and give these abandoned franchises another chance.

But I also fear that they will either take it t a direction I won't like (such as abandoning the ancient world look in Columns Crown and stack Columns) or if they end up with another "bad game" just give up on the franchise (As what happened to Golden Axe: Beastriders).
Or worse, both!

Still, I don't work for Sega, who am I to say what they should do and how they do it?

I don't even know if I should get Unity back given as a business I dunno what they're doing.

The "match-three" gameplay style in Columns itself at least has been kept alive (for some time) in SEGA Heroes.
Sure the gameplay is different, but if I have to pick about gameplay, I'd prefer the modern "match-three" gameplay in SEGA Heroes than Columns'.
It's just too bad that since it's a mobile game, the story isn't given too much thought.

Imagine if it was a console game and the story was being done as good as Project Sekai Colorful Stage or Sin Chronicles.
Those SEGA heroes were brought to many places/time in all SEGA franchises which one of them to be Carthaginian Empire.
Some sort of Sonic Prime's story, but with SEGA Heroes characters instead of Sonic.

Offline Berto

« Reply #517 on: October 17, 2023, 01:25:28 am »
“Madou Monogatari 1-2-3 (MSX2 version)” and “Puyo Puyo (PC-9801 version)” are available now on Project EGG!

Project EGG (Engrossing Game Gallery) is a Japanese retro game storefront focused primarily on selling older PC games (although it has a selection of older console and arcade games as well) on Windows 10 via emulation.
The service's major partners are Compile and Falcom, although Konami has released several of their games on the service as well, mainly MSX and PC Engine games.
There have been a total of 1149 titles added to the service, originating from across 22 different platforms.

Source : https://twitter.com/GamerNeJp/status/1714123161388941618

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #518 on: October 17, 2023, 06:19:28 am »
The "match-three" gameplay style in Columns itself at least has been kept alive (for some time) in SEGA Heroes.
Sure the gameplay is different, but if I have to pick about gameplay, I'd prefer the modern "match-three" gameplay in SEGA Heroes than Columns'.
It's just too bad that since it's a mobile game, the story isn't given too much thought.

Imagine if it was a console game and the story was being done as good as Project Sekai Colorful Stage or Sin Chronicles.
Those SEGA heroes were brought to many places/time in all SEGA franchises which one of them to be Carthaginian Empire.
Some sort of Sonic Prime's story, but with SEGA Heroes characters instead of Sonic.

Yeah, I never got to play the game. I'm missing out on a lot of mobile-exclusive games.
I mean, Sonic Speed Sim was an acception because Roblox can be played on PC. But I never played Sonic Runners, Dash or Speed Battle. I would like to, but not everyone's phones are practical for gaming.

But yeah, Sega needs more Sega All-Star/Sega Heroes games. It is sad that the franchises that Sega abandoned need these crossovers for what little fresh blood it can provide to their franchises.

Offline Berto

« Reply #519 on: October 17, 2023, 07:45:18 pm »
Yeah, I never got to play the game. I'm missing out on a lot of mobile-exclusive games.
I mean, Sonic Speed Sim was an acception because Roblox can be played on PC. But I never played Sonic Runners, Dash or Speed Battle. I would like to, but not everyone's phones are practical for gaming.

But yeah, Sega needs more Sega All-Star/Sega Heroes games. It is sad that the franchises that Sega abandoned need these crossovers for what little fresh blood it can provide to their franchises.

There's also a mobile-exclusive game too that I missed because it was an Apple Arcade Exclusive : Chuchu Rocket Universe.
The game is delisted now.
I love Chuchu Rocket on Dreamcast and Game Boy Advance so it's kinda sad to see I never got to play the sequel.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #520 on: October 17, 2023, 11:34:36 pm »
There's also a mobile-exclusive game too that I missed because it was an Apple Arcade Exclusive : Chuchu Rocket Universe.
The game is delisted now.
I love Chuchu Rocket on Dreamcast and Game Boy Advance so it's kinda sad to see I never got to play the sequel.

I don't get why these games can't have PC releases even if it is a limited audience.

Offline Berto

« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2023, 01:23:11 am »
I don't get why these games can't have PC releases even if it is a limited audience.

I'm sure they have their own reason. Beside, just because many fans it doesn't mean it would make profit. Sakura Wars for example.

Offline Berto

« Reply #522 on: October 24, 2023, 01:25:18 am »
SEGA / Atlus October 2023 SALE includes lowest prices ever for Demon Slayer, Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection, Valkyria Chronicles 4, more

Nintendo Switch eShop Sales :

– 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim – $23.99 (was $59.99)
– Catherine: Full Body – $12.49 (was $49.99)
– Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – $23.99 (was $59.99)
– Etrian Odyssey HD – $23.99 (was $39.99)
– Etrian Odyssey II HD – $23.99 (was $39.99)
– Etrian Odyssey III HD – $23.99 (was $39.99)
– Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection – $47.99 (was $79.99)
– Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Mega Mix – $19.69 (was $39.39)
– Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 – $29.99 (was $59.99)
– Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game – $7.99 (was $39.99)
– Persona 3 Portable – $13.99 (was $19.99)
– Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – $14.99 (was $29.99)
– Persona 4 Golden – $13.99 (was $19.99)
– Persona 5 Royal – $35.99 (was $59.99)
– Persona 5 Strikers – $17.99 (was $59.99)
– Puyo Puyo Champions – $3.49 (was $9.99)
– Puyo Puyo Tetris – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 – $9.99 (was $39.99)
– Rock of Ages 2 – $3.74 (was $14.99)
– Samba de Amigo: Party Central – $27.99 (was $39.99)
– SEGA Ages Alex Kidd in Miracle World – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Columns II – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Fantasy Zone – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages G-LOC Air Battle – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Gain Ground – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Herzog Zwei – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Ichidant-R – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Out Run – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Phantasy Star – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Puyo Puyo – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Puyo Puyo 2 – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Space Harrier – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Thunder Force AC – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Virtua Racing – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Wonder Boy: Monster Land – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Genesis Classics – $7.49 (was $29.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster – $19.99 (was $49.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei V – $29.99 (was $59.99)
– SolSeraph – $3.74 (was $14.99)
– Sonic Colors: Ultimate – $15.99 (was $39.99)
– Sonic Forces – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Sonic Mania – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD – $7.49 (was $29.99)
– Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania – $15.99 (was $39.99)
– Two Point Campus – $13.49 (was $29.99)
– Valkyria Chronicles – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Valkyria Chronicles 4 – $7.49 (was $29.99)

Source : https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-atlus-switch-eshop-sale-includes-lowest-prices-ever-for-demon-slayer-etrian-odyssey-origins-collection-valkyria-chronicles-4-more/

Offline Berto

« Reply #523 on: October 27, 2023, 01:38:44 am »
Puyo Puyo Quest - “Tokumori Tokkun” from “Magic Swordsman Series” Released✨

Let's strengthen the target ★ 7 characters on the "Tokumori Tokkun Board" 💪‼
Furthermore, if you raise "Tokumori Power" to Lv.10, you can "Tokumori Change" your character to a new appearance 💡

Link : https://puyopuyoquest.sega-net.com/info/detail/001262.html

Offline Berto

« Reply #524 on: October 29, 2023, 07:55:16 pm »
SEGA / Atlus October 2023 SALE includes lowest prices ever for Demon Slayer, Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection, Valkyria Chronicles 4, more

Nintendo Switch eShop Sales :

– 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim – $23.99 (was $59.99)
– Catherine: Full Body – $12.49 (was $49.99)
– Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Hinokami Chronicles – $23.99 (was $59.99)
– Etrian Odyssey HD – $23.99 (was $39.99)
– Etrian Odyssey II HD – $23.99 (was $39.99)
– Etrian Odyssey III HD – $23.99 (was $39.99)
– Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection – $47.99 (was $79.99)
– Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Mega Mix – $19.69 (was $39.39)
– Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 – $29.99 (was $59.99)
– Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game – $7.99 (was $39.99)
– Persona 3 Portable – $13.99 (was $19.99)
– Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – $14.99 (was $29.99)
– Persona 4 Golden – $13.99 (was $19.99)
– Persona 5 Royal – $35.99 (was $59.99)
– Persona 5 Strikers – $17.99 (was $59.99)
– Puyo Puyo Champions – $3.49 (was $9.99)
– Puyo Puyo Tetris – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 – $9.99 (was $39.99)
– Rock of Ages 2 – $3.74 (was $14.99)
– Samba de Amigo: Party Central – $27.99 (was $39.99)
– SEGA Ages Alex Kidd in Miracle World – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Columns II – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Fantasy Zone – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages G-LOC Air Battle – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Gain Ground – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Herzog Zwei – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Ichidant-R – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Out Run – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Phantasy Star – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Puyo Puyo – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Puyo Puyo 2 – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Space Harrier – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Thunder Force AC – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Virtua Racing – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Ages Wonder Boy: Monster Land – $3.19 (was $7.99)
– SEGA Genesis Classics – $7.49 (was $29.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster – $19.99 (was $49.99)
– Shin Megami Tensei V – $29.99 (was $59.99)
– SolSeraph – $3.74 (was $14.99)
– Sonic Colors: Ultimate – $15.99 (was $39.99)
– Sonic Forces – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Sonic Mania – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD – $7.49 (was $29.99)
– Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania – $15.99 (was $39.99)
– Two Point Campus – $13.49 (was $29.99)
– Valkyria Chronicles – $9.99 (was $19.99)
– Valkyria Chronicles 4 – $7.49 (was $29.99)

Source : https://nintendoeverything.com/sega-atlus-switch-eshop-sale-includes-lowest-prices-ever-for-demon-slayer-etrian-odyssey-origins-collection-valkyria-chronicles-4-more/