Author Topic: Why does SOJ show Sonic such contempt?  (Read 49062 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Why does SOJ show Sonic such contempt?
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2014, 01:13:33 pm »
Thinking back on how fucking glorious the Saturn could've been makes me physically sick.

Its been making me sick for the last 20 years,mate...If you knew the stuff they had planned for that system...only to see it disapproved by SOJ time and again until people just got fd up and left..man you'd..well...time will tell when that whole era and what happened is finally revealed. 

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »
And i just posted up a transcript of that interview where he said exactly that from Sega Saturn Magazine

Its not from that Sega Saturn Mag issues at all . All you done its troll the Internet and look for Interviews with the Sonic Team . That Interview is taken from SEGA Saturn Mag Issue #36 October 1998  ::) .

Now you want some  other Interviews with the Sonic Team and where they openly admit they wanted to try something new and different (after 4 and more Sonic in a row) and where they don't rule out a sequel to Sonic or NiGHTS ??? or even talk down Sonic ?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oSQqd1]

[/url]
'Yuji Naka: After I created the four Sonic Mega Drive games I wanted the create different worlds. That's why I created NiGHTS and, just at the end of NiGHTS development, I heard about Dreamcast. I believed that Dreamcast would help the Sonic Team to produce the best quality Sonic games

Are you even for real ? . Looking over what Naka-san said in 1996 and 1997 about Sonic and Project Sonic on the Saturn. In that same interview you posted he then goes on to say this and I quote ...

YN: I thought of the concept it's self right at the end of the NiGHTS Project -August 1997- Actual development started in Dreamcast last July

So two things . 1) The August 1997 date is a obvious typo on SSM part since NiGHTS was complete and came out in 1996 (so the date should read August 1996)  and 2) The Interview is taken from SSM October  1998 so 'July last year' would mean the DC project of Sonic Sdv started in July 1997 .

So like Iizuka confirmed to Retro gamer work on Saturn Sonic Adv was scrapped just after Sonic Jam and moved up to the DC. But for over a year the Team had been working on a Saturn Sonic game . 

Michael Latham who created and produced the 2 million plus selling genesis game ETERNAL CHAMPIONS

Well I've yet to see you even prove a link that EC Champions sold over 2 Million copies, never mind how and looking over that EC made next to impact on the Mega CD or helped the SEGA CD enjoy any better sales. The old guard of Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 3 and the like didn't really enjoy massive sales even on the PS , never mind Saturn . So why you or anyone else thing that Saturn EC would be a massive system seller is beyond me , more so when the Saturn already had more than enough of the best 2D and 3D fighters money could buy .

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:46:21 pm by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2014, 05:08:09 am »

Its not from that Sega Saturn Mag issues at all . All you done its troll the
Internet and look for Interviews with the Sonic Team . That Interview is taken
from SEGA Saturn Mag Issue #36 October 1998  ::)

Yet its taken you a whole week to find it. That's the difference..i don't need to TROLL anywhere..unlike you.

And none of your scans prove anything. I said SOJ. SOJ are in charge. They are the bosses. They could TELL Sonic Team whether they want another SONIC or they don't. That unlike Nintendo is the reason why the company is mismanged. Do you think any of Nintendo's teams can say i don't wanna do this because i'm tired? NO. The point is SOJ had no intention from the start to make a full on SONIC game. All you have done is proven my point. Thanks...

Now you want some  other Interviews with the Sonic Team and where they
openly admit they wanted to try something new and different (after 4 and more
Sonic in a row) and where they don't rule out a sequel to Sonic or NiGHTS ??? or even
talk down Sonic ?
Funny if i said Sonic team..i said SOJ. More twisting again...

'Yuji Naka: After
I created the four
Sonic Mega Drive games I wanted the create different
worlds. That's why I
created NiGHTS and,
just

at the end of NiGHTS development, I heard about Dreamcast. I believed that
Dreamcast would help the Sonic Team to produce the best quality Sonic

games

Are you even for real ? . Looking over
what
Naka-san said in 1996 and 1997 about Sonic and Project Sonic on the
Saturn. In
that same interview you posted he then goes on to say this and I
So two things . 1) The August 1997 date is a obvious typo on SSM part
since NiGHTS was complete and came out in 1996 (so the date should read August
1996)  and 2) The Interview is taken from SSM October  1998 so 'July
last year' would mean the DC project of Sonic Sdv started in July 1997 .

Why do you keep lying? I have the transcript which i posted already. That's why i didn't bother with the scan. All you have done is prove im correct again...But see for yourself...
Sega Saturn Magazine: Sonic Adventure seems to be an incredibly complex game. Where did the inspiration come form?
Yuji Naka: I thought of the concept itself right at the end of the development of the NiGHTS project - around August 1996. Actual development on Dreamcast started last July (July 1997).

Nothing there proves you right. It still shows Naka had planned for SONIC ADVENTURE for DC when you said that he didn't. You still wrong on all fronts in that respect...

So like Iizuka confirmed to Retro gamer work on Saturn Sonic Adv was scrapped
just after Sonic Jam and moved up to the DC. But for over a year the Team had
been working on a Saturn Sonic game . 
Yawn...Naka said otherwise..someone's lying...and i think i'll go with Naka...

Well I've yet to see you even prove a link that EC Champions sold over 2 Million
copies, never mind how and looking over that EC made next to impact on the Mega
CD or helped the SEGA CD enjoy any better sales. The old guard of Street Fighter
II, Mortal Kombat 3 and the like didn't really enjoy massive sales even on the
PS , never mind Saturn . So why you or anyone else thing that Saturn EC would be
a massive system seller is beyond me , more so when the Saturn already had more
than enough of the best 2D and 3D fighters money could buy .

Oh you mean the multi seller VF1 and 2 and the Streetfighters that took the western saturn audience by storm? Everytime you open you're mouth you prove to everyone why you are a bad joke around here. But of course the the steller sales of the saturn proved that didn't it?LOL EC was a big seller on the MD. I already showed evidence on it. Its even PLAIN to see when SOA decides to create two spin off games and several others after the fact including merchandise. Only Sonic enjoyed that type of money grabbing milking at that time. So don't try to sidewind the issue. If the game meant nothing SOJ would not simply have gone out of their way to block the characters TWICE. So keep dreaming about you're nonsense about the Saturn. SOJ ruined it. End of.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:13:04 am by ROJM »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2014, 08:08:21 am »
To be fair, I think Eternal Champions was a pretty rubbish game.
Had some baller characters though. It would be nice to see it get a second chance I guess.
I mean lookit this badass dude. He's wearing a trench-coat and beats you up with a grappling hook:

Then this cowboy lookin' motherfucker, he holds an ace of spades playing card in his hand sometimes.

They even had Wesley Snipes as Blade. He's so cool he wears sunglasses, years ahead of it's time this game. This pre-dates Wesker by several weeks.

What do you have to say to that? Shameful Display, Sega of America.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:33 am »
Yeah...in comparison with SF or even MK for the MD, the game it's not as good or funtastic like the other ones, but at least the gameplay is solid and the character designs are really cool.

The future guy is a homage to that character from ST:New Generation xD

Offline ROJM

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2014, 08:36:52 am »
Fair nothing..EC at the time was a well regarded game...with people applauding the graphic display  and the ideas of the game. Its easy to overlook its impact today because like many Sega franchises..Sega never took full opportunity with them when the iron was hot..but it was one of the games that sold well on MCD and if released on Saturn would have drew the crowd in..to buy the system...

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
Fair nothing..EC at the time was a well regarded game...with people applauding the graphic display  and the ideas of the game. Its easy to overlook its impact today because like many Sega franchises..Sega never took full opportunity with them when the iron was hot..but it was one of the games that sold well on MCD and if released on Saturn would have drew the crowd in..to buy the system...

It made a big impact in my home... A BIG IMPACT WHEN IT HIT THE RUBBISH BIN BECAUSE THE GAME WAS UTTER TRIPE.

Then I bought a second copy of Virtua Fighter 2 on Mega Drive so I could play vs mode via Link-Up cable instead.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2014, 08:42:19 am »
The biggest head scratching for software was the absence of a Sonic the Hedgehog launch title.

I'm not sure it's just the higher ups not wanting a Sonic game but more to do with the core team in Japan wanting to do something different and the bosses thought that they could strike gold again (And I wouldn't be surprised if some business execs thought Sonic's popularity was fading.)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2014, 08:43:43 am »
Umm, Sonic 3D Blast was GOAT.

Pfffft hahahaa,  Oh sorry, I couldn't say that with a straight face.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2014, 09:27:40 am »
I remember everyone at school going nuts over Sonic R when it came out, even though no one had a Saturn.

Man, Sega dropped the fucking ball.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:34 am »
I remember everyone at school going nuts over Sonic R when it came out, even though no one had a Saturn.

Man, Sega dropped the fucking ball.

I loved that fucking game, then I found out years later I was the only one, and everyone hated it. Nearly as much as Sonic Adventure 2.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:39 am »
I loved that fucking game, then I found out years later I was the only one, and everyone hated it. Nearly as much as Sonic Adventure 2.
I actually know some folks who love Sonic R as much as I do. It's pretty fun.
But Sega should have released a "real" Sonic game. The hype was there.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2014, 10:18:36 am »
I actually know some folks who love Sonic R as much as I do. It's pretty fun.
But Sega should have released a "real" Sonic game. The hype was there.

True. Sonic was my favourite game/comic/cartoon at the time, but when my parents bought me a Saturn and said I could get one game with it, I went with VF2 instead of Sonic 3D Blast. I could just tell it was a B-Grade title. I did not regret my decision in the slightest.

It's funny actually, my favourite Sonic game on Saturn would probably still be Sonic Jam, which is just a compilation disc. I mean, it's the best Compilation disc I've ever seen, but still.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2014, 10:41:11 am »
It's funny actually, my favourite Sonic game on Saturn would probably still be Sonic Jam, which is just a compilation disc. I mean, it's the best Compilation disc I've ever seen, but still.

Sonic Jam was (until the release of Sonic 1&2 remastered) was the ultimate release of the classic Sonic series. I loved how the games were not simply emulated, but were re-written for the Saturn, allowing for different modes and improvements to be implemented. It's like the Criterion Collection equivalent of rereleasing a classic game.

Offline DreamsDied13101

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Dreams Died on 1/31/01
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2014, 11:20:11 am »
Where does Sonic X-treme and Sonic Mars fit in to all of this?

Did SOJ somehow believe that those games were going to materialize and that would make up for no Japanese development happening with Sonic?

Perhaps the real answer is that Saturn was dumped on SOA so I'm sure SOA didn't even know it was coming until it had already been in the hands of the Japanese teams forever. Then SOJ could point to the incompetence of the American teams to deliver a Saturn game that would make it a success in the West.

Sonic was never as huge in Japan as it was in the west so SOJ probably thought they could push the Saturn with new games and make the western markets look like fools in the process. I think a lot of these power plays had a lot to do with how well the Genesis did in the West while it floundered in Japan. The Saturn was going to show how SOJ was on top again.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:30:29 am by DreamsDied13101 »