Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread  (Read 280296 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« Reply #465 on: October 15, 2014, 07:46:24 am »
If BAYONETTA and the other PG games were truly sale disasters..then Sega wouldn't have bothered with ANARCHY REIGNS or fund initially BAYONETTA 2.

Reigns was part of the original deal and given that the game had little push and was a complete flop meant the end of the deal for SEGA and SEGA not looking to renew their deal with Platinium

I haven't played NG2 yet. Is NG3 meant to be any good?

NG III is utter tripe , stay well away from that game. Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360 is just utter class (don't get Simga II) , but it just a shame that the games really takes until Chapter 7 to truly get going , but boy when you get to Chapter 7 the game takes off and throws everything at you and just becomes the best action game I've played .

I like Bay a lot, but feel like with DMC IV and III its really overrated and see O.TO. GI 1/II, Ninja Gaiden 1/ II as the best action games I played
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2014, 07:53:01 am »

Reigns was part of the original deal and given that the game had little push and was a complete flop meant the end of the deal for SEGA and SEGA not looking to renew their deal with Platinium

No it wasn't.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/platinum-games-extends-sega-deal/0108360

Announcement inbound, says Sega West vice president Alan Pritchard         
Sega appears to have extended its partnership with Osaka-based studio Platinum Games, following the completion of a four-game deal.
In an interview with Game Informer, Sega West vice president Alan Pritchard said the publisher was set to reveal another Platinum Games project shortly.
Sega’s four-project contract with Platinum Games came to an end in October with the release of the Shinji Mikami-directed title Vanquish.
Though the Japanese studio is free to talk to other publishers, executive producer Atsushi Inaba revealed to Develop that talks with Sega on a new contract were underway.
“The partnership has been great, and we are in talks with Sega now, but there’s nothing concrete we can say about it at the moment,” he said at the time.
Sega’s deal with the developer allows it to keep new IP – a stipulation Inaba said he would eventually like to turn around.

Now i'm sure you are going to spin this..deny it..create another flame war that has nothing to do with anything. But this is the facts. For all to see. Good day.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:55:06 am by ROJM »

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #467 on: October 15, 2014, 10:59:33 am »
It remains to be seen how many new customers it pulled, as the game has only released in Japan. It's not out in North America or Europe until the 24th.

Also, anecdotally, it has sold at least one machine, as I bought mine specifically to play Bayonetta 2. We will not know full figures until we see October's sales for the console, so we cannot tell anything of that apart from Japan, where it did do disappointingly. However, if it helps Nintendo in any way in the markets outside Japan, it was worth it. Nintendo needs all the help it can to get past it's image as the machine you buy to get the latest versions of the same old Nintendo franchises.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #468 on: October 15, 2014, 12:00:23 pm »
I would disagree with you, only because Bayonetta 1 deserves just as high scoring.
If you've already played the game: what do you think has improved with the sequel?

If not: please stop acting as if you have.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:03:28 pm by TimmiT »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #469 on: October 15, 2014, 12:06:00 pm »
Nintendo didn't actually think they would lose as much money as they did with Platinum Games.  They are a highly conservative business outfit and I doubt they would work with Platinum again anytime soon unless it's a sure fire hit.

source?  Or are you just speculating negatively?  Last I checked W101 bombing didn't change Nintendo's promotion/support of B2 one bit. 

In fact I would like to think they, being a highly conservative business outfit, were prepared for B2's dismal numbers.  Nintendo is more about long term sales and the quality of their brand than anything else.  Also, I thought this thread was supposed to be free of this stuff. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:10:15 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #470 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:25 pm »
If you've already played the game: what do you think has improved with the sequel?

If not: please stop acting as if you have.

I think you've misunderstood my point. All I'm saying is that Bayonetta 2 couldn't now be scoring high because of the new publisher, when the first game deserves just as high scoring.

I'm not comparing Bayo 1 to 2.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #471 on: October 15, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »
I think I'm definitely going to do a playthrough of Bayonetta 1 before jumping into Bayo 2. Anyone who's played the demo, can you tell me if the controls have changed much? Can you just use the old controls for consistency?

Also, my Wii-U has arrived but I need to go pick it up from the post office. Probably won't be able to play until the weekend, but I'm looking forward to spending Friday evening and Saturday playing the demo.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #472 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »
source?  Or are you just speculating negatively?  Last I checked W101 bombing didn't change Nintendo's promotion/support of B2 one bit. 

In fact I would like to think they, being a highly conservative business outfit, were prepared for B2's dismal numbers.  Nintendo is more about long term sales and the quality of their brand than anything else.   

Do you think Nintendo/any game company honestly releases games expecting to lose much money? Why would The Wonderful 101 failing change Nintendo's tactics on promoting Bayonetta 2? It's become clear the Wii U brand is toxic to anything unfortunate enough to be released on it, even Nintendo's own major series.

Fact is they picked up Bayonetta 2 prior to the release of the Wii U and I would imagine, were expecting a healthy million seller instead of the financial failure it more than likely will end up being. But at this point, not promoting any exclusive they have to shift hardware would be worse than ignoring it and letting your hardware sales slip further into irrelevance.

I was thinking just now. What are the chances bayonetta 2 is scoring so high because of nintendo's support? For one the game has been really long in development. Seems like there was no deadline whatsoever and hence no pressure. Also nintendo likes to put some of their own staff on 2nd party projects. I mean honestly if this would be the case I think its great that they published it

It's scoring about the same as the original Bayonetta, infact it's only one point better than Bayonetta on the Xbox 360.

Besides that what was The Wonderful 101's excuse then?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:24:01 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #473 on: October 15, 2014, 12:25:01 pm »
Why would The Wonderful 101 failing change Nintendo's tactics on promoting Bayonetta 2? It's become clear the Wii U brand is toxic to anything unfortunate enough to be released on it, even Nintendo's own major series.

Fact is they picked up Bayonetta 2 prior to the release of the Wii U and I would imagine, were expecting a healthy million seller instead of the financial failure it more than likely will end up being. But at this point, not promoting any exclusive they have to shift hardware would be worse than ignoring it and letting your hardware sales slip further into irrelevance.

Yes, that's old news Aki.  The failure of W101 and presumably B2 can be attributed to the platform, not the developer.  I don't know why Nintendo would refuse to work with PG again based on this premise.  Their strategy with the Wiiu is to release/produce as much high quality software as they can in order to make the system more attractive.  Like I said, they're in this thing for the long term.  B2's draw as a high quality hardcore game is still valuable to them, despite weak sales. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:28:35 pm by Radrappy »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #474 on: October 15, 2014, 12:47:28 pm »
Yes, that's old news Aki.  The failure of W101 and presumably B2 can be attributed to the platform, not the developer.  I don't know why Nintendo would refuse to work with PG again based on this premise.  Their strategy with the Wiiu is to release/produce as much high quality software as they can in order to make the system more attractive.  Like I said, they're in this thing for the long term.  B2's draw as a high quality hardcore game is still valuable to them, despite weak sales. 

Because if Bayonetta 2 is neither a hardware mover or a software seller, then unless Nintendo can dictate what Platinum Games get to produce, they won't let them. And as we know from various developer interviews, PG very much want to do their own thing.

Even Pikmin 3 shifted more consoles and software than Bayonetta did and prior to release of both sequel, they had similar sort of sales.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #475 on: October 15, 2014, 12:53:12 pm »
Made it simple for all: One Bayonetta 2 topic, no positive or negative title, just discussion :)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #476 on: October 15, 2014, 01:15:32 pm »
I would have preferred a new thread when the game came out, we've got hundreds of pages already dedicated to the drama surrounding the game, I'd like one seperate to discuss the actual game. Can we wait until October 24th and then make one for actually playing it? :afroman: :afroman:

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #477 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:52 pm »
I would have preferred a new thread when the game came out, we've got hundreds of pages already dedicated to the drama surrounding the game, I'd like one seperate to discuss the actual game. Can we wait until October 24th and then make one for actually playing it? :afroman: :afroman:

I think that would be fair. You can be the one that makes it if you want. IF Barry is okay with the idea. We will lock this topic when the new topic is created though. We don't need two different topics for the same game right next to each other. We are a small forum. Is the reason we merged all the existing threads to begin with.

Edit: Barry gave the OK. I'll be PMing you with details.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:42:40 pm by Will »

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #478 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:40 am »
What's the point of locking it..just merge all the topics and call it Bayonetta 2 the mega discussion topic...

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #479 on: October 16, 2014, 04:42:33 am »
It's scoring about the same as the original Bayonetta, infact it's only one point better than Bayonetta on the Xbox 360.

Besides that what was The Wonderful 101's excuse then?
wonderful 101 is a whole different game and irrelevant to the discussion because there's nothing like it to compare. Some great games just aren't for everyone.

Im assuming that you are using the metacritic score average to weigh bayo 2 to bayo 1's review. I think there's nothing wrong with that, but there's the issue of metacritic's selection of valid review websites imo. Its also very inconsistent in its selections as well. The point im making will be clear if you look at the reviews individually. A lot of 9's for bayo 1 are now 10's at the same outlets. A lot of 8's for bayo 1 are now 9's for bayo 2.

I mean lets list some of them side to side.

Destructoid:             Bayo 1= 80, Bayo 2 = 100
Gamespot:               Bayo 1= 90, Bayo 2 = 100
Giant Bomb:             Bayo 1= 80, Bayo 2 = 100
Gametrailers:           Bayo 1= 90, Bayo 2 = 98
Cheat code central: Bayo 1= 86, Bayo 2 = 92
IGN consistent with both a 95

The only one which I found to give a lesser score was gamesradar. I mean this is as far we can look for a decent comparison in reviews. Gamespot is stating a bad being "The sad realisation that future action games may never top this".

The only way we're gonna find out is when the game comes out. But having played the demo for a bit I could already tell that it was a polished game through and through.

So back to my point of bayo 2 meeting its full potential under nintendo. I think if salestalk and potential future of the console is important to a person, I can see where one is coming from. The WII U costs more than previous nintendo consoles and the investment has to be right for you. But if you're looking for the best bayonetta, it could be that a team like platinum games with their gameplay mindset was right at home under nintendo.

About nintendo expectations on the game's performance. I think both you and radrappy are right and the truth is probably at the middle. They probably expected more at the time when they got the deal, but a lot of things happened hence expectations lowered and focus changed.

The one thing that could possibly make bayo 2 a succes is this. The great reviews and the current installbase actually giving a damn + people who'll buy the console for bayo 2 in anticipation towards smash bros U. I have a feeling bayo 2 may do a lot better than nintendo's "current" expectations.