Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread  (Read 280275 times)

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2014, 10:49:04 am »

I think bagging the Sonic exclusivity deal was desperation though, probably the worst exclusivity deal in recent history, I can't think of a worse arrangement actually?

Agreed.  This is 100% on Sega though.  I don't think Nintendo intended to get three atrocious to subpar games when they entered into this deal.  If SLW had been a great game, it might have actually moved some units; which I think was the hope at the time. 

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2014, 10:51:24 am »
It might also be in a bid to entice more third parties to work with them. Nintendo seems to have a stigma surrounding them and their consoles of having slim to no third party support, and it wouldn't surprise me if part of that is that they are seen to be hard to work with.

If they make the effort to approach and nurture developers like Platinum or Itagaki's mob and let them make their dream projects it might then start pulling in other developers who previously would have gone elsewhere or not considered them. I'm also think it helps their image by breaking the stigma of 'Nintendo Franchises only' and also gives them some exlclusives where Xbone/PS3/PC seem to share most of their big games anyway.
Yep that's probaly what it is as well..and so far it hasn't worked. Mobile to diverting the attention from Nintendo. Before Sega released medium to cheap ports and original titles in order to get a profit..which worked somewhat..only Sonic vs Mario and MADWORLD were big budget games but nothing compared to their other titles. Now Sega is going for Vita and NDS and Mobile by using the FTP PTP model. While the others are continung to make big console titles and going into mobile and ignoring WiiU altogether. If Mobile had not become a big profit or the WiU had a big audience..as well as the fact that Wii wasn't profitable for many third parties because Nintendo games kept outselling them all..then maybe the Wii U would have stronger third party support...

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2014, 02:05:34 pm »
I got this as a tip, World of UScast said in their podcast (censored but if you listen you can piece most of it) that SEGA wants nothing to do with Platinum Games because they funded 50% of Bayonetta 2 and all they showed at E3 behind close doors and only had a trailer and a screenshot for PS3/360. Mostly why SEGA is cutting ties with Platinum Games:

http://oneofus.net/2014/09/world-of-uscast-wayward-podcast-vidya-games/

1:09:00 in.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #363 on: October 02, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »
Platinum Games do the Gearbox Pitchfford? Oh boy, this is gonna be interesting... xD

Offline George

« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2014, 02:18:23 pm »
Yeah, I was going to post it on the front page but really weird, dude tried to censor himself but not really. Its easy to piece together. I'm sure if Aki had a listen he would piece it better than I would.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »
I got this as a tip, World of UScast said in their podcast (censored but if you listen you can piece most of it) that SEGA wants nothing to do with Platinum Games because they funded 50% of Bayonetta 2 and all they showed at E3 behind close doors and only had a trailer and a screenshot for PS3/360. Mostly why SEGA is cutting ties with Platinum Games:

http://oneofus.net/2014/09/world-of-uscast-wayward-podcast-vidya-games/

1:09:00 in.

And what have i been saying all this time that Sega funded the game? What have  i've been saying that this fairy tale that PG have spun about Nintendo isn't exactly what happened? I don't say things about this stuff for the sake of it...

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2014, 03:22:31 pm »
SEGA wants nothing to do with Platinum Games because they funded 50% of Bayonetta 2 and all they showed at E3 behind close doors and only had a trailer and a screenshot for PS3/360.

I can't make head or tails of this statement.  Care to clarify?

EDIT:  So I listened to the podcast and the whole thing sounds pretty shitty if it's true.  However, it doesn't change the circumstances in as far as Nintendo is involved.  Atrocious action on PG's part for sure.  And what game did Sega's money supposedly go on to fund?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:33:19 pm by Radrappy »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2014, 03:34:27 pm »
And what game did Sega's money supposedly go on to fund?

Borderlands 2.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2014, 03:36:58 pm »
Borderlands 2.

No, the PG game.  If this accusation is true than PG pulled the exact stunt on Sega that Gearbox did by syphoning money into another project.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2014, 03:42:16 pm »
Borderlands 2.

Are you serious?, it was Boderlands the pre-Sequel for sure....XD

Being serious now, maybe it was MGRising or W101, games that had been released in 2013, Before Bayonetta 2.

Offline George

« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2014, 03:53:16 pm »
It was censored but I assume it could have been Wonderful 101? I mean, they where already done with SEGA's contract after Anarchy Reigns. Would make sense if they where working on Bayonetta 2 with SEGA before Wonderul 101.

It can't be Scalebound, that seems like a recent game and doesn't even have gameplay.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2014, 04:15:29 pm »
Does anyone else find it kind of funny that Sega is getting fleeced by all these developers?

I should contact them to let them know about a bridge I have for sale.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #372 on: October 02, 2014, 04:19:39 pm »
It was censored but I assume it could have been Wonderful 101? I mean, they where already done with SEGA's contract after Anarchy Reigns. Would make sense if they where working on Bayonetta 2 with SEGA before Wonderul 101.

It can't be Scalebound, that seems like a recent game and doesn't even have gameplay.

Wouldn't Metal Gear Rising make the most sense?  Although it's weird to think that Konami wouldn't have paid adequately for that.  Given that the W101 starred nintendo characters at an early stage, I dont see why nintendo wouldn't have financed it. 

Offline George

« Reply #373 on: October 02, 2014, 06:44:09 pm »
Wouldn't Metal Gear Rising make the most sense?  Although it's weird to think that Konami wouldn't have paid adequately for that.  Given that the W101 starred nintendo characters at an early stage, I dont see why nintendo wouldn't have financed it. 
Forgot that they freaking developed that game for a second. So now we have two possible games. Metal Gear Rising could be it.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:49:02 pm by George »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #374 on: October 03, 2014, 04:19:46 am »

But no one is going to say that officially..and i doubt Sega will do no more business with PG..but it may be a while. Also it doesn't help when you have game developers in executive roles...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:29:15 am by ROJM »