Author Topic: Have you been banned at a forum?  (Read 13202 times)

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Have you been banned at a forum?
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:12:37 pm »
I have.

I am a huge fan of Depeche Mode, the Synth band from UK.

I was registered at their forums, wasn't the most active forum member visit sparsely only when I had question regarding a release, song, or making requests for music videos.

A few years back Dave Gahan the lead vocalist from the band released his second solo album, the web master for DM made Gahan's website as well, I made a post stating the site wasn't as good as his other websites and the lyrics section, which has been a part of all previous sites is absent and I stated the most frequent reason to visit the site is to check on the lyrics.
http://hourglass.davegahan.com/
He posted stating the lyrics section isn't important, you get them with the CD and so on... but he was like I'll add it when the album comes out.

Month later the album came out, I went back the section hadn't been added bumped the thread.

He said, he isn't adding it.

I called him a lier as he had stated he would.

He deleted the thread altogether.

I got pissed and wrote an open letter, where I demanded respect and an apology "as I was a stake holder the most important one 'consumer' who has invested whole heartedly on count less records, cd's, t-shirts etc and fans shouldn't be treated so disrespectfully."

In response, I was banned.

It changed me entire perception, I never reregistered to the website or anything. I did take my open letter and post it at a fan site, where I was informed the guy is basically an asshole and I was #1000 something who had been banned.

It made me like the band less, as it turns out several people who have complained. Journalists at press confrences criticizing the website and they or anyone at the label haven't acted.

Now I rarely ever visit their website and I am not even as big of a fan as I once was.

I don't understand how people can be so shallow and keep registering at websites, they have been banned at or keep bitching about it to the world.

If SEGA were to screw me over in some way, I would ideally like to report to higher authorities but if they wouldn't seem to care then I would take my investments elsewhere. I wouldn't still dance around them and be a supporter or a member, you know.

So I thought we could share stories like this and try to see things through others eyes. I know a few staffers have received the boot from a few sites and i'd like it if they could share their stories and after thoughts as well.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Have you been banned at a forum?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:23:22 pm »
I got banned twice in the same day on a message board, I go to.

Kinda strange, this was back in the day when I had too much free time and I would spent a full hour writing movie reviews. Nowadays, I don't even bother...

I was using a image host that's no longer around, and I used the embedded code that they gave me.

It was around 2008, the message board Chupa-mos.com changed it's admin and I got two warnings over, I had written about 9 reviews back then, using that image host that nobody until then had an issue. Then I got a 1 year ban notice, I sent a mail to the admin about it, explaining my situation, ironically that was when I discovered Tinypic because she recommended it to me, since there was no link "back to us" code in it.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:27:59 pm »
So how did it make you feel?
You were pretty brief.

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »
Hmm, I think I got banned from a Nintendo forum once. They don't like realists in those things.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 05:57:06 pm »
@cube_b3

Oh, right, I kinda got sidetracked. Yeah, I was pretty ticked off, since I was member there since 2005. It's the largest general purporse Portuguese Message Board and my ban just felt so random. Also I had been writing these reviews for a long time and nobody mentioned this once. So I suddenly got banned over the rules that been changed for stuff that I had written so long ago.

I think it was also the reason why I don't put that much effort into writing movie reviews anymore.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 06:09:57 am »
I got banned from Sony Defence Force once. To be fair, i was really only there to troll so...

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 09:44:22 am »
I've never been banned from a forum, but I try not to stir up any trouble either.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:46:01 am »
Sonic Stadium

hahahahhaa

The Nintendo fans were just too easy to annoy over there. This is back when I was an ass in that regard, but still.. it was too easy..

Offline max_cady

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:08:46 am »
I have that problem too. When I read something that rubs me the wrong I often engage in too much a written jousting that a lot of the times have me regretting it. When I lose my temper and get angry, after I vent, I feel uneasy.

Because when one lose his or her's temper, you can say or do things that you'll later regret...

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »
Only by Sharky moderated forums. Otherwise, never!

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:43:16 pm »
Care to elaborate Bruce?

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:26:13 pm »
Sonic Stadium

hahahahhaa

The Nintendo fans were just too easy to annoy over there. This is back when I was an ass in that regard, but still.. it was too easy..
Who would of known?

Gamefaq/Gamespot - I said a meme: "i am 12 adn wut is tis?" and got banned for being underaged. However, this was reversed.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:29 pm »
Who would of known?

Gamefaq/Gamespot - I said a meme: "i am 12 adn wut is tis?" and got banned for being underaged. However, this was reversed.
If a website finds out your under the age of 13 they can't allow you to be registered. It's against the law to collect info from people under the age of 13 on the internet. I mean the chances of being caught are slim, but its better to follow the rules. You never know what could happen.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:15 am »
Never ever been banned. I might have gotten into trouble at the old Sonic fan site The Sonic Foundation, but never banned.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 11:28:12 am »
Never ever been banned. I might have gotten into trouble at the old Sonic fan site The Sonic Foundation, but never banned.

Shit man, that was the first Sonic site I was apart of.

You been stalking me all this time, bro???